• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

I hear rogers has been locking down on this a lot lately. Too many people have been calling retentions, so they're being more anal about giving out the goods.

Raise a fuss. Big time. Find specific flaws in their billing that they miscommunicated to you. It also helps if you have a raging girlfriend who takes the phone from you and terrifies the customer service rep, and she gives it back to you and you talk to the guy all calm and understanding.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Has anyone been inside Active Surplus at Queen street?

I don't know why, but it looks shady and weird. Probably the gorilla that does it.

One of the best places in the city for cheap hardware materials, cables and other odds and ends. And one of the few reasons we still visit Queen St around Spadina. After Silver Snail moves (if it ever does now, as they've threatened), there won't be much else.

Raise a fuss. Big time. Find specific flaws in their billing that they miscommunicated to you. It also helps if you have a raging girlfriend who takes the phone from you and terrifies the customer service rep, and she gives it back to you and you talk to the guy all calm and understanding.

I thought Firestorm was the champion of retention exploitation, but a new challenger has appeared.

Quick

Banned
One of the best places in the city for cheap hardware materials, cables and other odds and ends. And one of the few reasons we still visit Queen St around Spadina. After Silver Snail moves (if it ever does now, as they've threatened), there won't be much else.

EvilMario endorsed, my opinion has changed somewhat. :p

Yeah, what's the deal with Silver Snail moving? I swear I thought they were moving ages ago, but if you check the FAQ on their website, they said they won't be moving anytime soon.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
They didn't like the property owner, and were threatening to move to the Annex for a while. Annex already has a couple great comic shops (The Labyrinth and the more traditional comic shop, The Beguiling), so it definitely would have been crowded. I think a few of us discussed this before.

And yeah, check out Active Surplus, even if you don't think you'll need anything.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You guys are forgetting Condom Shack!

http://condomshack.com/shop/
nUikG.jpg
tCZfq.jpg

Speaking of Condom Shack, they apparently won't receive any compensation for G20 damages because it closed without being told to. You see what foresight gets you.

Stet

Banned
Active Surplus is great. They have such an eclectic stock, you can find things you wouldn't ever imagine a store would sell, but that you need for some reason.

Like test tubes. And plastic santa statues.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They didn't like the property owner, and were threatening to move to the Annex for a while. Annex already has a couple great comic shops (The Labyrinth and the more traditional comic shop, The Beguiling), so it definitely would have been crowded. I think a few of us discussed this before.

And yeah, check out Active Surplus, even if you don't think you'll need anything.
Wait, if Beguiling is "traditional", what's The Labyrinth?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wait, if Beguiling is "traditional", what's The Labyrinth?

Labyrinth has a much smaller selection, and I'd say they're more of a specialty shop. They carry a lot more imported concept and sketch art books for games and animes, and toys. I actually prefer them. Beguiling is such a mess most of the time, but it definitely has what I'd consider a traditional feel. :p

edit: Speaking of comics in the area, I should mention that BMV Books has a pretty damn decent selection, including a lot of older comics, on their third floor.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
But if the problem was with Rogers and not Teksavvy, switching from one Rogers reseller to another Rogers reseller seems at best a sideways move.

You don't t know the story either. Even right now Teksavvy is still having issues with DHCP. NO ETA ON A FIX. Acanac was not and still to my knowledge has no dhcp issue. I was sick of Teksavvy not knowing what was going on. On their blog some people have been out for 3 weeks and no ETA. It's not like they said for sure by Jan 4 I would be back. They just offered DSL...which would take another 5 days or more to set up.

I call acanac and they tell me Jan 12 or earlier. Now it's fucking mid Jan or fucking later. You guys honestly would've waited it out? It was 2 weeks and nothing but call back in 48 hrs.

I just want this goddamn issue resolved and can't understand why I'm not a transfer and not a new set up.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Labyrinth has a much smaller selection, and I'd say they're more of a specialty shop. They carry a lot more imported concept and sketch art books for games and animes, and toys. I actually prefer them. Beguiling is such a mess most of the time, but it definitely has what I'd consider a traditional feel. :p

The Labyrinth has actually a pretty great selection, especially when they setup temporary shops in various schools. They have more stock than what's available in their stores I believe, you gotta ask for it though. However the guy that runs the store is kind of a prick, at least when I helped him setup his store at my school, so I sort of don't go as much as I'd like.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Labyrinth has actually a pretty great selection, especially when they setup temporary shops in various schools. They have more stock than what's available in their stores I believe, you gotta ask for it though. However the guy that runs the store is kind of a prick, at least when I helped him setup his store at my school, so I sort of don't go as much as I'd like.

