• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

cbox

You could always go east or west of york, or even north as there are probably cheaper places to rent and you can just bus it in.

You could always go east or west of york, or even north as there are probably cheaper places to rent and you can just bus it in.
Exactly. Although North does carry the issue of York Region Transit. While their VIVA works fantastically, it's a bit more expensive, and they're still on strike.

Rinoa

While we're all back to bitching about the TTC....a couple weeks back (when it was like -25 with the windchill) I waited 45 minutes for the Dufferin bus at St Clair, until I gave up and hailed a cab. Cabbie told me there was a collision at Eglinton.

Now, I get TTC alerts sent to my phone, and there was no collision alert. I knew that a bus was down in Scarborough and that there was a jumper at St Andrew, but NOTHING about my bus. Curse you, TTC. If I could afford to own a car in this city right now, I would never take the TTC again.

I stopped having the alerts, they do nothing!

It's now all about loading nextbus.com on your phone and bookmarking the buses/stops you often use. It saved me from being extremely late on a few occassions, as the bus magically disappears off the map.

Thought this would be a good place to ask something I have been trying to find out for a while now.

How exactly should one start the process of moving to Canada/ becoming a permanent Canadian resident/ citizen?

This is something I want to do in a few years and I have been doing lil bits of research on it here and there but I have not come across a detailed story past "It took me a few years/ took me a year and a half...".

Would anyone who moved there from the US like to share their story?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Thought this would be a good place to ask something I have been trying to find out for a while now.

How exactly should one start the process of moving to Canada/ becoming a permanent Canadian resident/ citizen?

This is something I want to do in a few years and I have been doing lil bits of research on it here and there but I have not come across a detailed story past "It took me a few years/ took me a year and a half...".

EvilMario, paging EvilMario.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yo Toronto,

I suck ass at Toronto areas and geography. One of the graduate schools I applied to this year is York. I know it's out in the boondocks. It's not my first choice but I am considering it.

1) How long would my commute be from/to downtown?
2) How costly would my commute be from/to downtown?
3) What are housing prices like for a small but nice two-person apartment (1 or 2 bedroom) in the area of York (not necessarily on campus)?
4) What are housing prices like for the same sort of apartment closer to the downtown area?

Don't live around York. While the campus itself is seemingly okay, the area around York is still one of the rougher areas of the city to live.

Really, I'd recommend living around Bathurst / St Clair. There are dozens of apartment buildings in the area, and for decent prices. You're looking at $900-1,100 inclusive for a one bedroom in the area, and more $1,100 and up for a two bedroom.

The area is outside of 'the core', but carries all the aspects you'd want in a city; shopping nearby for groceries, small fruit markets, and a bunch of shops along St Clair. Not to mention you're at one of the major transit hubs in St Clair station, with the subway going north to York U (but you'll have to bus over from Downsview), and you're about three stations from Bloor St and the beginning of the downtown core. You also have access to the St Clair streetcar to go either east (Yonge St), or west (many shops along St Clair this direction). Overall, you'll probably be looking at a 40-45 minute commute from this area, with the subway and bus. Obviously the further you go toward downtown, the more that will be added to this. But even living in a place like the Annex (Spadina and Bloor) is only adding a few minutes because it's just on the subway.

If you're dying to live close to campus, prices won't improve that much, unless you're willing to live in a basement apartment
don't
, which a lot of people in the area will rent to students.

If you have the chance to come to town well in advance of moving here, I'd say make appointments with a few apartments, but generally just put in some time to look at neighborhoods you might like. Places like the Beaches, or Danforth, are probably out of range, but if you can live with an hour commute, even the Junction and High Park might be okay.

p.s.; I'm always on Dorksnet, so you can always PM me there. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I moved to Canada to live with my wife, which means I went through the process of Spousal Sponsorship. Assuming you don't have someone (spouse, relative) that can sponsor you, your process will be quite different. You'll have to immigrant, most likely, as a worker (students can temporarily for study). Workers are required to either have an offer from an employer in Canada. The employer must convince the government that the skills you bring can not be filled by a Canadian. Or, you can immigrate without a job offer, if you fit the bill for one of the occupations on the skilled worker's list. ie; you must work in a specific field of need, and have the education to back it up.

My story; when I first came to Canada, I lived with my wife for a year before evening applying. Common-law in Canada is living together for a year, so we had to achieve this first. I was basically just here for my allotted six months, and then on a visitor visa there after.

