• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Is the LRT still a go? I bought a pre-constructed condo at Brentcliffe/Eglinton (just west of Leslie on the south side of Eglinton on the hill) last year. Apparently there will eventually be an LRT stop right outside my place.

Hope it's still a go.

Eglinton LRT is definitely going through like added_time said. It might take a good while longer considering a the entire line is going underground now.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well, in front of his office door, we could install those pole things they use to block people from stealing shopping carts.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Well, in front of his office door, we could install those pole things they use to block people from stealing shopping carts.
My mom asked me last week why the TV was in stretch mode while they were showing a video of Ford on the news. :lol

Dyno

This is from the Star article on the previous page. It's a Ford quote.

He has said he did not attend any other events during the 10-day festival because of scheduling conflicts.

“Everything depends on my schedule,” he told LeDrew. “Like I said, I get 30, 40 invitations a night. If I can make it, I’ll make it. But I can’t commit to saying what I’ll do tomorrow or even the next day, so going six months down the line? I don’t want to commit to anything right now.”

Who operates like this? If I were to get an invitation to an event six months down the line you would think that it would be one of the first things in my calendar. The way he words his response indicates that he would treat that invitation as the lowest possible priority, that every other invite he receives would take precedence over the Pride invite and that only if he was absolutely free he would go. What an ingracious asshole this guy is!

Fuzzy

This is from the Star article on the previous page. It's a Ford quote.

Who operates like this? If I were to get an invitation to an event six months down the line you would think that it would be one of the first things in my calendar. The way he words his response indicates that he would treat that invitation as the lowest possible priority, that every other invite he receives would take precedence over the Pride invite and that only if he was absolutely free he would go. What an ingracious asshole this guy is!
He's trying his hardest not to say there's no way he'll ever attend.

Azih

Maybe we should start finding the person who can knock the jerk off in the next election. Wong Tam maybe? Lady's well spoken, intelligent, gets a lot of media....

Though whoever it is needs to start pounding the pavement in the suburbs RIGHT NOW. Suburbanities aren't stupid, they're just incredibly disconnected.

Though whoever it is needs to start pounding the pavement in the suburbs RIGHT NOW. Suburbanities aren't stupid, they're just incredibly disconnected.

No, they just need to find a way to get the new private garbage collectors to go on strike. Personal inconveniences are the only things these people remember.

$220 Metropasses to celebrate 2020. Believe.

Of course, TTC has made it a point to complain about Metropasses being part of their woes lately, with 'too many people' buying them and cutting into their potential revenue if they were just forced to pay cash fare. Remember, it was just back in 2007 when it was less than $100 to buy a Metropass.

Cash fares are not out of line with a bunch of comparable transit systems in Canada and abroad, but our metropass cost are scary.

it was 70 when I came to canada in 1999

Eglinton LRT is definitely going through like added_time said. It might take a good while longer considering a the entire line is going underground now.

How are they building it though? I am hoping they start in the middle of the proposed line and dig and build in both directions and then open at least part of the line while the outer areas are being built... or is that just wishful thinking?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How are they building it though? I am hoping they start in the middle of the proposed line and dig and build in both directions and then open at least part of the line while the outer areas are being built... or is that just wishful thinking?

I haven't heard their timeline at all, but I'd be surprised if (even if they started construction in the middle of the line, in a dense place like Yonge and Eg) they open the LRT for service, piece by piece. TTC just doesn't seem to work that efficiently.

havok666

I think they've started boring at Black Creek Dr. About a month ago there was a construction accident at the LRT tunnel site. I imagine they are using something similar to what Ontario Hydro did in Niagara with Big Becky

Azih

I think they've started boring at Black Creek Dr. About a month ago there was a construction accident at the LRT tunnel site. I imagine they are using something similar to what Ontario Hydro did in Niagara with Big Becky

Do we know if they're starting to build in the portions that would have been underground anyway or are they already spending money on the Rob Ford's pipe dream portion?

havok666

Are you sure? I know that there was an accident at the construction of the new subway line to York University:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...their-machines-in-deadly-accident-at-ttc-site

Was there another separate accident on the LRT line that happened that I didn't hear about?

You are right about the accident. I got mixed up, it has nothing to do with the LRT.

Construction is underway. Here is a link,

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/local/article/1240699--crosstown-line-construction-begins

Unfortunately according to the article the completion date is 2020!?

You are right about the accident. I got mixed up, it has nothing to do with the LRT.

