• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Rinoa

Takao said:
Uh, yes. The Catholic curriculum isn't aimed at making students right wing followers of Glen Beck or something.

This.

The whole right wing extreme stuff is more of something that happens in public schools in the USA.

Azih

firehawk12 said:
What exactly makes the curriculum "Catholic" then? There's a small part of me that is imagining junior seminary school with uniforms and strict teachers - which is my problem, admittedly.
Uniforms? Some emphasis on being moral? Muslim parents like sending their kids to the Catholic public schools so they're not really like what you're imagining.

Sober

firehawk12 said:
What exactly makes the curriculum "Catholic" then? There's a small part of me that is imagining junior seminary school with uniforms and strict teachers - which is my problem, admittedly.
When I was in elementary, this was in the 90s to 03 I think. Teachers were Catholic, students were (for the most part) Catholic too. We had a class on religion every year but it wasn't really like bible thumping if that's what you are thinking. We would do things like read the parables and interpret them and how they work into how we should act in real life (even if we are using elementary school interpretations - I have my own position on religion after my experience in a Catholic school but that's another discussion). We would have assemblies that doubled as mass/church for the school on certain days where we would all get lessons again, or just typical mass celebration. (and for the record, my church attendance is and still is abyssmal). The only things that involved going to Church at a Catholic school (if you were Catholic) is they would organize Communion for you as well as another rite (I totally cannot remember).

Other than that, I didn't really see anything different in English, math, history (which they could've laced with tons of "Catholic propaganda" but didn't), geography, science, etc.

These days my local Catholic school is probably less of a Catholic school from what I've heard as far as students and teachers go. Everyone that went to the school in the neighbourhood has pretty much not left so the school is more willing to take other non-Catholic students and teachers. I'm pretty sure this is part of a more broad phenomenon elsewhere in the GTA though, possibly. I have a Muslim friend who attended a Catholic high school for all intents and purposes but she is pretty much still a Muslim.

Takao

Banned
firehawk12 said:

Well, elementary has already been covered, but at my high school it's required that every student takes 1 of 2 possible Religion courses in each year of enrollment (though the courses usually aren't Catholic, or even Christianity exclusive, if you are a non-Catholic student attending a Catholic school I don't believe you have to attend that class). We have a chapel, we wear uniforms, we have a morning prayer, we go to a local church at every major point in the year (beginning of the year, Christmas, Easter, and end of year), and we have crosses in each of our classes.

At least in my school, the religion didn't really bleed into any courses. Like I wasn't measuring things with a crucifix shaped ruler or anything, haha.

Azuran

Banned
EvilMario said:
Thanks everyone, it's great to be a citizen finally even though it has felt like I've been Canadian for years!

And the news that the TTC 'voice' will be replaced by a computer generated voice in the coming years got to be wondering who exactly does all the voices for the subways, etc.

ZrDnL.jpg

The woman on the left is Cheryl Bome, and she voices the streetcar / bus routes, and on the right is Susan Bigioni, who has been voicing the subway stops since 2007. Openfile Toronto did a small piece on them recently. http://toronto.openfile.ca/toronto/text/meet-voices-ttc

Okay, this pissed me off more than it should had. Also, they have voices in buses? I never really noticed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Azuran said:
Okay, this pissed me off more than it should had. Also, they have voices in buses? I never really noticed.
Yeah, they've had voices ever since they added that GPS-based sign thing onto them. I'm still baffled about that.

----

On Catholic school - so it seems like these schools exist more as some form of tradition because no government is going to risk pissing off voters rather than any actual need for a separate "Catholic" education then?

firehawk12 said:
Catholic school - so it seems like these schools exist more as some form of tradition because no government is going to risk pissing off voters rather than any actual need for a separate "Catholic" education then?

Every rational person knows that there shouldn't be one religion tied in with the public school system in any way. It should be all or none. (of course I mean it should really be none)

As you say though, no politician wants to be the one to do what is obviously the correct thing to do as it would bring too much heat on them.

Dyno

firehawk12 said:
On Catholic school - so it seems like these schools exist more as some form of tradition because no government is going to risk pissing off voters rather than any actual need for a separate "Catholic" education then?

