• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zips

With all the condo construction going on, does anybody know what are good areas to check into for good value condos (size/quality/location) - or houses - for somewhere around $250,000? The main requirement I think is to not be too hard/take too long (i.e. 1 hour+) to get to the busy downtown areas using public transit. Up to $300,000 might be possible to consider too.

Looking to buy in a year or two and not really sure where to start looking for good areas/value. Would a real estate agent be a good sort of person to ask about this sort of thing?

Draff

What size are you looking for? 1br + den? 2br? A colleague of mine is looking to buy near Bay and College is the going rate for a 2br is ~650k, yikes.

added_time said:
Yes, definitely. Urbantoronto is my most visited site on the internet by far. I'm a real architecture / urban planning nerd and I'm also a huge fan of my city so the site is perfect for me.

Hi five. Dunno if it's because I was raised on Sim City :p

Zips

I just want to get an idea of what reasonably-priced things I could get in that price range that aren't hovels. Actually living in the middle of downtown (bay and college) would obviously cost way more. I'm willing to travel a little bit at least to not live in an overpriced closet of a home.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kinitari said:
So I called into Rogers to tell them I was cancelling (Tekksavy isn't one of those places that does it for you).

Man what an interesting experience. The customer service rep that is supposed to try and convince you to stay seemed so torn.

"If I were to offer you a discounted price, would that convince you to stay?"
"Depends on how discounted I guess. The monthly plan I am going for is 45 dollars, no modem rental, 300gb bandwidth, 15mbits down, 1up"
"Okay! Let me see what I can offer you. Hmm, well... with 20% off with your current plan, that... no that's still way too high. Okay! I see that I also have the option of waving the modem rental fee... no that's still quite a bit higher. And I see here on previous bills you've gone over the limit pretty often..."
"Yeah, the 120gb cap is what's really killing my wallet, is there anyway you can match the 300gb?"
"Oh no, not even our highest plan can match that, and even then, the price would go up a LOT more. Hmmm... well... so even with a discount and the modem rental fee waive... uh... you know I don't think there is anything more I can offer you! It was nice having you as a customer."

The fact that there is absolutely no way Rogers can come close to matching this offer, isn't that indicative of an absolutely terrible pricing scheme? I can't help but wonder why people aren't jumping ship by the goddamn millions. Even the customer service rep couldn't help but admit I was getting a much better deal, goddamn.
Yeah. Like I said, there is NO reason for regular people to stay with bell or rogers. You get more for less, you don't support fucking rogers or bell, and the cap isn't really worth worrying.

Why haven't peoole switched?
Canadians are really fucking lazy. I'm sorry, I'm Canadian too, but it takes a lot to really push Canadians to do something.
People don't know about them.
People don't know much about the Internet and how much they should be paying.
It's not available in their area.

Those are the reasons I hear when I get frustrated with people who insist on staying with bell and rogers when there's a superior alternative. Hell, I would even pay more just to stay away from those two.

Zips said:
I just want to get an idea of what reasonably-priced things I could get in that price range that aren't hovels. Actually living in the middle of downtown (bay and college) would obviously cost way more. I'm willing to travel a little bit at least to not live in an overpriced closet of a home.
MLS listings are open to the public. Try there.

Zips said:
With all the condo construction going on, does anybody know what are good areas to check into for good value condos (size/quality/location) - or houses - for somewhere around $250,000? The main requirement I think is to not be too hard/take too long (i.e. 1 hour+) to get to the busy downtown areas using public transit. Up to $300,000 might be possible to consider too.

Looking to buy in a year or two and not really sure where to start looking for good areas/value. Would a real estate agent be a good sort of person to ask about this sort of thing?
I bought mine for $310,990...pre-construction a month ago and it's mid-town. It all depends on the size and how much you are willing to live in. Some people can live in 450 sq/ft units. I can't.

There are MANY projects on the go and many others being proposed. Get a real estate agent for sure because they can keep you updated on all the projects going on. Moreover, they can give you ideas of prices in different areas of the city.

Blackhead

Redarse
So little, so late: Canada's Gear and New Media
One potential opportunity Brown thinks has legs is that third-party internet service providers (like TekSavvy, for example) will begin to offer a paid option that will make it look as if all of a user’s traffic has an American IP address. Brown believes a service like that could really allow the smaller providers the market share to take on the larger providers like Rogers and Shaw.

Our country’s rules and regulations seem to be the real barrier for Canadians’ access to digital content that they’d like to have but can’t. Whether it’s through roadblocks put up by special interest and government or an unwillingness for those outside of Canada’s borders to spend the time and effort to get devices and content to the Canadian public, all of that has to do with how much those barriers aren’t being challenged by those that really want what they’re being denied. Only a few seem to want to do anything about it — and even fewer actually are.
Fascinating

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I would pay an extra few bucks to seem like I have an American IP. I could start watching freaking comedy central and shit when people posts links. None of this "Sorry, go to the crappy canadian site" bullcrap.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kinitari said:
I would pay an extra few bucks to seem like I have an American IP. I could start watching freaking comedy central and shit when people posts links. None of this "Sorry, go to the crappy canadian site" bullcrap.

I think hulu would be the bigger thing.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I took these pictures/render from Urban Toronto and put them into an animated gif. The first image is the Toronto skyline, 2000. The second is present day, and the third is a rendering of what the skyline should look like by 2015.

Pretty impressive growth.

TSDii.gif

dudeworld

Kinitari said:

I'm already doing this. You can do it yourself with your current ISP using a VPN. I can watch Netflix US, Hulu, etc. whenever I want.

explodet

Kinitari said:
I hate it! I hate missing out on the Stephen Colbert links!
Me too,buddy.
Here's what I used to get The Daily Show/Colbert Report working:

http://www.cynicsunlimited.com/2010...headers-plugin-to-view-blocked-video-streams/

This is the instructions for Firefox, and doesn't work for Hulu, but it's pretty painless when you want access to the Comedy Central pages. If it starts interfering with other stuff though, make sure you know how to enable/disable plugins.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Anything interesting to check out in Toronto this week?

Sometimes I feel like I've seen and done everything in this city.

Roto13

You know, apparently people with American IP addresses can't see MTV Canada videos. :p It goes both ways. (But Canada gets the shitty end of the stick. There's nothing on MTV Canada anyone would want to see anyway.)

Divvy said:
Anything interesting to check out in Toronto this week?

Sometimes I feel like I've seen and done everything in this city.

Depends what you like I guess. I'm going to see the Pixies play a concert at Massey Hall tonight. HYPE!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Roto13 said:
You know, apparently people with American IP addresses can't see MTV Canada videos. :p It goes both ways. (But Canada gets the shitty end of the stick. There's nothing on MTV Canada anyone would want to see anyway.)
Yeah...somehow I doubt they're crying over that.

Divvy

added_time said:
Depends what you like I guess. I'm going to see the Pixies play a concert at Massey Hall tonight. HYPE!

Oh I dunno, anything new would be nice. Maybe I'll check out some of the stage shows.

dudeworld

Roto13 said:

Not when you've got 2 routers set up, one with the American IP, and one with your regular IP. I use the regular one all the time until I want to watch Netflix, Hulu, etc.

So even though I wouldn't want to watch MTV, I still can.

Divvy said:
Oh I dunno, anything new would be nice. Maybe I'll check out some of the stage shows.

I've been going to the symphony a lot lately. I always avoided going because I thought you had to dress up. Not only do you not have to dress up, tickets for people under 35 years old are only $12. Nice.
I am really into music though. Any kind.

denomes

added_time said:
I've been going to the symphony a lot lately. I always avoided going because I thought you had to dress up. Not only do you not have to dress up, tickets for people under 35 years old are only $12. Nice.

That's pretty interesting. Where and when?

Divvy

added_time said:

Cool, will check it out. I was there for a Disney music thing a while back, would definitely like to go again.

Firestorm

BigJonsson said:
Ugh

Where should I go to watch hockey tonight, what bar

They are all starting to feel the exact same lol
I'm so happy I found a pub in Waterloo with a sizable Canucks fanbase =) Probably all UW students / RIM employees from Vancouver.

Boogie

EvilMario said:
I took these pictures/render from Urban Toronto and put them into an animated gif. The first image is the Toronto skyline, 2000. The second is present day, and the third is a rendering of what the skyline should look like by 2015.

Pretty impressive growth.

TSDii.gif

Where's that pic being taken from? Casa Loma?

and as much as I generally do like the city's skyline growth in the past 10 years, one part that I dislike is thus:

when I was a kid/teen visiting Toronto, it was quite the sight coming into downtown on the Gardner and seeing the Skydome + CN Tower prominently up ahead.

Whereas the Dome has long since become obscured by condos. You don't stop development because of a nostalgia for an image of the city, but it's just something I miss.

Boogie said:
Where's that pic being taken from? Casa Loma?

It's taken from a condo right beside Winston Churchill Park. It's just slightly north of Casa Loma. Very close to the castle really.

Firestorm said:
I'm so happy I found a pub in Waterloo with a sizable Canucks fanbase =) Probably all UW students / RIM employees from Vancouver.

The Leafs have sucked for so long that you could probably find a sizable fanbase for just about any team here.

There is a bar right by where I live called "Kilgours" that is a Montreal Canadiens fan bar. I always go watch Leafs-Habs games there and I cheer really loudly when the Leafs score. I do it without moving my face and I wear a red shirt though so they can never figure out who is doing it.

Vhalyar

Anyone know where I can get some nice lunch specials for 10-15$ around Adelaide/Spadina? With Chinatown close by, I imagine that there should be some good places to eat out on a budget.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Vhalyar said:
Anyone know where I can get some nice lunch specials for 10-15$ around Adelaide/Spadina? With Chinatown close by, I imagine that there should be some good places to eat out on a budget.
Hah, if you can stomach it, you can get really cheap lunches at Chinatown Centre. The smaller restaurants on Dundas are also usually cheaper than the ones on Spadina as well.

Of course, if you're not into Chinese, then that probably won't help you out that much.

Vhalyar said:

That's where I work too and I go out for lunch almost every day.

What do you want to eat?

The Interrobanger said:
Trained in what.

undergraduate in elec eng, master in biomed eng., master in device eng. and phd biomedical eng. (in process :p, almost there sorry) past work exp: research eng & research officer

Kraftwerk

FlyingTeacup said:
undergraduate in elec eng, master in biomed eng., master in device eng. and phd biomedical eng. past work exp: research eng & research officer

o__o

You have an IQ of 500 I assume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom