• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

gbj6U.jpg

source

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I agree with you 100%. A lot of people who pirate are not exactly hardened criminals... its just that its the most convenient option. We're in a YouTube-age where people want things when they want it, not when it's scheduled on TV. But our online services just don't match that of the US so people look to alternatives.

Provide better services and piracy will go down significantly, it's as simple as that.

Yeah, not everyone is going to use netflix through a vpn like me. Bob's burgers whenever I want it is a blessing.

Azih

Seriously, the province should bump up the sales tax by 2% and dedicate all of it to muncipal infrastructure projects.

Yeah, not everyone is going to use netflix through a vpn like me. Bob's burgers whenever I want it is a blessing.

Not only that but the selection is shit regardless where you go. I said it before and I'll say it again: $20 a month for premium service, and you can count me in. All the latest movies a month after releasing on DVD/Blu-ray.

Sadly, I'm stuck with Netflix's mediocre service.

thabiz

I never bothered with Netflix. The Canadian version is horrendous. Hell, TMN is better than Netflix, and i cant help feel that this is part of the reason why Netflix sucks. Rogers must have had some say in it i'm sure. The duopoly in this country is sickening.

Azih

I don't know, I've been running with no cable and just Netflix for a while now and it's working out great. There's a lot of good tv shows on canadian netflix and watching an episode or two of a TV show nightly is really all the television we need.

Community, The Job, The Good Guys, Leverage, Top Gear, Bones, Sherlock Holmes etc. It's a pretty good collection and keeps us busy enough.

I'm not a sports fan though so the lack of live games doesn't really hurt, and I get all my news from the internet. Netflix is pretty crap for finding some show or movie in specific, it's great for browsing and discovering something that's fun to watch and has a lot of episodes to go through though.

Azih

I'm really hoping for an appointed mayor for the next two years. Seriously the by election would be a horrible circus. I mean it'd have to be someone right wing but whatever. John Tory! Come back and save us!

Willectro

Banned
Not only that but the selection is shit regardless where you go. I said it before and I'll say it again: $20 a month for premium service, and you can count me in. All the latest movies a month after releasing on DVD/Blu-ray.

Sadly, I'm stuck with Netflix's mediocre service.

I wish there was just some type of amnesty fee you could pay annually to pirate as much as you want. But that will never happen.

I don't know if Spotify has changed recently (I doubt it), but a while back I remember Lady Gaga complaining that she got a couple hundred dollars for a million plays. But as I mentioned earlier, artists are going to have to tour or find alternative means to make revenue. And on top of that, it seems the biggest industry complainers are the ones making the most money. Many smaller bands/artists don't care how you hear their music, so long as you hear it and maybe go to their shows. Some bands are even putting their tracks up for free. I think that artists should make a decent living off their music, but I don't care if they can't afford a castle and 3 private jets. If your sole focus for making music is money, you got into the wrong business.

In regards to TV, I don't understand why I can't watch any show that has previously aired on demand. Hell, I would even watch some advertising (much like regular TV). Last time I legally streamed a TV show (I think it was on ctv.ca) they showed the same advertisement numerous times. Do these businesses not want money? And depending on the show, the opportunity for very targeted marketing is huge.

Dyno

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1295629--rob-ford-eligible-to-run-in-by-election

Ford is eligible to run in the by-election. I have this sickening feeling that he will not win the appeal, but be right back after the by-election. Disband the GTA, the suburbs do not, and should not, speak for the core.

I was thinking about this washing dishes last night.

Amalgamation could work if we had the kind of councillors that were prone to seek consensus and use diplomacy to ensure an agreement on issues. But we don't have that kind of council. It's become hyper-partisan and petty (in that a councillor will hold a grudge and vote against another if that person didn't vote with him on an unrelated issue.)

So amalgamation is a failure because of council. If council could work out their differences then there would be no obsticle that they couldn't overcome and amalgamation would be a success. But if they can't come together - as they prove every session for two years - then amalgamation won't work even if the obsticles are minor.

We basically don't have a council to make amalgamation anything but a failure.

thabiz

I was thinking about this washing dishes last night.

Amalgamation could work if we had the kind of councillors that were prone to seek consensus and use diplomacy to ensure an agreement on issues. But we don't have that kind of council. It's become hyper-partisan and petty (in that a councillor will hold a grudge and vote against another if that person didn't vote with him on an unrelated issue.)

So amalgamation is a failure because of council. If council could work out their differences then there would be no obsticle that they couldn't overcome and amalgamation would be a success. But if they can't come together - as they prove every session for two years - then amalgamation won't work even if the obsticles are minor.

We basically don't have a council to make amalgamation anything but a failure.

Council isn't the only problem. It also falls heavily on the people that live in the outlining areas and downtown. The needs and wants are vastly different. Car vs public transit. Low property taxes vs affordable housing, etc. Its a city divided by basic needs determined by where you live. This never did work, and it never will.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I don't know, I've been running with no cable and just Netflix for a while now and it's working out great. There's a lot of good tv shows on canadian netflix and watching an episode or two of a TV show nightly is really all the television we need.

