• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Willectro

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I agree. But the first person who brings this up is going to get their faces eaten off by no only scarborough residents, but also the Fords (and as a result, probably Etobicoke), the scarborough councillors, and both the Liberal and Conservative Scarborough MPs. I don't think anyone wants to deal with all that, even though I'm sure everyone thinks it's probably the best for everyone.

As long as MPAC is fair with assessments in Scarborough following the completion of this plan, I guess I could live with the current plans. Property reassessments + property tax increase to pay for their unnecessary subway. Either way, Scarborough needs to pay proportionally more since this extension compounds existing systemic issues and does nothing for the majority of Toronto (I can't see any need to ever travel to Scarborough, personally).

Sch1sm

I can't be the only one who lives in Scarborough and doesn't care for the LRT at all. I can take buses like I've done for years.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So, apparently Goodlife is looking to take over a number of the Target locations. Just what we need.

edit: And Stet just brought this lovely exchange to my attention. Annoyed rider (and probably a jackass) and that passive aggressive customer service.

kgoHyNP.png

Kraftwerk

rofl

Charges laid for Maple Leafs jersey thrown on ice

Three men have been charged for their actions and also face lifetime bans from the Air Canada Centre.

keep diverting and distracting people from your shittiness with shit like this

loleafs

Quick

Banned
So, apparently Goodlife is looking to take over a number of the Target locations. Just what we need.

edit: And Stet just brought this lovely exchange to my attention. Annoyed rider (and probably a jackass) and that passive aggressive customer service.

kgoHyNP.png

If you're late on a consistent basis, then you should adjust your schedule accordingly.

soultron

Banned

kgoHyNP.png

I hate how, for some people, consistent problems (that could be easily remedied by changing something small on their end) are everyone's fault but their own. What a shitlord.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Haha, indeed. Knowing how the TTC can operate at times, I always prefer to be half an hour early rather than risk being late. I occasionally see TTCHelps snipe back at people complaining, but the riders themselves are no sweethearts.

Kraftwerk

eh, multiple times I have been late due to TTC fuckery. Even getting out earlier.

Fuck them. Dont care that that dude is an asshole. Its a shit service.

I cannot count the number of time I have been out in the cold waiting for a bus/streetcar way past the time that it was supposed to arrive, and then 4-5 arrive at the same time. It happens way too often. And all their other shit aswell.

I had sworn I would never get a car, but that is gonna change this year. Would rather sit in my car listening to music in traffic, rather than be stuck in a jammed bus during summer with people who dont know what a deodorant or shower is for two hours.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I found stacked buses to be a far worse problem while I was in Ottawa. And their winters are far worse than here. That shit was the worst thing to deal with first thing in the morning. Hell, sometimes buses just wouldn't come at all, because reasons.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The worst TTC fuckery happens on the 501/504. I never understand spacing of the streetcars. You'll see four in a row and a fifth will blow through a yellow light to keep up with the pack. I know the Dufferin bus is similar with packs of buses sticking together, then nothing for twenty minutes. And going home, the short turns out of nowhere, sometimes with multiple vehicles in a row, are a nightmare. Good luck if you live beyond the Humber Loop near the streetcar line.

We'll never own a car in the city. The cost and convenience of the TTC is one thing, but owning a car is an entirely different beast, no matter how cheap gas becomes. Car share service + transit for us.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I found stacked buses to be a far worse problem while I was in Ottawa. And their winters are far worse than here. That shit was the worst thing to deal with first thing in the morning. Hell, sometimes buses just wouldn't come at all, because reasons.

Nothing compares to the 2009 bus strike, I had to walk 1:20 in snow and cold. Fuck Ottawa, main reason I moved.

Just a quick question for my fellow torontonians.

I am travelling to mexico tomorrow. I have no intention of using my phone to make any calls or send any texts, but want it for emergency use and to use the camera on it.