Yeah there's no logical justification for the Catholic school board, merely a historical one. They were a powerful group back during the formation of the country and they used their clout to gain certain special priviledges. Politicians who muse over ending the system in the name of equality tend to not get elected. John Tory got burned by this very issue.

ZZMitch

Rinoa said:
This.

The whole right wing extreme stuff is more of something that happens in public schools in the USA.
As someone who attended public school in the USA this really wasnt the case for me. public schools go to great lengths to keep religious/extreme political stuff out of the classrooms at least from where I am from.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah right, now I remember what happened two elections ago. Yikes.

Well, to bring it back on topic (there's a topic??), I suppose if the Afrocentric school isn't explicitly segregating kids (that is, it's not their fault if non-Black parents aren't sending their kids to this school), then really it just exists in the same state as a typical Catholic school. It's the same education with some of cultural trappings that help kids better engage with the curriculum.

ZZMitch said:
As someone who attended public school in the USA this really wasnt the case for me. public schools go to great lengths to keep religious/extreme political stuff out of the classrooms at least from where I am from.

This is correct. My wife is from Massachusetts and confirmed this for me. Although she had friends who attended schools in other States where they wouldn't teach evolution. I think that it does happen in the US but only in very few districts.

oh and by the way... you are the person that came to Toronto for school, right? How are you liking the city so far?

Sober

firehawk12 said:
Ah right, now I remember what happened two elections ago. Yikes.

Well, to bring it back on topic (there's a topic??), I suppose if the Afrocentric school isn't explicitly segregating kids (that is, it's not their fault if non-Black parents aren't sending their kids to this school), then really it just exists in the same state as a typical Catholic school. It's the same education with some of cultural trappings that help kids better engage with the curriculum.
Similar but not the same state. Even in elementary we had events where we celebrated multiculturalism, things like productions or even potlucks where we would bring some cultural dish to lunch and we'd get a mix of Italian, Chinese, Polish, Indian, Sri Lankan, Filipino, etc. food. I'd wager the Afrocentric school program is trying to recruit the same things that already work in other school systems but more focused. Believe me, I think they are a fantastic idea to their students engaged and willing to learn, but my main concern is that they are segregated from everyone else and they need to figure a way out to reintroduce them into the greater multicultural society in Canada if not by the end of the elementary phase then it has to start during the teen years or something.

ZZMitch

added_time said:
This is correct. My wife is from Massachusetts and confirmed this for me. Although she had friends who attended schools in other States where they wouldn't teach evolution. I think that it does happen in the US but only in very few districts.

oh and by the way... you are the person that came to Toronto for school, right? How are you liking the city so far?
Yeah I came to Toronto for school. I am having a great time so far. My grades are good and I love how I can walk anywhere inabout five minutes. I love all the underground stuff and the street food vendors are awesome! The campus is beautiful too, there are wedding pictures at least once a week outside of my dorm.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sober said:
Similar but not the same state. Even in elementary we had events where we celebrated multiculturalism, things like productions or even potlucks where we would bring some cultural dish to lunch and we'd get a mix of Italian, Chinese, Polish, Indian, Sri Lankan, Filipino, etc. food. I'd wager the Afrocentric school program is trying to recruit the same things that already work in other school systems but more focused. Believe me, I think they are a fantastic idea to their students engaged and willing to learn, but my main concern is that they are segregated from everyone else and they need to figure a way out to reintroduce them into the greater multicultural society in Canada if not by the end of the elementary phase then it has to start during the teen years or something.
Honestly, it probably doesn't help that even though Canada has a rich Black history - for both good and ill - it really isn't taught in school because it's not "easy" to teach like, say, MLK Jr. Pretty much everything I know about Black Canadian history outside of the perfunctory mention of the underground railroad I learned outside of my public education... so I can see why, say, having a curriculum that focuses on Black Canadian history and literature and music would be a very good idea, especially for a demographic that typically does not engage with the traditional structures of learning. I'm assuming that the curriculum isn't trying to posit an "us vs them" mentality either though.