Construction is underway. Here is a link,

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/local/article/1240699--crosstown-line-construction-begins

Unfortunately according to the article the completion date is 2020!?

Man. 2020. That is why they should build the middle part first and open that at least around 2015 or 2016.. then finish the rest for a 2020 opening.
Sounds like they aren't though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Noticed the old Blockbuster at Queen and Spadina has turned into a DVD Clearance Outlet of sorts. Not sure how long its been used for that, but they have $5 DVDs / $8 Blu-rays (3 for $20), and a bunch of boxsets ranging from $10 to $25. Some pretty decent deals to be had.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Fuck Canada Post. Had a sticker last week stating they missed me, and I had to pick up my package at the post office. Okay, I've done this a hundred times.

Go to the Post Office next day in the evening; not there yet and no information on it. Go there the next day; same. Go there on Friday, hoping a few days would give it enough time because holidays are busy; can't find it, and two people in front of me they tried to turn away. One lady just wouldn't move, and they eventually found her package (apparently not in the system though).

This time though, they take down my name and number and promise to look for it and call me. So, I head back in today to check and they didn't look for it at all, but now they were able to tell me I hadn't picked it up and it was in the mean time shipped back to Vancouver. They didn't know why it was sent back, after they had left me a note telling me to come pick it up, or what the delivery guy was thinking, but they wanted to make it clear it wasn't their fault. Except that.. maybe it was sent back because I didn't pick it up within a week? :/

I want my Club Nintendo pins, god damn it!
At least it wasn't a Christmas gift. :/

Roto13

Ha, I came in here to bitch about Canada Post, too. Since I moved here, they have never once knocked on my door or rang my buzzer. I got a delivery notice slip yesterday morning at 11:30 (stuck to the intercom, as usual, not in my mailbox, and they never ask for ID when I pick anything up which means anyone could just take it and claim my mail), I went to the post office at 1:30 today and they told me it probably won't be there until tomorrow.

I could go "Oh, well, it's Christmas and they're really busy" but it's not like they're any better any other time of year.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ha, I came in here to bitch about Canada Post, too. Since I moved here, they have never once knocked on my door or rang my buzzer. I got a delivery notice slip yesterday morning at 11:30 (stuck to the intercom, as usual, not in my mailbox, and they never ask for ID when I pick anything up which means anyone could just take it and claim my mail), I went to the post office at 1:30 today and they told me it probably won't be there until tomorrow.

I could go "Oh, well, it's Christmas and they're really busy" but it's not like they're any better any other time of year.

Not the Post Office inside 'Cards n' Such' in Bloor West, is it? I'm guessing this is standard shtick for all Post Offices this time of year though. Lost a package? Holiday's fault!

All the couriers have idiots working for them sometimes, they knock once and then race back to the truck instead of using the doorbell or drop an expensive item in plain view

Canada Post at least uses the post office nearby so I don't have to drive 20 minutes like with UPS, Fedex and Purolator =/

Fuzzy

Fuck Canada Post. Had a sticker last week stating they missed me, and I had to pick up my package at the post office. Okay, I've done this a hundred times.

Go to the Post Office next day in the evening; not there yet and no information on it. Go there the next day; same. Go there on Friday, hoping a few days would give it enough time because holidays are busy; can't find it, and two people in front of me they tried to turn away. One lady just wouldn't move, and they eventually found her package (apparently not in the system though).

This time though, they take down my name and number and promise to look for it and call me. So, I head back in today to check and they didn't look for it at all, but now they were able to tell me I hadn't picked it up and it was in the mean time shipped back to Vancouver. They didn't know why it was sent back, after they had left me a note telling me to come pick it up, or what the delivery guy was thinking, but they wanted to make it clear it wasn't their fault. Except that.. maybe it was sent back because I didn't pick it up within a week? :/

I want my Club Nintendo pins, god damn it!
At least it wasn't a Christmas gift. :/
They left the CN Pins in my mailbox. It was huge and barely fit in there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
All the couriers have idiots working for them sometimes, they knock once and then race back to the truck instead of using the doorbell or drop an expensive item in plain view

Canada Post at least uses the post office nearby so I don't have to drive 20 minutes like with UPS, Fedex and Purolator =/

I don't really care about going to pick it up. Takes me fifteen minutes to walk to the post office. I do care about claiming not to have the item for a week, then shipping it back to sender. ;_;

soultron

Banned
Hey folks,

Aside from Jean's Vegetarian Kitchen and FRESH (Yelp says FRESH is terrible) are there any good veg options around Bloor West? Taking out a girl I've been seeing who happens to be a vegetarian; trying to surprise her with a good veg dining experience.