The permanent residence process is pretty simple, especially for someone from the States. You're required to undergo a physical, background checks, and disclose your entire history of work / residence. You are responsible for obtaining all these and having them sent off with your application, which is about two dozen pages long.

My application was rather quick, taking just over a year to schedule my interview. The interview is basically a sit down with an immigrant officer, asking you a few questions and then approving you. After this, you're eligible to work in Canada and receive a SIN (ie; Canadian form of Social Security card).

After this, it takes three years residence in the country (time prior to PR counts) to be able to apply for citizenship. You can, as some have, just keep renewing your PR for years and years. But it is costly. The PR process with run you at least a few thousand dollars, and renewing it takes a few hundreds every three years, or so.

Citizenship takes around another years. It's mostly just your paperwork being processed, taking the test and then after passing the test, taking the oath.

So, if you have someone to sponsor you, then the process will be mostly waiting and waiting. If you're coming as a worker, it will be long process of convincing the government that they need you, because you can do something that no other Canadian can do. Canada is a great country, and I'm very happy to be a citizen. Even if you don't immigrate, I hope you visit!

My wife moved to Canada from New York to be with me. We had been dating for 4 years and decided to get married even though we hadn't saved enough money to have the wedding yet just to speed up her moving here. We are still saving for our "official wedding" to this day even though we are already legally married.
From the time she applied until the time she got her permanent residence, it took 8 months. Not too bad.

So I think moving here for love is definitely the easiest way. Although she did get a work permit so that she could come live with me while we waited for her permanent residence to come through. Apparently her job is on some list of jobs that Americans are automatically allowed to come work in Canada as long as they have a job offer on the table. That guaranteed her the work permit but getting married definitely made the permanent residence easier and much quicker than if she would have applied through her working credentials.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Budget cuts, go.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...y-10-but-save-two-pools-in-members-wards?bn=1

“Don’t decimate our branches,” begged Councillor Sarah Doucette, a library board member not on the budget committee. She said libraries are more than just books, they also teach newcomers English and help them find jobs.

Councillor Adam Vaughan asked that the library be cut some slack because it has achieved austerity targets for 15 years while expanding services.

Libraries are the most cherished service in Toronto, he said, adding that Mayor Rob Ford’s proposed budget is “a radical agenda to shut down services at any cost.”

Councillor Mike Del Grande, the budget chief, said “creep” in the role of libraries sees them competing with other agencies offering services such as adult literacy education, and he was only hearing cries of “woe is me, woe is me, woe is me.”

Mike Del Grande is a piece of work. Yeah, if those immigrants want to learn English and find jobs, they can just pay for the service from an agency. Good city planning in the works here. But of course, the thought process in Ford Camp is libraries are taking up valuable land that a Tim Horton's could be using!

StevieP

Banned
Budget cuts, go.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...y-10-but-save-two-pools-in-members-wards?bn=1

Mike Del Grande is a piece of work. Yeah, if those immigrants want to learn English and find jobs, they can just pay for the service from an agency. Good city planning in the works here. But of course, the thought process in Ford Camp is libraries are taking up valuable land that a Tim Horton's could be using!

Maybe I'm off base here, but ...

Hard C Conservative = short term thinking? That would explain stuff like the zoo and selling city parking, etc etc

I just found out I will be in New York for the week that the Toronto FC vs LA Galaxy Champions League match is being played at the Rogers Centre.
That is a real bummer as I was really looking forward to it.
Anyone here going? They think there is gonna be a huge crowd based on the pre-sale today. BMO Field only holds 22,000 so if they get like 45,000 out to it (or even 35,000 for that matter) then it should be a pretty special event.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Hard C Conservative = short term thinking? That would explain stuff like the zoo and selling city parking, etc etc

Maybe, but it's just lack of foresight in general. I've seen all forms of government panic and lose control, making decisions that will 'save themselves' in the short term and hurt the people in the long term. Ford's more conservative thinking is, services the city provides should not be A) free, and / or B) services should be left to the private sector.

I just found out I will be in New York for the week that the Toronto FC vs LA Galaxy Champions League match is being played at the Rogers Centre.
Anyone here going? They think there is gonna be a huge crowd based on the pre-sale today. BMO Field only holds 22,000 so if they get like 45,000 out to it (or even 35,000 for that matter) then it should be a pretty special event.

