• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

dudeworld

Is that edmonton or something? Those hella freezing temps are terrible, can't do anything outside but have my eczema skin crack and die :( Not to mention the dry air and static errwhere you go.

It's been warm in edmonton lately. I'm super surprised

Here's the latest edition of the Christie Blatchford: Troll series.

Once upon a time, she wrote for the organization that she describes as follows:
the newspaper in such a permanent state of nervous Nellie-dom about the Fords, forever crying in front-page headlines “The world is ending! Again!”, that it renders the boy who cried wolf a reticent little beggar by comparison

While I'm growing a little tired of the Star's grasping at Ford straws too, I think the Armageddon invocations are better attributed to the Sun, not the Star.

But hey, they both start with "s", right?

gboDJ.jpg

lnzF7.jpg

:(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:lol holy shit at this city. Had interview with bank, everything seems to be going well then...

this is not negotiable, but the pay is 28000/yr

Good job, banks! Keep hiring contracts and offering them shit to keep more ivory backscratchers cause 1 billion ain't enough!

Spl1nter

:lol holy shit at this city. Had interview with bank, everything seems to be going well then...

Good job, banks! Keep hiring contracts and offering them shit to keep more ivory backscratchers cause 1 billion ain't enough!

Are you a student? Thats first/second coop or basic sutdent money.

dudeworld

what position? that would be pretty shitty if you had applied for a financial or investment advisor or something like that, but like the guy above said, for a student/co-op program that's not that bad

ElNino

Are you a student? Thats first/second coop or basic sutdent money.
I work for one of the banks and when I started (on contract), I was getting paid less than co-op students were. It was awesome. :-|

That being said, my salary now is a bit more competitive (more than eight years) but I could be making more if I went somewhere else. Some of the banking benefits are decent however, so that makes up for it a bit.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I work for one of the banks and when I started (on contract), I was getting paid less than co-op students were. It was awesome. :-|

That being said, my salary now is a bit more competitive (more than eight years) but I could be making more if I went somewhere else. Some of the banking benefits are decent however, so that makes up for it a bit.

no benefits
28000/yr
said i could be let go within the year if things don't work out
said i could leave during probation if things don't work out for me
doesn't fill me with a lot of hope

only interview in....MONTHS and this is what I get?! I wouldn't mind taking a pay cut for 35 or 36000...but 28000?!

like i said, i may have to give up living in this city. jobs simply aren't there or aren't sustainable.

ElNino

no benefits
28000/yr

only interview in....MONTHS and this is what I get?! I wouldn't mind taking a pay cut for 35 or 36000...but 28000?!

like i said, i may have to give up living in this city. jobs simply aren't there or aren't sustainable.
I don't know which bank, but at mine I believe 28k is the minimum of the range for the lowest level that you could be at if you were in a non-branch position. I know it blows, and it is realistically very difficult to live in this city on that kind of salary but I will say that while I started not much higher than that, it did increase quite dramatically within the first two years (obviously not the case for everyone).

Spl1nter

no benefits
28000/yr

I dont know your situation so I cant really comment. However, if you can move and really need employment, go to Alberta. There unemployment rate is 5% which is basically 0.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I dont know your situation so I cant really comment. However, if you can move and really need employment, go to Alberta. There unemployment rate is 5% which is basically 0.

been thinkin bout it. My friend mentioned Calgary... :'(

WAT BOOT MY LEAFS? D:

thing is, I've worked at the bank before.....was making 10k more

As for my situation, I've already mentioned it in this thread. I'm snake bit or incredibly unlucky. TONS of applications, and no bites. nada. zip. zilch.

to repeat, I don't want to leave Toronto, but it seems I don't have a choice.

I wouldn't mind the pay so much if it was permanent, but it's still contract.

I'm just bitter that I'd left a full time permanent position for a company I disliked, for a higher paying full time permanent position for a company I had liked at the time...until they said take a contract or you're fired.

