• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody else here have experience with Mobilicity? My wife has the unlimited plan with unlimited data on a Nexus One. She hasn't had any trouble so far, but I've read some reviews of people who have dropped calls and poor reception. Some...seem strangely sock puppetish, but I just wanted to ask the Toronto GAF community for their thoughts.

Strange story for today as well.

Was going for an interview for a really terrible 4 hour a week conversation job, and on the way back, I saw this guy asking for help. He asked a passerbyer for help, and the dude ignored him. Since I had time, I figured what the hell, why not help? So, I helped him move a table into a Starbucks, which took all of 5 minutes and I also got ten bucks out of it.

Edit: Also, for anyone looking to get an iPad 2, try Beach Mac down by the beaches. I got one there yesterday and he seemed to have a couple more in stock. Not sure who his supplier is, but he said he sold over 100 iPad 2s last week so he seems to have them. Yes, store is legit and an official Apple Care Provider or whatever the heck it is they're called.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Walking up Roncesvalles today, what an unbelievable mess it is. You can definitely see it coming together though, and those streetcar stops (when the new cars roll out) will be lovely. I'm very doubtful these contractors are going to be really replacing the sidewalks though. I swear, Toronto has the most patch-work-like-sidewalks I've ever seen. In nearly every neighborhood.

Awesome weather today too.

EvilMario said:
Walking up Roncesvalles today, what an unbelievable mess it is. You can definitely see it coming together though, and those streetcar stops (when the new cars roll out) will be lovely. I'm very doubtful these contractors are going to be really replacing the sidewalks though. I swear, Toronto has the most patch-work-like-sidewalks I've ever seen. In nearly every neighborhood.

Moving to Dundas/Roncesvalles on June 1st. Hope shit is in order by then.

I also will have to start taking the Subway to work instead of walking. :(

cbox

I think I came down with my famous 1 day flus yesterday. I was wrapped up in blankets all day, despite it being 22 outside :/

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Interrobanger said:
Moving to Dundas/Roncesvalles on June 1st. Hope shit is in order by then.

I also will have to start taking the Subway to work instead of walking. :(

Work is set to end July 1st, so.. you can expect it to creep closer to fall. But it looks like this is the year it finishes..

And morth, or south of Dundas? It's a nice neighborhood, but the closer you are to Bloor the more 'meh' it becomes. Be thankfully though, you're within walking distance of nearly everything you could want.

I live over in Swansea, but I'd kill to be living closer to Roncey. Once the construction ends, it'll be quite nice.

edit: My avatar, they've destroyed it. That EviLore..

EvilMario said:
North, or south of Dundas? It's a nice neighborhood, but the closer you are to Bloor the more 'meh' it becomes. Be thankfully though, you're within walking distance of nearly everything you could want.

I live over in Swansea, but I'd kill to be living closer to Roncey. Once the construction ends, it'll be quite nice.

North of Roncy, South of Bloor. Right across from the Loblaws/Zellers/LCBO and 1 minute to the Subway.

I live at King/Strachen at the moment so it'll be a bit of a culture shock, but I lived at Bloor/Lansdowne for 3 years prior so I know the area well. Being close to High Park is also a major bonus since I've got a dog now.

ConvenientBox said:
This city needs more iconic buildings and not just condos...

That is a funny way to put it. It implies that the use of the building (residential versus office) is what allows it to be iconic.

Actually, I think Toronto has a more iconic looking skyline than most cities because of the CN Tower / Skydome combo plus the main financial district cluster.

Also, there is nothing that says a condo can't be designed to be iconic but usually they aren't.
There are actually a lot of nice condo designs in the planning stages right now but most of that stuff is north of the waterfront around Bloor or places like that.
The unfortunate thing is that the most of the worst looking condos are right along the water which of course is the most famous view of the Toronto skyline whereas the better ones are hidden from that view.

FairyD

The Interrobanger said:
North of Roncy, South of Bloor. Right across from the Loblaws/Zellers/LCBO and 1 minute to the Subway.

I live at King/Strachen at the moment so it'll be a bit of a culture shock, but I lived at Bloor/Lansdowne for 3 years prior so I know the area well. Being close to High Park is also a major bonus since I've got a dog now.

Good ol crookdale.

Azih

Hey guys what's a good place to get some taiyaki/Bungeoppangs? There was a tiny Green Mart near my place on Yonge/Finch that had a stall that sold them but they got gobbled up by H-Mart. I get cravings and I don't know where to satisfy them any more :(

cbox

added_time said:
That is a funny way to put it. It implies that the use of the building (residential versus office) is what allows it to be iconic.

Actually, I think Toronto has a more iconic looking skyline than most cities because of the CN Tower / Skydome combo plus the main financial district cluster.

