• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

Stet

Banned
I think the worst shipping experience I ever had was when I had my passport shipped to me. They need a signature for it, and I guess the concierge was off duty, so they put a flag on my mailbox and sent me to the post office. Unfortunately, the woman at the post office would not accept expired identification which meant that I had absolutely no ID to convince her that I was allowed to pick up my new ID.

I tried explaining to her that if she'd just let me open the package, I could show her my new ID but she wasn't having any of it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Canada Post has screwed me over more than anyone, never even trying to use the buzzer, and failing to locate a package they claimed to have at their post office for a week, only to find it was accidently returned to sender.

UPS I only have an issue with because of their fees while importing. The brokerage fees are sometimes as much as the item. But I rarely deal with them. Purolator I've had similar issues with; failed to reach me to drop the package off, so have to head out to one of their depots.

I think the worst shipping experience I ever had was when I had my passport shipped to me. They need a signature for it, and I guess the concierge was off duty, so they put a flag on my mailbox and sent me to the post office. Unfortunately, the woman at the post office would not accept expired identification which meant that I had absolutely no ID to convince her that I was allowed to pick up my new ID.

I tried explaining to her that if she'd just let me open the package, I could show her my new ID but she wasn't having any of it.

This is hilarious and terrible. :(

Stet

Banned
Yeah, DHL has screwed me on brokerage too. They assured me it would be a nominal $7 fee, but didn't mention all the other charges that ended up coming out to $35 or $40.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Oh well, I guess I can do some grocery shopping when I go pick my package up. Stupid NCIX, stupid purolator. Anyways, anyone else here use Zipcar? Isn't it pretty awesome?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Oh well, I guess I can do some grocery shopping when I go pick my package up. Stupid NCIX, stupid purolator. Anyways, anyone else here use Zipcar? Isn't it pretty awesome?

Yep. We don't use Zipcar very often, but it's there for emergencies and when we do have to haul something large. Small yearly fee, lots of location downtown and one right out back of our apartment building too. Their customer service has always been strong as well, refunding me when the card with the car wouldn't work for a fill up, and responding to emails quickly.

I saw a guy that looks just like EvilMario at Sushi Couture yesterday. Well looked like how I remembered you looking from the photo on here.
Were you there or just some doppelganger?

cbox

I noticed the Star used this photo in one of their recent articles. I think it pretty much sums up most streetcar lines during rush hour. And of course after all these streetcars pass, there won't be one for 45 minutes.

z2ymZ.jpg

This problem is 100000x worse in the burbs. You can practically walk within the core, not up here :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. My wife and I were on the east end at Reliable Fish & Chips. I am sort of a generic looking type, so there are plenty of dopplegangers of me out there. :p

Wow that is about 4 blocks away from my place. Pretty decent though fries are no good. Apparently, that sushi place I told you about, Mikado, there is a really popular fish and chips joint up there...freaking line ups all the time and even at 6 pm

Edit: generic white guy A...I might recognize your voice but would recognize you in a crowd.

This problem is 100000x worse in the burbs. You can practically walk within the core, not up here :(

While we're all back to bitching about the TTC....a couple weeks back (when it was like -25 with the windchill) I waited 45 minutes for the Dufferin bus at St Clair, until I gave up and hailed a cab. Cabbie told me there was a collision at Eglinton.

Now, I get TTC alerts sent to my phone, and there was no collision alert. I knew that a bus was down in Scarborough and that there was a jumper at St Andrew, but NOTHING about my bus. Curse you, TTC. If I could afford to own a car in this city right now, I would never take the TTC again.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
While we're all back to bitching about the TTC....a couple weeks back (when it was like -25 with the windchill) I waited 45 minutes for the Dufferin bus at St Clair, until I gave up and hailed a cab. Cabbie told me there was a collision at Eglinton.

Now, I get TTC alerts sent to my phone, and there was no collision alert. I knew that a bus was down in Scarborough and that there was a jumper at St Andrew, but NOTHING about my bus. Curse you, TTC. If I could afford to own a car in this city right now, I would never take the TTC again.

The main reason is that there's no light priority put in place by the TTC because it would look like "a war on car" again. Priority would solve most of the streetcar bunching issues.

