• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Hey guys, I was just wondering about something. I'm applying to Colleges, and Universities right now, but wouldn't be able to pay for school entirely by myself so I'm going to need to use OSAP. I'm just wondering, should I sign up for OSAP now, or wait until I've received offers from schools? I'm leaning towards the later (since it seems logical, lol), but you can never be too sure.

You cant sign up for OSAP until you've been accepted into a program.

ElNino

Hey guys, I was just wondering about something. I'm applying to Colleges, and Universities right now, but wouldn't be able to pay for school entirely by myself so I'm going to need to use OSAP. I'm just wondering, should I sign up for OSAP now, or wait until I've received offers from schools? I'm leaning towards the later (since it seems logical, lol), but you can never be too sure.
Just be warned; while you might get lucky, there is a good chance OSAP will not cover your remaining expenses and they will do their best to screw you.

It took me seven years to finish my undergrad and the main reason was because OSAP refused to help me out as far as they should have, even after appeals. My last 3 years were spent taking no more than three classes a semester while working 35-45 hours a week in order to pay my expenses.

Boogie

Your a Canadian police officer?? crazy... I wanted to know what do you think of the new crime bills coming down the pipe?

The "lawful access" legislation I generally support.

I don't agree with those who cry that is a dangerous infringement on privacy. Most of those who think so don't even know the current state of the law for things such as interception of private communications.

The last version of the proposed legislation that I saw fairly closely mirrors the language and standards of existing laws.

Our laws, generally, are very outdated when it comes to the 21st century and the myriad of ways for serious criminals to avoid detection. There are many headaches that I have encountered when the law and technology meet, whether it is trying to make the language of a simple search warrant fit the circumstances of searching a cell phone's contents, or having legal authorization to intercept someone's e-mail, but being told by a technical section "we can't do that."

As for mandatory minimums...eh. I don't oppose them in theory for certain crimes, but the reality of what it's going to cost....well, that money is probably better spent elsewhere

*cough* like adequately funding the RCMP *cough*

Takao

Banned
Just be warned; while you might get lucky, there is a good chance OSAP will not cover your remaining expenses and they will do their best to screw you.

It took me seven years to finish my undergrad and the main reason was because OSAP refused to help me out as far as they should have, even after appeals. My last 3 years were spent taking no more than three classes a semester while working 35-45 hours a week in order to pay my expenses.

Jeeze, this sounds horrible. :(

The "lawful access" legislation I generally support.

I don't agree with those who cry that is a dangerous infringement on privacy. Most of those who think so don't even know the current state of the law for things such as interception of private communications.

The last version of the proposed legislation that I saw fairly closely mirrors the language and standards of existing laws.

Our laws, generally, are very outdated when it comes to the 21st century and the myriad of ways for serious criminals to avoid detection. There are many headaches that I have encountered when the law and technology meet, whether it is trying to make the language of a simple search warrant fit the circumstances of searching a cell phone's contents, or having legal authorization to intercept someone's e-mail, but being told by a technical section "we can't do that."

As for mandatory minimums...eh. I don't oppose them in theory for certain crimes, but the reality of what it's going to cost....well, that money is probably better spent elsewhere

*cough* like adequately funding the RCMP *cough*

Interesting coming from a police officer. I was under the impression that the current crime bill dropped the privacy legislation, correct me if I am wrong.

Secondly, I don't think people care that police can have more power to track criminals online, what I think they are worried about is if police abuse those powers. Additionally, the fact that no warrant is needed, doesn't that go directly against the charter of rights?

Boogie

Interesting coming from a police officer. I was under the impression that the current crime bill dropped the privacy legislation, correct me if I am wrong.

I just checked wikipedia, and it would appear you are correct. I was not aware.

So the new bill is just the mandatory minimums stuff? Laaaaame.

Secondly, I don't think people care that police can have more power to track criminals online, what I think they are worried about is if police abuse those powers.

Yes, but what I am saying is that those worries are irrational, because the new powers would not have been very far out of line from the way things work now in other areas.

Additionally, the fact that no warrant is needed, doesn't that go directly against the charter of rights?

No.

Police are already able to obtain much (similar in character) information without a warrant. For example, if police have your phone number (landline or cell), we can get subscriber information (your name and address) from the telecoms company without a warrant

The lawful access legislation was only going to extend that same standard of access to online/internet accounts.

