• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Roto13

The black history guys make me racist.

I love Yonge and Dundas for this reason. Every corner has another amazing group of people doing ridiculous things. My favourite is the European guy with the screwed up face who likes to surprise people by yelling "BELIEVE IN THE LORD" as they pass him.
I love that guy, though, just because I like to see startled people.

cbox

That's one good thing about working downtown, I made it home last summer with probably $100 worth of free beer, limes, power drinks, oranges, tshirts, and a soccer ball. Not to mention the 40 bottles of franks red hot sauce in my cupboard at work :lol

I walked out of work one day to head out and grab some lunch when I passed by a booth of 3 girls giving away free pizza nova, they ended up giving me 3 slices and a free mini soccer ball - FREE LUNCH!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I saw the BELIEVE...IN THE LORD dude yesterday. He was just talking to some other guy. In fact, it was just right after I saw him that idiot Chinese bum asked me for money.

Never saw this Reese dude though :/

Roto13

That's one good thing about working downtown, I made it home last summer with probably $100 worth of free beer, limes, power drinks, oranges, tshirts, and a soccer ball. Not to mention the 40 bottles of franks red hot sauce in my cupboard at work :lol

Ha, yeah, I got the Red Hot Sauce thing when I lived in Vancouver. :p The husband and I were just out doing stuff so we walked past them like ten times and got 20 bottles of red hot sauce. :p We had to throw most of them out when we moved.

We also got dozens of bottles of body wash the same way.

Azih

Hrm, I've been jumped by the black history guys a few times. The first time was horribly confusing and awkward. I thought I was doing the dude a favour by taking his newspaper and he kept asking for money and asking me uncomfortable questions.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Did you guys notice that SunTV is now a digital-only channel and the CityTV News Channel has taken it's place?

My favourite is the European guy with the screwed up face who likes to surprise people by yelling "BELIEVE IN THE LORD" as they pass him.

I love/hate that guy.
I warned the girl I was with to look out for him when we downtown last saturday, but he wasn't there. Then, as were walking about towards Eaton Centre about an 1hr later, he shouted "DO YOU BELIEVE IN JESUS!!!!" right into her face... ah good times.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Service cuts cometh to the TTC (and if we're lucky, a fare hike as well!)

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...eveals-ttc-routes-suffering-service-cuts?bn=1

A leaked memo reveals the 56 bus and six streetcar routes across Toronto on which riders will soon suffer longer waits and more crowded rides because of city budget cuts.

The list is included in a Nov. 16 internal TTC memo obtained by the Toronto Environmental Alliance.

Busy routes that will see “major service cuts” starting Jan. 8, according to the memo — confirmed as accurate by TTC chair Karen Stintz — include the 501 Queen streetcar and the 25 Don Mills, 29 Dufferin and 35 Jane buses.

The TTC is also reducing service on the 36 Finch West bus, which was going to be replaced by a provincially funded light rail line under the Transit City plan that Mayor Rob Ford killed after taking office last December.

Ford has committed to putting “enhanced bus service” on Finch. The TTC is considering building a separated bus lane for quicker service.

Longer waits and more crowding are also coming to the 85 Sheppard East bus, to be replaced long-term, according to Ford’s transit plan, by a subway extension funded by the city and the private sector, as well as to the Eglinton 32 and 34 buses, to be replaced by the provincially funded crosstown LRT to be built by 2020.

“It’s the wrong direction for a transit system when you have 500 million customers a year — a record number — and growing,” Jamie Kirkpatrick, TEA’s public transit campaigner, said of the service cuts.

“It makes me wonder whether commissioners actually knew the severity of cuts that would be the result of budget decisions they made in September.”

The system’s commissioners voted for the service cuts in September to help meet Ford’s directive to cut spending by 10 per cent, or $70 million.

The TTC is reversing service enhancements made as part of its ridership growth strategy, back to 2004 levels.

That means, during rush hour, buses will have to get 10 per cent more crowded before another bus will be put on the route. “Crowding standards” are also being increased for buses and streetcars in off-peak hours.

After the information was leaked, the TTC rushed out a news release confirming “reductions to 52 bus routes in the peak periods, and 36 reductions to bus and streetcar service in the off-peak periods.”

“Customers will experience longer wait times and more crowded vehicles in some cases. The TTC is also increasing service in January, with 21 bus and streetcar routes seeing an increase in service.”

In an interview, Stintz said nobody likes reduced service, but riders have made it clear that is preferable to the TTC cutting poorly used routes.

“So if we have to make adjustments, and no routes are to be cut, then we have to change the standards,” Stintz said. “It has been difficult to meet demand with a reduced subsidy, but this was seen as the best option.”

She couldn’t say why the list was not released earlier.

Stintz said new streetcars, scheduled to start arriving in 2013, will help reduce crowding because they will hold more people.

I can't wait for one 501 Streetcar every half an hour in the bitter winter cold, at rush hour when people are crushing anyone and anything in their path to try to squeeze on.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Instead of coming up with a solution to space out routes like 501 and Dufferin buses, which often end up stacking together 2-4 vehicles long, they decide to make cuts. So waves of streetcars and buses will come every half an hour now instead of every fifteen minutes. Yesss :/

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
reduce unnecessary buses from clogging up Pape station when you see an 81 every 5 min?

