• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

I went to Guu Sakabar today and wow, what an experience. Wonderful place with ridiculously cheery atmosphere and some of the best japanese food I've had. Definitely would go back again.

I live very close to this place so I always walk by it and wonder what it is. Can you describe what it is to me? Is it a bar or restaurant? Expensive or not? What makes it different? etc etc etc..

I've been meaning to take my wife there but I'm still not even sure what it is other than the place with tiny square windows

Mercurial

I went to Guu Sakabar today and wow, what an experience. Wonderful place with ridiculously cheery atmosphere and some of the best japanese food I've had. Definitely would go back again.
It's one of my favourite places to eat in the city. The Black Hoof just barely beats it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I live very close to this place so I always walk by it and wonder what it is. Can you describe what it is to me? Is it a bar or restaurant? Expensive or not? What makes it different? etc etc etc..

I've been meaning to take my wife there but I'm still not even sure what it is other than the place with tiny square windows

It's like... tapas for japanese food. It's got a bar, regular seating and a room for more traditional japanese seating, where you're actually sitting on cushions on the ground. The food is excellent, though kind of pricey. (But good quality tapas are generally a bit pricey) Be prepared to spend at least twenty each. The menu is really unique and not anything you'll find in a regular sushi place except maybe some of the korean choices. But the bimbimbap was one of the best I've ever had.

The most interesting part is the atmosphere. All the hosts and chefs are yelling japanese all the time super-enthusiastically. When you walk into the restaurant, the entire staffs yells to welcome you and they all yell out to say goodbye when you leave. Everyone there is just loud and cheery that you can't help but be happy there.

EDIT: Not my pictures, next time I go, I gotta remember to take a nice panorama picture.
6geIz.jpg

9wc2Y.jpg

It's one of my favourite places to eat in the city. The Black Hoof just barely beats it.

I still really need to go to the Black Hoof. How long is the wait usually? I hear it's very popular and sometimes you gotta stand for a while.

Mercurial

I still really need to go to the Black Hoof. How long is the wait usually? I hear it's very popular and sometimes you gotta stand for a while.
I usually get in right away. But I also usually go on weekdays. The one time I had to wait the Black Hoof Cafe was still open. So you just walked across the street and had drinks and delicious appetizers while you wait for your table. It was a pretty sweet setup. It's a shame that's gone.

The Guu on Church is wonderful.

Quick

Banned
That looks awesome. I'll have to check it out sometime.

$20 each doesn't sound so bad, though some of my friends are cheap as hell. :p

Blackhead

Redarse
Hey you selfish pricks, why didnt you mention these "wonderful" restaurants earlier :p
So what other suggestions do you have for the OP? Any African or Latin America restaurants worth their salt? I expected more diversity to be honest (Toronto is the most multicultural city in North America afterall) but y'all just seem to eat the same food we eat everywhere. Except poutine.

Hey you selfish pricks, why didnt you mention these "wonderful" restaurants earlier :p
So what other suggestions do you have for the OP? Any African or Latin America restaurants worth their salt? I expected more diversity to be honest (Toronto is the most multicultural city in North America afterall) but y'all just seem to eat the same food we eat everywhere. Except poutine.

We have amazing restaurants of every type and for good prices. It's just that a lot of the information people post online seems to be the wrong advice in my opinion (including most of the choices in the OP - although a couple of them truly are amazing like Pizzeria Libretto)

By the way, if anyone likes sushi and gets stuck going to "Sushi On Bloor" all the time - do yourself a favour and try a place called "Sushi Couture" which is in the same neighborhood. The have a roll called "Butter Yaki Maki" which is my favourite of all time! Try it!

Draff

Cool. Are they similar or do they have different menus?

Slightly different menus.
If anyone goes to the one on Bloor, the Udon Carbonara is amazing!

Pretty sure I mentioned Guu before :p

Here is a photo taken from inside the top spire of the almost completed 57-storey Trump Tower Toronto:

6552629159_0f63736264_b.jpg

Photo taken by Tomms. He is truly the master of getting into the best spots for photos.

ShaneB

Cheapest cab service to airport? I'm in North York since it's likely geographically based pricing.

edit: or alternatively, cheap long term parking if it's comparable in price, no big deal.

