• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I look forward to Rogers/Bell giving players their own TV shows as bonuses for signing in Toronto. Fuck the salary caps, they'll illegally break them! :p

Quick

Banned
Toronto Maple Leafs, Raptors sold to Rogers and BCE

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ple-leafs-raptors-sold-to-rogers-and-bce?bn=1

Rogers Sports Empire, etc. How do Leaf fans feel about this?

I'm a bit excited at the potential of what they could do. I'm also worried that they could fuck up tremendously. This is Bell and Rogers we're talking about, of course.

And I was just thinking about it, and Nadir Mohamed just answered it now, kind of: Jays could be brought into MLSE, but they're "separate transactions". Unless I mistook his answer to him just saying "no, it's staying separate".

SNOWWWWWWWWW OMGOMGOGMGMOGMGOGOMGOG

Holy fuck, finally.

But at the same time, fucking hell. I hope it doesn't snow too much.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wowee. So how are they going to split up the rights? Half Leafs games on Sportsnet, half on TSN?

No need to worry about the playoffs at least!

Fuzzy

Wowee. So how are they going to split up the rights? Half Leafs games on Sportsnet, half on TSN?

No need to worry about the playoffs at least!
At least the CBC will still have an opportunity to air Leafs games since the NHL handles the national rights.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
At least the CBC will still have an opportunity to air Leafs games since the NHL handles the national rights.
Aww. And here I was hoping Rogers would take Don Cherry with them. At least it might make HNiC bearable to watch (assuming I still watched hockey anyway).

I laughed
I'm betting that TFC gets to the playoffs before any of the other teams owned by Rogers.

Fuzzy

Aww. And here I was hoping Rogers would take Don Cherry with them. At least it might make HNiC bearable to watch (assuming I still watched hockey anyway).

I'm betting that TFC gets to the playoffs before any of the other teams owned by Rogers.
This season doesn't count because the deal won't be completed until after the MLSE fiscal year ends on June 30th. Canada Day = Rogers/Bell takeover day for MLSE.

going to toronto in a month:

heres the list of things I need to do.

What is the best Mandarin franchise restaurant (now they are more than 2)
What is the best place to get the sushi buffet (i remember there used to be one near richmond hill)
Where can I get the best Afghani/Pakistani food in T.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
All while reducing service instead of increasing it. Budgeting, how does it work Toronto!

Lack of Provincial funding is atrocious too, but whenever a speaker brought this up during the public budget debates
including this week and both meetings I saw previously
, Mammoliti says 'why don't you go petition for money more', as if it's not the city's job, but citizens jobs to ask Ottawa for help.

We're being screwed by all levels of government, in every way possible.

Markster

I'm sure the city is already petitioning for money for all sorts of budget items, and they're not getting any. Just because they aren't petitioning specifically for transit doesn't mean that there's no hope of relief.

Also, enshrining predictable, regular fare increases is a very smart thing to do. 10 cents is a 4% increase, which frankly, isn't that much above inflation.

cbox

Lack of Provincial funding is atrocious too, but whenever a speaker brought this up during the public budget debates
including this week and both meetings I saw previously
, Mammoliti says 'why don't you go petition for money more', as if it's not the city's job, but citizens jobs to ask Ottawa for help.

We're being screwed by all levels of government, in every way possible.

I don't think it's possible for me to let off a bigger sigh.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm sure the city is already petitioning for money for all sorts of budget items, and they're not getting any. Just because they aren't petitioning specifically for transit doesn't mean that there's no hope of relief.

Also, enshrining predictable, regular fare increases is a very smart thing to do. 10 cents is a 4% increase, which frankly, isn't that much above inflation.

But is the current cost we're paying too much? If you judge by the services rendered (very small amount of subway lines for a large city, unreliable service, few stations with services like elevators for the handicapped, stations literally falling apart, no timed transfers), and compare our system to cities around the world of similar size in terms of cost and service, we're not exactly getting what we're paying for.

So, yearly, or bi-yearly fare increases might be smart, but when we're starting at $121 metro passes which increase even faster than cash fare, it's not exactly looking great. Not to mention the TTC will take no steps to automate parts of the system that would cost them jobs down the road (ie; not hiring on people to replace workers retiring).

It's like saying a 4% yearly raise is great; except you're working for minimum wage to start out. It's all about perspective here. No one is questioning fare hikes are required over time, but TTC is cutting services, raising fares, and the product they offer in the first place is already expensive and poor in quality.

And slightly off this specific topic; talking to a TTC worker at Roncesvalles and King today, discussing the Queen closure (from Roncy to Shaw). "If you want to have a steady job, work for the TTC. -- At the TTC they say there's Ottawa time, Toronto time and TTC time. And in any TTC project, add six months to the original end date." He said in a jolly voice. He did point out that Queen St would probably re-open on time (Dec 18th), because it's a Metro-linx and not TTC project.

Manics

Banned
Mandarin's OK. There's plenty everywhere, don't really think there's any location that's "best".

Mandarin? Good God, if you want actual chinese food go to Markham/Richmond Hill, tons of great places to eat at a fraction of the cost.

Sober

Mandarin? Good God, if you want actual chinese food go to Markham/Richmond Hill, tons of great places to eat at a fraction of the cost.
Most other Chinese buffet places aren't completely all Chinese food anyway (mix of Japanese - mostly sushi - and other western style foods together), though I guess Mandarin is mostly geared to non-Chinese people (only been there a few times). Not entirely sure where China Buffet King falls on the list either. The last buffet I went to is the Star Walk by Steeles and Midland.

Though I'm guessing if you aren't Chinese (or a CBC with really poor Chinese), it might be more intimidating to go to a dim sum restaurant or something like a Congee Wong if you don't have any Chinese friends to help you along (even if the menus have English on them most of the time)

hint: get some Chinese friends to bring you to a Congee Wong or something.

