• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So I definitely know I am an optimist for the most part when it comes to Toronto sports but really I think things may turn around for most of the teams. I'm not calling for championships, I've been hurt too long to expect that.

But with the Argos winning the Grey Cup, the Jays making that big move and becoming contenders for playoffs now we may have begun to finally step forward.

Hell this lockout may prove beneficial to the Leafs. If the season gets cancelled (it will) and if the rules stay the same for the draft the Leafs should have a good shot at getting the top pick and getting themselves a stud centerman.

Raptors...hell we may finally fire Colangelo! That's a plus! Although I'd sell every single one of you to be able to draft Andrew Wiggins in his draft in 2014.

Toronto FC also just hired a new president in charge of everything basically.
I'm optimistic about this move since the guy they hired knows the league well and had phenomenal success for DC United over the years.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=410386

(soccer is my sport. It has turned into a gateway drug actually because I used to hate all sports but now after getting into soccer, I have started liking baseball and hockey for the first time since I was a kid)

Quick

Banned
Has anyone been getting calls from a phone number in Las Vegas? I'm on Rogers, and I initially got a couple of calls from months ago, then all of a sudden, I've been getting them once a day since Monday.

What the fuck.

Kunohara

Anyone happen to know any places where I can buy a small foghorn? I don't want to have to go downtown, but if that's the only place, I'll take it I guess. I live in North York.

i-Lo

Anyone worried about the new set of rules about torrents and whether our asses might be retroactively jacked for fines?

Also, do the rules extend to stuff music or tv shows (and pr0n) or just movies?

thabiz

Anyone happen to know any places where I can buy a small foghorn? I don't want to have to go downtown, but if that's the only place, I'll take it I guess. I live in North York.

Im guessing a boating store would only carry those. Maybe canadian tire?

Sober

Anyone worried about the new set of rules about torrents and whether our asses might be retroactively jacked for fines?

Also, do the rules extend to stuff music or tv shows (and pr0n) or just movies?
Come again? I must've missed this.

Azih

Man for niche stuff like this I've started relying on ebay

i-Lo

Come again? I must've missed this.

It's big news. IIRC federal govt are going after people who illegally download movies via p2p (which means torrents as well). Apparently, some private company has data on millions of canadians who can be implicated. There is also talk about something called the six strike rule to deter and then punish people who are repeat offenders. In montreal the govt. forced out the names of 50 individuals through the ISPs (here's hoping my ISP doesn't crack, but then again, I generally DON'T download movies, just tv shows) and fined them $5000.

thabiz

This isnt big, nor is the government going after anyone. Its a private firm asking for money.

The court ruling involved just 50 Canadians

The case involves NGN Prima Productions Inc, a Canadian company active in the US copyright troll scene gathering cash settlements from alleged sharers of its action movie “Recoil.”

Not content with trolling within the confines of the U.S., recently NGN filed a lawsuit in the Federal Court in Montreal.

Its limited to that specific movie. Plus its a single court in MTL, not the federal government making the ruling.

Did you even read the article?

Bill C-11, the Copyright Modernization Act, which was passed in June, allows rights holders to send copyright infringement notices to Internet providers who in turn notify subscribers who are linked to the IP address.

The government is going after anyone.

i-Lo

This isnt big, nor is the government going after anyone. Its a private firm asking for money.

Its limited to that specific movie. Plus its a single court in MTL, not the federal government making the ruling.

Did you even read the article?

And its a PROVINCIAL court, not federal.

Yea, now that I re-read it does say it's a private firm. However, does this not mean that they, who have without consent or warrant collected data for the purpose of incrimination be able to file lawsuit against individuals in Canada?

Pertaining to court, I'm a bit confused because it says, "Federal court sitting in Montreal".

thabiz

Yea, now that I re-read it does say it's a private firm. However, does this not mean that they, who have without consent or warrant collected data for the purpose of incrimination be able to file lawsuit against individuals in Canada?

Pertaining to court, I'm a bit confused because it says, "Federal court sitting in Montreal".

Only if all those millions of people d/l that movie. They would have to file a suit on every single intellectual property. Each unique property would require a lawsuit.

There are federal courts in all provinces, but it isnt the "FEDERAL" court. Its used for cases that dont fall under provincial courts, but doesnt make the ruling canada wide.

Read Bill C-11. You can only be sued by private companies. The government cant come after you.

And the guy quoted in the article that says that the government can get you, is the same guy that owns the company.

