• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Quick

Banned
Five years would be an improvement.

Really?
Dave Keon
Darryl Sittler
Rick Vaive
Nik Antropov
Wendel Clark
Tie Domi
Darcy Tucker
Tomas Kaberle
Doug Gilmour

...your point that pro sports teams have a habit of trading players routinely is made, but there are lots (a few above, just from the Leafs) who do stick around for the mid-term.

Nik Antropov sticks out like a sore thumb in that list. But he did get better, or at least better than the when he was practically injured all the time. Memorable for being the team scapegoat for a good chunk of his time here. :p

And it's true that players do get traded eventually, but I don't personally care. I get the names of players I like. In my case, I can't choose between Romero, Arencibia, and Lawrie for this new one.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Completely forgot this was coming up until I saw the ad here on GAF. Anybody going?

wordmark.gif

On Saturday, November 26 at 7pm, Cavalcade of Lights a spectacular 45-year Toronto tradition presented by Scotiabank, returns to Nathan Phillips Square.

The night will feature the lighting of the City of Toronto's official Christmas tree, fireworks and live musical performances by award-winning artists Jarvis Church, Kellylee Evans, JRDN, rising star Justin Hines and singer Victoria Duffield. The concert will be hosted by Citytv's very own Kevin Frankish and Flow 93.5's Jeni and culminates in a spectacular fireworks display at 8pm, followed by a skating party sponsored by Timothy's World Coffee on the Nathan Phillips Square rink.

Meet champion figure skater and sports icon Jamie Salé at the Burt's Bees tent for autographs and pictures.

iconic_2010.jpg

http://www.toronto.ca/special_events/cavalcade_lights/2011/index.htm

Onemic

Five years would be an improvement.

Really?
Dave Keon
Darryl Sittler
Rick Vaive
Nik Antropov
Wendel Clark
Tie Domi
Darcy Tucker
Tomas Kaberle
Doug Gilmour

...your point that pro sports teams have a habit of trading players routinely is made, but there are lots (a few above, just from the Leafs) who do stick around for the mid-term.

You forgot JYD

shortyme

Torontoist's twitter feed has exploded this morning. There's some crazy stuff going on at the St. James park.

Police cruiser blocking off street access at Adelaide and Church.

whitehawk

Banned
Are there any good bank switching deals? I'm thinking of leaving Scotiabank, because the branch near me isn't even open on Saturdays anymore. Whereas TD is open on Saturdays AND Sundays!

What bank is T-GAF on?

Quick

Banned
Torontoist's twitter feed has exploded this morning. There's some crazy stuff going on at the St. James park.

Police cruiser blocking off street access at Adelaide and Church.

I'm watching CP24 right now. Police are dismantling the place, and a woman was arrested for trespassing.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I support the Occupy movement, but honestly... get rid of the stereotypical hippies. The "Like... you can't arrest us, man. Down with police!" kind.

I mostly support the message, but I'm not a great supporter of the crowd it attracts.

Last week I Tweeted this after a streetcar ride; Occupy guy on streetcar remarks about a young woman with H&M bags "More stuff you don't need, pathetic". Occupy guy then pulls out an iPhone

lulz

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I mostly support the message, but I'm not a great supporter of the crowd it attracts.

Last week I Tweeted this after a streetcar ride; Occupy guy on streetcar remarks about a young woman with H&M bags "More stuff you don't need, pathetic". Occupy guy then pulls out an iPhone

lulz

I think that because we have it pretty good up here in Canada compared to a lot of the other developed countries, the OWS message is considerably less impactful here. So you get less people who join in because they're disadvantaged and more idiot hipsters and bums. It's unfortunate because I do think the ideals of OWS are valid, even in Canada.

lulz

Yup, the woman could have been buying clothes for her new job.

Stet

Banned
I support the Occupy movement, but honestly... get rid of the stereotypical hippies. The "Like... you can't arrest us, man. Down with police!" kind.

I'm not even talking about their message. These cops have been trained really well. The OWS people are shouting and making spectacles out of themselves and the cops are completely ignoring them.

There was a "press conference" earlier where a spokesperson for the Toronto Police was surrounded and asked questions like
"We have some questions! *long pause while they try to figure out what to ask him* Where was this woman arrested?!"
"Over there."
"OH WAIT I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION! Have you ever heard the expression 'If you're explaining, you're losing'?"
"No. If you have any other questions, I'll be here all day and you can feel free to ask."

cbox

lulz

hahaha oh my, I'd have put him in his place.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Yes, do this. It will be awesome.

We could do a TO-GAF meet up afterwards Friday or Saturday night.

You guys always choose these nights when I am busy. Saturday night is a maybe for me though, I think people need to really be introduced to the coolest person in Toronto.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The nerve of some fuckin people in this town

Dude, about 20 lookin, walkin by me starts speakin Chinese and says he's thirsty, I just ignore him and wave him off. Dude then asks me for 4 dollars in English for a drink cause he's thirsty.

Who the fuck needs a 4 dollar drink to sate your thirst?!

Divvy

Dude, about 20 lookin, walkin by me starts speakin Chinese and says he's thirsty, I just ignore him and wave him off. Dude then asks me for 4 dollars in English for a drink cause he's thirsty.

Dude was probably high.

Rinoa

Was this in Chinatown? I think I know which bum you're talking about, there's a guy who is always around Dundas/Spadina on the NE corner and goes on his knees to harass people even.

Stet

Banned

Dude, bubble tea is expensive.

Quick

Banned
Was this in Chinatown? I think I know which bum you're talking about, there's a guy who is always around Dundas/Spadina on the NE corner and goes on his knees to harass people even.

