• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm (slowly) making my way around the burger joints in TO. So far, Burger's Priest wins for best meat, Holy Chuck for best mind-blowing experience (the egg changed my life), and Superburger for the onion rings. DD gets points for the shake.

But I also tried a relatively new cafe around Yonge & St Clair (Artisan Bakery), which had some tasty, freshly prepared food. It's priced for the area, but the food is good and fresh and was perfect for a cold Saturday afternoon.
Never been to Superburger, but we're in agreement with the rest.

I've talked about it before. It's a rinky-dink shop north of Toronto at the intersection of 10 and 89. It's got a streetcar as a seating area, much like Webers.

And, also like Webers, the burgers are average.

But here, the rings are the delicious doughy kind that makes your cockles warm and your heart clog.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I still like Goldstar and downtown Five Guys best from what I've been to. Hero Burger sucks so hard for how expensive it is.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I still like Goldstar and downtown Five Guys best from what I've been to. Hero Burger sucks so hard for how expensive it is.

It's really not very good. Just fast food burger, but expensive. And they're everywhere downtown now.

I really have to get around to trying The Works in Bloor West. Everyone says their other locations are excellent.

Divvy

It's really not very good. Just fast food burger, but expensive. And they're everywhere downtown now.

I really have to get around to trying The Works in Bloor West. Everyone says their other locations are excellent.

Yeah the works in Ottawa is excellent. I need to go try out the one here. The only thing I like about Hero Burger is that some of them have that coke mixing machine that's in the theatres. I do like raspberry coke zero.

Goldstar?

Or Golden Star?

Golden Star's homemade deluxe is good. But the meat is better quality at Burger's Priest (I'm almost sorry to say it).

Divvy

Goldstar?

Or Golden Star?

Golden Star's homemade deluxe is good. But the meat is better quality at Burger's Priest (I'm almost sorry to say it).

Sorry, yeah Golden Star. I still haven't gone to Burger's Priest. Last time I tried, I learned that they weren't open on sundays.

theRizzle

I went there once. Walked out when I learned it would take 45 minutes just to place my order.

If you can manage to get there a little before the lunch crowd comes in (11:30-ish), it's usually empty. Otherwise, I usually call in my order so I don't have to wait. If you can get them to answer the phone that is.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
burgers again? FUCK

I left out burgers on my recommendations list on purpose because of this.

Oh, I also want to add one more recommendation:

British food - Bristol Yard
It begins.....!

Hero is shit for what you pay.
Burgers Priest has a great albeit greasy patty and crazy lines at times...and even sometimes sold out.
Holy Chuck also has a great albeit greasy patty and it has gone a bit downhill since it first opened.
Apache Burger is Leafs over hype...not bad, but not worth the trek.
Allen's is overrated and nothing special.
5 guys is surprisingly good. Haven't tried downtown location, but the Scarborough location has been good this far.
Burger Shoppe had a dry ass disgusting patty.
I live near Great Burger Kitchen and went three times to make sure, but their patties are also a bit dry, way too chewy, and generally tasteless.
Dangerous Dan's I've been to plenty. It's a decent joint, but not mind blowing in terms of taste.
Craft Burger isn't bad, but that bun is kinda blah.
W Burger Bar is a huge rip off. Probably the worst premium burger place I've been too. Burger was soppy and the bun just fell apart. I did get free refills though.
Edit: don't waste time with the Works. They have tons of choice, but their regular old burgers are the best of the worst. I remember the condiments had more taste than the patties...at the Danforth location anyways.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I've talked about it before. It's a rinky-dink shop north of Toronto at the intersection of 10 and 89. It's got a streetcar as a seating area, much like Webers.
I love how you describe Shelburne as "north of Toronto". It's 100km north of the core. :p

cVqMUXB.jpg

source

Here is a rough paper model trying to show the basic design idea for the three enormous skyscrapers that make up the Mirvish and Gehry proposal for the entertainment district.

juypq6l.jpg

It seems that the idea is that there is a podium where all the cultural stuff will be located which looks like some sort of cloud that the three residential buildings come out from.
Don't get me wrong, I fucking love crazy as shit architecture like this - but how the hell do you actually build that?!