Next time, dont use a piracy site as your source.

i-Lo

Only if all those millions of people d/l that movie. They would have to file a suit on every single intellectual property. Each unique property would require a lawsuit.

There are federal courts in all provinces, but it isnt the "FEDERAL" court. Its used for cases that dont fall under provincial courts, but doesnt make the ruling canada wide.

Read Bill C-11. You can only be sued by private companies. The government cant come after you.

And the guy quoted in the article that says that the government can get you, is the same guy that owns the company.

Next time, dont use a piracy site as your source.

I was going to source o.canada.com for the news and it looks it's the same article from global montreal. But thank you nonetheless.

Also, if I may ask, what did you mean by every single intellectual property would require a lawsuit?

Thanks once again.

thabiz

I was going to source o.canada.com for the news and it looks it's the same article from global montreal. But thank you nonetheless.

Also, if I may ask, what did you mean by every single intellectual property would require a lawsuit?

Thanks once again.

This case is strictly for that one particular movie. They would need separate a case for a different movie, and so on. We are a long way away from seeing blanket lawsuits on copyright infringement here in Canada.

Dont d/l illegal stuff, you wont be potentially sued. Simple.

And i wouldn't be admitting that on this board.

i-Lo

This case is strictly for that one particular movie. They would need separate a case for a different movie, and so on. We are a long way away from seeing blanket lawsuits on copyright infringement here in Canada.

Dont d/l illegal stuff, you wont be potentially sued. Simple.

And i wouldn't be admitting that on this board.

Ah I see. Thanks.

I never admitted to downloading anything illegal. Just stuff you can't get on Netflix because I am not in UK. Top gear man, top gear.

Azih

This is the least of the problems but.. you do get Top Gear on Netflix.

Not that that has anything to do with legality of course.

Presco

Ah I see. Thanks.

I never admitted to downloading anything illegal. Just stuff you can't get on Netflix because I am not in UK. Top gear man, top gear.

Just pay for a vpn or a service like http://www.unblock-us.com/

I swear by unblockus. I initially signed up for it because I subscribe to MLBtv and couldn't watch Jays games since local market games are blacked out. I was pissed because I paid $130 to not watch the team I signed up to watch. This service fixed that. It also works great for Netflix, Hulu, the BBC, and tons of other sites that you can't normally watch in Canada. I've had zero down time since I subscribed in April.

i-Lo

I swear by unblockus. I initially signed up for it because I subscribe to MLBtv and couldn't watch Jays games since local market games are blacked out. I was pissed because I paid $130 to not watch the team I signed up to watch. This service fixed that. It also works great for Netflix, Hulu, the BBC, and tons of other sites that you can't normally watch in Canada. I've had zero down time since I subscribed in April.

! Wow ! Thanks!

Can I access US Netflix on PS3 via this?

Willectro

Banned

I would hope our government has better sense than this. 99% of all legal alternatives to downloading are either unavailable in Canada (thanks CRTC and others), have a lot less/undesirable content (Netflix), are overpriced, or have terrible DRM. Blockbuster and Rogers Video have closed up shop. CD's and Blu-rays are too expensive for the average person to buy 100's of and movie theatres suck. Even Rogers Digital Cable is pretty shitty for the +/- $100 a month you pay, plus the PPV/ROD is always lagging behind. Game of Thrones is a great example: I can have the best Rogers package available, but that doesn't allow me to watch Game of Thrones from the start (last time I looked you could watch some of season 2 or something). I really wish that once in the history of Canada our government would stand up to corporations and tell them to fuck off. If you don't give the public reasonable access for fair prices, WTF do you expect? If these movie studios and record labels want to make money, they need to get with the times. Artists/Bands need to wake up and realize (like their predecessors in the 60's/70's) that much of their revenue is going to come from touring. Sorry, you can't record an album anymore and sit back while the money rolls in, that ship has sailed.

I'm so sick of these piracy complaints by corporations, meanwhile nothing is improving for the average non-pirate consumer (in fact in many aspects, things are getting worse). And on top of that, what the fuck is with this mentality of going after the downloader? It would be a far easier battle to instead prosecute the uploaders because there are far less of them. Don't jail the drug addict, jail the dealer. Napster came our in 1999 and no significant legal solutions have been implemented since then (specifically in Canada). Oh how about Spotify, that seems legit, decent selection, fair subscription price? Too bad, not available in Canada for another 20 years. I hate this shit.

Edit: I am aware of VPN's and other IP location circumvention methods, but we shouldn't have to do this. This isn't some third world country.