I do feel that tokenistic multiculturalism does more of a disservice than anything. It's just a reminder of difference that is only allowed to be expressed at certain designated times of the year.

Speaking personally as a Chinese Canadian though, I would have loved if my Canadian history class included a section on Chinese Canadian soldiers who volunteered to help the British infiltrate China as spies despite the fact that they faced racism in Canada, or a history of Kew Dock Yip, the first Chinese Canadian lawyer, and his fight to end the Chinese Exclusion Act. Again, these are things that I feel are a part of my greater experience as a Chinese Canadian and impact me more than some guys who fought in Quebec whose names I can't even remember, yet I only learned about them in my 20s - through my own research.

ili0926

firehawk12 said:
Honestly, it probably doesn't help that even though Canada has a rich Black history - for both good and ill - it really isn't taught in school because it's not "easy" to teach like, say, MLK Jr. Pretty much everything I know about Black Canadian history outside of the perfunctory mention of the underground railroad I learned outside of my public education... so I can see why, say, having a curriculum that focuses on Black Canadian history and literature and music would be a very good idea, especially for a demographic that typically does not engage with the traditional structures of learning. I'm assuming that the curriculum isn't trying to posit an "us vs them" mentality either though.

I do feel that tokenistic multiculturalism does more of a disservice than anything. It's just a reminder of difference that is only allowed to be expressed at certain designated times of the year.

Speaking personally as a Chinese Canadian though, I would have loved if my Canadian history class included a section on Chinese Canadian soldiers who volunteered to help the British infiltrate China as spies despite the fact that they faced racism in Canada, or a history of Kew Dock Yip, the first Chinese Canadian lawyer, and his fight to end the Chinese Exclusion Act. Again, these are things that I feel are a part of my greater experience as a Chinese Canadian and impact me more than some guys who fought in Quebec whose names I can't even remember, yet I only learned about them in my 20s - through my own research.

We did learn about how Norman Bethune did good in China...but that's not really the same as what you're talking about I guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
ili0926 said:
We did learn about how Norman Bethune did good in China...but that's not really the same as what you're talking about I guess.
The only part of Canadian history involving China that I remember learning is that the British basically screwed over the Canadian soldiers stationed in HK and left them to fend for themselves when the Japanese invaded. I'll say, it wasn't exactly the most diverse historical education anyway.

I don't necessarily want to blame the curriculum either, because if you want to create a generic education that serves millions of kids, then there's only so much you can do, but I can just see why some people would enjoy a more specialized education tailored to their specific ethnic or cultural situation.

Entropia

No One Remembers
EvilMario said:
Thanks everyone, it's great to be a citizen finally even though it has felt like I've been Canadian for years!

And the news that the TTC 'voice' will be replaced by a computer generated voice in the coming years got to be wondering who exactly does all the voices for the subways, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/ZrDnL.jpg

The woman on the left is Cheryl Bome, and she voices the streetcar / bus routes, and on the right is Susan Bigioni, who has been voicing the subway stops since 2007. Openfile Toronto did a small piece on them recently. [url]http://toronto.openfile.ca/toronto/text/meet-voices-ttc[/url][/QUOTE]

Do they do it live? :p

Holmes

Ok, I'll mostly talk about my high school experience. I went to school in middle of fucking nowhere, Northern Ontario, where everyone is catholic. I attended catholic school for my whole pre-university life. The extent of catholic influence in high school was that there was a prayer before the announcements every morning(after the national anthem) and that there was usually an assembly in the auditorium for Christmas and Easter.

On the topic of catholic schools making everyone right wing. I can't talk about the catholic school boards here in the south, but up north, which is very rural and catholic I might add, the school boards are very liberal. We've never worn school uniforms, and the motion got rejected by the school board handily every time it was up for a vote. We only needed one religion credit to get our high school diploma - and it was a world religion class where we learned about every major world religion and the roots of modern religion. A lot of kids were out of the closet, and the teachers (that I knew) were very supportive and nice. Some weren't even catholic.