I've heard great things about the crowd at BMO Field, and the field itself always looks nice the few times I've gone by to sneak a peak and from photos online. I'll have to end up going to a game eventually!

I moved to Canada to live with my wife, which means I went through the process of Spousal Sponsorship. Assuming you don't have someone (spouse, relative) that can sponsor you, your process will be quite different. You'll have to immigrant, most likely, as a worker (students can temporarily for study). Workers are required to either have an offer from an employer in Canada. The employer must convince the government that the skills you bring can not be filled by a Canadian. Or, you can immigrate without a job offer, if you fit the bill for one of the occupations on the skilled worker's list. ie; you must work in a specific field of need, and have the education to back it up.

My story; when I first came to Canada, I lived with my wife for a year before evening applying. Common-law in Canada is living together for a year, so we had to achieve this first. I was basically just here for my allotted six months, and then on a visitor visa there after.

The permanent residence process is pretty simple, especially for someone from the States. You're required to undergo a physical, background checks, and disclose your entire history of work / residence. You are responsible for obtaining all these and having them sent off with your application, which is about two dozen pages long.

My application was rather quick, taking just over a year to schedule my interview. The interview is basically a sit down with an immigrant officer, asking you a few questions and then approving you. After this, you're eligible to work in Canada and receive a SIN (ie; Canadian form of Social Security card).

After this, it takes three years residence in the country (time prior to PR counts) to be able to apply for citizenship. You can, as some have, just keep renewing your PR for years and years. But it is costly. The PR process with run you at least a few thousand dollars, and renewing it takes a few hundreds every three years, or so.

Citizenship takes around another years. It's mostly just your paperwork being processed, taking the test and then after passing the test, taking the oath.

So, if you have someone to sponsor you, then the process will be mostly waiting and waiting. If you're coming as a worker, it will be long process of convincing the government that they need you, because you can do something that no other Canadian can do. Canada is a great country, and I'm very happy to be a citizen. Even if you don't immigrate, I hope you visit!

My wife moved to Canada from New York to be with me. We had been dating for 4 years and decided to get married even though we hadn't saved enough money to have the wedding yet just to speed up her moving here. We are still saving for our "official wedding" to this day even though we are already legally married.
From the time she applied until the time she got her permanent residence, it took 8 months. Not too bad.

So I think moving here for love is definitely the easiest way. Although she did get a work permit so that she could come live with me while we waited for her permanent residence to come through. Apparently her job is on some list of jobs that Americans are automatically allowed to come work in Canada as long as they have a job offer on the table. That guaranteed her the work permit but getting married definitely made the permanent residence easier and much quicker than if she would have applied through her working credentials.

Thanks for the info!

Is there another list of jobs that I can look at?
I'm trying to get into the animation field and the only professional animator I know who moved over there from the US first worked here in Chicago at High Voltage, did animation mentor while working there and moved to Cal to work at Rhythm and Hues after finishing animation Mentor.
The way he got over there was simply because rhythm and hues opened up a Canadian studio and wanted to send over some talent to get things running.

Guess the best way to get there for me would be to land some kind of job offer in the future after I get things rolling over here. So I guess it's just the same thing I was planning on doing in the first place. :]

I think I know the answer to this one, but can someone explain about who owns the TTC and what they can/cannot do? My understanding is that it's just "publicly funded", but who's got bigger hand in it? Province? City?

And with that, why can't it operate more like how actual businesses is run? I'm not suggesting totally tipping it in favour of a private sector like business (which would nuke out 90+% of all service routes), but why does it draw the line in land usage?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I think I know the answer to this one, but can someone explain about who owns the TTC and what they can/cannot do? My understanding is that it's just "publicly funded", but who's got bigger hand in it? Province? City?

And with that, why can't it operate more like how actual businesses is run? I'm not suggesting totally tipping it in favour of a private sector like business (which would nuke out 90+% of all service routes), but why does it draw the line in land usage?

The City of Toronto owns the TTC, and is by far the biggest investor at any level of government. The Province does not offer much in the way of funding compared to their previous levels and McGuinty has never wanted to commit heavily to the TTC (mostly claiming Provincial debt made it impossible). Previously from the 1970s to 1997, the Province funded half the operating cost of the TTC. Fares over about 85% of the cost of operating now.