I'm sorry guys, I don't want to keep venting, but it's just frustrating and I don't like to face the prospect of leaving the city I was born in, grew up in, and love because of the situation I'm in. I've lived in Edmonton and escaped; I would rather not go back there.

Spl1nter

WAT BOOT MY LEAFS? D:

As for my situation, I've already mentioned it in this thread. I'm snake bit or incredibly unlucky. TONS of applications, and no bites. nada. zip. zilch.

I'm just bitter that I'd left a full time permanent position for a company I disliked, for a higher paying full time permanent position for a company I had liked at the time...until they said take a contract or you're fired.

I'm sorry guys, I don't want to keep venting, but it's just frustrating and I don't like to face the prospect of leaving the city I was born in, grew up in, and love because of the situation I'm in. I've lived in Edmonton and escaped; I would rather not go back there.

You have to be looking at what sets you up best for the next 10 years. However, you still need to get a job asap. The market is going to crash again in the near future making it even harder to find employment.

Sorry if it's already been posted, but just in case you hadn't already heard, Canada's officially dropped out of Kyoto.

Yea, yeah yeah, we all knew it was coming. Yeah, yeah, the Accord set unattainable goals and didn't recognize the emissions of developing nations like China and India. Nonetheless, I find it disappointing that we, as a country, don't place at least a cursory priority on preserving the world around us so that it exists beyond us.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well, we went from being one of the leaders in combating global warming to the absolute worst. So bad that other leaders leave the room when Harper goes to speak about it.

WAT BOOT MY LEAFS? D:

A lot of people are in your position. Jobs are just hard to come by in Toronto these days (unless you know someone through networking). Going back to school, or heading out west are viable options in this economy. I hear that Saskatchewan is the new hot bed for jobs. If you want to stay in Ontario then I would take anything I can get.

Spl1nter

Well, we went from being one of the leaders in combating global warming to the absolute worst. So bad that other leaders leave the room when Harper goes to speak about it.

ummmm when was this exactly?

Sorry if it's already been posted, but just in case you hadn't already heard, Canada's officially dropped out of Kyoto.

Yea, yeah yeah, we all knew it was coming. Yeah, yeah, the Accord set unattainable goals and didn't recognize the emissions of developing nations like China and India. Nonetheless, I find it disappointing that we, as a country, don't place at least a cursory priority on preserving the world around us so that it exists beyond us.

Canada should of been labeled as a developing country as well. We got oil bitches!

Spl1nter

Weren't we one of the first countries to sign Kyoto? I thought we were, can't remember for sure.

Treaties are signed for a number of reasons. The US signs a lot of treaties, they just dont get ratified.
US would of signed on to the ICC treaty but by that time Bush was in power so no more signature.
Canada has had a pretty shitty environmental record for a long time. Goes well with our shitty record on aboriginal affairs and management. Looked up when Canada ratified the treaty, 99th Country. They ratified the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change 2nd. That was all the way back in 1992, 20 years later...

Wikipedia is amazing

800px-Kyoto_Protocol_participation_map_2010.png

Participation in the Kyoto Protocol, as of December 2011,
Green = Countries that have signed and ratified the treaty
(Annex I & II countries in dark green)
Grey = Countries that have not yet decided[citation needed][vague]
Brown = No intention to ratify at this stage.[1]
Blue = Canada, which withdrew from the Protocol in December 2011.[2]

Spl1nter

Lol, we get our own shameful colour.

Sky Blue, for clear sky's and happy times.

I honestly dont know much about Canada's environment record. However, based on the little bit of reading I just did and some of my own thoughts, I wonder if anyone has looked at correlation between NAFTA and Canada's environment policy. Could be some theories in that area.

Sky Blue, for clear sky's and happy times.

I honestly dont know much about Canada's environment record. However, based on the little bit of reading I just did and some of my own thoughts, I wonder if anyone has looked at correlation between NAFTA and Canada's environment policy. Could be some theories in that area.