Only once do I remember the school sponsoring a "right-wing" event, and that was a pro-life presentation in the auditorium. Which I skipped. And when the presentation was over, my teacher opened up a discussion about it in his class, and he started by saying that he was pro-choice. In fact, I would say my high school was more into promoting francophone identity than catholic identity (I've always attended French schools). Not to say it didn't care about its catholic identity.

So yeah, I guess I support publicly funded catholic school boards. And like I said, I'm not a practicing catholic, and I didn't hide it. A lot of people didn't. But since I actually had an experience in one, which lasted over 12 years, I know what really goes on in catholic schools, and it's not as scary as you think.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't notice stop announcements? Pay attention to the bus announcements nest time...

As for Catholic schools, I'm surprised to hear those impressions.

Rinoa

I'm surprised by the impressions as well, I just don't see what the basis for them would have been since the only time I hear of schools that don't teach sex-ed/etc are in USA news and about public schools.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pretty much. Although I do remember a case somewhere in Canada where a Catholic school fired a gay teacher or something like that.

Sober

firehawk12 said:
There are just some histories that are hard to teach to anyone that is not at a university level. I occasionally still chat with my high school history teacher and while I was taking all these cool history courses she would always comment on how impossible it is just try to teach say, Islamic or Arabic history or even Chinese. I don't remember even doing much if any Chinese history in high school.

It was 2005 and even then, grade 12 history was "West and the World" (literally that was the course name) and it was still mostly 11th to 19th century European (as much of the big topics you can teach to high schoolers) while trying to integrate the rest of the world into it (sadly most of it involves 18th, 19th century colonialism). Even then there wasn't much because even though the board mandated teaching a broader history in the scope of European history you miss plenty of things, like China and Japan pre-Imperialism or never touching the Arabian peninsula.

Grade 11 was Ancient civs and we never went anywhere East of Mesopotamia (i.e. skipped China, Japan, Persia, India, etc.). There just simply isn't enough time to teach it all.

Black history in Canada wasn't exactly all sunshine and lollypops either when I took Canadian immigration history at U of T. Granted it was better than living even in the northern US but there was still racism and segregation in Canada for the longest time. How do you even teach that to grade and high schoolers? Much less anything that happened to any other minority in Canada (and Canadian history in Ontario schools at least are still pretty shady on what they discuss).

Azih

For the higher grades at least I think it would be a good idea to have a ISU unit and the kids got to pick out some topic themselves and give presentations on it in history class.

Rinoa

Firestorm said:
So Bell just charged me $85 for November internet service I cancelled in August.
Worst fucking company in this country.

Apparently this has happened to just about everyone I know (and if it's not that, they were surcharged a ton).

Firestorm

I had to google their 1-800 customer service number because their website doesn't have a number I could call from outside Ontario and Quebec -_-

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Did any of you guys watch The Lang & O'Leary Exchange yesterday with the Egyptian guy who backed Wind Mobile? Here are some of the quotes.

The billionaire financier behind the Wind Mobile cellular telephone company says he regrets getting involved in Canada in the first place.
Canada is the only country in the world, besides China, that hasn't opened up to foreign direct investment for foreign capital, Sawiris said. "I don't know why Canada wants to be matched with China," he said. "There's only two countries [with] very ridiculous old laws, and nothing is happening."
Another spectrum auction of more powerful 700 MHz frequency auction is coming up, but based on his Canadian experiences thus far, Sawiris says Wind won't be bidding on any new spectrum.

"We would like to, but these are not fair rules," he said. "Our position is clear: if they don't set aside, we won't bid for it — why would we go in and just increase the price so the government makes more money and we get devastated," Sawiris said.
"You need to ask yourself, why isn't Rogers in the U.K., like Vodafone or France Telecom," he said.

"Why aren't they everywhere if they're so good? The answer is simple, here they're protected. They can be inefficient, their cost structure can be expensive."
Wind Mobile added 45,000 new customers last quarter, bringing its subscriber base to 317,000 in total. That's an impressive growth rate, but still a long way off the 9.1 million wireless customers Rogers has, or the 7.3 million at Bell or 7.1 million at Telus.

Sawiris says he isn't afraid of competing with the big boys — but Canadian competition rules make that impossible.

