• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Happy New Year Toronto-GAF? Where was everyone this year?

I was at home watching the countdown at Nathan Phillips Square, well my sister was out there at least.

For the biggest city in Canada, Citytv's show was positively shameful.

Can't they get, you know, a good performer for once?

Sober

For the biggest city in Canada, Citytv's show was positively shameful.

Can't they get, you know, a good performer for once?
Yeah I found it weird this year they just cut to Calgary right after the clock ran over. Last year (or the year before) they had the Rock of Ages cast right? And at least every year before that they kept it going at least until 12:30.

Happy New Year!

The TTC was such a lovely shitshow tonight lol
People trying to push onto the subway and just getting boxed out of the way lol
I hope all the drivers and staff stayed calm tonight, I wouldn't

Awesome of the TTC to do this every year

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Spent the night at my uncle's house in Markham since he has a dinner party every year. Great eats + family = great time as usual.

ili0926

I was AT NPS for the countdown...performers were lame a few and far between but the fireworks were sick! Then headed out to party with some high school friends.

Happy New Year Toronto-GAF!!!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You do realize this is Rogers' fault, right? And how long did you get good service from TekSavvy before Rogers started causing them problems they had to deal with over Christmas?

If you take a look at my post history, I was the biggest tek supporter. I realize it was Roger's fault, but my cable had been acting up for awhile during the day before all this and I'm not happy with the lack of and miscommunication. Hell, even when I was on cable, I'd have unstable ping.

I'd still be with them if they had provided warning ahead of time in the form of an advance email or call with an estimate and guarantees of reimbursement instead of a blog post I had to check on my phone. For the CSR to even say it wasn't a DHCP error in the first place is deceptive or just plain ignorant when I had suggested it might be that.

Whatever, hopefully I just get back up soon and tek takes robbers to court.

Happy New Year Toronto-GAF? Where was everyone this year?

I was at home watching the countdown at Nathan Phillips Square, well my sister was out there at least.
Took my siblings to the movies and just went home and went to sleep. Had considered going to nps to meet up with some friends or going to a poker game that my cousins were holding but was too lazy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Took my siblings to the movies and just went home and went to sleep. Had considered going to nps to meet up with some friends or going to a poker game that my cousins were holding but was too lazy.

At fellow gaffers house eating, drinking, and stealing his wifi. A lot tamer this year than previous. Usually, we would be up really late watching bad movies and drinking. There's still tons of booze left and they all slept quite early. I AM DISAPPOINT, Jenov!!!

Quick

Banned
Happy New Year, guys!

I just stayed home with my family and watched the NPS countdown on TV. Performers were lame as hell, but that's okay. Rob Ford doing his speech was funny, since either CityTV muted the boos, or no one cared for what he said.

The TTC was running late last night? And here I hoofed it like 2km for nothing! That's what I get for flying in on a days notice and not checking anything...

Spent the night with a couple friends at VIP Billiards on Yonge. Great place, really nice tables, was pretty full all night long. Bar staff was friendly, if a little overworked, and this one waitress didn't bother to charge me for my drinks. Needless to say she got a decent tip, and I just told every other waitress I was good until she came around. (I'd been in in the middle of the afternoon for about an hour to kill some time while I waited to hear back from people, and ordered one drink. Came back like 6 hours later wearing different clothes and glasses, she remembered who I was and what I was drinking. I was thoroughly impressed.)

In the bar area they also cleared some room out for a dance floor that was sorely underused, but it was all about the pool anyway; I mean really, who goes to a pool hall for a club experience? I'm guessing it was mostly rhe girls who were dragged along by their boyfriends who wanted to hang with the boys and shoot some pool. Poor ladies.

Anyway, solid night all around. Ended up about 20 bucks up off of games and drank free for the night. That works for me!!!

EDIT: Another couple days here and then back to Vancouver/Victoria. First year out in BC, loved having the green Christmas, but it was also nice to have a light dusting on the ground in Toronto for new years. Best of both worlds. Firestorm, embrace the rain! It is beautiful!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
uDFz7.jpg

We've always avoided the core during New Year's, not because of the TTC service itself, but because of the people. If you think people are rude at 6pm on a Wednesday after work, try at 1:00am after they've been out in the freezing cold for hours and have more liquor in them than your local LCBO.

