• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

cbox

Dyno said:
Really? Tempted? There are so many reasons to have a computer in your pocket. For instance: it's impossible to get lost no matter where you go. You always know the hours of operation for any store you're going to. Taking pictures of anything.

It's like denying yourself a hammer or a screwdriver because you might do stuff with it. Tempted? And all of this somehow 'feels good.' Whateves.

It's an addiction, we were fine 20 years ago when none of this existed. You manage with what you have.

yes I own a iphone with data plan, but I'm reconsidering it. I miss my indestructible samsung slider I could keep for 20/month.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm curious what everyone pays for their plans. Mine is $53 a months taxes and everything in for my iPhone with Bell. I have 200 minutes outgoing during the day, free after 6pm/weekends, unlimited incoming, unlimited text, whatever the data is (can't remember but I've never gone over) plus voicemail and 3-way.

Edit: I also have call waiting and forwarding.

Roto13

I have a prepaid virgin phone for $30 with unlimited texting and incoming calls. I forget how much it costs to talk or when it's free. I don't call people much. :p

Fuzzy said:
I'm curious what everyone pays for their plans. Mine is $53 a months taxes and everything in for my iPhone with Bell. I have 200 minutes outgoing during the day, free after 6pm/weekends, unlimited incoming, unlimited text, whatever the data is (can't remember but I've never gone over) plus voicemail and 3-way.

Wind: 15 buks, 100 minutes. Talk to other wind which is my home unlimited. Home zone all the way to oshawa and missisuaga so it is nice. I had 35$ plan before with everything unlimited.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Fuzzy said:

Well my plan with Wind is pretty sweet.

Unlimited Canada-wide calling while I'm in a wind zone
unlimited text
unlimited data
voicemail
caller ID
some other junk i forget, I think I can do 3-way

for $40

There was a deal to get all of that for 29 dollars with them, but that was only for a year, while mine is permanent.

Fuzzy said:

http://mobilicity.ca/plans/unlimited-plans/

I have everything in that $55 plan during a promotion ($45) + one year multi-month which takes 35% off each month if you pay for the full year in advance. So I pay(ed) the equivalent of $33.80/month.

cbox

fido,

80 bucks with 1gb data, 100 min, unlim txt and free eve+weekends.

I'm not on contract so I have no room to negotiate :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Divvy said:
Well my plan with Wind is pretty sweet.

Unlimited Canada-wide calling while I'm in a wind zone
unlimited text
unlimited data
voicemail
caller ID
some other junk i forget, I think I can do 3-way

for $40

There was a deal to get all of that for 29 dollars with them, but that was only for a year, while mine is permanent.
I like competition and Wind seems to be good for the market; however, I will say the people I've spoken to who have it aren't exactly enamored with their crappy signal and service.

I'm on Bell personally, and I just wish one of these telecoms would pull their heads out of their asses and get things done right...at a decent price!

3 year plans?! 250 for a phone STILL?! Termination/early exit fees?! 50+ a month for how many megs?!

I'm surprised more people haven't switched though; 29/mth for a phone plan WITH a phone > 50+ for a phone plan PHONE EXTRA!

Divvy

Kuro Madoushi said:
I like competition and Wind seems to be good for the market; however, I will say the people I've spoken to who have it aren't exactly enamored with their crappy signal and service.

I'm on Bell personally, and I just wish one of these telecoms would pull their heads out of their asses and get things done right...at a decent price!

3 year plans?! 250 for a phone STILL?! Termination/early exit fees?! 50+ a month for how many megs?!

I'm surprised more people haven't switched though; 29/mth for a phone plan WITH a phone > 50+ for a phone plan PHONE EXTRA!

It's true the service is quite variable. I've personally never had any major issues with Wind, but I've had friends who have. So yeah, it might be hit or miss but it's certainly been a good choice for me.

I have never had issue with wind and I work in Toronto, Scarborough, Oshawa and Mississauga. I went up to Kitchener. I can not say too much about downtown core like high rise buildings. Never been there for long periods.

Dyno said:
It's like denying yourself a hammer or a screwdriver because you might do stuff with it. Tempted? And all of this somehow 'feels good.' Whateves.

It's more like denying myself a hammer that is in my pocket at all times when I don't really need it. I have a hammer at home and I have the internet at home for when I actually need it.

I used to be on the internet way too much and did my best to cut down. So now I'm only using it when I would be on the computer anyways. If I had a smart phone then the internet would be there all the time and might tempt me.
Now throw in the added bonus that I save a bunch of money on top of not wanting the phone in the first place and I don't see how you can find a fault in it.

I don't see why you care anyways. Can't one person just do something that you don't?

