• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

mr.rager

does this exist? I have much to investigate now!

But what if I do drive during the week o_0

I believe there's 2 options, the classic car insurance and leisure insurance. Not too familiar with either of them but if you give your insurance company a call they should be able to tell you all the details.

Me not drive, so it will have to be his name. I'm assuming he do the young drivers canada thing for better rate. Weekend only probably doable since we live and work in city and not even using highways. Maintenance shouldn't be a prob, we're quite ocd about anything out of place and have a 24hr garage nearby, tho prolly will end up going to a specific place for that in the end.

Want learn more about what it's like to live with a tesla doe.

I'd still recommend getting your license and putting the car under your name even if you won't drive the car, you will save MASSIVE amounts of money on insurance since you live in Toronto. The price on premiums depends on a lot of factors, how old you are (cheaper if you're over 25), where you live, how long you've been driving, marital status, the car you drive etc. Here in Mississauga, a brand new male driver over 25 can expect to pay 300-400 a month on insurance. Since you live in downtown where the chances of accidents happening are much higher (fuckin' cabbies) than living in the burbs, you will probably pay a bit more. Driver's ed should help, I think it's like saving 10% on premiums from what I've heard. I still think you should get your license and have the car under your name, especially since you're married. Somewhat cheaper premiums yo.

Rinoa

I believe there's 2 options, the classic car insurance and leisure insurance. Not too familiar with either of them but if you give your insurance company a call they should be able to tell you all the details.

I'd still recommend getting your license and putting the car under your name even if you won't drive the car, you will save MASSIVE amounts of money on insurance since you live in Toronto. The price on premiums depends on a lot of factors, how old you are (cheaper if you're over 25), where you live, how long you've been driving, marital status, the car you drive etc. Here in Mississauga, a brand new male driver over 25 can expect to pay 300-400 a month on insurance. Since you live in downtown where the chances of accidents happening are much higher (fuckin' cabbies) than living in the burbs, you will probably pay a bit more. Driver's ed should help, I think it's like saving 10% on premiums from what I've heard. I still think you should get your license and have the car under your name, especially since you're married. Somewhat cheaper premiums yo.

Is it really that diff for gender? I blind as a bat dawn or dusk (since PRK) and drive like crazy taxi tho.

I had to make two trips to Sunnybrook and back this afternoon (which is like 4x40mins) so I did a lot of radio-listening on a jam packed highway today :lol
I hated driving to Sunnybrook when my dad was there. Course I kept taking the York Mills and Bayview route at like 8 in the morning so I was stuck in that left turn lane for what felt like forever. Also doesn't help that parking there is a joke.

jl4855

I hated driving to Sunnybrook when my dad was there. Course I kept taking the York Mills and Bayview route at like 8 in the morning so I was stuck in that left turn lane for what felt like forever. Also doesn't help that parking there is a joke.

agreed though there are options for frequent visitors. still $ though.

Pay a ridiculous amount for parking at Sick Kids too. It's like $16 a day. :/

which is why I'm somewhat glad I don't drive to dialysis every other day

They cut off Wheel-trans for dialysis patients too, which was an asshole thing to do. They gave us a hemodialysis machine for home-use though, and although it beeps all night, it is preferable to paying thousands of dollars in parking lol

ahdurian

They cut off Wheel-trans for dialysis patients too, which was an asshole thing to do. They gave us a hemodialysis machine for home-use though, and although it beeps all night, it is preferable to paying thousands of dollars in parking lol
Yeah I heard about the wheel trans thing. Even with it though, a lot of drivers were heirs and would just leave if the patient wasn't ready by time they got there.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Or you can be like me and make too much money. It's tough sometimes.

KVrQGK2.gif

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
How's momofuku in Toronto?

The noodles aren't that good from what I hear, though I haven't had it myself.

I have been to the upstairs Daisho restaurant and that was quite good. Maybe a tad expensive.

I also had their Fried Chicken group dinner thing that was freaking delicious. Highly recommend that one.

The Milk bar is hit or miss. I really like all their cookies, but that crack pie is overrated.

soultron

Banned
How's momofuku in Toronto?

Worth trying. It's more towards fine dining than traditional "fast food"-variety ramen in the rest of the city.