And sadly, we're too far outside the 'core' to walk home. ;_;

TTC costs $3.10 as of this morning. Happy New Year, Toronto!

I stocked up on about a months worth of tokens
haven't had to buy a metro pass in a while
, but I really should have bought more. Now they sell them in packs of 3 and 7s?

And let's not forget the biggest hike of them all: $128 metro pass now.

I stocked up on about a months worth of tokens
haven't had to buy a metro pass in a while
, but I really should have bought more. Now they sell them in packs of 3 and 7s?

And let's not forget the biggest hike of them all: $128 metro pass now.

But hey, at least "the war on the car" is over, right?

Stet

Banned
When they announced the hike, I came up with an awesome plan to mobilize Toronto by having everyone pay their cash fare as usual, but pay the extra 10 cents entirely in pennies. I'm not sure why this really sticks it to the man, but I think it has something to do with pennies being devalued eventually and that extra cash being worthless to them.

I was likely drunk.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
When they announced the hike, I came up with an awesome plan to mobilize Toronto by having everyone pay their cash fare as usual, but pay the extra 10 cents entirely in pennies. I'm not sure why this really sticks it to the man, but I think it has something to do with pennies being devalued eventually and that extra cash being worthless to them.

I was likely drunk.

Pay the whole thing in pennies

Anony

i bought 60$ worth of tokens...
but yeah, shit sucks

my friends were talking about the ttc, and the vancouver subway yesterday and how the vancouver was better (ie it's not really any better), is that the only reason the vancouver one was better was because it's cleaner, hence it feels better to ride
the conclusion we ended up was no one respects the ttc property people just litter and (i guess last night) people were puking inside the platforms (coulda at least on the tracks, not that that's any better), hence, everything is dirty and shit, and it's perceived worse than it is
i came back to toronto for the week (from work in cambridge) and i rode on the new subways luckily, and it was all nice and clean and spacious, it's sad to think when these roll out, within a month or 2, it's gonna be all dirty and vandalized and shit
(friend said the subway was pretty much the same as the ones used in hong kong)

I was likely drunk.

After that one time on Christmas a few years ago, when my fare payment included 5 pennies, I'm never attempting to pay with any amount of pennies ever again.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
i bought 60$ worth of tokens...
but yeah, shit sucks

my friends were talking about the ttc, and the vancouver subway yesterday and how the vancouver was better (ie it's not really any better), is that the only reason the vancouver one was better was because it's cleaner, hence it feels better to ride
the conclusion we ended up was no one respects the ttc property people just litter and (i guess last night) people were puking inside the platforms (coulda at least on the tracks, not that that's any better), hence, everything is dirty and shit, and it's perceived worse than it is
i came back to toronto for the week (from work in cambridge) and i rode on the new subways luckily, and it was all nice and clean and spacious, it's sad to think when these roll out, within a month or 2, it's gonna be all dirty and vandalized and shit
(friend said the subway was pretty much the same as the ones used in hong kong)

Look at it this way; the new subways will take the TTC years to roll out, so we'll have a few clean new cars every few months for years!

So, was anyone else completely ashamed by Citytv's New Years Bash last night?

Our city is one of the top 5 largest and top 5 most influential cities on the continent, we have very powerful local media, we have a thriving music scene with internationally renowned artists... and all we manage to get at the city's only major celebration are C-list pop acts playing throwaway "hits", and one of the Backstreet Boys (LOL). Only the 5% of the crowd closest to the stage looked to be at all entertained. Even Buffalo would have been ashamed by it all.

So, was anyone else completely ashamed by Citytv's New Years Bash last night?