It also had nothing that would have granted police greater leeway in intercepting communications, because nothing in the lawful access legislation altered the thresholds for intercepting communications as laid out in Part VI of the Code. (which, by the way, has always had specific circumstances in which police can intercept communications without a warrant in exigent circumstances, so if you're worried about an Orwellian surveillance state, you should have been consistently paranoid since the 70s, if you're really worried about police "abusing their powers" in this area ;)

ElNino

Jeeze, this sounds horrible. :(
OSAP does not do an adequate job of "properly" calculating how much funding you require, and if you need to work in order to make up the difference they will use that against you for future funding. However, it is necessary to use them for many so it is sometimes unavoidable.

My advice would be to look at a student loan/line of credit from a bank as well. You would probably need a co-signer but you might be able to get better funding for you needs with better lending costs.

ElNino

Well I had a different experience. I got 14000 from them each year for two years without any issues, so I guess your mileage may vary?
There are certainly exceptions, and some people do get adequate funding. But it was my experience, and many others that I know, that they often do not and you should not go in expecting OSAP to cover all of your needs adequately.

ShaneB

I guess we would have seen each other around, then. And I would have secretly resented you because RAs are morons.

Not going to disagree with you. I met some great people and plenty of smart people, but yes, it attracts some moronic people as well.

StevieP

Banned
Police are already able to obtain much (similar in character) information without a warrant. For example, if police have your phone number (landline or cell), we can get subscriber information (your name and address) from the telecoms company without a warrant

You mean like canada411? :p

The lawful access legislation was only going to extend that same standard of access to online/internet accounts.

I have no problem with law enforcement knowing where everyone lives, but I would certainly prefer it if they only "intercepted" stuff with a warrant/reason to do so. Which brings your statement below into light:

It also had nothing that would have granted police greater leeway in intercepting communications, because nothing in the lawful access legislation altered the thresholds for intercepting communications as laid out in Part VI of the Code. (which, by the way, has always had specific circumstances in which police can intercept communications without a warrant in exigent circumstances, so if you're worried about an Orwellian surveillance state, you should have been consistently paranoid since the 70s, if you're really worried about police "abusing their powers" in this area ;)

Basically what we'd like to avoid here is the equivalent to the Patriot Act, if that makes sense. Though the RCMP/CSIS probably have something similar in practice (especially with the amount of data sharing between the US/CAN), that kinda stuff bugs me out.

Boogie

You mean like canada411? :p

Canada411 is useless for most cell phone numbers.

It was just an example of the "type" of info that would have been provided without a warrant under the legislation, and that sort of info being already provided to police in other areas.

I have no problem with law enforcement knowing where everyone lives, but I would certainly prefer it if they only "intercepted" stuff with a warrant/reason to do so. Which brings your statement below into light:

Basically what we'd like to avoid here is the equivalent to the Patriot Act, if that makes sense. Though the RCMP/CSIS probably have something similar in practice (especially with the amount of data sharing between the US/CAN), that kinda stuff bugs me out.

and as I said, as far as I saw, nothing in the proposed legislation would have altered the requirements for police to be able to intercept communications under Part VI.

Basically, it bothers me when some people have engaged in fearmongering about new legislation when most have never even read the current laws regarding the interception of communications.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Did you really expect this NOT to happen? I wonder what the rate for the metropass will be now.

Next year will be an interesting year in seeing what Ford will do this time around.
$5 more a month if I remember correctly from the 6pm news.

What did anyone expect when the city's budget is written by these guys?

L94yZl.jpg

Actually, that would be an upgrade.

Here's what gets me: they're not raising cash fares, but the people who ride the TTC regularly are going to have to fork out.

That's customer service for you: the people who are only occasional users will free ride off the backs of loyal riders.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
$220 Metropasses to celebrate 2020. Believe.

Of course, TTC has made it a point to complain about Metropasses being part of their woes lately, with 'too many people' buying them and cutting into their potential revenue if they were just forced to pay cash fare. Remember, it was just back in 2007 when it was less than $100 to buy a Metropass.

Cash fares are not out of line with a bunch of comparable transit systems in Canada and abroad, but our metropass cost are scary.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Signed up in June, so I guess I am safe for six months =/ If this is going to happen annually, I may bail when the metropass hits $150 or find a job that doesn't require TTC.
It would be funny if it ever becomes cheaper to enrol at a university part time and take a single course in order to get the student metropass. lol

Azih

TTC is one of the worst run organisation financially.
I don't know. I think it's underfunded. Capacity hasn't been added to the system for decades now. The new subway trains would help if the entire system switched to them but apparently there isn't money for that either.

