• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Toronto was pretty bad at a recent Distant Worlds (Final Fantasy) concert I went to. They were clapping mid-performance.

What a disrespect to the honour of Nobuo-saaaaan~

He was actually there. 3 seats away from me. It was cool.
He totally walked behind me and I didn't notice. Got him to sign a CD though. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No, a hipster would never have an aneurism. It's too mainstream. Whatever he had, I'm sure you've never heard of it.
As long as he was wearing Real3D glasses, a necktie with an ironic slogan on it and a pair of pants made up of two different pairs of pants sewed together while he was having it.

Quick

Banned
That's the second game I attended that Phaneuf got injured.

Saw the Sens/Leafs game last year, where Phaneuf got cut by a skate and ended up missing a few games.

MPW

college orientation woooooooooooooooo

** few hours later **

books for only winter term will cost me $600

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccck

this is bs :(

Roto13

** few hours later **

I may or may not have scanned my classmates textbooks in college and then burned them onto CDs and handed them out for free to everyone taking my classes the following year with instructions to pay it forward.

And it's possible my instructors thought that was awesome because textbook "editions" are bullshit and every goddamn knows it.

soultron

Banned
Does it make me a bad GTA'er considering the fact that I don't really "get" The Weeknd?

I don't want to post this in GAF-Hop because I'd get booed.

Quick

Banned
I may or may not have scanned my classmates textbooks in college and then burned them onto CDs and handed them out for free to everyone taking my classes the following year with instructions to pay it forward.

And it's possible my instructors thought that was awesome because textbook "editions" are bullshit and every goddamn knows it.

You done good. Wish I did this at the time.

I made the mistake of buying all of my books in my first year. Ended up using just a couple of them.

Since then, I wait for class and the instructors tell us if we're going to use our text books a lot or not. If not, we borrow the book and scan pages we needed.

BKXB

Economist
Does it make me a bad GTA'er considering the fact that I don't really "get" The Weeknd?

I don't want to post this in GAF-Hop because I'd get booed.

Out of the three, I only really dig House of Balloons, and off that album the track of the same name / Glass Table Girls.

You done good. Wish I did this at the time.

I made the mistake of buying all of my books in my first year. Ended up using just a couple of them.

Since then, I wait for class and the instructors tell us if we're going to use our text books a lot or not. If not, we borrow the book and scan pages we needed.

Same, first year at York I bought almost all books during orientation week
Second year I waited until I needed them or just borrowed them off reserve from the library or had TAs that suggested other places to get the material for free

** few hours later **

LOL! First Year?

I was "dumb" enough to buy books at university stores for the first two years. After that, I relied on online stores and other friends who are senior to me and don't need the book anymore.

By the end, I've stopped buying books and share one amongst eveyone. Photocopied only the important chapters for open book tests (barely making it to the legal requirement of 10% of book that you can photocopy, which clearly shows how useless these books are), and actually achieved a higher mark than I do usually. Last semester, can't wait!!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Receipt checkers thread had me thinking about Anime Xtreme (Chinatown, north of Dundas) during Christmas. They were actually enforcing their 'leave bags at the front' policy, so my wife and I turned around a left. We both carry messenger bags, and usually both have a game system and phone in the bag. Not to mention other items we've been buying. No offense to stores trying to protect against theft, but I would rather have you shadow me around the store than risk leaving my bag with you.

Silver Snail and a bunch of other places have a similar policy, but I've never had it enforced. No Frills in our area has 'we reserve the right to inspects all bags' signs up everywhere, but I'd like to see them try. Maybe I am just a dick for having a problem with this? :(

Receipt checkers thread had me thinking about Anime Xtreme (Chinatown, north of Dundas) during Christmas. They were actually enforcing their 'leave bags at the front' policy, so my wife and I turned around a left. We both carry messenger bags, and usually both have a game system and phone in the bag. Not to mention other items we've been buying. No offense to stores trying to protect against thief, but I would rather have you shadow me around the store than risk leaving my bag with you.