Willectro

Banned
If you want spotify, try Rdio. Its basically the same thing and in some ways better.

I tried it a little while back, but didn't enjoy it as much as Spotify. The great part about Spotify is that you only need to be the US/UK when you log in (just in case you are travelling, lol).

I should give Rdio another chance.

krae_man

So I definitely know I am an optimist for the most part when it comes to Toronto sports but really I think things may turn around for most of the teams. I'm not calling for championships, I've been hurt too long to expect that.

But with the Argos winning the Grey Cup, the Jays making that big move and becoming contenders for playoffs now we may have begun to finally step forward.

Hell this lockout may prove beneficial to the Leafs. If the season gets cancelled (it will) and if the rules stay the same for the draft the Leafs should have a good shot at getting the top pick and getting themselves a stud centerman.

Raptors...hell we may finally fire Colangelo! That's a plus! Although I'd sell every single one of you to be able to draft Andrew Wiggins in his draft in 2014.

Stud centerman? Ha ha Burke will draft a defersemen.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Stud centerman? Ha ha Burke will draft a defersemen.

If it's #1 pick we're taking Mackinnon. If we get stuck with #2 then yeah we are getting Seth Jones.

Frankly I don't mind that.

It's just like how everyone was pissed off this year that he took Morgan Rielly instead of one of the center prospects. Now Rielly is looking like sexy hot fire.

i-Lo

I would hope our government has better sense than this. 99% of all legal alternatives to downloading are either unavailable in Canada (thanks CRTC and others), have a lot less/undesirable content (Netflix), are overpriced, or have terrible DRM. Blockbuster and Rogers Video have closed up shop. CD's and Blu-rays are too expensive for the average person to buy 100's of and movie theatres suck. Even Rogers Digital Cable is pretty shitty for the +/- $100 a month you pay, plus the PPV/ROD is always lagging behind. Game of Thrones is a great example: I can have the best Rogers package available, but that doesn't allow me to watch Game of Thrones from the start (last time I looked you could watch some of season 2 or something). I really wish that once in the history of Canada our government would stand up to corporations and tell them to fuck off. If you don't give the public reasonable access for fair prices, WTF do you expect? If these movie studios and record labels want to make money, they need to get with the times. Artists/Bands need to wake up and realize (like their predecessors in the 60's/70's) that much of their revenue is going to come from touring. Sorry, you can't record an album anymore and sit back while the money rolls in, that ship has sailed.

I'm so sick of these piracy complaints by corporations, meanwhile nothing is improving for the average non-pirate consumer (in fact in many aspects, things are getting worse). And on top of that, what the fuck is with this mentality of going after the downloader? It would be a far easier battle to instead prosecute the uploaders because there are far less of them. Don't jail the drug addict, jail the dealer. Napster came our in 1999 and no significant legal solutions have been implemented since then (specifically in Canada). Oh how about Spotify, that seems legit, decent selection, fair subscription price? Too bad, not available in Canada for another 20 years. I hate this shit.

Edit: I am aware of VPN's and other IP location circumvention methods, but we shouldn't have to do this. This isn't some third world country.

Have you been to an IMAX movie recently on a day that isn't Tuesday and checked the price? Soon it'll be unrealistic to go to a theatre like that without special coupons.

Also, I completely agree with the rest. If we had services like Hulu or other streaming and affordable options, I think this alternative many are forced to choose would drop drastically.

It's same shit situation with ISPs in canada (and in Toronto). You can't compete with Bell or Rogers on a big scale because of afaik certain legislative benefits companies like these enjoy. They give you terrible bandwidth options (once again, the hopes of curbing piracy and indirectly forcing consumers to buy shit like Bell or Rogers TV with HD solutions that cost arm and leg) and terrible speed (damn throttlers). I am glad that I switched to Teksavvy when I did but the upload speed is the same as with any other residential ISP, 1 measly megabit.

Quick

Banned
Has anyone been getting calls from a phone number in Las Vegas? I'm on Rogers, and I initially got a couple of calls from months ago, then all of a sudden, I've been getting them once a day since Monday.

What the fuck.

Just waned to update on this. Apparently, it's happening to a ton of people all over Canada.

I get Texas a lot.

Mine's listing Las Vegas, but it could very well be a spoofed number or something.

jokkir

At least you guys are getting it from North America. I used to get calls from India until I switched/answered the phone. It was some dude who kept calling the wrong number for weeks lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!

So if I use Netflix on the ipad this will give me access to full netflix US content?