"We are trying to help [consumers] and not because we are good guys — because we want to make money," he said. "We want to come here and earn with hard work, but we are encountering nightmares," he said.

He says wireless prices remain higher than they should be on the retail level. "If they can reduce their prices 30 per cent, why didn't they do that before we came?" he asked.

"And how will they continue after we leave? If we leave, maybe prices will go up to where they were."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2011/11/17/f-naguib-sawiris.html

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So is anyone going to the Zelda launch event? Anyone go to the booth yesterday?

I went to the 'event' this morning to pick up my wrist strap. I didn't stick around to play the game, but they have a little setup at the north end of Eaton Centre, outside Sears, with 7 units setup for play.

The wrist strap lets people buy the Collector's Edition at Futureshop at 9:00pm tonight. It's not really worth all the work it took to get it 12 hours early, but I did pick up a bunch of Streetpasses (around two dozen this morning) and I'm sure there will be more tonight.

I'll keep an eye out for any obvious GAFers. :p

Roto13

So is anyone going to the Zelda launch event? Anyone go to the booth yesterday?

I went yesterday and got a wristband and took a few shitty pictures of Link and Zelda and Ghirahim. :p And today I'm incredibly sick so I won't be able to pick the game up. Going to have to send my husband out, I guess. :p

First 150 Friday and 150 Saturday. I doubt they do anymore. ;_;

Managed to snag one! Wish I had gotten my picture taken, felt too dorky going by myself.

Still Ive got a Zelda preorder at an eb near my house, not sure if I should cancel it and go downtown today or just pick it up on my own time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Boogie said:
And I'm surprised that so many of y'all are surprised.

You guys really thought Catholic schools were basically the US Bible Belt transplanted into Canada? Wow....
Well, that's what "Catholic" evokes after all!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Heading out to the Zelda event now. Probably drop by Chipotle first. If you see someone with a green trucker's hat with a mushroom on it, that'd be me!

Quick

Banned
Just came back from the zelda event. If anyone saw a brown guy in green hoodie with glasses along with a kid with glasses, that was me. Got my picture taken with the Zelda costumed people. Was a lot of fun.

Oh and the street passes, they kept coming, oh my god

Roto13

I'm still feeling pretty shitty so I sent my husband out with my wristband to grab my early copy of Zelda. Just played it for an hour just so I can say I played it the day before launch. :p

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If I hadn't had the game already preordered TWICE I would have gone out today. Now I have to hope that it gets here on monday.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Just came back from the zelda event. If anyone saw a brown guy in green hoodie with glasses along with a kid with glasses, that was me. Got my picture taken with the Zelda costumed people. Was a lot of fun.

Oh and the street passes, they kept coming, oh my god

I was the Mr. Miyagi Mii, and my wife was the Napoleon dynamite one if you picked up either of those.

Azuran

Banned
You guys see the new Blue Jays uniform/logo? It's a throw back to the original logo and I love it. It'll be the first time I buy a BJ fitted hat in almost 20 years and I can't wait.

2011NovBanner.jpg

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/new...17&content_id=25996396&vkey=news_tor&c_id=tor

Hopefully they stay with this one for a long, long time. I'm tired of the Jays changing their logos and uniforms every 5 years or so.

I don't know which player to get for the jersey, and I don't wanna just leave it blank. The hat is a must for me, as well.

I already have Jose Bautista on my (now) old Jays jersey.

I never get names on my jerseys. Besides Halladay, Vernon Wells, and Sundin, I seriously can't recall any other players that stayed longer than 5 years in this city.

Hopefully they stay with this one for a long, long time. I'm tired of the Jays changing their logos and uniforms every 5 years or so.
Five years would be an improvement.

I never get names on my jerseys. Besides Halladay, Vernon Wells, and Sundin, I seriously can't recall any other players that stayed longer than 5 years in this city.
Really?
Dave Keon
Darryl Sittler
Rick Vaive
Nik Antropov
Wendel Clark
Tie Domi
Darcy Tucker
Tomas Kaberle
Doug Gilmour

...your point that pro sports teams have a habit of trading players routinely is made, but there are lots (a few above, just from the Leafs) who do stick around for the mid-term.

Top Bottom