It's the largest transit system in North America that doesn't receive funding from the State / Province level. TTC has a lot of issues internally, but it is true when they complain about lack of funding and the inability to improve aspects of their service because of it (stations falling apart, ancient vehicles, lack of automation). The Province did give us a nice chunk of chain for Transit City (still not as good as long term funding), but that's all up in the air now (although Ford's dream is to divert it to the Sheppard extension). The Province, specifically the Liberals, probably don't see funding the TTC has a beneficial; they take for granted that Toronto is a Liberal stronghold, and spending more money on Toronto only hurts their overall bottom line. It's a shame.

Holmes

Yo Toronto,

I suck ass at Toronto areas and geography. One of the graduate schools I applied to this year is York. I know it's out in the boondocks. It's not my first choice but I am considering it.

1) How long would my commute be from/to downtown?
2) How costly would my commute be from/to downtown?
3) What are housing prices like for a small but nice two-person apartment (1 or 2 bedroom) in the area of York (not necessarily on campus)?
4) What are housing prices like for the same sort of apartment closer to the downtown area?
I go to York, so I can answer some of these questions. It takes a good half hour to get from the campus to downtown. Of course, it depends on the TTC service, which usually ranges from pure shit to mediocre on good days. From the campus, you go on the 196A to Downsview, then take the subway to wherever you wanna go. You just pay the fare once. And you can get a transfer from the bus driver if you want, too.

I live on campus, which is nice. Some areas off campus are ok, but they're the minority. Off campus is not a nice place to live, that's why I've always lived here. I usually go downtown to hang out (and it's not a hassle getting there). There's graduate/mature student apartments on campus that range from $700-$800/month, and they have bachelor and single room styles, furnished or unfurnished.

Hieberrr

I was able to grab 4 tickets just an hour or so ago :D I am so hyped! My body is ready!Apparently most, if not all, the $20 dollar tickets have been sold. My tickets were $19 each for section 117. It took me so long to get those tickets!

The City of Toronto owns the TTC, and is by far the biggest investor at any level of government. The Province does not offer much in the way of funding compared to their previous levels and McGuinty has never wanted to commit heavily to the TTC (mostly claiming Provincial debt made it impossible). Previously from the 1970s to 1997, the Province funded half the operating cost of the TTC. Fares over about 85% of the cost of operating now.

It's the largest transit system in North America that doesn't receive funding from the State / Province level. TTC has a lot of issues internally, but it is true when they complain about lack of funding and the inability to improve aspects of their service because of it (stations falling apart, ancient vehicles, lack of automation). The Province did give us a nice chunk of chain for Transit City (still not as good as long term funding), but that's all up in the air now (although Ford's dream is to divert it to the Sheppard extension). The Province, specifically the Liberals, probably don't see funding the TTC has a beneficial; they take for granted that Toronto is a Liberal stronghold, and spending more money on Toronto only hurts their overall bottom line. It's a shame.
Interesting. Then is there any reason why TTC cannot develop on it's own property for other uses? The Shepherd Line, for example, didn't do a whole lot other than finishing off Lastman's pet project, but did kickstart a lot of condo development. To me, that's basically public money funding private investment that no one other than condo developers saw returns on. Is there any logistical reasoning preventing the TTC from doing that themselves and funding themselves through such means?

Stet

Banned
Budget cuts, go.

"Piece of work" is kinder than I'd be. Saying that people protesting budget cuts are crying "woe is me, woe is me" is disgusting.

Politics is, by necessity, a short-term game. What gets you re-elected is often bad policy, and good policy rarely gets you re-elected.

So while these conservatives may be short-sighted, it's hardly a problem unique to conservatism (or Conservatism).

Blind allegiance to an ideology - in this case, that government is bad and should never have its nose in any public good - is probably more dangerous, and what is at work here.

Rinoa

Budget cuts, go.

Seeing this happen to Toronto, which used to be the one of the ideal destinations for immigrants, makes me sick to my stomach. My family has sponsored dozens of relatives and public libraries had a major role in their education and getting them situated.

Any GO users out there, take note. I got this email today:

Today, the Metrolinx Board of Directors approved a GO Transit fare increase, the first in almost two years, which will take effect on February 18, 2012.

The fare increase will help us meet the growing demand for GO services by providing more parking spaces, improving service reliability, ensuring our facilities and equipment are well-maintained, and keeping our riders in the know with even better communications.

As of February 18, the cost of an adult single-ride ticket will increase incrementally as follows:
30 cent increase on current fares between $4.20 and $5.50;
35 cent increase on current fares between $5.51 and $7.00; and
40 cent increase on current fares greater than $7.00.