I have the same plan as Divvy, the holiday miracle plan (really is a miracle), god can you imagine it when LTE gets rolled out. GLORIOUS.

Coverage can be spotty in some places but overall for me in toronto it has been a 8/10, seriously can't complain for what I'm getting. Everyone has different experiences though, best to try it out first.

Firestorm

Rogers
  • 200 Weekday Minutes
  • Unlimited Evenings / Weekends from 6PM
  • 100 Canadian Long Distance Minutes
  • Unlimited Local Network Calling
  • Caller ID
  • Voicemail
  • 2500 SMS
  • 6GB Data

Total: $27.50 + $2.35 GRRF = $29.85 + 12% tax = $33.43

Got the plan in August 2010 with an iPhone 4 which I sold for $620 (so about $400 profit) with the intention of buying a Windows Phone. But I've just been going from BlackBerry to BlackBerry with a week of Android in there somewhere to try it out. Once Nokia announces their stuff we'll see what happens next! My credits expire August 2013 so I'll either need to have them renew it or switch to Wind / Mobilicity. I ain't paying $60 a month.
crazy monkey said:
I have never had issue with wind and I work in Toronto, Scarborough, Oshawa and Mississauga. I went up to Kitchener. I can not say too much about downtown core like high rise buildings. Never been there for long periods.
My friend was visiting me in Waterloo a week before Wind went live and had pretty good coverage there.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Anybody else get extremely low internet speed with Rogers at night. I go from 30mbps to 1.5 mbps without fail every night.
*shrug* Seems to be fine for me atm.

Of course, as soon as I say that...

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
SuperSonic1305 said:
Anybody else get extremely low internet speed with Rogers at night? I go from 30mbps to 1.5 mbps without fail every night.
No. Where in the city are you? I'm in Agincourt (North Scarborough).

Congratulations to Toronto FC for winning big 3-0 against Dallas tonight to advance to the next round of the CONCACAF Champions League!

TFC has been amazing since the mid-season signings!

Takao

Banned
Median said:
I can't really speak to the quality of the Radio and Television programs since I went there for Business Technology Management, but Ryerson is a decent school. One thing you really need to consider is the fact that it's definitely a commuter school spread out over a several block radius downtown. The campus life is a little different than most universities simply because most of the students are commuting in. You end up missing out on a lot of the social stuff that people on full university campuses are getting. Of course, that was my personal experience. Could be different for you.

Hmm, thanks for the info. Open house is coming up soon so I'll definitely check it out.

The problem with me is that I'd rather not have to commute long distances (nor do I want to live in a dorm) to go to a "complete" University or something, and UoT didn't seem to be that strong in Television and Radio (in fact, I couldn't find any specific mention of it in their guide) so I'm kind of stuck in a small area. Luckily though, I actually have a bunch of friends who are enrolled at Ryerson, so hopefully that'll make things easier.

firehawk12 said:
Has the MLSE curse touched Toronto FC yet? :p

Has TFC ever made the MLS Playoffs as a franchise?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
SuperSonic1305 said:
Anybody else get extremely low internet speed with Rogers at night? I go from 30mbps to 1.5 mbps without fail every night.

Could be that socket thingy the cable goes into...or the cable itself. Few years ago between 1pm and 7pm every day without fail my internet would just die on me then go back to normal later on in the night. I called Rogers they came by to check the connection and saw that socket was pretty much dead and they were surprised I was even getting anything out of it. They had to put in a new line for me.

Stet

Banned
Anyone know of any great resources to find an up-and-coming sequential artist in the city? I've thought about OCAD portfolio nights and such, but from all of my friends who went to OCAD, their illustrators tend to really hate sequentials.

I'm with Wind

All in the Family -

Unlimited voice
Unlimited Canadian LD
Unlimited text
Voice mail and all that stuff

15 bucks a month

And I'm on the older data plan which is 20 dollars a month for 500 megabytes

I didn't get in on the 35 or 40 for unlimited EVERYTHING because if I ever have to move or get rid of Wind I can give/sell the 15 dollar a month unlimited voice plan to someone who has no need for data :)

Divvy

Stet said:
Anyone know of any great resources to find an up-and-coming sequential artist in the city? I've thought about OCAD portfolio nights and such, but from all of my friends who went to OCAD, their illustrators tend to really hate sequentials.

I can give you the contact of the employment advisor for Sheridan College's animation program. He sends out job postings to all Sheridan grads and I know many of them are looking for work right now. I know that many animators would love to do sequentials especially if your project is interesting.

whitehawk

Banned
Has Winds service improved? I'm thinking of maybe going to them for a year with the $29 unlimited everything plan, and then switch back to rogers when the iPhone 5/6 comes out.

However I was with wind for a week last summer, and I had shitty reception in my house, had to go in the backyard to text. I would switch back if it has improved though.

