• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epic Tales of Penis said:
How about "Compucentre". Anyone remember that?
Of course. Not a very good store at all, in hindsight, but full of objects I desired when I was a kid.

I remember just staring at things I couldn't have, like the NeoGeo, the TurboDuo, and computers running various eye-candy game demos.

whitehawk

Banned
Flash said:
i'm only really disappointed we don't have a hulu-like service. but in all honestly even if we did, it would be a complete waste with our shit ass internet service. I'm capped at 25 gb a month. 25! god damn it, rogers.
I used this program: http://hotspotshield.com/

And it allows me to use Hulu.com and Southparkstudies.com :)

Derwind

Back when I was still an immature youngster. If we wanted to make fun of each others, we'd usually go like "Dude, you're so poor, you have to shop at B-Way"....

Unfortunately, there was a kid who was indeed impoverished and he cried.

:(

I blame society.

Derwind said:
Back when I was still an immature youngster. If we wanted to make fun of each others, we'd usually go like "Dude, you're so poor, you have to shop at B-Way"....

Unfortunately, there was a kid who was indeed impoverished and he cried.

:(

[spoiler[I blame society.[/spoiler]

Lol we all used to make fun of kids by saying they shopped at Bi-Way even though we all actually shopped there.

Derwind

crimzonflame said:
Lol we all used to make fun of kids by saying they shopped at Bi-Way even though we all actually shopped there.

This is true. XD

Love your Avy btw, Rupert the bear FTW!!!

dudeworld

lunarworks said:
Sort of like "Hey! Only we can use that word!"
Darrick_Martin.jpg

I would like to put a recommendation out for a place called Cleopatra which is at 977 Bloor St. W (Bloor & Dovercourt)

They make the most awesome falafel and beef shawarma. Their kafta kabob is great too.

The place looks like a dump and always has old guys drinking cheap beer in it - but seriously don't let that turn you off.. the food is cheap and fucking delicious!

(highest recommendation goes to the beef shawarma if you only try one thing at first)

Oppo

explodet said:
I'm sorry if this offends, but is your mother ... naw, I'm just kidding.

Canada cultureless? No frickin' way.
Is Toronto cultureless? Eh, maybe.

jeebus, with 55% of the immigrant population staying in the GTA area, I hardly think so.

that's not a crack at immigrants - I like 'em, like any good Canadian - and you can say a lot of things about Toronto but cultureless is laughable. If anything we hog more culture than we should.

char

Neo Member
i'm trying to understand this question and some of your answers, but i'm lost.

it seems websters forgot to include 'cultureless' in my dictionary

In case there are any skyscraper and/or urban planning nerds like me on here, I'll repost that photo I posted before with this new edit of the same photo to show in yellow and red where all the new buildings that are currently under construction are going to fit into the skyline once they are completed (so this is basically what the skyline will look like from this angle in 5 years):

imBd8E.jpg

imFYdS.jpg

Just for the record, I didn't make these photos. They are from the forum urbantoronto.ca by the user "Traynor"

Actually, that is a great website to learn about new developments in the city for those that find stuff like this interesting at all.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
PortTwo said:
jeebus, with 55% of the immigrant population staying in the GTA area, I hardly think so.

that's not a crack at immigrants - I like 'em, like any good Canadian - and you can say a lot of things about Toronto but cultureless is laughable. If anything we hog more culture than we should.

I agree. I wouldn't say we're 'cultureless' but we don't have a clear dominant culture...unless we're talking about American culture, which does pervade Canadian culture in general.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Whenever I travel outside of Toronto, I feel really special - I've been to many small towns a few hours outside the city, and young children will look at me like "Woah! They aren't just in movies! It's a coloured person!". It's awkward, but at the same time, makes me feel special.

In Toronto (Scarborough in particular) I am so fucking dime a dozen it's ridonk. Well unless my exact country of origin is in the mix, then it's a little unique. Still some places downtown, I feel special again.

crimzonflame said:
Flea Markets are better. Early release, $5-10 dollars cheaper plus no tax. Used games for newer releases are $30-$40 used as opposed to just $5 dollars cheaper than regular price.
You've clearly never been to Game Centre if those are your pros for Flea Markets. Also, it's downtown.

Kinitari said:
Whenever I travel outside of Toronto, I feel really special - I've been to many small towns a few hours outside the city, and young children will look at me like "Woah! They aren't just in movies! It's a coloured person!". It's awkward, but at the same time, makes me feel special.