What do I have to do to prepare for this? Will rogers charge me if I receive texts down there? Will my emergency calling functionality work?

Kraftwerk

Contact them and confirm with them. Get them to send you an email if you can, so they cant charge you later and go "we never said that". I have heard too many horror stories regarding travel phone charges from rogers and bell.

Roto13

"That is my job to ensure your tweets are free of profanity, derogatory terms and obscenity."

Well, then, like every TTC employee behind a pane of glass in a subway station, your job is pointless.

Contact them and confirm with them. Get them to send you an email if you can, so they cant charge you later and go "we never said that". I have heard too many horror stories regarding travel phone charges from rogers and bell.

Did some research. I've settled on pulling out my sim card and not inserting it when i'm down there unless an emergency comes up.

This should suffice correct? Without my sim card they don't know who I am.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I am travelling to mexico tomorrow. I have no intention of using my phone to make any calls or send any texts, but want it for emergency use and to use the camera on it.

What do I have to do to prepare for this? Will rogers charge me if I receive texts down there? Will my emergency calling functionality work?

Put the phone on flight/airplane mode the entire trip?

mr.rager

Take out the sim card and put it in your wallet in case you need to use it for some reason.

Quick

Banned
Did some research. I've settled on pulling out my sim card and not inserting it when i'm down there unless an emergency comes up.

This should suffice correct? Without my sim card they don't know who I am.

That's fine. Airplane mode should also be good enough.

Divvy

I find that Taxis drivers are the worst at this. Hate driving downtown because our cabbies don't know how to drive properly.

I inherited a car two weeks ago and I'm already so sick of Toronto drivers, and yeah the cabbies are awful

mr.rager

I inherited a car two weeks ago and I'm already so sick of Toronto drivers, and yeah the cabbies are awful

Wait til you get people switch on to your lane without signalling right before a red light and people abruptly stopping because they weren't paying attention and looked at the wrong traffic light. All in the same night.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Or the people that begin signalling after they've already started their turn, or have already changed lanes. You're suppose to signal to let people know your intentions, idiots, not while you're in the act while we can clearly see what you're doing.

And I don't even drive (much) anymore, it's just what I see while I'm out walking. Don't get me started on the amount of people that literally stop in the middle of a cross walk on a red. mrgrgr..

Roto13

Or the people that begin signalling after they've already started their turn, or have already changed lanes. You're suppose to signal to let people know your intentions, idiots, not while you're in the act while we can clearly see what you're doing.

And I don't even drive (much) anymore, it' just what I see while I'm out walking. Don't get me started on the amount of people that literally stop in the middle of a cross walk on a red. mrgrgr..

Once I just walked across the hood of someone's car when they did that.

No I didn't, I just made that up, but I would like to.

zroid

Banned
Haha CTV news really giving it to Phaneuf right now. Saying he shouldn't be a captain nor should he be a #1 or #2 D on any NHL team lmao

i don't think captaincy matters but they're not really wrong about him... he's probably a solid #3 on a quality team. #2 on an OK team. #1 on a crap team.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Rinoa said:
What about electric?

Nope. I emphasized gas because allot of people point towards that as the reason it's too expensive to own a car. But really it's insurance, parking at the apartment, parking at work and whenever I go out, and maintenance, all on top of fuel. After spending much of my early adult life commuting for hours per day, I'd prefer not to go back to that. Just my preference though!

Rinoa

Nope. I emphasized gas because allot of people point towards that as the reason it's too expensive to own a car. But really it's insurance, parking at the apartment, parking at work and whenever I go out, and maintenance, all on top of fuel. After spending much of my early adult life commuting for hours per day, I'd prefer not to go back to that. Just my preference though!

Man, I want to get my husband a tesla in a few yrs and now I'm scurred :(

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I had so much money when I didn't have a car. :(

Willectro

Banned
It's probably just me, but I'm growing tired and bored of Toronto restaurants. Not to say that's a complete loss because I could certainly stand to lose a few pounds. I'm not looking to be served like I'm a billionaire, but this evening I went with my girlfriend to an pub type establishment for a beer and burg.