Here's what gets me: they're not raising cash fares, but the people who ride the TTC regularly are going to have to fork out.

That's customer service for you: the people who are only occasional users will free ride off the backs of loyal riders.
Yup, about right.

New fares are listed here.

$126 (+$5/month) for metropasses, $115.50 on MDP.
For people outside of Toronto and commute to work downtown, the switch to GO is getting more and more tempting. Back when I was still working downtown, The cost of a metropass + parking at a TTC lot would have been <~10% of the me taking the GO. The only advantage was that TTC has a better schedule. The more they raise the price on the metropass (and I'm willing to bet parking is going to go up soon), the more people are going to be pushed away toe either drive down or switch to go.

When they decided to charge for parking "to raising funding", but when pressed about "lost ridership", the TTC did acknowledge that rising TTC parking cost will cover the lost of ridership, so the net gain was zero.

fulsome

They are now going to be selling the tokens in packs of 3 or 7? What the hell kind of random crap is that?

Luckily I don't normally buy tickets/tokens, but I guess this is their way of trying to hide the price increase since it less than before? Or they expect you to only go one-way a lot of times :p

I didn't notice that the Student Pass didn't go up until mentioned... is there an age restriction on that thing? ;)

Fuzzy

Luckily I don't normally buy tickets/tokens, but I guess this is their way of trying to hide the price increase since it less than before? Or they expect you to only go one-way a lot of times :p

I didn't notice that the Student Pass didn't go up until mentioned... is there an age restriction on that thing? ;)
It's to hide the price increase.

"Hey I gave them $10 (or $20) for tokens and I got change back! That didn't happen last month."

Entropia

No One Remembers
TTC Chair Karen Stintz said that it is clear the public doesn't want to see a fare hike.

"That's why we're really trying to keep any fare hike close to the rate of inflation," Stintz told CTV Toronto.

I'm not an economist... but wouldn't NOT raising the fare help against inflation?? I mean, transit should be an affordable means for everyone in the city. What this means is that it costs more to take the bus, which means you want more money from your job, etc etc... :|

They are now going to be selling the tokens in packs of 3 or 7? What the hell kind of random crap is that?

what the hell lol

lol @ interview with Ford on City News

Was asked if it was a mistake cancelling Transit City

Ford says no, St Clair was 3x over budget and no one wanted it, it was a waste of money, everyone wants underground transit

He was asked if there will be money for subways

Ford says yes, for sure

:eek: a tiger died at the zoo :(

At least people that hate the metric system should get a real joy out of buying tokens in units of 3 or 7 since that weirdo logic works for them in other cases.

I don't know. I think it's underfunded. Capacity hasn't been added to the system for decades now. The new subway trains would help if the entire system switched to them but apparently there isn't money for that either.

I meant internally with wages and spending at non nonsensical places. What you are saying is public transport system which i agree in underfunded but more importantly poorly designed.

Fuzzy

We're in a budget crisis people. But don't worry, we can still afford to do away with the Land-Transfer tax. wat
My favourite part.

Left-leaning Councillor Gord Perks said Ford had “lost touch with reality.”

“On Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays he tells us we’re broke. On Thursdays and Fridays he tells us to cut our income. He doesn’t know how to govern,” Perks said.

Plus the part where some councilors believe the Sheppard extension will never be built.

Prax

I hate Ford so much.
Baaaawghhh...

IF HE SOMEHOW WINS THE ELECTION AGAIN, I DON'T KNOW GUYS. I JUST DON'T KNOW!

Is the LRT still a go? I bought a pre-constructed condo at Brentcliffe/Eglinton (just west of Leslie on the south side of Eglinton on the hill) last year. Apparently there will eventually be an LRT stop right outside my place.

Hope it's still a go.

Is the LRT still a go? I bought a pre-constructed condo at Brentcliffe/Eglinton (just west of Leslie on the south side of Eglinton on the hill) last year. Apparently there will eventually be an LRT stop right outside my place.

Hope it's still a go.

Yes, Eglinton is getting built no matter what. That is the one line that all plans include.

Top Bottom