The one on Church is the original, I believe the menu's are slightly different. I haven't been to either in a while but my friends who frequent both say the one on church is better.
Although Sakabar is bigger.

Also, neither take reservations, sometimes requiring you to wait outside for what seems like forever.

Stet

Banned

I've been to both, though I've been to the Church St. one 4 or 5 times and the Bloor St. one only once. Personally, I like the Church St. one much better. The Bloor St. one is larger and doesn't feel as much like a bar, and I like the menu items at Church more.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I install and start SwapNote and 12 messages were waiting for me.

I can't believe Roto13 actually sent me a picture of his junk. :lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't want to post a new thread and nobody would care besides you guys. But FINALLY, my search is hopefully over!

Full time permanent job incoming for a top 100 employer!

It's in Scarborough, so while it'll take a long time to get to, I can stay in TO!

Best xmas gift fucking EVER!

I didn't want to post a new thread and nobody would care besides you guys. But FINALLY, my search is hopefully over!

It's in Scarborough, so while it'll take a long time to get to, I can stay in TO!

Congratulations! I'm glad it worked out for you!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Congratulations! I'm glad it worked out for you!
Thanks! I'm so goddamn getting wasted soon.

Friday is a half day where I'll ruin the management's company breakfast by popping this on them. Then I got 4 days off and a shortened week!

Haven't been this happy in a long time. Feels weird :/

Roto13

Eww, Scarborough

Cheapest cab service to airport? I'm in North York since it's likely geographically based pricing.

edit: or alternatively, cheap long term parking if it's comparable in price, no big deal.

I'm assuming you're referring to Pearson. Cabs from the airport are zoned fares. That said, if you get a Markham/York Region based cab you will pay less than from a Mississauga-based cab. About $10 less, IIRC. I don't really know why.

TO the airport, you're not getting an airport limo cab so it's just regular fare. You can try to negotiate a flat rate with your cabbie *before you shut the cab door* but otherwise you're left to his devices.

From Yorkville it costs me about $45-50 in good traffic to get to the airport. It would be about the same from Finch Stn.

Your other option is to go to Yorkdale and catch the GO bus. That's much less expensive and still fairly comfortable. It's my preferred option when I'm not in a hurry. TTC also runs a bus from Kipling to the Airport, but it really, really sucks when it's crowded.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Congrats!

ShaneB

I'm assuming you're referring to Pearson. Cabs from the airport are zoned fares. That said, if you get a Markham/York Region based cab you will pay less than from a Mississauga-based cab. About $10 less, IIRC. I don't really know why.

TO the airport, you're not getting an airport limo cab so it's just regular fare. You can try to negotiate a flat rate with your cabbie *before you shut the cab door* but otherwise you're left to his devices.

From Yorkville it costs me about $45-50 in good traffic to get to the airport. It would be about the same from Finch Stn.

Your other option is to go to Yorkdale and catch the GO bus. That's much less expensive and still fairly comfortable. It's my preferred option when I'm not in a hurry. TTC also runs a bus from Kipling to the Airport, but it really, really sucks when it's crowded.

Thanks for the advice, but booked my cab earlier, so no big deal. 30 bucks!

Quick

Banned

Congratulations!

My fingers are crossed about getting a full time job next year downtown. I already work at the place infrequently, but there's a position that might open up.

Eww, Scarborough

NOT COOL, BRO.

I called the place home for 5 years. Don't be hating.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:lol
Thanks guys!

I ain't hatin' but I met plenty of people from there refer to it as 'Scarberia'.

When I first came back to Toronto, I stayed wiyh my cousin in Scarborough. Miss going to Brimley with the two arcades near each other ;_;

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda surprised there isn't any snow. Past few years we've always had some on xmas.

Still, I am enjoying the temperate weather, but worry this summer is gonna broil us ALL

Quick

Banned
Kinda surprised there isn't any snow. Past few years we've always had some on xmas.

Still, I am enjoying the temperate weather, but worry this summer is gonna broil us ALL

I dread summer with the potential of extremely hot weather, but with no snow to shovel and no slipper roads to drive and potentially slip on. I'll enjoy this winter as much as I can.

Whats with the lack of lights downtown? Did Rob Ford include them in his service cuts?

I remember Nathan Philips Square having a lot more in previous years

Top Bottom