Cool photo (I'm going to take a wild guess and assume this was taken during Gay Pride week)

il4q5U5ZxIPtp.jpg

sammich

Firestorm said:
Rogers
  • 200 Weekday Minutes
  • Unlimited Evenings / Weekends from 6PM
  • 100 Canadian Long Distance Minutes
  • Unlimited Local Network Calling
  • Caller ID
  • Voicemail
  • 2500 SMS
  • 6GB Data

Total: $27.50 + $2.35 GRRF = $29.85 + 12% tax = $33.43

Got the plan in August 2010 with an iPhone 4 which I sold for $620 (so about $400 profit) with the intention of buying a Windows Phone. But I've just been going from BlackBerry to BlackBerry with a week of Android in there somewhere to try it out. Once Nokia announces their stuff we'll see what happens next! My credits expire August 2013 so I'll either need to have them renew it or switch to Wind / Mobilicity. I ain't paying $60 a month.My friend was visiting me in Waterloo a week before Wind went live and had pretty good coverage there.

How the F did you get that total with the 6GB data plan. My phone plan is comparable or almost the same but i have an addition $30 with the 6GB data.

whitehawk

Banned
sammich said:
How the F did you get that total with the 6GB data plan. My phone plan is comparable or almost the same but i have an addition $30 with the 6GB data.
I'm pretty sure he called retentions and got really lucky.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
whitehawk said:
I'm pretty sure he called retentions and got really lucky.

Firestorm would call it mad skillz.

Playing the retention game will save you a bunch of money. But remember you're still playing with the devil. :p

DevelopmentArrested said:
Awesome time lapse video of Toronto
http://t.co/cVxf8BQ9

Wow. Just awesome. Thanks for posting!

While we are on the topic of cool photos.. lately, there are a few groups of people taking some ballsy / dangerous photos in Toronto by sneaking onto skyscraper rooftops and/or cranes:

ib25Y10IE6IQfe.jpg

iHGMermmg0TvG.jpg

All these images are taken from various flickr accounts.

Firestorm

EvilMario said:

Playing the retention game will save you a bunch of money. But remember you're still playing with the devil. :p
Mostly luck though :p They screwed up in my favour. It was going to be $40 at first. I usually use my plan as an example of why people should call retentions but I don't believe you should call with the intention of getting that low. About $50 for a voice+data+text plan on the Big 3 is good these days although if you're in Toronto / Vancouver / other big city, Wind and Mobilicity are probably the way to go these days. The cell phone landscape has changed a LOT in the last 5 years.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:

So? Don't leave us in suspense. You a hoser now or what?

whitehawk

Banned
Firestorm said:
Mostly luck though :p They screwed up in my favour. It was going to be $40 at first. I usually use my plan as an example of why people should call retentions but I don't believe you should call with the intention of getting that low. About $50 for a voice+data+text plan on the Big 3 is good these days although if you're in Toronto / Vancouver / other big city, Wind and Mobilicity are probably the way to go these days. The cell phone landscape has changed a LOT in the last 5 years.
But Wind doesn't have the iPhone :( Does Mobilicity?

Blackhead

Redarse
whitehawk said:
Galaxy Nexus/Dell Venue Pro on Wind/Mobilicity or iPhone 4S/new WP7 on Koodo seems to be the way to go. Blackberries are available with every band if that's your thing. It's been fun researching Canada carrier plans. So much choice compared to America (although many of the options are shit).

Firestorm

whitehawk said:
The reason they don't is they use the same frequences as T-Mobile USA. Basically if T-Mobile gets something, Wind / Mobilicity will be able to run them. Apple does not make an iPhone that works on those frequencies.

I got bored of iOS long ago so it doesn't affect me but yeah if you want iPhone 4S, you'll need to stick with the big 3 or their second tier brands (Fido, Virgin, Koodo).

whitehawk

Banned
Man, Koodo's iPhone plans are even more expensive than Rogers.

I'll probably just buy an iPod touch, and then sell it next year and get an iPhone 5/6

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We've been enjoying our Nexus S way more than we would have if we ended up with an iPhone. It tailors to our nerdom a lot better (or at least easier). iOS and its restrictive nature just turn me off to it entirely.

Oh, and awesome video / pictures. I wish I had access to some of the tall downtown buildings to take shots. :(

Kuro Madoushi said:
So? Don't leave us in suspense. You a hoser now or what?

Tomorrow at 1pm. Do they let you know on the spot if you pass, or fail? I sure hope so.

Is the Prime coming to Wind?

And Wind's service has always worked for me, but it has definitely improved quite a bit as time goes on.......works very well all over Vaughan and Downtown TO, and Ottawa

Top Bottom