Our city is one of the top 5 largest and top 5 most influential cities on the continent, we have very powerful local media, we have a thriving music scene with internationally renowned artists... and all we manage to get at the city's only major celebration are C-list pop acts playing throwaway "hits", and one of the Backstreet Boys (LOL). Only the 5% of the crowd closest to the stage looked to be at all entertained. Even Buffalo would have been ashamed by it all.

I'm ashamed of every NYE thing on tv. Even the New York one seems like a cheesy piece of crap to me. It's just a more expensive piece of crap.

Ya, the City TV show is always horrible, just watch CNN for Kathy Griffin acting psychotic and creeping out Anderson Cooper

I thought only tokens were going up 10 cents and cash fare was staying the same, I swear I heard that on the news

Edit - TTC.ca has cash fare for 3.000 and tokens for 2.60

I heard right

Stet

Banned
Ya, the City TV show is always horrible, just watch CNN for Kathy Griffin acting psychotic and creeping out Anderson Cooper

I thought only tokens were going up 10 cents and cash fare was staying the same, I swear I heard that on the news

I heard right

Sweet deal.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
the hell happened there? union is my closest subway station but i walk everywhere so i'll never see that in person haha.

I believe the photo was from before the reno (2010), but Union has always been a bit of a craphole (like many stations). Union does have the feeling like if they stuck a bit of money into it, it could be a really great looking station, which is what makes it sad.

cbox

I think union may have been worse, but islington station is just pathetic. The rest of the stations are ok in the west at least.

Quick

Banned
Went to Pacific Mall today and found a place that sells Blu-ray disc cases for $1 each. If anyone's curious, it's at a store beside the egg waffles place on the second floor. Hell yes!

Still need to find a PS3 case, though. The place didn't have it.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I heard right

yeah, we turned to the count down with 30 seconds to go and I was wondering why it looked...off???

Oh well, 2011 was a fucking shitty year (probably the second worse since I got back from Korea). I'm fucking glad it's over and hope 2012 is better and so far it looks good...would be better once my internet gets back up and I can shoot EM's fat ass.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm finally back in Toronto tomorrow. Weather Network says it's snowing. Is it? Is it staying?

Melted away the last few days. Looks like it'll stay below freezing tomorrow, but not 'that much' snow fall.

yeah, we turned to the count down with 30 seconds to go and I was wondering why it looked...off???

Oh well, 2011 was a fucking shitty year (probably the second worse since I got back from Korea). I'm fucking glad it's over and hope 2012 is better and so far it looks good...would be better once my internet gets back up and I can shoot EM's fat ass.

Agreed, 2011 was a very meh year for me. And I just like how 2012 looks. I have a good feeling about this.

But not about shooting my fat ass.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Melted away the last few days. Looks like it'll stay below freezing tomorrow, but not 'that much' snow fall.

Agreed, 2011 was a very meh year for me. And I just like how 2012 looks. I have a good feeling about this.

But not about shooting my fat ass.

learn to play something besides a big and slow target :mad:

As for 2011, it was truly the year of the gravy train...

Get car tax removed? Lulz and raise ttc fares just before the new year!

Libraries? Who needs libraries? Close them up and put Timmy's in their places. It'll create jobs and keep our mayor from becoming donut less!

Roto13

The tracking info for my PS 3D Display hasn't been updated since Thursday. The expected delivery date is still set to last Friday. It doesn't even say it was ever sent out for delivery. The last update is "Item picked up by Canada Post" on Thursday.

Seriously hate Canada Post.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
but you became a citizen in 2011! It's a great achievement! You now have the legal right to vote against Rob Ford in the next election!

I did enjoy becoming a citizen. It was great. One of the proudest moments of my life! But I stand by 2011 for the most part being a very meh year overall.

And yes, once I can help vote Ford out of office, that will be a good year
in 2014. :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I did enjoy becoming a citizen. It was great. One of the proudest moments of my life! But I stand by 2011 for the most part being a very meh year overall.

And yes, once I can help vote Ford out of office, that will be a good year
in 2014. :(

The rate he is going, he should do something for us to kick him out soon enough.

Barrier to becoming a Canadian citizen - test you can finish in five minutes....or was that ten minutes?

Top Bottom