I've had good experiences with the Labyrinth, and their comic selection is okay, but by comparison, it is relatively small to other comic shops in the city (Hairy Tarantula, Comix, Red Nails II). They've even offered to special order items for me, one they're one of the few places in the city that get some of the higher quality gaming art books.

And once more speaking of comic shops, Dragon Lady Comics is closing soon. Probably one of the lesser known comic shops, unless you live in the area.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

edit: Speaking of comics in the area, I should mention that BMV Books has a pretty damn decent selection, including a lot of older comics, on their third floor.
I always thought of Beguiling as hipster heaven, so I'm almost afraid of what Labyrinth is like.

You don't t know the story either. Even right now Teksavvy is still having issues with DHCP. NO ETA ON A FIX. Acanac was not and still to my knowledge has no dhcp issue. I was sick of Teksavvy not knowing what was going on. On their blog some people have been out for 3 weeks and no ETA. It's not like they said for sure by Jan 4 I would be back. They just offered DSL...which would take another 5 days or more to set up.

I call acanac and they tell me Jan 12 or earlier. Now it's fucking mid Jan or fucking later. You guys honestly would've waited it out? It was 2 weeks and nothing but call back in 48 hrs.

I just want this goddamn issue resolved and can't understand why I'm not a transfer and not a new set up.
I know it sucks and whatnot, but I probably would have just stuck with the free DSL offer rather than go through the trouble of changing ISPs.

Rinoa

Has anyone been inside Active Surplus at Queen street?

I don't know why, but it looks shady and weird. Probably the gorilla that does it.

Active Surplus is an awesome toronto thing, the gorilla makes it awesomer. The day Active Surplus and dudes in gorilla suits disappear will be the true death of queen west.

The guy with the DHCP issue. I understand you issue i was in the same boat. I switched to rogers actually for some time. I think rogers does this deliberately to screw tekseavy . Also they offer free dsl to cable problem people if that counts.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Whoa whoa whoa. Link?

5VDBvm.jpg

but seriously,

REDMOND, Wash., Jan. 5, 2012 - Starting today, video game fans and music lovers in North America can purchase tickets for an extraordinary concert tour that celebrates one of the most beloved game series of all time. The Legend of Zelda™: Symphony of the Goddesses tour will feature live orchestral performances of theme music from Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda franchise.

The name "Symphony of the Goddesses" refers not only to the concert program but also to the new four-movement symphony recounting the classic storylines from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time™, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker™, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess™ and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past™. Fans can also expect to hear stirring orchestral renditions of music from other series games, including The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening™ and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask™. The full orchestra will be conducted by Eímear Noone with arrangements by music director Chad Seiter.

Since first appearing in 1986, The Legend of Zelda game series has sold more than 65 million units worldwide. The most recent entry in the series is The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, which launched exclusively for the Wii™ console in November.

Concert dates and locations are as follows (subject to change):
Jan. 10 Dallas, TX
March 14 Vancouver, British Columbia
March 26 Seattle, WA
March 28 San Francisco, CA
April 7 Denver, CO
April 20 Phoenix, AZ
April 21 Phoenix, AZ
May 12 Atlanta, GA
May 31 Montreal, Quebec
June 22 Austin, TX
July 14 Orlando, FL
Sept. 29* Toronto, Ontario
* tickets on sale March 31
Additional dates and locations will be announced throughout 2012. Fans can view a complete tour schedule with ticketing information, and also sign up for a regularly updated digital newsletter at http://zelda-symphony.com. For more information about The Legend of Zelda video game series, visit http://zelda.nintendo.com.

Haha. My definition would be banjo man and anyone to his right. Scott Pilgram is pretty much the dude in the brown sweatshirt. :p

Nah, he's the third from the left. He's in a crappy band and wears t-shirts.

Fun Fact: Bryan Lee O'Malley actually hates the term "hipster" being used for Scott Pilgrim. He hates it so much that he ironically had Ramona wear a shirt that says "Hipster" in one of the volumes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hipster heaven? Since when do hipsters read comic books and look like nerds?

The Labyrinth prominently features tons of artbooks full of busty women, so aside from paintings of evil rabbits, it's not very hipster.

The Beguiling is more or less the birthplace of Scott Pilgrim.
If you are an indie comic book fan and you go around buying books from Fantagraphics or D&Q and you know who "Seth" is, you are pretty hipster. That's the definition of The Beguiling to me. So when someone says a store is even more niche than that, I have to raise an eyebrow.

Nah, he's the third from the left. He's in a crappy band and wears t-shirts.

Fun Fact: Bryan Lee O'Malley actually hates the term "hipster" being used for Scott Pilgrim. He hates it so much that he ironically had Ramona wear a shirt that says "Hipster" in one of the volumes.