Community, The Job, The Good Guys, Leverage, Top Gear, Bones, Sherlock Holmes etc. It's a pretty good collection and keeps us busy enough.

I'm not a sports fan though so the lack of live games doesn't really hurt, and I get all my news from the internet. Netflix is pretty crap for finding some show or movie in specific, it's great for browsing and discovering something that's fun to watch and has a lot of episodes to go through though.

Canadian Netflix has made some serious gains in the last 6 months - they are starting to get some exclusive non-american content too. So it's better, and I can see people being comfortable with it alone now - I can't do it though, so I pay the 5 bucks for the VPN and switch between both the networks with a button press - best of both worlds.

Willectro

Banned
Canadian Netflix has made some serious gains in the last 6 months - they are starting to get some exclusive non-american content too. So it's better, and I can see people being comfortable with it alone now - I can't do it though, so I pay the 5 bucks for the VPN and switch between both the networks with a button press - best of both worlds.

I agree with the gains. Still waiting for Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" on Canadian Netflix.

The VPN is a great option, but if I have to do workarounds (regardless of simplicity), I'm just going to get the content with alternate means and then I have it forever.

Blackhead

Redarse
I wish there was just some type of amnesty fee you could pay annually to pirate as much as you want. But that will never happen.

I don't know if Spotify has changed recently (I doubt it), but a while back I remember Lady Gaga complaining that she got a couple hundred dollars for a million plays. But as I mentioned earlier, artists are going to have to tour or find alternative means to make revenue. And on top of that, it seems the biggest industry complainers are the ones making the most money. Many smaller bands/artists don't care how you hear their music, so long as you hear it and maybe go to their shows. Some bands are even putting their tracks up for free. I think that artists should make a decent living off their music, but I don't care if they can't afford a castle and 3 private jets. If your sole focus for making music is money, you got into the wrong business.

In regards to TV, I don't understand why I can't watch any show that has previously aired on demand. Hell, I would even watch some advertising (much like regular TV). Last time I legally streamed a TV show (I think it was on ctv.ca) they showed the same advertisement numerous times. Do these businesses not want money? And depending on the show, the opportunity for very targeted marketing is huge.
Private copying levy

in Canada:
Blank CD-R Tax FAQ said:
Q. I have heard that the Canadian Government is taxing blank CD-Rs - is this true?

A. No, there is no tax, but yes, there is a levy (see the difference below).

NB The current levy on CD-Rs is 21¢ each.
The new levy for non-removable memory permanently embedded in digital audio recorders is $25 for each recorder with memory capacity of more than 10 gigabytes.
But:
Blank CD-R Tax FAQ said:
Q. Can I legally share music over the internet?

A. The simple answer is NO.

If you post a song on the internet, or make it available to others via a peer-to-peer network, or if you send it to someone as an email attachment or via FTP, you are considered to be making a public transmission of the work. It is also clearly not for your own private use. You would be infringing copyright unless you had explicit permission from the rights holders.

However, unless the legislation is changed or the courts interpret matters differently, it appears that making a private copy for your own use of a musical work downloaded in any manner from the internet is not an infringement of copyright. In their decision, the Copyright Board states:

The regime does not address the source of the material copied. There is no requirement in Part VIII that the source copy be a non-infringing copy. Hence, it is not relevant whether the source of the track is a pre-owned recording, a borrowed CD, or a track downloaded from the Internet.

The more complex answer to the question posed above is you cannot post a song on the internet in any manner, but you can make a private copy of any songs you find on the net.

Q. Can I make private copies of movies, audiobooks, or software?

NO. The Private Copying Regime only addresses making private copies for your own use of sound recordings of musical works.

However in Denmark:
TorrentFreak said:
Presently, the Dutch see downloading and copying movies and music for personal use as “fair use” and not punishable by law.

In return, copyright holders are compensated through a “piracy levy” on blank media such as CDr’s and writable DVDs.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1295629--rob-ford-eligible-to-run-in-by-election

Ford is eligible to run in the by-election. I have this sickening feeling that he will not win the appeal, but be right back after the by-election. Disband the GTA, the suburbs do not, and should not, speak for the core.
THE GTA DOESN'T VOTE FOR TORONTO.

643px-Greater_toronto_area_map.svg.png

None of the area outside of City of Toronto gets to vote on your mayor. What you're looking for is de-amalgamation.

Edit: I am in the camp that actually believes that if you actually let the GTA vote, you actually balance out the the core's needs: people in the GTA who commutes downtown actually would get the needs for subways, the kind of infrastructure needs the city faces, whereas people who just live and work within suburbs of Toronto don't actually interact with it.

thabiz

None of the area outside of City of Toronto gets to vote on your mayor. What you're looking for is de-amalgamation.

Edit: I am in the camp that actually believes that if you actually let the GTA vote, you actually balance out the the core's needs: people in the GTA who commutes downtown actually would get the needs for subways, the kind of infrastructure needs the city faces, whereas people who just live and work within suburbs of Toronto don't actually interact with it.

yes de-amalgamation. Poor wording on my part.