Roto13

Here is a rough paper model trying to show the basic design idea for the three enormous skyscrapers that make up the Mirvish and Gehry proposal for the entertainment district.

juypq6l.jpg

It seems that the idea is that there is a podium where all the cultural stuff will be located which looks like some sort of cloud that the three residential buildings come out from.
Don't get me wrong, I fucking love crazy as shit architecture like this - but how the hell do you actually build that?!

Fog machines

I love how you describe Shelburne as "north of Toronto". It's 100km north of the core. :p

I'm not technically wrong, though. It is geographically north of Toronto. :D

And, frankly, the way I drive, it's less than an hour away.

Which puts it in the same category as Golden Star (since I moved from the childhood home in T-hill to downtown). Outside the city but worth a drive to try.

There's a truck-stop-sort of place on Yonge south of Major Mac that has the doughy onion rings too, but they're more like donuts with an onion than an onion ring with a hint of donut.

PS, Shelburne is awesome. The windmills let you live an HG Wells novel for the brief period in which you are driving through.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gurdeep Ahluwalia and Nabil Karim hosted Sportscentre — and the backlash was appalling

There have been a number of articles put up today about it. May hear more about it in tomorrow news cycle along with the story about Rebecca Marino.

Good article talking about both

Wow, that's the first time I've seen the Sportscentre set in nearly a decade... and it looks the same. lol

And you know, given that sports fans are basically middle class white dudes, I'm not really surprised at the reaction.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pretty much this.

It's interesting that people only picked it up now considering they've actually co-anchored before.
Honestly, I image that Jennifer Heger (yeah, the last time I watched TSN) must have gotten a lot of shit when she started anchoring the show as well.

Random question, but is Off The Record (with Michael Lansberg) still on? lol

Quick

Banned
Honestly, I image that Jennifer Heger (yeah, the last time I watched TSN) must have gotten a lot of shit when she started anchoring the show as well.

Random question, but is Off The Record (with Michael Lansberg) still on? lol

There's more female anchors now. There's been plenty of shows with just female anchors, especially lately. Plenty of eye candy.

Sadly, it's still on, yes. It's possible that it may have gotten worse based on the random times I've had to tune into it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's more female anchors now. There's been plenty of shows with just female anchors, especially lately. Plenty of eye candy.

Sadly, it's still on, yes. It's possible that it may have gotten worse based on the random times I've had to tune into it.
I just remember OTR for the wrestling guests they would get. I can't believe it's still going.

And, well, the female anchor thing is also another way to please men. Once they get over their misogyny, they can imagine having sex with them. lol

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I heard about the Nabil thing when they hosted a few nights ago. Thanks for the link.

Absolutely disgusted and yet not surprised. I hope it makes Nabil that much more dedicated to the craft. I think he's pretty great on TSN and he should have a bright future.

Kraftwerk

Anyone here been to Pain Perdu on saint claire? Have a lunch meeting today there. I was told we will be having duck. Never had duck before.

Spl1nter

I heard about the Nabil thing when they hosted a few nights ago. Thanks for the link.

Absolutely disgusted and yet not surprised. I hope it makes Nabil that much more dedicated to the craft. I think he's pretty great on TSN and he should have a bright future.

People be jelly of the young kid rocking the three piece suit on national tv.

Azih

Free small coffee at McDonalds Feb 25-Mar 3, all day. If it's like their previous promotions, they'll knock the price of the small off of medium/large sizes, so you end up paying something like 30c for a large.

It's not the greatest coffee, but at least it's better than Tim's.

Free coffee days at McDonalds are like a zoo. Hilarious to see 15 minute long lineups of power suit wearing traders and financial advisors waiting for crappy coffee.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Free coffee days at McDonalds are like a zoo. Hilarious to see 15 minute long lineups of power suit wearing traders and financial advisors waiting for crappy coffee.

Some of the McDonalds are really good at moving people through, even having a dedicated line just for serving coffee. Thankfully my small McDonalds on the west end doesn't get that busy.

Roto13

Fast food coffee.

There are people who leave their homes and go to McDonald's specifically for coffee. It's so weird to me.

Top Bottom