In what respect? Free trade increases energy consumption?

I don't think there's much of an argument there. For one thing, energy consumption in Canada was increasing before NAFTA and continued afterward. Causation can't be established with preexisting condition. Second, if that argument is to be believed, it should increase consumption across all borders: according to the World Resources Institute, the US' per capita energy consumption decreased between 2000 and 2005, while Canada's and Mexico's increased. Also, outside of NAFTA and where protectionist markets exist, there has also been growth in consumption. See: China, North Korea.

There may be an argument for economic stability resulting in increased energy consumption and GHG emissions, but that's not dependent on NAFTA.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Here's the latest edition of the Christie Blatchford: Troll series.

Once upon a time, she wrote for the organization that she describes as follows:
While I'm growing a little tired of the Star's grasping at Ford straws too, I think the Armageddon invocations are better attributed to the Sun, not the Star.

But hey, they both start with "s", right?

Huh, she moved over to The Post? I know Coyne moved over too, so it looks like all the conservatives are gathering in one place at least.

Wow. Is that what banks pay at the entry level?

I'm so glad I started my own businesses then. No boss to answer to and living the easy life! (well I work hard actually.. so maybe "livin the happy life" is more appropriate)

Huh, she moved over to The Post? I know Coyne moved over too, so it looks like all the conservatives are gathering in one place at least.

Coyne is the National Editor at Maclean's. The Post picks up stories from all kinds of people, including Liberals, but has a very small core writing staff. Probably because they were about a nose away from bankruptcy a couple years ago.

And frankly, they've always been the most conservative paper.

StevieP

Banned

Someone tried arguing on my Facebook wall ("think of our grandkids!") that "it's better to not sign, than to sign onto it and not do it" - to which I stated "it's even better to sign and follow it". It's sad what people are accepting... We are really fucking with this planet.

ShaneB

Will Toronto have snow on Christmas?

Only a 37% chance of it happening. The city most likely to have a "perfect Christmas" (snowfall on Christmas day) is Stephenville, Newfoundland, which happens to be my home town. :p They're playing it fast and loose with the word "city" though.

Stephenville! Good spot. Went there for college.. that amounted to nothing :( That walk uphill to school was always a pain, absolutely lovely view though from there.

I'm not so much concerned with it snowing on Christmas day, but I just want to be home and enjoy the mountains of snow and actually feel like Christmas.

Roto13

Stephenville! Good spot. Went there for college.. that amounted to nothing :( That walk uphill to school was always a pain, absolutely lovely view though from there.

So you were doing Business Administration, Office Administration, or something music related. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Coyne is the National Editor at Maclean's. The Post picks up stories from all kinds of people, including Liberals, but has a very small core writing staff. Probably because they were about a nose away from bankruptcy a couple years ago.

And frankly, they've always been the most conservative paper.
Coyne announced that he quite Macleans when he was on the National a few weeks ago. Unless he went back or something. I just remember because Mansbridge was making a big deal about it.

ShaneB

So you were doing Business Administration, Office Administration, or something music related. :p

The amounted to nothing part should've gave it away. Went for the music stuff, didnt do much but goof off and wonder what the heck I was doing with my life (and play far too much world of warcraft...)

Takao

Banned
Hey guys, I was just wondering about something. I'm applying to Colleges, and Universities right now, but wouldn't be able to pay for school entirely by myself so I'm going to need to use OSAP. I'm just wondering, should I sign up for OSAP now, or wait until I've received offers from schools? I'm leaning towards the later (since it seems logical, lol), but you can never be too sure.

Roto13

The amounted to nothing part should've gave it away. Went for the music stuff, didnt do much but goof off and wonder what the heck I was doing with my life (and play far too much world of warcraft...)

When were you there? I was there from 2005 to 2007 doing Business Admin.

Top Bottom