Stet

Banned

The old GTA is the new Toronto, though. We know who he means when he says GTA. He means this:

2010ElectionResults.gif

Dyno

Council isn't the only problem. It also falls heavily on the people that live in the outlining areas and downtown. The needs and wants are vastly different. Car vs public transit. Low property taxes vs affordable housing, etc. Its a city divided by basic needs determined by where you live. This never did work, and it never will.

I brought your point up at coffee break here at work (City Hall.) My supervisor brought up an interesting point of view: he thought that amalgamated Toronto is going through it's adolescence. That there are still old staff and old council that still operate under the old Toronto rules. He put forth that things might get better as time passes.

Oppo

I know what you are saying but I do find it sort of funny how militant you are about this one point. Yes we use '905ers' and GTA somewhat incorrectly but no one is really confused about who we are referring to in the context of this discussion.

thabiz

It's a good point, but i dont buy it. Scarborough for instance needs vastly different things compared to the core. There will never be enough money to go around to appease both parties.

Take the homeless problem for instance. Sure, everyone wants it taken care of, but you rarely see the homeless in scar. If its down to two items, public affordable housing in the core, and say, a promised subway to nowhere. They will vote on the subject that directly affects them. Its human nature.

Hieberrr

PRIVATE SECTOR! LOLOLOL.

It really is just mapping out what they want to do, whether it gets drafted to even get proper funding is something else entirely.

From what I heard it is going to be 66% provincial/federal and the rest is municipal.

For reference the first phase of the Big Move included Eglinton Crosstown, Sheppard East, Finch West LRTs and the replacement of the Scarborough LRT, BRT for York Region and Mississauga, a Pearson-Union link and a couple of more GO Stations. Not everything was accomplished but most of them have got funding and are being built. I'm sure most the projects in the second phase will start being built soon too.

As long as fares and fees don't go up, I'm good. Well, that and taxes. Sigh... who am I kidding.

Azih

I brought your point up at coffee break here at work (City Hall.) My supervisor brought up an interesting point of view: he thought that amalgamated Toronto is going through it's adolescence. That there are still old staff and old council that still operate under the old Toronto rules. He put forth that things might get better as time passes.

Only if we vote for Councillors who, as a part of their campaigns, pledge to be cooperative, rather than ones who scream and shout and pit one part of the city against another.

Which approach wins votes though?

If politicians have an incentive to work with each other (that is it will help get them re-elected), they will. If they have an incentive to work *against* each other (for the same reason as before), they will.

Our election system, I feel, gives councilors no good reason to work with each other as opposed to playing to some power base in their riding (typically pro low tax in the suburbs and pro spending in the core).

What you need is a mayor who can inspire people to think about the big picture, longer term, and as city builders rather than just the narrow interests. Miller managed to pull this off for a pretty long while before the garbage workers destroyed his reputation. Ford had no interest in this from the get go.

I mean it's no good for the core that Scarborough has shit transit and it's no good for Scarborough to have a bad homeless problem in the city and plenty of people in both areas realize this.

thabiz

Only if we vote for Councillors who, as a part of their campaigns, pledge to be cooperative, rather than ones who scream and shout and pit one part of the city against another.

Which approach wins votes though?

If politicians have an incentive to work with each other (that is it will help get them re-elected), they will. If they have an incentive to work *against* each other (for the same reason as before), they will.

Our election system, I feel, gives councilors no good reason to work with each other as opposed to playing to some power base in their riding.

But if councilors only HAD to look after their riding and not Toronto as a whole. We would see a lot more progress.

I know what you are saying but I do find it sort of funny how militant you are about this one point. Yes we use '905ers' and GTA somewhat incorrectly but no one is really confused about who we are referring to in the context of this discussion.
I hope no one is, but I've seen it before, and people easily confuses things.

thabiz

I hope no one is, but I've seen it before, and people easily confuses things.

I have never seen anyone think that Durham is part of the Toronto when GTA is used in conversations like this. Guess it depends on your age.

Just like I refuse to call it Kool Haus, Rogers Centre, or Sound Academy.

soultron

Banned
I have to do Xmas shopping for the first time in Toronto. I'm scurred. What are places to definitely avoid? Think the Eatons Centre will be a zoo this weekend? :C

Azih

But if councilors only HAD to look after their riding and not Toronto as a whole. We would see a lot more progress.

I don't see how you could parcel things up so small. Transit in the core affects every riding, poverty in the inner burbs affects every riding as well. Plus there's a common budget, a common police force, common emergency services.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I have never seen anyone think that Durham is part of the Toronto when GTA is used in conversations like this. Guess it depends on your age.
Slightly OT but related, I use to have fun at work when a couple of guys from Woodbridge would start talking stupidness about Toronto politics. I would shut them up by telling them to fuck off because they couldn't vote anyway. :lol

Fuzzy

So if I do this, I can use my existing Canadian account?
Yes. It doesn't matter where your account is from, all that matters is where you're connecting from. US Netflix users get the gimped Canadian version when they come to Canada on a trip.

thabiz

Fuzzy

16.20: Councillor Doug Ford blasts council for working directly with developers.
Completely different from Rob Ford having closed door meetings with Condo developers in his office. :p

Top Bottom