• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Kinda surprised there isn't any snow. Past few years we've always had some on xmas.

Still, I am enjoying the temperate weather, but worry this summer is gonna broil us ALL

I'm fine with that. Summer I play tons of baseball so the hotter the better. Love playing on those hot sunny days.

Kinda surprised there isn't any snow. Past few years we've always had some on xmas.

Still, I am enjoying the temperate weather, but worry this summer is gonna broil us ALL

When doesn't summer broil us? You can't go above 24 degrees in this city without the humidity pushing it to at least 32.

And Merrry Christmas, Toronto-GAF!

Is there anyone in Toronto looking for two car amps, a sub and a capacitor? I bought them brand new and used them for about two months before buying a new car.

They're just collecting dust and I want to get rid of them ASAP.

Sober

Merry Christmas everyone! We complain about the lack of snow now, but just wait a few weeks. :p
Curious, but when exactly was the last green Christmas in Toronto? I could only remember having one in the 90s or something? As far as I remember every other year up until now between then has been white.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Snow is no problem for me. My dog loves it, I don't drive, or have to shovel it. Plus I grew up in warmer weather, so I appreciate a nice white Christmas now. ;)

But if weather holds up, I am looking forward to seeing the fire works from the Humber Bay Arch Bridge this year. Still wouldn't mind a bit of snow on the ground to make it more picturesque though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Snow is no problem for me. My dog loves it, I don't drive, or have to shovel it. Plus I grew up in warmer weather, so I appreciate a nice white Christmas now. ;)

But if weather holds up, I am looking forward to seeing the fire works from the Humber Bay Arch Bridge this year. Still wouldn't mind a bit of snow on the ground to make it more picturesque though.
You...you shaddap, fatso! >;(

<_<
>_>

Free peins!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
My friends and I went to buffalo yesterday for shopping and man going to the US side of Niagara is depressing. Nearly 90% of all the stores there are boarded up and everything looks miserable. It's weird that the Canadian side is this pretty neat tourist destination, while the US side is like a slum.

Anyways, on the way back we stopped at August 8 in Hamilton for sushi/dim sum. It's fantastic restaurant despite the odds of:

a) being an all you can eat sushi place
b) also serving dim sum
c) is in hamilton

It really has fantastic food compared to every other all you can eat sushi. They've got the best spicy salmon/white tune and unagi sushi I've ever had. Plus the sushi pizza actually doesn't suck. I've been there a couple of times and it's always been worth the detour. I think there's one in burlington but I haven't gone to it so I don't have any clue if it is as good.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
U.S.A side of Niagara has been that way for a while. There's a real bitterness towards the Canadians on that side too.

Niagara Falls, Ontario is very nice down toward the river and falls, but it more closely mirrors the American side if you actually go into the city itself; a lot of older houses that are not kept in great shape and run down lots.

Sounds like a nice sushi place, Divvy. Too bad I haven't been to Hamilton in years. Hamilton's downtown is actually a bit underrated and I think their recent development is in the right direction. I wonder what the progress of the LRT in Hamilton is.

Holmes

There'd better be snow here when I get back home on the second, guys. If mother nature's not gonna bother keeping a layer of snow on the ground by January, she shouldn't bother for the year.

U.S.A side of Niagara has been that way for a while. There's a real bitterness towards the Canadians on that side too.

TBH, I've found the US side of most Canada-US border crossings I've been through to be more dismal than their Canadian counterparts. Though I've had the opposite experience re: attitudes. Most of them have been very kind and grateful for the tourism dollars.

Roto13

From my one trip to the US ever, I've come to the conclusion that it's a terribly depressing country.

Also I'm going to go ahead and assume that the entire country is like the one city I visited, which was LA.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
TBH, I've found the US side of most Canada-US border crossings I've been through to be more dismal than their Canadian counterparts. Though I've had the opposite experience re: attitudes. Most of them have been very kind and grateful for the tourism dollars.
Those Canadians...such assholes, eh?!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Regarding attitudes: Maybe for some of the tourist shops, but having lived in western New York and a border town (Lewiston), there is definitely a hint of jealousy / bitterness toward how well off people across the border are.

From my one trip to the US ever, I've come to the conclusion that it's a terribly depressing country.

Also I'm going to go ahead and assume that the entire country is like the one city I visited, which was LA.

Right state, wrong city.
Visit San Francisco <3

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Actually, I didn't even imply that my fellow Canadians were assholes.

Though the case may be made for a defensive inferiority complex....

I'm thinking that inferiority complex a lot of Canadians seem to have is diminishing, and is being replaced with straight up arrogance.