Silver Snail and a bunch of other places have a similar policy, but I've never had it enforced. No Frills in our area has 'we reserve the right to inspects all bags' signs up everywhere, but I'd like to see them try. Maybe I am just a dick for having a problem with this? :(

Well, you are Evil

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Receipt checkers thread had me thinking about Anime Xtreme (Chinatown, north of Dundas) during Christmas. They were actually enforcing their 'leave bags at the front' policy, so my wife and I turned around a left. We both carry messenger bags, and usually both have a game system and phone in the bag. Not to mention other items we've been buying. No offense to stores trying to protect against theft, but I would rather have you shadow me around the store than risk leaving my bag with you.

I would have a problem with a store wanting me to leave a bag at the front while I shop but I've never cared about showing the contents of a bag when I leave. Walmart does this all the time in Scarborough. They even made me open a McDonald's bag once. :lol

Quick

Banned

I know what you mean, man. I usually don't mind leaving my bag, though.

I haven't been to Anime Xtreme since the summer, since I snapped out of my Gundam phase. The employees are usually very nice.

I tried to go to Penguin Music on boxing day and there was a dude from Black Market who was vigorously checking bags and giving out tickets to everyone coming in. I said fuck it and left since it wasn't worth the massive hassle.

Draff

Went to Toys R Us once with a messenger bag. The clerk yelled loudly at me, "Sir, please leave your purse at the counter." :\

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
That's the second game I attended that Phaneuf got injured.

Saw the Sens/Leafs game last year, where Phaneuf got cut by a skate and ended up missing a few games.

Dammit Quick, stop going and getting our captain hurt! This is obviously on you!

Tonight going to the Raptors game, another opportunity to get (one of few) victories this season! I am hyped!

Me and a friend are going to a place called Beer Bistro before the game. She chose it, anyone been there? Any good?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dammit Quick, stop going and getting our captain hurt! This is obviously on you!

Tonight going to the Raptors game, another opportunity to get (one of few) victories this season! I am hyped!

Me and a friend are going to a place called Beer Bistro before the game. She chose it, anyone been there? Any good?

Good ratings all around on places like Yelp. Never been though. Let us know how it is, so we can include it on the recommended food list if it's good.

StevieP

Banned
I would have a problem with a store wanting me to leave a bag at the front while I shop but I've never cared about showing the contents of a bag when I leave. Walmart does this all the time in Scarborough. They even made me open a McDonald's bag once. :lol

Morningside & 401, eh

whitehawk

Banned

Been there a couple times. I like it. First time I went their special was a warm beer. Interesting stuff.

Rinoa

Small business stores like Silver Snail and AnimeXtreme are hit by thefts (by people loading up big bags) constantly, that's why they enforce the rule.

If your bag has valuables, you can leave it at the counter with the AnimeXtreme staff, I think. It's just odd you brought it up here and not with them in person.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Small business stores like Silver Snail and AnimeXtreme are hit by thefts (by people loading up big bags) constantly, that's why they enforce the rule.

If your bag has valuables, you can leave it at the counter with the AnimeXtreme staff, I think. It's just odd you brought it up here and not with them in person.

Yes, but I trust them with my valuables about as much as they trust me it seems. AnimeXtreme staff is nice enough when you talk to them, but they're not exactly the most forward when it comes to helping customers. I did talk to them about it when they asked for the bag, but their policy and mine are not the same.

Silver Snail is more of a nightmare on the weekends. Countless bags behind the counter, piled on top of one another. Thankfully, they never ask for my bag. But image them handing my bag to someone else by mistake, and that person picks up a free 3DS, iPod, and whatever shopping goods I had in my bag. I'm sure they'll claim no responsibility for it.

They are, of course, privy to what they want to enforce, but I'd be open to them walking with me around the store if it made them feel better. But of course, that would require work, rather than sitting at the counter.

So, they can keep their policy and I can take my business elsewhere. Loss prevention in most stores is more of a facade to stop people that are thinking about steal, rather than actually preventing theft. If they thought it was working, they should take winter jackets too, because you can load them up. I think it's poor taste in business for the most part, and if I was a shop owner I would use every other means imaginable. /rant

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Just in case anyone at City Hall thinks sidewalk snow removal is a good idea to cut maybe they should remember that the City is legally liable for any injury resulting from a fall on uncleared sidewalks even though the by-law states the homeowner can be fined for not clearing it within 12 hours. Think they lose a lot of lawsuits now? Just imagine if they stopped clearing the snow off of sidewalks in the burbs. Then again, it might force the burbs to wake up and boot Ford at the next election.

Rinoa

Yes, but I trust them with my valuables about as much as they trust me it seems. AnimeXtreme staff is nice enough when you talk to them, but they're not exactly the most forward when it comes to helping customers. I did talk to them about it when they asked for the bag, but their policy and mine are not the same.

Silver Snail is more of a nightmare on the weekends. Countless bags behind the counter, piled on top of one another. Thankfully, they never ask for my bag. But image them handing my bag to someone else by mistake, and that person picks up a free 3DS, iPod, and whatever shopping goods I had in my bag. I'm sure they'll claim no responsibility for it.

They are, of course, privy to what they want to enforce, but I'd be open to them walking with me around the store if it made them feel better. But of course, that would require work, rather than sitting at the counter.

So, they can keep their policy and I can take my business elsewhere. Loss prevention in most stores is more of a facade to stop people that are thinking about steal, rather than actually preventing theft. If they thought it was working, they should take winter jackets too, because you can load them up. I think it's poor taste in business for the most part, and if I was a shop owner I would use every other means imaginable. /rant

There are only two staff members at AnimeXtreme I can think of as not forward when it comes to helping people. If you're a regular customer, you'd know that one of them is mute.

What other means are you imagining are better though?

While you're one of the extremely rare people who don't mind being followed, I don't see how one staff member can follow every single customer around the store.

Mind you, I don't like either policy (following, bags) and simply never shopped in places that require them to begin with.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I noticed the Star used this photo in one of their recent articles. I think it pretty much sums up most streetcar lines during rush hour. And of course after all these streetcars pass, there won't be one for 45 minutes.

z2ymZ.jpg

Stet

Banned
I noticed the Star used this photo in one of their recent articles. I think it pretty much sums up most streetcar lines during rush hour. And of course after all these streetcars pass, there won't be one for 45 minutes.

z2ymZ.jpg

I once read a statement from a TTC spokesperson about that. He said that streetcar users all hate clumping and they hate short turns, but that they can't logically hate both. Short turns are designed to prevent clumping and normalize the schedule, and clumping is an unfortunate but natural occurrence in any traffic flow.

Actually, I'd be interested in statistics about clumping on the St. Clair LRT. I imagine it's virtually nonexistent?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
St Clair LRT does not run as often as the other lines (Spadina, Queen, where you see a lot of clumping), so I'm guessing it's a rare occurrence.The right of way does no prevent clumping though, as seen on Spadina during rush hour. Bathurst really only sees clumping because they use it as a route to redirect streetcars to different houses.

It's not only streetcars that clump though, it's buses too. Dufferin, as has been discussed before, can sometimes go four, or five buses long, in a row, playing leap frog.

I know all vehicles run on a schedule (ie; 501 streetcar is scheduled to short turn at Humber and leave at 6:37pm, but arrives at 6:30pm, so they wait for 7 minutes), so I'm wondering how this manages to happen. Too few timed check points maybe. Or driver's in a hurry to reach the point where they can idle for a few minutes and relax.

There is another driver issue with it too. If a streetcar is tailing another, instead of slowing down a bit and creating separation, they go out of their way to keep up with the streetcar in front. I've seen numerous streetcars blow through lights they could have easily waited for, and had a 1-2 minute break before the next streetcar. It's just small things like that which would help.

I definitely don't think more short turns would help. The disastrous experiment a few years ago, with short turning streetcars downtown (Parliament and Shaw) was horrendous for anyone living outside of the core and didn't really appear to help clumping, or wait times even within the area.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Goddamn stupid ass purolator. Didn't even bother calling me when they dropped off my package. Now I have to rent a car to drive across town to pick it up. fuck.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Goddamn stupid ass purolator. Didn't even bother calling me when they dropped off my package. Now I have to rent a car to drive across town to pick it up. fuck.

No shipping method is safe. Every carrier will screw you in some way. :(

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
No shipping method is safe. Every carrier will screw you in some way. :(

I've never had a problem with Canada post. They always leave it with my concierge. I even specifically wrote on my shipping order to leave it with the concierge.

Top Bottom