Even a regular place with good vegetarian options would be great! (Or even preferred!) That would mean I could get something good too since I'm an omnivore. :p

Many thanks!

My mail carrier, the ones who carry to my office and a couple of package delivery guys who work for Canada Post who live in my building claim that while the first half of December is indeed busier than "normal", the latter half is, in fact, not.

The issue (so they have told me) rests with some employees either taking vacation, calling in "sick" (their quotes), or just plain not showing up.

Whether or not that's actually the case I don't know - anecdotal not being statistically reliable bla bla bla - but anecdotally, having been screwed by CP on more than one occasion (and having to buy alternate Christmas gifts as a result), I'm inclined to believe them.

cbox

Hey folks,

Aside from Jean's Vegetarian Kitchen and FRESH (Yelp says FRESH is terrible) are there any good veg options around Bloor West? Taking out a girl I've been seeing who happens to be a vegetarian; trying to surprise her with a good veg dining experience.

Even a regular place with good vegetarian options would be great! (Or even preferred!) That would mean I could get something good too since I'm an omnivore. :p

Many thanks!

It's not the west end, but there's a place called camros near me at yonge/bloor. I've been there a few times with some vegan co-workers and they go bananas over it. It's good, though quite pricey.

http://www.camroseatery.com/

soultron

Banned
It's not the west end, but there's a place called camros near me at yonge/bloor. I've been there a few times with some vegan co-workers and they go bananas over it. It's good, though quite pricey.

http://www.camroseatery.com/

Thanks! The location is actually pretty convenient since most of the date stops are along Bloor West.

It's tough trying to get good veg options in because some of the reviews for veg/vegan places are pretty rough. Camros seems great, thank you again!

EDIT: Debating eating at Snakes & Lattes since we're going there. I've not been so I'm unsure of what the veg options there are like.

whitehawk

Banned
Hey folks,

Many thanks!
Just go to Jean's every time haha. It's pretty close to where I live so I go there quite a bit. You can't beat their Kao Pad (fried rice) or thai noodles. Best I have EVER had. Owners are really nice people too. My brother used to work there in 2008 and the owners still say hi to him when he comes in and sometimes give him a free desert or a discount.

Sober

Holy shit, was planning on getting Teksavvy for the new year, and I go to double check my postal code and I get this "Due to explosive growth we are currently not signing up new customers for your area."

Every other provider is on contract right? This really blows because now I want to get it ASAP but not entirely sure what to do now.

WTF Markham.

Spl1nter

Holy shit, was planning on getting Teksavvy for the new year, and I go to double check my postal code and I get this "Due to explosive growth we are currently not signing up new customers for your area."

Every other provider is on contract right? This really blows because now I want to get it ASAP but not entirely sure what to do now.

WTF Markham.

have had the same issue trying to get it in K-W, stuck on their shitty DSL.

Zzoram

All couriers are horrible. Sometimes I'll be waiting on the main floor so I can hear the doorbell, never hear anything, and get a "we missed you" tag making me drive to the depot to pick it up. I swear they don't even ring the door bell, they just leave the tag and go.

Magnus

Ugh, yeah, I've only had terrible experiences at Fresh. Awful, condescending service, and food that just tastes all kinds of wrong. With takeout a few months ago (that work mercifully paid for), I ordered their version of Falafel and got three components in my dish that all tasted completely off from what Falafel should taste like, and were three tastes that didn't complement each other at all. They all had these brutal synthetic tastes and there was nothing delicious about any of it. I was gagging.

Fuck that place.

Hey folks,

Many thanks!

Indian restaurants have alot of veggie options

Hey folks,

Many thanks!

My wife is vegetarian and we love going to "Hogtown Vegan" at Bloor and Christie area. I even like it as a meat eater (although I like tons of vegetarian food).
However, it's southern comfort food style so some girls may not like it since it's not healthy. It tastes fucking great though!

Stet

Banned
Just whatever you do, don't go to The Vegetarian Haven on Baldwin. They actually advertise that they don't use garlic or onions in their 100% vegan dishes because they want "the flavour of the vegetables to shine through."

Yeah, guess what, garlic and onions are vegetables too and they taste fucking good. Great bland broths, though, in case you're recovering from a violent stomach flu.

Hogtown Vegan is probably still my top choice... but I also really dig "King's Cafe" in Kensington Market. They have tons and tons of Asian vegetarian options. Really good.

