• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT2|

cbox

That's absolutely terrifying.

Also, I see the terrorizing of Rob Ford only getting worse as he screws over more people.

Never, ever mess with streetcars. I imagine they weigh something like 20 cars. In a battle of you vs them, they will win every single time.

Needless to say, I've seen people dash right in front of them many times in Chinatown.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Never, ever mess with streetcars. I imagine they weigh something like 20 cars. In a battle of you vs them, they will win every single time.

Needless to say, I've seen people dash right in front of them many times in Chinatown.
Spadina sucks because sometimes you want to cross to get to the markets on either side (because they'll constantly price war each other), but it's a pain in the ass to go to Dundas just to do it.

Spadina sucks because sometimes you want to cross to get to the markets on either side (because they'll constantly price war each other), but it's a pain in the ass to go to Dundas just to do it.

Two comments:

1) Wait for the streetcar to pass. I'm sure you can wait 5 seconds.

2) Of all the intersections in the city that NEED a scramble crossing, I think Dundas and Spadina is the most pedestrian heavy.

cbox

You're pretty much getting hit by a train.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Two comments:

1) Wait for the streetcar to pass. I'm sure you can wait 5 seconds.

2) Of all the intersections in the city that NEED a scramble crossing, I think Dundas and Spadina is the most pedestrian heavy.

(Not racist because I'm Chinese)
Chinese people man... Chinese people.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You guys think Spadina and Dundas is bad, but it's nothing compared to the wharf in San Francisco. It might take a car an hour to move a quarter mile because people are just walking all over the street, even when they don't have the right of away.

But back to Spadina and Dundas; why is there no scramble for this intersection, when less busy places like Bay and Bloor have it? I guess Spadina being so wide is the issue, but it seems like it would actually be used. When the scramble first hit Yonge and Dundas, it took months for people to figure out what to do. Some are still really timid and would rather cross in the 'safe confines' of the cross walks.

I wonder whatever happened to the 'study on the scramble intersections' in the city. Ford was saying they were causing massive congestion about the time he was ripping up the Jarvis Bicycle lanes.

Rinoa

The jaywalking on spadina is fairly out of control, elderly pedestrians test their luck and die on a regular basis just to "save a few minutes". I've been yelling at my parents to stop with the jaywalking whenever I see them doing it, because at their age they can't run/move "faster" to dodge cars. Their walking speed is as fast as they can go, and it's really risky.

But back to Spadina and Dundas; why is there no scramble for this intersection, when less busy places like Bay and Bloor have it? I guess Spadina being so wide is the issue, but it seems like it would actually be used. When the scramble first hit Yonge and Dundas, it took months for people to figure out what to do. Some are still really timid and would rather cross in the 'safe confines' of the cross walks.

I wonder whatever happened to the 'study on the scramble intersections' in the city. Ford was saying they were causing massive congestion about the time he was ripping up the Jarvis Bicycle lanes.

Well, in my opinion they've improved things. Downtown should be optimized for pedestrians. If you're driving downtown, you're just asking for delays. (I drive down there only when I have to.)

The other place that REALLY needs a scramble is Queen and Spadina. But maybe the network of streetcar tracks are considered a hazard for diagonal crossing.

So, the guy who was arrested at Rob Ford's house this morning was his sister's ex-boyfriend.

Is this the mayor of one of the biggest cities on the continent, or is this just a family of hillbillies?

How difficult is it to get a job in T.O.? I'm not asking about anything fancy, just a job to make ends meet while searching for a bigger "career" job.

I'm looking to move to the city, but i've had little luck applying from the outside and I hear chances are better if you live in the city. Problem is, i'm afraid to gamble on moving without having a job secured.

How do people do this, basically save a shit ton of money?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
How difficult is it to get a job in T.O.? I'm not asking about anything fancy, just a job to make ends meet while searching for a bigger "career" job.

I'm looking to move to the city, but i've had little luck applying from the outside and I hear chances are better if you live in the city. Problem is, i'm afraid to gamble on moving without having a job secured.

How do people do this, basically save a shit ton of money?

Don't move to the city if you don't have a job. It's that simple right now, unless you are willing to make 'ends meet' with a $650/month basement apartment in north Toronto, while working a retail job for minimum, or slightly above.

Remember, you won't even be able to find a place to rent from most property management companies if you don't have some sort of employment. But yes, you can make it by in the city making around minimum if you really want to give it a try.

If you have qualifications, companies will still listen if you're from outside the area. Apply, apply, apply. You'll only hear back on a small percentage of inquires, so send out a bunch. And follow up a week later to let them know you're interested.

As has been noted, a few of our members who have lived in the city for a long while (and myself included) have complained about how tough it can be to find a job in the city, even when you're experienced, qualified, and living here.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
It's not that there aren't jobs available, there are a lot. It's just that there's also a lot of people and competition is high.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
6XbMj.jpg

Box house is on the market, for the price of a lower end bungalow.

Not sure I could live there, but it'd be interesting to try. I think they had it listed on craigslist a few years ago as a rental.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I totally forgot that Toronto is wasting money on the Pan Am games. Funny enough, most of the sports facilities being built seem to be outside of Toronto-proper (Hamilton's new stadium, for one).

Zzoram

smh, yeah. Never heard anything bad about Ryserson at all.

I haven't heard much about Ryerson, period. Care to fill me in?

York though, I know they have by far the most strikes of any university, and I've known plenty of people who got screwed because of those strikes causing their semesters to shift so that they couldn't do summer jobs or summer work terms.

Azih

I totally forgot that Toronto is wasting money on the Pan Am games. Funny enough, most of the sports facilities being built seem to be outside of Toronto-proper (Hamilton's new stadium, for one).

True enough but it seems like big events like these are the only way to get higher levels of government to spend some capital infrastructure crash.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
True enough but it seems like big events like these are the only way to get higher levels of government to spend some capital infrastructure crash.
I wonder if they expect people to use the Go Trains to get around to the various events or if all the "Hamilton" based athletes are screwed and have to stay there for the week that they're here. lol

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I thought Hamilton was having issues with some of their stadium renovations and securing money for the projects? But I'm too lazy to look up and confirm anything about the games.

Rinoa

It's a nice bike ride though if you live downtown and I do believe they run a bus down to the beach.

I tend to be going that area in high heels or after work. Bikes = nope..

if all the "Hamilton" based athletes are screwed and have to stay there for the week that they're here. lol
Speaking of which, athlete villages = nonstop sexoring.

As for the sky.. long/slow exposure thingo?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Speaking of which, athlete villages = nonstop sexoring.
All the sexual freedom of University, compressed into a few days. Condom companies are getting paid!

I thought Hamilton was having issues with some of their stadium renovations and securing money for the projects? But I'm too lazy to look up and confirm anything about the games.
That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I tend to be going that area in high heels or after work. Bikes =

heh. I would never wear any article of clothing that prevented me from being able to do something so basic as riding a bike. Girls are weird. Or maybe you aren't a girl. I shouldn't assume anything really.
Fuck it. I'm gonna start wearing women's clothing just to see if heels are as uncomfortable and annoying as they look.
I could really go for a poutine right now.

Top Bottom