By that definition pretty much anyone between 18 and 35 is a hipster. Anyways, the Beguiling is about as "normal" as any comic book store could be.

If you are an indie comic book fan and you go around buying books from Fantagraphics or D&Q and you know who "Seth" is, you are pretty hipster. That's the definition of The Beguiling to me. So when someone says a store is even more niche than that, I have to raise an eyebrow.

You have a really bizarre definition of the term "hipster". I think you mean "hardcore graphic novel reader".

I've pretty much been out of the world of comics for a few years, shit gets expensive, but I have a couple of books from Seth and they're both personally signed. So I guess I'm a hispter.

By that definition pretty much anyone between 18 and 35 is a hipster. Anyways, the Beguiling is about as "normal" as any comic book store could be.

If you've only seen the upstairs, The Beguiling could be considered "normal". "City normal", at least. Then there's "suburban normal", and that's a way different story.

The downstairs of The Beguiling is so very far from normal. It's actually hailed as possibly the finest comic shop in North America for indie and non-mainstream stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You have a really bizarre definition of the term "hipster". I think you mean "hardcore graphic novel reader".
I've pretty much been out of the world of comics for a few years, shit gets expensive, but I have a couple of books from Seth and they're both personally signed. So I guess I'm a hispter.
I was a comic book hipster in the 90s. You'd go to Beguiling to find out when the latest collaborative comic book "jam" was and that was basically an invitation to meet every single indie comic book artist in Toronto in one place. Now, it's "mainstreamed" because all you have to do is just wait for TCAF and do that once a year.

If you've only seen the upstairs, The Beguiling could be considered "normal". "City normal", at least. Then there's "suburban normal", and that's a way different story.

The downstairs of The Beguiling is so very far from normal. It's actually hailed as possibly the finest comic shop in North America for indie and non-mainstream stuff.
Yeah, it's the anti-Silver Snail, really.

whitehawk

Banned
Full of loud fans that clapped DURING the performances when stuff they liked was shown on the screen. You can see it in the videos of the performance there.
They were probably expecting a Video Games Live type concert, where cheering and clapping during the concert is encouraged.

It's all relative. Someone who buys all the graphic novels from Marvel and DC would probably call someone who buys all the graphic novels from Oni and D&Q a hispter.

In summary, it's comic book nerds who are to blame for dropping uninformed h-bombs all the time, giving me one more reason to want to punch them in the face. :p

soultron

Banned
Hopefully the Toronto audience isn't as obnoxious as the LA one reportedly was.

Toronto was pretty bad at a recent Distant Worlds (Final Fantasy) concert I went to. They were clapping mid-performance.

What a disrespect to the honour of Nobuo-saaaaan~

He was actually there. 3 seats away from me. It was cool.

I was a comic book hipster in the 90s. You'd go to Beguiling to find out when the latest collaborative comic book "jam" was and that was basically an invitation to meet every single indie comic book artist in Toronto in one place. Now, it's "mainstreamed" because all you have to do is just wait for TCAF and do that once a year.

In the early '90s I was mainstream. In the late '90s I was a manga snob. It really wasn't until the '00s that the suburbs really released their grip on me and I went the indie route.

For a few short years, starting with when I went to OCAD, I regularly attended indie comic launch parties in the city. It was a pretty awesome time. (Now I have absolutely no social life outside of my girlfriend. x_x)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I have, and that's entirely my point. Both you and firehawk are not helping matters and are giving me an aneurysm.
You're such a hipster about being hipster. That's so meta-hipster.

For a few short years, starting with when I went to OCAD, I regularly attended indie comic launch parties in the city. It was a pretty awesome time. (Now I have absolutely no social life outside of my girlfriend. x_x)
Hah, you were in for a while then. Mid 2000s was when I bailed because I had a shelf full of graphic novels and 8 long boxes full of floppies that are pretty much worthless and I realized that collecting these things was just the beginnings of being a hoarder. I probably need to throw all this stuff on Craig's sometime.

You're such a hipster about being hipster. That's so meta-hipster.

Hah, you were in for a while then. Mid 2000s was when I bailed because I had a shelf full of graphic novels and 8 long boxes full of floppies that are pretty much worthless and I realized that collecting these things was just the beginnings of being a hoarder. I probably need to throw all this stuff on Craig's sometime.

I've got boxes full of stuff that my dad hates storing for me.

But ya, I stopped collecting about 5 or 6 years ago. I had no money for it anymore, going out on weekends had taken priority over it for entertainment dollars well before that point, and I didn't actually read everything I bought.

I still stop in comic shops once in a while and spend an hour or so at TCAF, though.

Top Bottom