I'm thinking that inferiority complex a lot of Canadians seem to have is diminishing, and is being replaced with straight up arrogance.
Anecdotally and rationally it makes sense that this might happen given the "new wave nationalism" that we've seen in the political and social culture, but the optimist in me hopes it's not so.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anecdotally and rationally it makes sense that this might happen given the "new wave nationalism" that we've seen in the political and social culture, but the optimist in me hopes it's not so.
Thought I was clearly kidding there... :p

I don't see this new-fangled nationalism you all speak of.

Thought I was clearly kidding there... :p

I don't see this new-fangled nationalism you all speak of.

It's late and I'm tired, but the two most obvious examples to me right now are:

- If you're not cheering for Team Canada at the Olympics, you're cheering against Canada.

- If you didn't agree with war or troop deployment in Afghanistan, you were a Taliban-supporting freedom-loathing Canadian Forces-hater.

dudeworld

anyone know where these photos were taken?

DSC_9367.jpg

DSC_9382.jpg

found them on a russian site about toronto. elgin and winter garden or something like that?

whitehawk

Banned
I've been there before to see a comedy show before to see Louis Black and Seth Myers. It's downtown somewhere, but I can't remember the name.

LA makes me hate humanity. I actually like a lot of cities in the US but LA is not one of them. Fuck. I really hate that damn place.

Roto13

LA makes me hate humanity. I actually like a lot of cities in the US but LA is not one of them. Fuck. I really hate that damn place.

Just being in LA is unpleasant. Standing on a street corner for 30 seconds is just a very uncomfortable experience. Horrible shithole of a city. I can't believe people live there by choice.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's late and I'm tired, but the two most obvious examples to me right now are:

- If you're not cheering for Team Canada at the Olympics, you're cheering against Canada.

- If you didn't agree with war or troop deployment in Afghanistan, you were a Taliban-supporting freedom-loathing Canadian Forces-hater.

Hmm...first example, I never came across since EVERYONE I knew personally was cheering for Canada. And sports brings out the nuts anyways (HI TO NHL GAF!)

As for the second, I was against war and troop deployment, and I didn't catch any flak for it. Totally anecdotal of course.

And we're nowhere near as bad as our neighbours down south who seem to consider EVERYTHING non-American = WRONG. GOD, I heard "we don't do that in America...hmmm but in America we...WHY would they do that here...?!" so much when I was teaching in Korea.

@Azih THANKS! :D

Hmm...first example, I never came across since EVERYONE I knew personally was cheering for Canada. And sports brings out the nuts anyways (HI TO NHL GAF!)

As for the second, I was against war and troop deployment, and I didn't catch any flak for it. Totally anecdotal of course.

And we're nowhere near as bad as our neighbours down south who seem to consider EVERYTHING non-American = WRONG. GOD, I heard "we don't do that in America...hmmm but in America we...WHY would they do that here...?!" so much when I was teaching in Korea.

Fair points both. They weren't universal. Just heightened, by comparison to the two decades-or-so prior to Canada's New Government, where nobody really cared about much except the GST.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I feel bad for Raptors fans. They come out in full force and cheer pretty hard for most of the game, but they know they can't close in the end.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for Raptors fans. They come out in full force and cheer pretty hard for most of the game, but they know they can't close in the end.
Craptors...COME AT ME, BROS! :mad:

Will always remember going to a game and having a dude get the ol rejection after a half time proposal...

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
so how much $$$ did u guys spend on boxing day? what did u guys buy?

I restrained myself this year. The only thing was when we went to Buffalo for cheap clothing, I snagged some cheapass boxers from banana republic and a shirt from abercrombie. Normally I hate these brands, but it was just soooo cheap.

Brinbe

Don't feel bad, those type of losses are the best results we can hope for. Close, exciting game where DeMar played well. And they still got the L, which is the greater good in the end, at least this season.

Roto13

I ordered a PS Display for $300 on Christmas Eve (the start of the boxing day sales online) but it hasn't gotten here yet. The annoying part is Best Buy says the estimated arrival is between December 26th and January 8th. That's a two-week delivery window. That's not good enough.

I don't mind so much if it takes two weeks to get here, exactly, but I do not appreciate a two-week window. That means they expect me to be expecting a delivery any time between Monday past and next Sunday. They really should be able to narrow it down further than that.

If I had waited until Monday and just bought it in-store, I'd have it by now, but I guess I'd be responsible for finding a way to get it to my apartment myself.

I wanted an Asus Transformer but the only place that actually had it on sale was NCIX... in-store... are they only had nine (yeah, NINE) available in the entire province. No way was I going to drive to either Mississauga or Markham and leave with nothing with such a low amount of units available. Ended up just getting Alien Anthology on Blu-ray and a case for my Kobo.

Futureshop and Best Buy were such failures this year.

Top Bottom