The flavour of their broth is much smokier, on purpose, and it's lighter since it's not very fatty. This comes at the cost of the broth being not as flavourful in the way you'd expect from fatty pork broths (I think... Momofuku's is chicken and pork based?), but the smoky flavour is very unique.

The slow-poached egg might be an inconvenience to plebs like Kuro, but it's a really nice treat if you're the type to break your egg and mix the soft, runny yolk into the broth like most of us classy ramen snobs.

The pork is the same stuff from their legendary pork buns, so it's great. Super fatty. Nice!

Fish cakes are very thin, don't add too much.

Noodles are OK. Not very thick, but a nice tenderness.

I'd say it's definitely worth a try, but don't treat it as a ramen joint moreso as a fine dining place (as much as the head chef doesn't want it to be).

Also, in recent ramen news: I went to Kinton 1 (51 Baldwin) the other day, and I've gotta say the quality is slipping. The cooks were dead silent, the service was lacking (waited 30 minutes to get the server back to us to ask for the bill), pork portions seem skimpy, and the egg was nearly hard boiled. I'm worried. Kinton is my favourite place (even though Sansotei, Raijin, and TouhenBoku are still fantastic too, in their own ways) but this was not up to the usual quality.

Rinoa

Got sick from being out in the cold, visiting a house where heating was broken, then out in the cold again on TTC with sick people on dirty duff.

Driving skill is another matter though lol
im an old asian woman
I'm screwed right?

Soultron not like Ryoji? That's my haunt.

soultron

Banned
Eh, Ryoji is decent too, but I've found it's undergone too many menu changes for me to really keep up with it. Their (kara?)miso broth was pretty great, last I tried.

I'm a sucker for places where the cooks yell at you when you walk in the door, basically. That instantly earns +50 cool-ramen points. Kinton used to be the best at this.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I went to Kinton 1 only a few months ago and didn't have any issues wih slow service or food quality. In fact, I'm kind of craving it now...blood sugar, HNNNFGGHHHHH!

I should specify I went to Momofuku Noodle Bar and milk bar not the other places. I still prefer the eggs you get at other places and I just felt it wasn't as hearty as Kinton or Sansotei either. I would like to try Daishi one day though but it's low on my list.

I've been watching Mind of a Chef with David Chang on Netflix and while I admire his dedication, Momofuku isn't worth the hype when you have so many better places available. The pork belly buns are very good though! :)

Let's see...

I HOPE YOU GET FROSTBITE ON YOUR NOSE AND IT FALLS OFF, KRAFTWERK!

As for Rinoa, oh yeah, when I think of 'old asian lady' she's the first to pop to mind :p

soultron

Banned
What do you guys think of Ryu's Noodle Bar at Baldwin?

It's OK, nothing remarkable from the 3 times and 3 different bowls I tried. It's also just reaaaaaaaaaally hard to recommend with Kinton 1 right there.

The last time we went, my friend got the miso, and the noodles were disintegrating in his bowl. It was super strange. He also got food poisoning that night, perhaps from Ryu's. I've never been back since.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It's OK, nothing remarkable from the 3 times and 3 different bowls I tried. It's also just reaaaaaaaaaally hard to recommend with Kinton 1 right there.

The last time we went, my friend got the miso, and the noodles were disintegrating in his bowl. It was super strange. He also got food poisoning that night, perhaps from Ryu's. I've never been back since.
Whoa...glad I didn't go there then. It's hard to resist the Kinton! :<

It's still
Kinton
Sansotei
Santouka
Touhenboku

For me...wait, it's coffee wars this year, right?

Balzac's
Te Aro
Tango
Sam James
Dark Horse

I would like to add to this list, but it seems everyone and their mother thinks they can make coffee properly to sell. I shit you not when I say there are literally 25 places or more for coffee within a 15 min walk of my place. I've tried a whole bunch of places with my wife, who is a coffee demon, and we just keep sticking to our regular spots though she doesn't like Te Aro and prefers Bobette and Belle which is more of a bakery and sells Balzac's coffee anyways.

I've been watching Mind of a Chef with David Chang on Netflix and while I admire his dedication, Momofuku isn't worth the hype when you have so many better places available. The pork belly buns are very good though! :)

Lol I've been watching the exact same show which is why I kinda wanted to try out momofuku.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
good man. go before the yanks invade. I was just there last week.

It's gonna be me and my girlfriends first time in the Caribbean, we're pretty excited. The resort seems amazing too. Playa Cayo Santa Maria. They have sundaes!