I once saw a crazy Chinese outside of Anime Xtreme once over the summer. Shirtless, looks drunk as hell. He looked at me and I was scared that he'd attack me, but he ended up meeting his friends. Don't think it's the same, but I see a lot of bums hanging around Chinatown.

I actually manage to avoid the bubble tea places around there, funny enough.

And speaking of harassment, a couple of weeks ago, I got suckered by one of those black history guys into giving him a dollar for a "donation". I was walking outside the Eaton Centre along Dundas, listening to music and ignoring people. I saw a couple of them just near the intersection hiding along a gap in the wall by one of the mall's entrances.

He suddenly takes my arm as if to shake it, and thrusts me his stupid paper. I begin to walk away, and he wouldn't let go. I took off my headphones, and he was saying "two dollars" to me. I was too caught up in what was happening to just say no, and I ended up tossing him a dollar. He had the nerve to once again ask me "you got two dollars, man?" I said no at this point, and he moved out of my way. I threw away the paper at the nearest trash.

I don't meant sound racist at all, but I really dislike them, and have always felt that they're just scamming people. I don't know the legitimacy of what they do, so do correct me if I'm wrong. A friend of mine previously gave them a couple of dollars for it, and when we finally took a look at the paper, it was a couple of pages full of random facts. A sentence per notable black person or event that feels like it was taken off Wikipedia.

I was more ticked off at myself for giving him a dollar. I know how to say no, and usually do so with these guys, but this one time I really just got suckered into it.

Draff

Those people are quite irritating. It's also funny watching the people grabbing Tootsie Rolls or Reese's cups thinking they're freebies. I haven't seen the "BELIEVE...in the Lord" dude lately.

Divvy

gaf i want to dress up and take a girl to a nice lounge
any ideas?

Coco rogue is supposed to be pretty popular. I hear thursday nights have live music. I haven't been there during lounge hours, but the chocolate was REALLY good.

Not sure if it's a dressy up lounge though.

Roto13

Those people are quite irritating. It's also funny watching the people grabbing Tootsie Rolls or Reese's cups thinking they're freebies. I haven't seen the "BELIEVE...in the Lord" dude lately.

Yank hard enough and they are freebies. Do it with headphones and and say "Thanks!" when they start trying to stop you.

It works.

cbox

I once saw a crazy Chinese outside of Anime Xtreme once over the summer. Shirtless, looks drunk as hell. He looked at me and I was scared that he'd attack me, but he ended up meeting his friends. Don't think it's the same, but I see a lot of bums hanging around Chinatown.

And speaking of harassment, a couple of weeks ago, I got suckered by one of those black history guys into giving him a dollar for a "donation". I was walking outside the Eaton Centre along Dundas, listening to music and ignoring people. I saw a couple of them just near the intersection hiding along a gap in the wall by one of the mall's entrances.

He suddenly takes my arm as if to shake it, and thrusts me his stupid paper. I begin to walk away, and he wouldn't let go. I took off my headphones, and he was saying "two dollars" to me. I was too caught up in what was happening to just say no, and I ended up tossing him a dollar. He had the nerve to once again ask me "you got two dollars, man?" I said no at this point, and he moved out of my way. I threw away the paper at the nearest trash.

I don't meant sound racist at all, but I really dislike them, and have always felt that they're just scamming people. I don't know the legitimacy of what they do, so do correct me if I'm wrong. A friend of mine previously gave them a couple of dollars for it, and when we finally took a look at the paper, it was a couple of pages full of random facts. A sentence per notable black person or event that feels like it was taken off Wikipedia.

I was more ticked off at myself for giving him a dollar. I know how to say no, and usually do so with these guys, but this one time I really just got suckered into it.

There's a guy who always has recees pieces singles at yonge/bloor and he manages to always give me one. At first I took it and started walking away but he chased me and said, "IT'S DONATION ONLY, GIVE IT BACK MAN"....

eughh... wtf?

Rinoa

This is true. TenRen is the best and it costs on average 6-8 dollars. Meanwhile, that don't stop me from going daily.

And speaking of harassment, a couple of weeks ago, I got suckered by one of those black history guys into giving him a dollar for a "donation".

The bums hanging around the shops/AnimeXtreme area also hang out in the back parking lot, cops often come to get them out of there. A few bums also sneak into People's Eatery foyer constantly (which is why it stinks), I'm not sure why.

Those history guys are also on bloor/yorkville area, just west of Bay. They always stay in the same spot and they're extremely aggressive, just ignore them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
There's a guy who always has recees pieces singles at yonge/bloor and he manages to always give me one. At first I took it and started walking away but he chased me and said, "IT'S DONATION ONLY, GIVE IT BACK MAN"....

eughh... wtf?

He's at Yonge and Dundas too. My wife made the mistake of taking one, thinking it was one of the many free promos that go on at Yonge and Dundas (we got a bag of limes last year from Corona), but then he wanted money. lulz

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Quick said:

It's funny, I've met with one of them on the other end of the equation ages ago when my parents had a restaurant downtown. He would come in with a couple of hundred of dollars worth of loonies and twonies and we would swap them out for twenties. I never really thought to question why he would have all that change and didn't see realize it until I saw one of his friends handing out the pamphlet.

Stet

Banned
He's at Yonge and Dundas too. My wife made the mistake of taking one, thinking it was one of the many free promos that go on at Yonge and Dundas (we got a bag of limes last year from Corona), but then he wanted money. lulz

I love Yonge and Dundas for this reason. Every corner has another amazing group of people doing ridiculous things. My favourite is the European guy with the screwed up face who likes to surprise people by yelling "BELIEVE IN THE LORD" as they pass him.

Top Bottom