Sober

I didn't know Congee Wong was so popular. I order from there like once a week.
That and Keung's Delight are everywhere in plazas especially in Markham-Unionville where I live, although my family makes it a habit to go to the Congee Wong at Leslie and Finch if we have the time for it.

Also, Asian Legend is worth trying but it is Northern Chinese food, and as a Cantonese person myself I much prefer the Southern Chinese style of food which is mostly what Congee Wong is.

Fuzzy

They were making like $100 Million a year after taxes. Where are they going to get a guaranteed rate of return better then that?

My guess is they needed the cash.
They'll take their money and invest it in Brazil/China and rake in 25% returns.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That and Keung's Delight are everywhere in plazas especially in Markham-Unionville where I live, although my family makes it a habit to go to the Congee Wong at Leslie and Finch if we have the time for it.

Also, Asian Legend is worth trying but it is Northern Chinese food, and as a Cantonese person myself I much prefer the Southern Chinese style of food which is mostly what Congee Wong is.

Lol, I'm northern and I had no idea about that difference. I don't like Asian Legend as much though, it's kind boring, maybe I'm just too used to that style. Congee Wong is fantastic though.

Most other Chinese buffet places aren't completely all Chinese food anyway (mix of Japanese - mostly sushi - and other western style foods together), though I guess Mandarin is mostly geared to non-Chinese people (only been there a few times). Not entirely sure where China Buffet King falls on the list either. The last buffet I went to is the Star Walk by Steeles and Midland.

Though I'm guessing if you aren't Chinese (or a CBC with really poor Chinese), it might be more intimidating to go to a dim sum restaurant or something like a Congee Wong if you don't have any Chinese friends to help you along (even if the menus have English on them most of the time)

hint: get some Chinese friends to bring you to a Congee Wong or something.

The mere mention of dim sum makes me want some turnips and pork buns. Take me with you!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
But is the current cost we're paying too much? If you judge by the services rendered (very small amount of subway lines for a large city, unreliable service, few stations with services like elevators for the handicapped, stations literally falling apart, no timed transfers), and compare our system to cities around the world of similar size in terms of cost and service, we're not exactly getting what we're paying for.

So, yearly, or bi-yearly fare increases might be smart, but when we're starting at $121 metro passes which increase even faster than cash fare, it's not exactly looking great. Not to mention the TTC will take no steps to automate parts of the system that would cost them jobs down the road (ie; not hiring on people to replace workers retiring).

It's like saying a 4% yearly raise is great; except you're working for minimum wage to start out. It's all about perspective here. No one is questioning fare hikes are required over time, but TTC is cutting services, raising fares, and the product they offer in the first place is already expensive and poor in quality.

And slightly off this specific topic; talking to a TTC worker at Roncesvalles and King today, discussing the Queen closure (from Roncy to Shaw). "If you want to have a steady job, work for the TTC. -- At the TTC they say there's Ottawa time, Toronto time and TTC time. And in any TTC project, add six months to the original end date." He said in a jolly voice. He did point out that Queen St would probably re-open on time (Dec 18th), because it's a Metro-linx and not TTC project.
God I fucking hate the TTC...

Also had to wait 30 and others had to wait 45 min for a 'frequent service' bus. I understand cutting service, but fuck the one bus coming on time being 'not in service' and then 3 buses all coming 25 min later leapfrogging each other.

It's not an issue of cost, I still say it's an iasue of planning and efficiency.

Draff

going to toronto in a month:

heres the list of things I need to do.

What is the best Mandarin franchise restaurant (now they are more than 2)
What is the best place to get the sushi buffet (i remember there used to be one near richmond hill)
Where can I get the best Afghani/Pakistani food in T.

My absolute favourite AYCE Sushi buffet is Tenichi's. Go on a weekend and make sure you specify you want the Teppanyaki table. AYCE steak cooked right in front of you, sweet shrimp sashimi, cuttlefish, :O~

It's located at McCowan and Sheppard.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Give us your 3DS system code so we can race!

I'm not racing with a bunch of dirty snakers! I 'just' started it. Goddamn cute EBGames girl convincing me to get both for a fucking set of pins... :(

I'm just playing 3D Land now. Ummm...I'd put it ahead of the SMB for DS and Wii, but definitely behind Galaxy. I just really miss the old World and Yoshi's Island styles.

Goddamn it! I really do think all the jobs are outside the GTA...

Is this for real?

2H9tb.png

This would have been great October weather, but it's December. Fucking snow already.

Rinoa

Is that edmonton or something? Those hella freezing temps are terrible, can't do anything outside but have my eczema skin crack and die :( Not to mention the dry air and static errwhere you go.

Azih

I'm all about "Hakka Chinese" food. It's a glorious mashup of Indian and Chinese. (Edit: It's pretty much Chinese influences adapted to South Asian tastes.)

Lahore Tikka House is good Pakistani food. If you want more Afghani style I think you should check out Bamiyan Kebab. There's a ton of them now with the original being in Thorncliffe.

If you guys are going to Lahore Tikka House then you could consider getting some Pakistani dishes that aren't the tried and tested Biryani and Butter Chicken or whatever. Try some Nihari or Haleem. Be warned Nihari is SPICY, not that Haleem isn't but....

ShaneB

Is that edmonton or something? Those hella freezing temps are terrible, can't do anything outside but have my eczema skin crack and die :( Not to mention the dry air and static errwhere you go.

Labrador City, Newfoundland and Labrador :)

It's cold as hell, and it can get pretty crazy, but I love it. It's what I'm use to, and I just like knowing that it's winter time, it's cold, and I better dress up.

Top Bottom