I guess this is a good time to ask as any, do you/rest of Toronto GAF have any tips on stuff I should bring? I don't wanna be unprepared!

Oppo

It's gonna be me and my girlfriends first time in the Caribbean, we're pretty excited. The resort seems amazing too. Playa Cayo Santa Maria. They have sundaes!

I guess this is a good time to ask as any, do you/rest of Toronto GAF have any tips on stuff I should bring? I don't wanna be unprepared!

Sure.

Bring the obvious; sunscreen, sandals etc. Bring a bunch of mini "travel sized" toiletries from Shoppers Drug Mart to leave for the maid, they go crazy for that stuff and you'll get better service. Don't pack anything valuable at all in your checked luggage (my sunglasses got swiped last trip), just clothes and shaving bag or w/e. If you get offered a VIP package for the airport you TAKE IT. It costs 25 CUC I think per person but they literally whisk you past every lineup in the airport (incl. exit tax booth; remember to keep 25 CUC per person to get out of the country) and put you in a special lounge with free booze. Bring some sort of larger Tervis/Bubba Mug type deal with a lid if you plan on going to the beach a lot; saves trips to the bar and you can just tell the to fill some absurd receptacle. If there's good snorkeling off the beach where you are (and I think I've been there) then it's worth it to bring your own snorkel + mask + flips for easy access. There will be some sort of beach towel system and people are total dicks with camping loungers so be merciless with that shit. Also you can flip Cubans loonies and toonies and they seem to be able to convert those most places (we are 60% of their tourism) but get CUC converted at the airport if at all possible, will be more at the resort on conversion. Always head for the omlette guy at the buffet in the morning, by far your best bet. Most of the food will be bland but they really know pork. If you get ala-carte restaurant bookings with your trip be sure to book them on the first day or two before they fill up. And make sure your e-reader is loaded for the flight because delays are not uncommon. I think that's it.

edit - oh their plugs are all over the place so bring both euro and those round two-prong deals if you have 'em; and a convertible 110-220V adapter will be fine in any plug you can fit it into.

edit 2 - yes I have been there, that place is awesome. Spanish design. Just make sure you look for shade, as when I was there 2 years ago the trees hadn't grown up much yet, as it's a fairly new place still.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

That's the resort my brother got married at in 2010.

Tips:

-Book your a la carte restaurants as soon as you can once you check in at the resort so you can get the ones you want/nights you want.
-Try to stay on the second floor of your building so it's less humid. I was on the first floor and it was a lot worse than what my parents had on the second floor. Pretty sure you can email them now to try to request a second floor room. Hope you can write in Spanish. :p
-Take a bubba mug so you can get a bigger drink than the small plastic cups they give you so you don't have to make as many trips to the bar.
-Be prepared for the 1.5 hour bus ride from the airport to the resort. It's nice during the day because of the scenery but my sister-in-law's cousin arrived late at night and hated it because everything was dark and so it was boring for him and his wife.

IIRC I slept a total of 30 hours the entire week I was there and was almost constantly buzzed.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Someone gifted me a bag of unroasted coffee beans. Does anyone know where I can get them roasted?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Cuba was nice...just be sure to bring immodium, a nail clipper, and insect repellent as well as all the other stuff.

Let's just say that having a needle stuck in your ass the first time in front of a girlfriend isn't ideal...

Nail clippers, they're frigging expensive there so just in case

I guess it's my tasty alcoholic blood but insects love me there. Also check your washrooms and curtains, I had some pretty big spiders. D;

Oppo

oh. yeah some musk oil is a good idea. there were bad mosquitos there. no see 'ums.

I'm not proud of it but I once looked up whether or not it's possible to be so drunk that bugs die when they drink your blood. (no.)

Windam

Scaley member
Fuck living in Scarborough. Taking the TTC here sucks, and if you live where I am, nothing good is in walking distance. You (or, well, I do) need a car. Downtown living is so much more convenient; all that shit right in walking distance or a short streetcar/subway ride away. One day.

im an old asian woman
I'm screwed right?

I'm thinking one of those nice, slow-moving vehicles with the flashing lights for you.

Someone gifted me a bag of unroasted coffee beans. Does anyone know where I can get them roasted?

...not those cat poo ones? D:

Rinoa

Top Bottom