Also, there is nothing that says a condo can't be designed to be iconic but usually they aren't.
There are actually a lot of nice condo designs in the planning stages right now but most of that stuff is north of the waterfront around Bloor or places like that.
The unfortunate thing is that the most of the worst looking condos are right along the water which of course is the most famous view of the Toronto skyline whereas the better ones are hidden from that view.

No I totally love architecture, and modern condo design. Though when they are all built so close together, and they all look slightly similar, it just blurs into one glass mess. What I mean by iconic is the old gothic/art deco style buildings, like the masonic temple, the carlu.. etc.

I work at yonge/bloor and the new buildings going up there do look incredible, I just wish they looked a little less modern...

Sometimes sections of this city remind me of the city sections of the matrix, nothing that stands out.

explodet

Azih said:
Hey guys what's a good place to get some taiyaki/Bungeoppangs? There was a tiny Green Mart near my place on Yonge/Finch that had a stall that sold them but they got gobbled up by H-Mart. I get cravings and I don't know where to satisfy them any more :(
ANSWER THIS MAN

They sold these outside the old Galleria north of Yonge/Steeles but I heard that Galleria is now gone...

Man, now I want one too, damn you Azih.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Interrobanger said:

Definitely an up and coming area. There are a lot of loft-condos opening in the area, and it's definitely a great dog neighborhood. Lots of cheap eats around too, and good coffee. Enjoy! ^_^

Oppo

ConvenientBox said:
I work at yonge/bloor and the new buildings going up there do look incredible, I just wish they looked a little less modern...

Sometimes sections of this city remind me of the city sections of the matrix, nothing that stands out.
I agree with this somewhat but I do think it's getting better. I like to keep an eye on projects coming up and I'm more and more impressed with at least the aspirational plans, especially for public bids on things like waterfront revitalization and so forth.

Toronto needs to take a hard look at what Chicago did with their waterfront, it's fucking stunning, but of course we'd need a gigantic fire to pull that off the way they did...

cbox

PortTwo said:
I agree with this somewhat but I do think it's getting better. I like to keep an eye on projects coming up and I'm more and more impressed with at least the aspirational plans, especially for public bids on things like waterfront revitalization and so forth.

Toronto needs to take a hard look at what Chicago did with their waterfront, it's fucking stunning, but of course we'd need a gigantic fire to pull that off the way they did...

certainly getting better :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Toronto's water front really won't be up to par with many cities until the Gardiner is underground, which may never happen. And even then, it'll mostly be lined by condos, proving little view of the water. It feels like most people don't even think of the lake as a part of the city, which is pretty sad.

Flash

EvilMario said:

I feel bad for people who live along roncesvalles. they've been doing construction there on and off for so long now. Whenever they do construction there it benefits me because i love that detour bus (MUCH better then that dreadful lansdowne bus), but seriously... what an annoying detour for the people living on the route lol

lunarworks said:
How can I forget? And yes, I would have paid $5 to play SMW, but I rarely got out there.

Eventually they moved inside the Eaton Centre, into the north end ghetto that no one went to.
Oh ya I remember that man. They had an "auction" for a gold N64 "ZOOT" cart that they claim sold for $500.

Those guys were so awesome at getting great import shit but such crooks. :lol

added_time said:
In case there are any skyscraper and/or urban planning nerds like me on here, I'll repost that photo I posted before with this new edit of the same photo to show in yellow and red where all the new buildings that are currently under construction are going to fit into the skyline once they are completed (so this is basically what the skyline will look like from this angle in 5 years):

imBd8E.jpg

imFYdS.jpg

Just for the record, I didn't make these photos. They are from the forum urbantoronto.ca by the user "Traynor"

Actually, that is a great website to learn about new developments in the city for those that find stuff like this interesting at all.
:lol I recently bought a pre-construction condo and will be adding to that but it won't be in the pic.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This was happening across from our apartment today, but I didn't have the chance to step outside and check it out.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/04/c..._in_high_park/

2011414-IMG_5763.jpg

By the way, added_time, I take it you visit Urban Toronto a bunch? I always love the mockups on what the future skylines will look like. I've been watching the Humber Bay skyline explode for the last five years next to me down here, it's quite the change. I can't wait until a lot of the big holes are filled in downtown. There seems to be an empty lot on every other street corner waiting for a tower.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
What are peoples experiences with tekksavy? I'm thinking this is the month I switch. Me and my roommates are so damn careful about our monthly bandwidth, but it seems like the harder we try to stay under the limit, the harder it gets! I realize that's it's probably the content that's available more than anything else. When I can download nearly 10gb of game demo's just for me alone in one day, I realize how 120gb isn't enough considering things like demos, netflix and the like.

Anyway, I'm paying just about 100 for internet (when we DON'T go over), at 25mbits/sec and 120gb cap. 15mbits/sec with unlimited, for around 60 bucks sounds so much fucking better it's ridiculous, so I'm sort of worried there is a catch. Is there GAF? Cause if not, bam, switching.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kinitari said:
What are peoples experiences with tekksavy? I'm thinking this is the month I switch. Me and my roommates are so damn careful about our monthly bandwidth, but it seems like the harder we try to stay under the limit, the harder it gets! I realize that's it's probably the content that's available more than anything else. When I can download nearly 10gb of game demo's just for me alone in one day, I realize how 120gb isn't enough considering things like demos, netflix and the like.

Anyway, I'm paying just about 100 for internet (when we DON'T go over), at 25mbits/sec and 120gb cap. 15mbits/sec with unlimited, for around 60 bucks sounds so much fucking better it's ridiculous, so I'm sort of worried there is a catch. Is there GAF? Cause if not, bam, switching.

SWITCH! I've been with them over a year and have zero complaints.

I'm currently on their cable and there were a few hiccups at first (some latency issues causing high ping on games), but everything has smoothed out and I have no complaints.

I was on their DSL before and their customer service is top notch. I believe i have 250gb cap? And I don't reach it at all.

For 60 bucks a month, I believe you can get unlimited service with them. Catch is you have to get your own modem.

Quadratic

I've been with Teksavvy since October. It was a no brainer to switch from Rogers. I was paying about the same amount of money for 95GB cap. I've been a happy customer since. No probelms so far. I'm basically using the same line that I was using with Rogers. 1.5mbs down. I don't worry about download caps, so I can enjoy Netflix guilt free.

Kinitari said:

I made the switch a couple of months ago and ut was one of the best decisions i've ever made. I did have a bit of downtime after the first month (two weeks of downtime, ugh) but that was entirely Rogers' fault fucking up the cancellation date and not communicating well with Teksavvy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I guess if there's anything else to prove to you that Tek > *

No real catch! I think there was one price increase a year or two ago for DSL, but they backed that up by increasing the cap and increasing the DL speed as well. Only thing I can really think of is that you have to get your own modem, which can cost 100 bucks?

It's month by month, so if you're unhappy, you can go back to Robbers...er...Rogers.

It isn't as fast as Rogers and Bell's highest offering, but neither do you have to deal with their insanely low caps.

I have yet to see one person on this forum or otherwise have a legitimate complaint about Teksavvy, which forced them to go back to Bell and Rogers. I guess another problem you can bring up is that they're not everywhere yet. Though you're in Toronto so you'll likely have access to it.

Roto13

Kinitari said:

Basically, if you're in Toronto and your ISP isn't TekSavvy, you have the wrong ISP.

EvilMario said:
This was happening across from our apartment today, but I didn't have the chance to step outside and check it out.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/04/c..._in_high_park/

2011414-IMG_5763.jpg

By the way, added_time, I take it you visit Urban Toronto a bunch? I always love the mockups on what the future skylines will look like. I've been watching the Humber Bay skyline explode for the last five years next to me down here, it's quite the change. I can't wait until a lot of the big holes are filled in downtown. There seems to be an empty lot on every other street corner waiting for a tower.

Looks crazy. I live right at High Park and Bloor and didn't see anything when I got home.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
EM, what kinda avatar is that!? Don't you have an alternative Moogle one?

It's just temporary until I figure out another decent one. I might just go with a still-version of the fire Moogle, or I might come up with something new. We'll see!

EvilMario said:
By the way, added_time, I take it you visit Urban Toronto a bunch? I always love the mockups on what the future skylines will look like

Yes, definitely. Urbantoronto is my most visited site on the internet by far. I'm a real architecture / urban planning nerd and I'm also a huge fan of my city so the site is perfect for me.

Blackhead

Redarse
Kuro Madoushi said:
SWITCH! I've been with them over a year and have zero complaints.

I'm currently on their cable and there were a few hiccups at first (some latency issues causing high ping on games), but everything has smoothed out and I have no complaints.

I was on their DSL before and their customer service is top notch. I believe i have 250gb cap? And I don't reach it at all.

For 60 bucks a month, I believe you can get unlimited service with them. Catch is you have to get your own modem.
Could you expand on that "catch"?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
All the large companies will charge you a rental fee (as far as I know), so buying a modem vs. renting is pretty much a non-factor, in my opinion.

Willectro

Banned
I went to the Tim Burton Exhibition last night at the Bell Lightbox. The exhibit itself was pretty decent (and I'm not really a Burton fan but my girlfriend is). But it was typical Toronto level of organization. Considering the price of the tickets ($24/person iirc) and the fact that the entrance was timed on the tickets (you had to select from 30 minute intervals when you purchased tickets), the place was jammed. And apparently they could only splurge for one door for both people entering and exiting. It's too bad because I think it took away from the great art and film memorabilia on display. Some dude walked into a glass door, which was entertaining as well.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
You guys have convinced me, I'm going to call them up today and get this started.