All other GO fare categories will also be affected by this increase accordingly. Please visit gotransit.com for more information.

Stock up on your 10-rides now!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
My god! Biggest city in Canada and the only candidates we had were all shit and we picked the biggest one.

I hated Miller and his sack lathering he gave the unions but are we really that hard up for good mayoral candidates? What am I talking about...we voted in megalomaniac mel...

Zzoram

My god! Biggest city in Canada and the only candidates we had were all shit and we picked the biggest one.

I hated Miller and his sack lathering he gave the unions but are we really that hard up for good mayoral candidates? What am I talking about...we voted in megalomaniac mel...

How about Toronto elect a non-alcoholic mayor next time?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Thanks for the info!

Is there another list of jobs that I can look at?
I'm trying to get into the animation field and the only professional animator I know who moved over there from the US first worked here in Chicago at High Voltage, did animation mentor while working there and moved to Cal to work at Rhythm and Hues after finishing animation Mentor.
The way he got over there was simply because rhythm and hues opened up a Canadian studio and wanted to send over some talent to get things running.

Guess the best way to get there for me would be to land some kind of job offer in the future after I get things rolling over here. So I guess it's just the same thing I was planning on doing in the first place. :]

Hey I'm an animator in Toronto. :p

OMG

mgpfV.png

It'll probably switch to rain or nothing in the next couple of days :(

Rinoa

I bought this mag for my older brother, has a lot of good interviews on lesser known but cult hit titles (like my fave Guardian Heroes). But dammit UK mags cost nearly $30 dollars! Where are Torontonians supposed to buy them?

397267_10150604296442652_508032651_11040089_571270161_n.jpg

Quick

Banned
I bought this mag for my older brother, has a lot of good interviews on lesser known but cult hit titles (like my fave Guardian Heroes). But dammit UK mags cost nearly $30 dollars! Where are Torontonians supposed to buy them?

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/397267_10150604296442652_508032651_11040089_571270161_n.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

[quote="firehawk12, post: 34147114"]Chapters or subscribe.

Or just read them at Chapters, since that's what most people do![/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. The downtown stores are probably the ones that carry the most compared to other Chapters/Coles/Indigo stores around the GTA.

Thankfully for me, the Doctor Who Magazine aren't obscenely expensive.

Rinoa

I work at Chapters/Indigo home office, it was still ~25$ with my employee discount. There has to be a better option.

ZZMitch

The general seating sales for the the TFC game at Rogers center will be on the 13th right?

I have never been to a soccer match before but would like to go to one!

Whoever is looking for a place and goes to York....

I know plenty of people that live in the York Village or in the apartments/condos at Finch and Sentinel and they've never had anything bad happen to them...........or you can try close to Dufferin and Steeles, or Bathurst and Steeles, or whatever

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I work at Chapters/Indigo home office, it was still ~25$ with my employee discount. There has to be a better option.
Look into subscribing. When I still got Edge, subscribing ended up being much cheaper.

Actually, speaking of which, is Goodwill a good place to drop off old magazines and (off tv recorded) VHS tapes? These things are practically useless, but I can see some wacky person wanting old Edge and EGM magazines or VHS tapes. It just seems like a waste to just toss them, but they're taking up a ton of space at my parents' place.

I know plenty of people that live in the York Village or in the apartments/condos at Finch and Sentinel and they've never had anything bad happen to them...........or you can try close to Dufferin and Steeles, or Bathurst and Steeles, or whatever

My buddy owns two townhouses on Sentinel and rents out the rooms. He's never had any problems, nor have I and I've been there many times very late at night, like 3AM.

My buddy owns two townhouses on Sentinel and rents out the rooms. He's never had any problems, nor have I and I've been there many times very late at night, like 3AM.

Just like, don't go walking around by yourself in the dark if you are a girl............

But that can be said about most areas around schools

When I was living in Waterloo there were a few incidents between UW and WLU

Hey I'm an animator in Toronto. :p

Gaf is awesome, I'm always amazed at all the different people here. :]

How is the 3D animation industry there? From what I read it's listed alongside places like California as being one of the most active areas for animation in NA.

That's part of my problem right now, there's simply not many 3D animation jobs to be had in Chicago (there use to be ... but halfway through my time in school most all of the Game Companies that the school sent students to closed down. Only work I have gotten here since finishing school is all freelance art :/).

Would be great if you could critique some of my work! I don't know many people in the field butI love getting feedback from professionals :)

Divvy

Gaf is awesome, I'm always amazed at all the different people here. :]

How is the 3D animation industry there? From what I read it's listed alongside places like California as being one of the most active areas for animation in NA.

That's part of my problem right now, there's simply not many 3D animation jobs to be had in Chicago (there use to be ... but halfway through my time in school most all of the Game Companies that the school sent students to closed down. Only work I have gotten here since finishing school is all freelance art :/).

Would be great if you could critique some of my work! I don't know many people in the field butI love getting feedback from professionals :)

I actually work for a studio in Ottawa, but I work remotely from my home in Toronto.

The job market in Toronto is pretty competitive. One of the biggest animation schools is right outside of Toronto and they pump out tons of animators every year. Though most of them are 2D animators. There are a few big studios that you should look at, mainly Nelvana and Starz.

I'm more of a 2D animator, but I can take a look at your portfolio if you'd like. The principles are the same.

Quick

Banned

Didn't even know until recently that Chapters employees got discounts on magazines. I got a Plum card specifically for when I buy magazines.

I actually work for a studio in Ottawa, but I work remotely from my home in Toronto.

The job market in Toronto is pretty competitive. One of the biggest animation schools is right outside of Toronto and they pump out tons of animators every year. Though most of them are 2D animators. There are a few big studios that you should look at, mainly Nelvana and Starz.

I'm more of a 2D animator, but I can take a look at your portfolio if you'd like. The principles are the same.

Thanks for the info and insight!

I'll send you some of the stuff I'm working on when I wake up :]

Rinoa

I can only think of cases like these when I think of York U area now:
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...l-hearing-120105/20120105/?hub=TorontoNewHome

When I went to York I distinctly remember never feeling safe. There are so many open areas, not much lighting at night and no feeling of security or monitored grounds. There were so many places that anyone who isn't a student can simply come and go. While I was there, news of muggings or assaults were like a monthly thing.

It's different if you're a woman but still.

Didn't even know until recently that Chapters employees got discounts on magazines. I got a Plum card specifically for when I buy magazines.

I have a plum account but since I don't have a card I haven't been getting my points, and I buy so much... The discount is very tiny, like 5%.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
And really given the chance to live downtown in one of the many neighborhoods where you can walk to everything, or living on Steeles, where it is very much suburbia, I'll take the 45 minute commute.

I am sort of a generic looking type, so there are plenty of dopplegangers of me out there. :p

You are lucky. I'm weird looking (or distinct looking. whatever you prefer) so people always recognize me. So people I didn't like back in high school spot me every time! haha

Divvy

He could actually live in my area, Yonge and Finch. Pretty downtown-like, and a trip downtown is just a quick subway down. Going to York is just taking a bus or two west along finch. Kind of expensive though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Yonge and Finch is pretty good for a far out area. I was there the other day. You guys are stealing all the good Korean shops from my area though!! (Bloor and Christie) ;)

I haven't been up in the area in years, but it always seemed like North York Centre was developing into a nice area with its own core.

Oh yeah! Before I forget, I overheard the funniest thing said by an American tourist when I was at a bar the other night. He was saying that Toronto was totally different than he was picturing because he thought Canada only had white people living in it.

My wife accidentally busted out laughing when he said it but I don't think he realized she was laughing at what he had said.

Divvy

I haven't been up in the area in years, but it always seemed like North York Centre was developing into a nice area with its own core.

It's really nice now. They're smashing a lot of the run down shops and putting up new ones. Empress Walk is pretty convenient too. It's also good to be first on the subway in the mornings!

Yonge and Finch is pretty good for a far out area. I was there the other day. You guys are stealing all the good Korean shops from my area though!! (Bloor and Christie) ;)

Haha yeah, there's more korean restaurants here than I could ever try.

daemonic

Banned

I'm around there too.. starting to be a bit overkill with all the Korean and Persian restaurants. I love the food, but a little more diversity would be nice. At least they stay open late though.. nothing like pork bone soup at 2am on a cold night.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Is this the right place to ask this? What's the job market like in SW Ontario? My wife & I are going to finally get our stuff together so I can get my PR. We'd like to move to the Guelph/KW area, but finding work is going to be important. I've worked as a vendor at a very large software company for the last 5½ years in Operations, but I don't have a degree. I hope I'm not completely hosed trying to find work.

Top Bottom