MPW

oh great i have 8am class on my first day .... wtf is this shit? do profs really like giving lecture that early in the morning?

Quick

Banned
Those are the worst. I guess you will eventually be sleeping in.

As much as I hate getting up early, I like that it means I'd be finished earlier. I remember having an 8 am class on Friday on my first year, and it was my only class. I was done by 11 am.

mf.luder

Went for some fish and chips today BUT WHERE THE FUCK IS CHIPPYS?!?!? At least I think that was its name. It was at the corner of bloor/Bathurst and now appears to be a smokies poutine.

Kunohara

oh great i have 8am class on my first day .... wtf is this shit? do profs really like giving lecture that early in the morning?

Ah school. I remember that time. I would suggest getting used to getting up early, because once you work, you'll have to get up early every day.

I've been going to work at 8am every fucking day for a decade.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wow that is about 4 blocks away from my place. Pretty decent though fries are no good. Apparently, that sushi place I told you about, Mikado, there is a really popular fish and chips joint up there...freaking line ups all the time and even at 6 pm

Edit: generic white guy A...I might recognize your voice but would recognize you in a crowd.

Yeah. I know the fries seem like they're hand cut, but I prefer them more well done and crispy. Try the coleslaw though. It's a cream base and is really fucking good. Owner is pretty decent too. You're lucky for having the Burger Shoppe and a bunch of other food places right next to you. :p

Went for some fish and chips today BUT WHERE THE FUCK IS CHIPPYS?!?!? At least I think that was its name. It was at the corner of bloor/Bathurst and now appears to be a smokies poutine.

Yes, rejoice. Now there is only one Chippy's (I think) to deal with downtown. There are a bunch of fish and chips places around you, mostly stretching down to Kensington Market, like Harbord Fish & Chips. Check out Yelp, and zoom in on your area. Reviews are generally most trust worthy than something like BlogTO, where they can be even more heavily skewed.

I was way more upset when Caz' Fish on Davenport closed. They had great fish and chips and I especially loved the jerk grouper.

ElNino

Ah school. I remember that time. I would suggest getting used to getting up early, because once you work, you'll have to get up early every day.

I've been going to work at 8am every fucking day for a decade.
Then you add kids to the mix. Sleeping in for me is if my son lets me get to 7am before waking me up. At least he knows how to use Netflix so he can watch an episode or two before forcing me to get up.

I never take my classes at university before 11, lol. My earliest class was last semester and it started at 12:30. Very rarely I don't have a choice and get stuck with a time. But I don't care. I'd rather sleep in. I know when you start working full time you have to consistently be up early, that's why I want all the sleeping in time I can get now.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Speaking of, weren't there some test runs of high schools starting later in the day? Good idea man.

There were in Toronto, and it was deemed a success.

My high schooling was in the States, but it was considered to be one of the earliest starting schools in the area. Personally, even as a kid, I loved waking up early, and being out of school by 3:30pm. Same mentality with work. When I can come in early and leave early, all the better.

cbox

Mine was 8:30 to 3:30 - feelsgoodman

I used to work from 5am to 1pm, it was perfect.

We had to get 90 for A- too... I went to school in the DPRCSSB... 95-100 was A+

Yeah in Canada a 50 is a pass, lol. But I'm not sure how that is relative to the difficulty of things being learned at a certain grade. In America it's 65 to pass right? So you'd think education would be good in that country but it's not. Or maybe that's a reason it's bad :p

There was a mandatory Friday 9am class in my MA program........the Prof hated that it started at 9am and told us all to just come at 10:00 instead as he didn't need the full 3 hours anyway...........and he was Chair of the department

ZZMitch

Yeah in Canada a 50 is a pass, lol. But I'm not sure how that is relative to the difficulty of things being learned at a certain grade. In America it's 65 to pass right? So you'd think education would be good in that country but it's not. Or maybe that's a reason it's bad :p
I went to high school in Maine and to pass you needed a 70, D was 71-77, C was 78-84, B. Was 85-92 and A was 93+

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I wouldn't have passed HS if I needed a 60 to pass because I was constantly skipping classes. My grade 12 English teacher didn't want me to fail and gave me a 50% even though I missed half the classes and barely did any work when I was there. He knew I was smart and I was just disinterested. It was his last year before retirement and he didn't want to fail anyone. :lol