I'm just realizing now how much I like vegetarian food even though meat is still the top choice.

daemonic

Banned

WTF Markham.

This happened to me at the beginning of the month so I had no choice to go for Dry Loop DSL which is super expensive. At the time they told me they had no idea when cable would be offered and I asked repeatedly before committing to cable just to be sure. Of course after only a week of using DSL I get an e-mail from them informing me that cable is available in my area =\

Anyway I had already bought a DSL modem and told them about the poor timing so they agreed to take the modem back and give me a full refund for it with no restocking fee. They wouldn't waive the activation fee for cable though so I'm out $45. But for the same monthly rate I'm going from crappy 5 mbps DSL to 25 mbps cable. Can't wait.

Roto13

So I was going to go to the post office yesterday to pick up that package that they "tried" (lol) to deliver on Sunday, but when I got downstairs there was another delivery card stuck to the intercom so I thought, fuck it, might as well just go tomorrow (today) to pick them both up at the same time.

As I was leaving today, I found a third card on the intercom, and since I'd rather not have to carry three packages tomorrow, I figured I'd just get the two today and the third one tomorrow.

Well, Sunday's package STILL isn't there. (Yesterdays was there, and is delicious.) She checked the card and said they tried to deliver it again today, and asked if I was home earlier. (Bitch, I've been home for all three of these deliveries, and every other delivery they've "attempted." No, I did not actually call her a bitch, largely because she wasn't a bitch.) I asked if this third card was another card for the first package, and she said it probably was.

Apparently a bunch of stuff just got left on a truck that hadn't been used since Sunday, because of some crap with that particular carrier only working weekends or something. So really, Canada Post is pretty amazing. They took an idea that's meant to make the mail slightly more convenient and used it to give a bunch of people, including me, a headache. That box I'm waiting for is full of Christmas presents. Canada Post is really great at what they do, assuming their reason to exist is to cause problems.

Stet

Banned
So I was going to go to the post office yesterday to pick up that package that they "tried" (lol) to deliver on Sunday, but when I got downstairs there was another delivery card stuck to the intercom so I thought, fuck it, might as well just go tomorrow (today) to pick them both up at the same time.

As I was leaving today, I found a third card on the intercom, and since I'd rather not have to carry three packages tomorrow, I figured I'd just get the two today and the third one tomorrow.

Well, Sunday's package STILL isn't there. (Yesterdays was there, and is delicious.) She checked the card and said they tried to deliver it again today, and asked if I was home earlier. (Bitch, I've been home for all three of these deliveries, and every other delivery they've "attempted." No, I did not actually call her a bitch, largely because she wasn't a bitch.) I asked if this third card was another card for the first package, and she said it probably was.

Apparently a bunch of stuff just got left on a truck that hadn't been used since Sunday, because of some crap with that particular carrier only working weekends or something. So really, Canada Post is pretty amazing. They took an idea that's meant to make the mail slightly more convenient and used it to give a bunch of people, including me, a headache. That box I'm waiting for is full of Christmas presents. Canada Post is really great at what they do, assuming their reason to exist is to cause problems.

Oh god, and you live near Church/Wellesley. Does that mean the post office they sent unclaimed packages to is the one in the dingy pharmacy at Homewood and Carlton?

Roto13

Oh god, and you live near Church/Wellesley. Does that mean the post office they sent unclaimed packages to is the one in the dingy pharmacy at Homewood and Carlton?

No, they're usually sent to the Hudsons Bay Centre. Once or twice they've gone to the Manulife Centre.

Stet

Banned
No, they're usually sent to the Hudsons Bay Centre. Once or twice they've gone to the Manulife Centre.

Well, that's lucky. I had a package sent to the Homewood Pharmacy once, and not only was it bed bug central, but the post office worker refused to release the package to me because the only ID I had was a driver's license that had expired, even though I used that ID to buy alcohol and vote.

Eventually I had to go back when she wasn't working and some other employee just gave it to me.

Roto13

Well, that's lucky. I had a package sent to the Homewood Pharmacy once, and not only was it bed bug central, but the post office worker refused to release the package to me because the only ID I had was a driver's license that had expired, even though I used that ID to buy alcohol and vote.

Eventually I had to go back when she wasn't working and some other employee just gave it to me.

The Hudsons Bay Center guys never ask me for ID, which I don't appreciate because they often just leave the card on the intercom where anyone can grab it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I went to Guu Sakabar today and wow, what an experience. Wonderful place with ridiculously cheery atmosphere and some of the best japanese food I've had. Definitely would go back again.

Top Bottom