I don't want to sit at the back, in a corner beside the washroom and the busy kitchen entrance, when other seats are available. I don't want the table to rock back and forth because the ground is uneven. I don't want the seats to feel like they will collapse at any moment (maybe this gets back to losing a few pounds - but I'm not that big). I don't want to sit 3 inches away from another table of people, so close that it is tough to get up. I don't want the table to be sticky. I don't want the pint to be missing 3/4 of an inch of beer because it was poured 10 minutes earlier.

I just want a decent experience when I'm paying $60 for 2 burgers and 2 beers. Maybe it's because I'm young, but I was dressed up for work. And I think I look and act pretty normal and polite, typically speaking. I just feel like many restaurants (and I mean the owners, not the staff) want to pass off shit and have you pay for it. Is a good experience and decent food too much to ask for? Maybe I'm going to the wrong spots. I just find I'm constantly underwhelmed and the only restaurant that never fails is Barbarians.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I didn't mean to discourage you, sorry! It's different for everyone. If you can afford it, a car can offer a great deal of freedom. But even disregarding our single income household as a limitation, I just prefer transit and car share. It's pretty convenient and we do save a bunch without a car. Spending time commuting in transit, I can generally spend that time browsing online for surface routes, or squeezing in game time in the subway. Listening to the radio on a jam packed highway does hold some nostalgia for me though. :)

zroid

Banned
I had to make two trips to Sunnybrook and back this afternoon (which is like 4x40mins) so I did a lot of radio-listening on a jam packed highway today :lol

mr.rager

If you've never owned a vehicle and insurance under your own name, put down yourself as the main driver and your husband as the secondary, insurance will be much cheaper if a female is the main driver.

Maintenance is killer too if you don't treat car well, get your oil changed every 6 months (a little extreme but I treat my car like my baby) keep your fluids topped off, invest in winter tires and if you hear something that's not normal, take it to a reputable garage and have it checked out. I find that the number one thing that kills most cars is when people put off getting a small thing repaired which later on becomes a huge problem and more expensive problem.

I drive a 91 Toyota MR2 with 220000 kms on it and she runs like she's brand new. Only thing I've ever repaired on it is the tie rod due to age and the clutch at 150 km.

I got a job downtown so I stopped driving and now I feel like I'm wasting money paying insurance + metro passes when I only drive on the weekend. But I don't want to give up the car :(

-1st world problems

You should be able to change your insurance to a weekend only insurance although that depends on what car you drive. Your car might not be eligible.

Rinoa

If you've never owned a vehicle and insurance under your own name, put down yourself as the main driver and your husband as the secondary, insurance will be much cheaper if a female is the main driver.

Maintenance is killer too if you don't treat car well, get your oil changed every 6 months (a little extreme but I treat my car like my baby) keep your fluids topped off, invest in winter tires and if you hear something that's not normal, take it to a reputable garage and have it checked out. I find that the number one thing that kills most cars is when people put off getting a small thing repaired which later on becomes a huge problem and more expensive problem.

I drive a 91 Toyota MR2 with 220000 kms on it and she runs like she's brand new. Only thing I've ever repaired on it is the tie rod due to age and the clutch at 150 km.

You should be able to change your insurance to a weekend only insurance although that depends on what car you drive. Your car might not be eligible.

Me not drive, so it will have to be his name. I'm assuming he do the young drivers canada thing for better rate. Weekend only probably doable since we live and work in city and not even using highways. Maintenance shouldn't be a prob, we're quite ocd about anything out of place and have a 24hr garage nearby, tho prolly will end up going to a specific place for that in the end.

Want learn more about what it's like to live with a tesla doe.

Divvy

Yeah car insurance in Toronto is no joke. The freedom is really nice, but man does it come at a cost.

Top Bottom