I wouldn't have passed HS if I needed a 60 to pass because I was constantly skipping classes. My grade 12 English teacher didn't want me to fail and gave me a 50% even though I missed half the classes and barely did any work when I was there. He knew I was smart and I was just disinterested. It was his last year before retirement and he didn't want to fail anyone. :lol
I had a similar case with physics in highschool, I totally wasn't interested AT ALL and actually gave the teacher my drop out form to sign, but he was like just stick in the class if you want and I'll pass you no matter what. So I stuck around, never did an assignment, skipped tests, etc...still passed with what he promised. lol. That was grade 11 though, so the mark (or my overall average) didn't really matter.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I had a similar case with physics in highschool, I totally wasn't interested AT ALL and actually gave the teacher my drop out form to sign, but he was like just stick in the class if you want and I'll pass you no matter what. So I stuck around, never did an assignment, skipped tests, etc...still passed with what he promised. lol. That was grade 11 though, so the mark (or my overall average) didn't really matter.
I became so disinterested in HS that after getting 8 credit in each of my first 2 years I needed another 3 years to get my final 14 credits. Taking 5 years to finish HS was normal though since most people took OAC's even if they weren't going to University.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yo Toronto,

I suck ass at Toronto areas and geography. One of the graduate schools I applied to this year is York. I know it's out in the boondocks. It's not my first choice but I am considering it.

1) How long would my commute be from/to downtown?
2) How costly would my commute be from/to downtown?
3) What are housing prices like for a small but nice two-person apartment (1 or 2 bedroom) in the area of York (not necessarily on campus)?
4) What are housing prices like for the same sort of apartment closer to the downtown area?

Yo Toronto,

I suck ass at Toronto areas and geography. One of the graduate schools I applied to this year is York. I know it's out in the boondocks. It's not my first choice but I am considering it.

3) What are housing prices like for a small but nice two-person apartment (1 or 2 bedroom) in the area of York (not necessarily on campus)?
4) What are housing prices like for the same sort of apartment closer to the downtown area?

1) Long. At least an hour.
2) I think you could do it on one TTC fare. So $3 or whatever it is now.
3) Buy or rent? It's not the nicest/most desirable part of town.
4) At least double what they would be at York.

Don't go to York. Trust me, I'm here right now. Don't go to York.

But to actually answer your questions: 1. about 30-40 minutes to get to Union, 2. you'd probably have to get a metropass, so about $130 a month, 3. there are no nice areas in the immediate area of York, you do not want to move here, 4. irrelevant,worth it because you'll live downtown and not at York.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yo Toronto,

York isn't really in the boonies. Depending on where you live, the downsview subway isn't that far, so it's only about a 20 minute to half hour subway trip to downtown. If you're not near there then yeah it's going to take an hour at least. Actually, since the York transit has been on strike since forever, I have no idea how long that'll take now lol, but presumably it will be resolved by the time you get here.

Living in North York is fairly expensive. I'm renting my 2 bedroom condo for 1750, but it's in a prime location and it's a new building. I think you should expect at least 1300 for a two bedroom apartment. Downtown is hella expensive, I would suggest against it.

Don't go to York. Trust me, I'm here right now. Don't go to York.

But to actually answer your questions: 1. about 30-40 minutes to get to Union, 2. you'd probably have to get a metropass, so about $130 a month, 3. there are no nice areas in the immediate area of York, you do not want to move here, 4. irrelevant,worth it because you'll live downtown and not at York.
Back then, my commute from Dufferin/Steeles to downtown during rush hour is 1 hour. I expect the reverse to be the same, even if he takes the Union -> Downsview + Dedicated Bus lane to York U.
2. He may be able to get in on the Post Secondary Student Metropass, which clocks at 104.

And Stumpokapow, York isn't the boonies. IIRC, there's like 6-7 of us in Thornhill, which is like a 5 minute drive to york. as far as boonies goes, you can do much worse, like Brampton.

Draff

My friend's a junior high teacher and he says he's not allowed to fail anyone, even if they don't hand in any work throughout the year.

Top Bottom