LOL

LET'S REDUCE HIGH TRAFFIC ROUTES! :D

Toronto - We have GREAT ideas

daemonic

Banned
People really need to start making a bigger deal out of these cuts. The TTC makes a decision like this and everyone just goes along with it. Sure the issues are raised about how broken the system is (and rightfully so) but can anything actually ever be done about it?

having been to a shitload of countries, i can honestly say that we have one of the absolute worst public transit systems in the world. and it just keeps getting shittier. it also affects how AWFUL the commute in downtown toronto is now

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
TTC answers to no one. They're not funded by the province
But they should be
, and all the Mayor's office cares about is reducing cost. In fact, I'm sure fewer streetcars on the streets makes Ford giddy with excitement because it's a victory for the 'car on wars'.

daemonic

Banned
It's beyond frustrating that we can't even maintain what we have, yet millions of dollars are going into construction for a new subway line or initiatives like Transit City that never come into fruition. So rather than delay upcoming projects they cut services to save money. Genius.

FairyD

Service cuts cometh to the TTC (and if we're lucky, a fare hike as well!)

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...eveals-ttc-routes-suffering-service-cuts?bn=1

I can't wait for one 501 Streetcar every half an hour in the bitter winter cold, at rush hour when people are crushing anyone and anything in their path to try to squeeze on.

I'm going to grope so many skanks on the Dufferin bus. It will be like in high school, when everyone used to go to duff mall to perv on the catholic girls during lunch.

Stet

Banned
I'm going to grope so many skanks on the Dufferin bus. It will be like in high school, when everyone used to go to duff mall to perv on the catholic girls during lunch.

jXS3CpaozkAJo.jpeg

Something interesting to consider what with all of the condos going up in the city.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/11/14/torontos-glass-condos-fail-lifespan_n_1092119.html

Anybody here live in an all-glass condo?
CBC did a report on this:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Canada/Toronto/1305549802/ID=2167497285
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Canada/Toronto/1305549802/ID=2169439846
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Canada/Toronto/1305549802/ID=2169440839

Also, good article on Cityplace. Will it be the next St James Town (aka ghetto)?
http://www.thegridto.com/life/real-estate/is-cityplace-toronto’s-next-ghetto/

more people living downtown = good thing.

shoddy condos and limited human scale mixed use buildings = bad thing

lol @ service cuts for transit. as if that's an area that can afford to be cut. the city is gettingm ore and more fucked because transit plans in the 70s never came to fruition, transit city is dead, etc. enjoy your commute, bros.

also, check out this http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1089426--vertical-toronto-going-going-up?bn=1

Rinoa

A lot of those condos are scams, esp with low maintenance fees to start just to get buyers all in. Then those maintenance fees double quickly because the condos fail...

Rinoa

I used to have to take the duff bus to get to work in lib village, worst ever. I'd get home by walking along king to other major streets to avoid that damn bus.

Morning - overcrowded, long waits, people pushing, the bus ride isn't exactly the most stable either... lots of hills

Evening - even more overcrowded, ghetto ppl who are trying to evade fare cause delays by sneaking in, even longer waits

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I have this image from the future, early next year, giving you an idea of what an average TTC bus / streetcar stop will look like.

fgJy4.jpg

hyduK

Banned
Internet-AGE question....

Anyone on Techsavvy? I'm in Pickering, and I'm getting molested with bandwidth charges from Rogers every month. I know Techsavvy is a lot cheaper and has better bandwidth limits, but is it reliable?

Oh, and does anyone know if Rogers is able to tell me where my bandwidth is going, or can they just give numbers? (I'd call, but Rogers customer service is...well yeah.)

StevieP

Banned
Ugh. Someone explain to me why cutbacks, social program removal, selling of city assets and other such conservative values always seem so short-sighted? Like... let's plug our deficit problem now by selling a bunch of shit that makes us money on a yearly basis...

Crime is down, public transit ridership is up... let's axe both of those things.
I mean .... I'm not a bleeding-heart liberal. I can accept certain things that make sense. These things do not compute.

Fuzzy

My mother told me it took her 2 hours (10:20-12:20) to get from North Scarborough to Bathust and Dundas today for an appointment. She said she should've taken her car. I can't imagine how long that trip would be after the cuts. :lol

Fuzzy

The Black History guy was racist to me! "You look like you should read up on Black History Month"

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN >:O
I've never gotten that but then again I've got my Scarborough swagger when I walk.

I hate you if you thought I was serious.

whitehawk

Banned
The black history month guy conned me years ago when i was much younger. I think I actually gave him 5 bucks, looked at the pamphlet and said "never again".

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Only a few years to begin the recovery. Progress with the transit system has been set back a decade in the last year. Woohoo.

Sober

The black history month guy conned me years ago when i was much younger. I think I actually gave him 5 bucks, looked at the pamphlet and said "never again".
I think I gave a toonie and never looked at the pamphlet when I got home, and this was back in first year uni.

I don't even want to get started on the sensationalizing of "Black history month"...

Quick

Banned

Anyone on Techsavvy? I'm in Pickering, and I'm getting molested with bandwidth charges from Rogers every month. I know Techsavvy is a lot cheaper and has better bandwidth limits, but is it reliable?

Oh, and does anyone know if Rogers is able to tell me where my bandwidth is going, or can they just give numbers? (I'd call, but Rogers customer service is...well yeah.)

I'm in Ajax, no problems so far and it's almost been a month since I switched over. Might not be the best indication of their service, but you can't go wrong with a no contract monthly charge, I suppose.

I've never gotten that but then again I've got my Scarborough swagger when I walk.

I hate you if you thought I was serious.

Even after moving out of Scarborough, I still got my Scarberia swag!

I'm totally serious

Not really serious.

Quick

Banned
I live in Scarborough now. Can't say I've got that. (But, I grew up in Whitey McWhiteville.)

Moving here was an experience of sorts. I think I've become nicer to people since a lot of people have just been very nice to me. Quite a difference whenever I'm downtown or around Scarborough.

You can view your internet usage by day by going online. If you don't have your online profile, it's remarkably easy to set up.

And you don't even have to talk to a Rogers rep, which makes it so much sweeter.

Top Bottom