Flash

I agree with you 100%. A lot of people who pirate are not exactly hardened criminals... its just that its the most convenient option. We're in a YouTube-age where people want things when they want it, not when it's scheduled on TV. But our online services just don't match that of the US so people look to alternatives.

Provide better services and piracy will go down significantly, it's as simple as that.

Did anyone see the second phase of the Big Move projects? Some good, good gravy in there including the Downtown Relief Line, Dundas BRT, Yonge subway extension, Lakeshore GO REX electrification etc.

METROLINX said:
Backgrounder

The Big Move's next wave of projects will continue Metrolinx's transformation of the region's transportation system by expanding the regional transit network as well as providing resources for local transit, roads, active transportation and more.

The Next Wave: Key Facts

713 km of enhanced transit
33 million new transit trips by 2031
6,139,344 people will live within 2 km of rapid transit by 2031
800,000 to 900,000 new jobs created between 2012 to 2031
$110 to $130 billion growth to Ontario's GDP between 2012 to 2031
$25 to $35 billion in total Government Revenues between 2012 to 2031
Rapid Transit Projects:

75 per cent of proposed investment is allocated to a transformative slate of regional transit projects:

Brampton Queen Street Rapid Transit: 10 km of upgraded transit along Queen Street.
Downtown Relief Line: New subway that will improve access to the regional core for residents from across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) and provide relief to the overflowing arteries of the Toronto transit system.
Dundas Street Bus Rapid Transit: 40 km of bus service running in dedicated lanes, connecting Toronto, Mississauga and Halton.
Durham-Scarborough Bus Rapid Transit: 36 km of bus service running in dedicated lanes, connecting Scarborough Centre to downtown Oshawa via Pickering, Ajax and Whitby.
GO Rail Expansion: More Two-Way, All-Day and Rush Hour Service: Introducing more two-way, all-day service, adding additional rush hour service across the entire network, and extending trains to Hamilton and Bowmanville.
Electrification of GO Kitchener line and Union Pearson Express: Upgrading diesel train service to electric propulsion for these two complementary transit services that share a substantial portion of their routing.
GO Lakeshore Express Rail Service - Phase 1 (including Electrification): Transforming GO Transit's backbone from Hamilton to Oshawa into a faster, more frequent and more convenient transit option by beginning the transition to an international-style Express Rail service.
Hamilton Light Rail Transit: 14 km LRT line stretching from McMaster University to Eastgate Square.
Hurontario-Main Light Rail Transit: 23 km LRT line connecting Port Credit to downtown Brampton via Cooksville and Mississauga City Centre.
Yonge North Subway Extension: 6 km extension that will connect the City of Toronto to the Richmond Hill / Langstaff Urban Growth Centre.

Local transit, roads and highways and other projects
The remaining 25 per cent is allocated to local transit projects, as well as roads and highways, active transportation and transportation demand management throughout the region.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1080785/metrolinx-unveils-next-wave-of-big-move-projects

Hieberrr

Did anyone see the second phase of the Big Move projects? Some good, good gravy in there including the Downtown Relief Line, Dundas BRT, Yonge subway extension, Lakeshore GO REX electrification etc.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1080785/metrolinx-unveils-next-wave-of-big-move-projects

Who is funding all of this? Last I heard, the TTC couldn't even afford to pay its workers or for the new trains without increasing rider fees.

Who is funding all of this? Last I heard, the TTC couldn't even afford to pay its workers or for the new trains without increasing rider fees.
PRIVATE SECTOR! LOLOLOL.

It really is just mapping out what they want to do, whether it gets drafted to even get proper funding is something else entirely.

From what I heard it is going to be 66% provincial/federal and the rest is municipal.

For reference the first phase of the Big Move included Eglinton Crosstown, Sheppard East, Finch West LRTs and the replacement of the Scarborough LRT, BRT for York Region and Mississauga, a Pearson-Union link and a couple of more GO Stations. Not everything was accomplished but most of them have got funding and are being built. I'm sure most the projects in the second phase will start being built soon too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Lovely planning. I guess we'll see how much funding it actually gets when it's time to commit, but if they could put half of those ideas through it'd be amazing. Downtown Relief line is what we've been dying for and I'd love to see an LRT on Hurontario with all those new condos going up around Square One and lovely Port Credit.. it could really help Mississauga with their density in the area. Speaking of which, driving west toward Mississauga, you notice the city has a real skyline now. So different than six, or seven years ago.

Top Bottom