And yeah, I pay like 12 dollars a month to rent the modem, I didn't even realize that, looked at the bill and the fact that I've been with rogers for over a year makes me feel stupid, considering I am still renting the modem, I've paid twice what it's worth.

will52 said:
(and I'm not really a Burton fan but my girlfriend is).

Why does this always seem to be the case with Tim Burton?
I went with my girl for this same reason.

I agree with you though.. even though I'm not a big fan, it was still pretty interesting.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So I called into Rogers to tell them I was cancelling (Tekksavy isn't one of those places that does it for you).

Man what an interesting experience. The customer service rep that is supposed to try and convince you to stay seemed so torn.

"If I were to offer you a discounted price, would that convince you to stay?"
"Depends on how discounted I guess. The monthly plan I am going for is 45 dollars, no modem rental, 300gb bandwidth, 15mbits down, 1up"
"Okay! Let me see what I can offer you. Hmm, well... with 20% off with your current plan, that... no that's still way too high. Okay! I see that I also have the option of waving the modem rental fee... no that's still quite a bit higher. And I see here on previous bills you've gone over the limit pretty often..."
"Yeah, the 120gb cap is what's really killing my wallet, is there anyway you can match the 300gb?"
"Oh no, not even our highest plan can match that, and even then, the price would go up a LOT more. Hmmm... well... so even with a discount and the modem rental fee waive... uh... you know I don't think there is anything more I can offer you! It was nice having you as a customer."

The fact that there is absolutely no way Rogers can come close to matching this offer, isn't that indicative of an absolutely terrible pricing scheme? I can't help but wonder why people aren't jumping ship by the goddamn millions. Even the customer service rep couldn't help but admit I was getting a much better deal, goddamn.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Can anyone recommend a really nice and unique restaurant that's on the more expensive scale? Nothing that would require dress pants or anything that fancy.

Divvy said:
Can anyone recommend a really nice and unique restaurant that's on the more expensive scale? Nothing that would require dress pants or anything that fancy.
Show up to any "expensive" restaurant in jeans that show your skivvies and you'll be promptly shown the door, dood, I don't know what you mean by "nothing that would require dress pants."

C'est What has a good reputation, but it isn't pricey. Le Papillon is a dressy-casual place that specializes in Quebecois cuisine. Five Doors North is a kitchy italian fusion place that'll blow your mind, Trevor Kitchen & Bar is swank, and Harlem has amazing food (though it's not really that expensive).

Acheron said:
I must say, much though I enjoyed the food there, it's so unique it's mainstream. When it opened it was novel and wonderful - now everyone and their brother has been there and it's losing its charm.

You could go to Noir. Nobody will see what you're wearing there.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't mean jeans and t-shirts, but we're going to do "outdoorsy" stuff right after dinner and I don't want to have to bring a change of clothes. I think I definitely want to check out Trevor's. Their chef's table sounds awesome.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kinitari said:
So I called into Rogers to tell them I was cancelling (Tekksavy isn't one of those places that does it for you).

Man what an interesting experience. The customer service rep that is supposed to try and convince you to stay seemed so torn.

"If I were to offer you a discounted price, would that convince you to stay?"
"Depends on how discounted I guess. The monthly plan I am going for is 45 dollars, no modem rental, 300gb bandwidth, 15mbits down, 1up"
"Okay! Let me see what I can offer you. Hmm, well... with 20% off with your current plan, that... no that's still way too high. Okay! I see that I also have the option of waving the modem rental fee... no that's still quite a bit higher. And I see here on previous bills you've gone over the limit pretty often..."
"Yeah, the 120gb cap is what's really killing my wallet, is there anyway you can match the 300gb?"
"Oh no, not even our highest plan can match that, and even then, the price would go up a LOT more. Hmmm... well... so even with a discount and the modem rental fee waive... uh... you know I don't think there is anything more I can offer you! It was nice having you as a customer."

The fact that there is absolutely no way Rogers can come close to matching this offer, isn't that indicative of an absolutely terrible pricing scheme? I can't help but wonder why people aren't jumping ship by the goddamn millions. Even the customer service rep couldn't help but admit I was getting a much better deal, goddamn.

Many people 'abuse' retention at the larger telcos to score better deals on everything (internet, cell phone plans, etc.). It's really the smart thing to do if you have nothing against giving them your cash.

Personally, I would rather pay a bit more and not support the smug telcos that would love nothing more than to eliminate companies like Teksavvy and proceed to drive up their prices when there becomes less and less to stop them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom