• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
KW is definitely tech central, and there are plenty of companies in the area. Maybe someone else can go into more details on the market.

I will say that companies can be very iffy, or put off about hiring people without Canadian experience, even if you DO have a degree.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Well I have international experience in my current role, I kind of hope that will help. I have worked with Canadians!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I haven't been up in the area in years, but it always seemed like North York Centre was developing into a nice area with its own core.

Definitely is in the next 3-5 years.

I work in the North York Civic Centre, right across the street Menkes is putting up a condo, a block north is another condo or two being set up. The Civic Centre kicked out a lot of the terrible shops in here and are planning to make a brand new food court by winter 2012.

I've heard rumours too that some of the shops outside on Yonge may get closed down as well for more "upscale" shops to go along with what Menkes and the other condo builders are planning to do with the area.

edit: And I missed Divvy explaining all of this!

StevieP

Banned
KW is definitely tech central, and there are plenty of companies in the area. Maybe someone else can go into more details on the market.

I will say that companies can be very iffy, or put off about hiring people without Canadian experience, even if you DO have a degree.

KW is going to have a large suction of jobs/talent cut out of the area in the next half decade.

Rinoa

I'm not huge on Korean restaurants, and some of my friends unfortunately really like the dive-ish ones along Bloor/Christie that attract college kids. You know, the ones where it's like either 8 beers or 1 soju+a huge amount of no flavor food for megacheap prices.

I have a friend that lives at Bathurst and St Clair and another friend who lives at Yonge and Finch and friends that live around York

The only one that has ever complained about feeling unsafe is the one at Bathurst and St Clair

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I have a friend that lives at Bathurst and St Clair and another friend who lives at Yonge and Finch and friends that live around York

The only one that has ever complained about feeling unsafe is the one at Bathurst and St Clair

Never had an issue with the area. Oakwood and Vaughan, an intersection I lived at for a couple of years, up Vaughan Rd about 1km away is very sketchy. But really, Bathurst and St Clair, thanks to being near Cedarvale Ravine, has a bunch of high end houses around the parks. A lot of older apartment buildings around the subway, and a few other parks around. Not sure how someone would feel unsafe. Maybe they're afraid of kids and dogs? :/

Rinoa

Makes sense, us downtown folk are used to having more people aroudn and stuff going on.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
oEcF5.png

If anyone is looking for a work space geared toward software development, programming (geared toward gaming somethwat) downtown, Bento Miso is having an open house on Jan 19th at 6:30pm. My wife had the chance to check it out last week with one of her work shops and enjoyed it. I might attend the open house to check it out too, but we'll see! They're offering $100/month for the shared cooperative space. It's on Richmond Street, just across from Trinity Bellwoods park.

For more info:

Bento Miso

And the open house: http://bentobox.net/blog/18/28-10-2011/Bento-Miso-Open-House

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
oEcF5.png

If anyone is looking for a work space geared toward software development, programming (geared toward gaming somethwat) downtown, Bento Miso is having an open house on Jan 19th at 6:30pm. My wife had the chance to check it out last week with one of her work shops and enjoyed it. I might attend the open house to check it out too, but we'll see! They're offering $100/month for the shared cooperative space. It's on Richmond Street, just across from Trinity Bellwoods park.

For more info:

Bento Miso

And the open house: http://bentobox.net/blog/18/28-10-2011/Bento-Miso-Open-House

Pretty interesting....and does your wife work in the gaming field too? Maybe she was/is Vader?! Would explain the choking picture...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Pretty interesting....and does your wife work in the gaming field too? Maybe she was/is Vader?! Would explain the choking picture...

She has worked in the industry, but only as a QA (guess who got her that job :p). She does some of her own programming and side projects though. More than I do in the actual 'gaming industry' these days.

Uh, what? I live in that area too, and I must say: Unsafe in Forest Hill? I could see Oakwood, but not St. Clair W.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Uh, what? I live in that area too, and I must say: Unsafe in Forest Hill? I could see Oakwood, but not St. Clair W.

Definitely pushing over west toward the No Frills it's not as gentrified (as the foot of Forest Hill), but even there, I don't think it carries an unsafe feeling unless you're uncomfortable with cities in general.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

soultron

Banned
oEcF5.png

For more info:

Bento Miso

That's actually really cool. I wish I lived in TO so I could take advantage of it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Wasn't posted?

Toronto mayor and brother to publicly lose weight

600_rob_ford_local_416_120111.jpg

Perhaps we now understand Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's aversion to gravy at city hall.

The mayor – who once described himself as "300 pounds of fun" – is set to launch a weight loss campaign next week.

He and his brother and fellow council-member Doug Ford will hold public weigh-ins with an aim on losing weight and raising money for charity.

Doug Ford told a local radio station Newstalk 1010 on Tuesday that he wants to get the entire city involved, and expects public pressure will keep them on target.

During his time in office, former mayor David Miller lost 50 pounds through regular workout and by cutting out junk food.
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...eight-loss-120111/20120111?hub=TorontoNewHome

Any bets as to how long they go?

Stet

Banned
When your plan consists of cocaine, heroin and alcohol-induced vomiting, I'd say you have a pretty good chance.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Whatever they lose during the awareness campaign, they'll have a 20lb net gain by the year's end.

Sadly, I can't join the weight loss fun, because I have enough trouble keeping weight on. :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I thought it was funny that Doug is going to cut out chocolate milk and Rob will stop eating ice cream. Yeah, that's their problems. :lol

Roto13

Three hundred pounds? Maybe when he was 14.

Yeah, I'm calling the mayor a fatty despite being a fatty myself. Because fuck that guy, that's why.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
You'd think they'd lose weight considering the net amount of shit that comes out of their mouths.

Dyno

A lunch time skate at Nathan Phillips Square followed by cheeseburger and fries from the lunch trucks parked on Queen. Great day to be in Toronto!

And I'm going to lose weight too. Yeah.

Las Vegas

Neo Member
Asking this for a mate, responses / help would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, here’s the thing. Basically, I want to study abroad for a semester, and I really want to go to Canada. My school gave me three choices: Otawa, Montreal and Toronto. Because I don’t want to go to a mainly French speaking area, Montreal is out of the question. This leaves me with two options: Ottawa and Toronto.

According to some people I spoke to, Ottawa is pretty boring and Toronto is the shit. I have been lurking in this thread ever since and basically came to the conclusion that I indeed want to go to Toronto.

However, the college my school has an exchange student program with, is Ryerson. Scrolling through this thread, I saw the name a few times… and the school comes off as one of the worst schools in Toronto.

Do you guys still recommend going to Toronto, even though I would have to go to Ryerson? Or do you think Ottawa is a better choice (Carleton University)? The point is, I think I’m doing this more for the experience of studying abroad and meeting people than actually learning a lot. However, if Ryerson really is that bad, I might want to choose a different country.

Azih

Definitely is in the next 3-5 years.

I work in the North York Civic Centre, right across the street Menkes is putting up a condo, a block north is another condo or two being set up. The Civic Centre kicked out a lot of the terrible shops in here and are planning to make a brand new food court by winter 2012.

I've heard rumours too that some of the shops outside on Yonge may get closed down as well for more "upscale" shops to go along with what Menkes and the other condo builders are planning to do with the area.

edit: And I missed Divvy explaining all of this!

Hell, even the useless triangle lot outside of the Sheppard Subway has a building going up on it.

Stet

Banned
Ok, here’s the thing. Basically, I want to study abroad for a semester, and I really want to go to Canada. My school gave me three choices: Otawa, Montreal and Toronto. Because I don’t want to go to a mainly French speaking area, Montreal is out of the question. This leaves me with two options: Ottawa and Toronto.

According to some people I spoke to, Ottawa is pretty boring and Toronto is the shit. I have been lurking in this thread ever since and basically came to the conclusion that I indeed want to go to Toronto.

However, the college my school has an exchange student program with, is Ryerson. Scrolling through this thread, I saw the name a few times… and the school comes off as one of the worst schools in Toronto.

Do you guys still recommend going to Toronto, even though I would have to go to Ryerson? Or do you think Ottawa is a better choice (Carleton University)? The point is, I think I’m doing this more for the experience of studying abroad and meeting people than actually learning a lot. However, if Ryerson really is that bad, I might want to choose a different country.

Montreal isn't nearly as French speaking as a lot of people think.

Divvy

You need to tell us what program you're studying. Ryerson is not even close to being the shittest school in Toronto. Shittest university maybe, but there's only three and it's got its strengths. What country are you coming from by the way?

Azih

Ryerson is just fine (and that's coming from a UofT grad) and it's right downtown. What are you studying though?

Edit: Damn you Divv why you gotta be stealing the limelight from everyone!?

Dyno

Ryerson has a lot going for it. I have not heard that they are a bad school, rather I've heard great things about their tech and engineering courses. They've undergone a huge construction boom so a lot of their properties are new or newly restored. Gould St. is their main strip and it has been converted to pedestrian only, giving the area a very cool vibe. Also, Ryerson is right smack downtown, just a few minutes from Dundas subway station and the Eaton Centre. It's a great neighbourhood packed with food, shopping, and other neat places.

I think you will have a blast.

Las Vegas

Neo Member
You need to tell us what program you're studying. Ryerson is not even close to being the shittest school in Toronto. Shittest university maybe, but there's only three and it's got its strengths. What country are you coming from by the way?

At the moment I’m studying Journalism in the Netherlands.

To clarify things: it’s called a ‘Hogeschool’ which is officially not a Dutch University, but one grade lower than that. However, I have been to Dutch universities but quit because the subject I was majoring in didn’t excite me enough. Since Journalism is only given at these ‘Hogeschools’ (don’t ask me why), I had to go this way.

The fact that Ryerson is downtown is indeed a big issue for me. That is one of the reasons I don’t want to go to the US: all of the US Universities offered are basically college towns, which is fine by itself, but not something I want to do. (I want to go to an English-speaking country).

(Also, the guy who is posting this is a friend of mine, I’ve been a longtime GAF-lurker. )

Divvy

At the moment I’m studying Journalism in the Netherlands.

To clarify things: it’s called a ‘Hogeschool’ which is officially not a Dutch University, but one grade lower than that. However, I have been to Dutch universities but quit because the subject I was majoring in didn’t excite me enough. Since Journalism is only given at these ‘Hogeschools’ (don’t ask me why), I had to go this way.

The fact that Ryerson is downtown is indeed a big issue for me. That is one of the reasons I don’t want to go to the US: all of the US Universities offered are basically college towns, which is fine by itself, but not something I want to do. (I want to go to an English-speaking country).

(Also, the guy who is posting this is a friend of mine, I’ve been a longtime GAF-lurker. )

*smacks hand on forehead* If you're doing journalism, Ryerson is the school you WANT to go to, at least in Toronto. Yeah this seems like the obvious choice to me. It's located in the primest of prime locations for college fun times. Also, if you're not from a cold climate, then you are absolutely going to hate Ottawa and Montreal winters.

daemonic

Banned
I've heard great things about the journalism program at Ryerson, apparently it's one of the best. But that may have changed, I haven't been keeping up to speed so someone else may want to chime in. Location wise, as everyone's mentioned, Ryerson is central and close to the subway, great shopping, restaurants, etc. They also seem to be expanding the campus and renovating significantly, which bodes well for the school.

Top Bottom