In Toronto (Scarborough in particular) I am so fucking dime a dozen it's ridonk. Well unless my exact country of origin is in the mix, then it's a little unique. Still some places downtown, I feel special again.

Scarborough is awesome. !!! but many people do not know how big it is.

Kinitari said:
In Toronto (Scarborough in particular) I am so fucking dime a dozen it's ridonk.

I felt special growing up in Scarborough. I was always the only white person in my class!
My first 5 girlfriends were all Chinese since everybody was Asian in school.
I loved growing up that way. It really made me love this city to have such a great life growing up around other cultures and everyone got along so well with me.

jred2k

Are they those things you put your debit card in and use your PIN number?

Edit: Damn I had this tab open way too long without refreshing.

Say what you want about the shady parts of town, but they still have the best food in town and for cheap too. Toronto is so underrated when it comes to food and restaurants it aint even funny. Only thing I would say is lackluster is the pizza.

crimzonflame said:
Toronto is so underrated when it comes to food and restaurants it aint even funny.

You would be surprised. I was in New York recently with my wife and I was wearing a toque that says "TORONTO" on it in huge letters.
I couldn't believe how many New Yorkers stopped me on the street and in bars to say "I LOVE TORONTO!" and a lot them seemed to mention the food here (especially the Indian food).

It was also good to know that although the rest of Canada hates us, at least some people outside the country seem to like us.

added_time said:
You would be surprised. I was in New York recently with my wife and I was wearing a toque that says "TORONTO" on it in huge letters.
I couldn't believe how many New Yorkers stopped me on the street and in bars to say "I LOVE TORONTO!" and a lot them seemed to mention the food here (especially the Indian food).

It was also good to know that although the rest of Canada hates us, at least some people outside the country seem to like us.

Ive heard people tell me that Chinese food is better in Toronto than New York.

crimzonflame said:
Ive heard people tell me that Chinese food is better in Toronto than New York.

It is as long as you know about Scarborough and Markham. If you just stay downtown it wouldn't be (although there are still some good spots downtown)

DevelopmentArrested said:
You've clearly never been to Game Centre if those are your pros for Flea Markets. Also, it's downtown.
Don't forget their Danforth location too. Lots of hidden gems in that store.

Anyone remember "Video Connections" just outside the Eaton Centre on 210 Yonge St?

I remember them charging $5 to play SMW for a half hour on the SFC before it was released on the SNES. :lol

Roto13 said:
Food in Vancouver is better.

Just sayin'.

Not even close. I'm not really knocking it either because the food in Vancouver is pretty good but Toronto has a way better variety of awesome ethnic foods for cheap and better food at the high end too.
Vancouver is better at a couple specific things like sushi and maybe Chinese food (not by much though) but as a whole it falls short.

crimzonflame said:
Say what you want about the shady parts of town, but they still have the best food in town and for cheap too. Toronto is so underrated when it comes to food and restaurants it aint even funny. Only thing I would say is lackluster is the pizza.
Now that Cora Pizza got rid of the rats, you might want to give it a shot.

So I got a summer job at Toronto Hydro and it looks like Ill probably be staying in Mississauga this summer. Any tips from traveling from there to downtown area?

Epic Tales of Penis said:
Anyone remember "Video Connections" just outside the Eaton Centre on 210 Yonge St?

I remember them charging $5 to play SMW for a half hour on the SFC before it was released on the SNES. :lol
How can I forget? And yes, I would have paid $5 to play SMW, but I rarely got out there.

Eventually they moved inside the Eaton Centre, into the north end ghetto that no one went to.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Buba Big Guns said:
So I got a summer job at Toronto Hydro and it looks like Ill probably be staying in Mississauga this summer. Any tips from traveling from there to downtown area?
What will you be doing for Hydro?

cbox

added_time said:
In case there are any skyscraper and/or urban planning nerds like me on here, I'll repost that photo I posted before with this new edit of the same photo to show in yellow and red where all the new buildings that are currently under construction are going to fit into the skyline once they are completed (so this is basically what the skyline will look like from this angle in 5 years):

imBd8E.jpg

imFYdS.jpg

Just for the record, I didn't make these photos. They are from the forum urbantoronto.ca by the user "Traynor"

Actually, that is a great website to learn about new developments in the city for those that find stuff like this interesting at all.

This city needs more iconic buildings and not just condos... sad really, but still cool. Downtown Mississauga's core will look like dubai in the next 5-10 yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom