• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.
explodet said:
I'm sorry if this offends, but is your mother ... naw, I'm just kidding.

Canada cultureless? No frickin' way.
Is Toronto cultureless? Eh, maybe.
Toronto has so many cultures that it is a culture unto itself. Is that meta?

No, we're not soulless and cultureless. But the Yanks can keep Celine. We don't really want her back.

Roto13

A new GameStop has opened on Yonge near Dundas Square, across from the Eaton Centre. It's pretty huge and right now it has a bunch of used last gen games for really low prices. Probably games other stores don't have room for. I imagine this won't last long, but I got Tony Hakw's Pro Skater 4 for $1, I-Ninja and Spider-Man 2 for $2 each, and Dragon Ball Z Sagas for $3. Probably worth checking out. (I'd still rather shop at Game Centre. :p)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
When the Gamestop opened near Bathurst/Bloor a couple years ago, it had a lot of older titles as well. Go now before this store because another sterile, overpriced, corporate cutout.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Roto13 said:
A new GameStop has opened on Yonge near Dundas Square, across from the Eaton Centre. It's pretty huge and right now it has a bunch of used last gen games for really low prices. Probably games other stores don't have room for. I imagine this won't last long, but I got Tony Hakw's Pro Skater 4 for $1, I-Ninja and Spider-Man 2 for $2 each, and Dragon Ball Z Sagas for $3. Probably worth checking out. (I'd still rather shop at Game Centre. :p)
Was there yesterday just as they were preparing to open up. Not sure whh there though...there's one just inside...

Roto13

Kuro Madoushi said:
Was there yesterday just as they were preparing to open up. Not sure whh there though...there's one just inside...
Yeah, it's pretty weird, with the EB Games just inside the Eaton Centre across the street, which probably already got enough competition from the HMV like two stores over. I'd say that EB Games isn't long for this world. The GameStop is going to cannibalize it.

Then again, that HMV has survived with the big giant HMV store almost on the opposite corner on Yonge and Dundas.

Flash

Charred Greyface said:
http://cantada.ca/ — Tracking the stuff you can't use in Canada

Didn't realize how bad you guys had it...

i'm only really disappointed we don't have a hulu-like service. but in all honestly even if we did, it would be a complete waste with our shit ass internet service. I'm capped at 25 gb a month. 25! god damn it, rogers.

Blackhead

Redarse
Flash said:
i'm only really disappointed we don't have a hulu-like service. but in all honestly even if we did, it would be a complete waste with our shit ass internet service. I'm capped at 25 gb a month. 25! god damn it, rogers.
0_o Some people use that amount on their mobile phone!
Is it possible to claim you are a SOHO and request a business internet plan?

Roto13

Charred Greyface said:
http://cantada.ca/ — Tracking the stuff you can't use in Canada

Didn't realize how bad you guys had it...
I wish we had Hulu. Canadian Netflix has a smaller selection than American Netflix but it's pretty new so that's probably to be expected anyway. What I really want is Pandora or at least a free Last.fm. I used Pandora for a while before it was blocked in Canada. :p

If you're in the Toronto area and your ISP isn't TekSavvy, you're doing it wrong.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I long await the day that Skype Callin numbers are available in Canada. But that'll never happen with Canada's idiotic, keep foreign competition out (while being ass raped by Canadian companies) stance.

Thankfully, for a lot of these merchants, I have a US bank account and address I can ship to if need be.. so that's not really a big deal. Just more of a pain.

Roto13 said:
A new GameStop has opened on Yonge near Dundas Square, across from the Eaton Centre.
These corporate game stores are depressing. I don't know why anyone would be excited about a new one opening.

Each and every one of them is the exact same.

In the '90s each town seemed to have it own indie game shop, and they were all different and exciting in their own way. Some were legendary. Now, aside from big cities, there's just big corporate stores. :/

lunarworks said:
These corporate game stores are depressing. I don't know why anyone would be excited about a new one opening.

Each and every one of them is the exact same.

In the '90s each town seemed to have it own indie game shop, and they were all different and exciting in their own way. Some were legendary. Now, aside from big cities, there's just big corporate stores. :/

But this now means I don't have to go inside Eaton Centre to go to a Gamestop.

Dyno

Roto13 said:
Yeah, it's pretty weird, with the EB Games just inside the Eaton Centre across the street, which probably already got enough competition from the HMV like two stores over. I'd say that EB Games isn't long for this world. The GameStop is going to cannibalize it.

Then again, that HMV has survived with the big giant HMV store almost on the opposite corner on Yonge and Dundas.

I was in the HMV and they've closed down the lower level and the south wing. I don't know if that means anything but they could be phasing out.

The place I like to get new and used games is Game Shack at the lower floor of The Atruim (Yonge or Bay just north of Dundas.) it's a small mom-and-pop-shop but they treat you well. The big companies get enough money. If Game Shack closes down then gaming is all run by big business in the downtown.

Game Shack had copies of Demon's Souls when all the other big boxes never even heard of it. Strictly for the heads!

DoctorWho said:
But this now means I don't have to go inside Eaton Centre to go to a Gamestop.
That's like saying "But this now means I don't need two pieces of stale bread to eat a shit sandwich."

The Eaton Centre is hardly the worst part of that shopping experience.

I'm also questioning why you'd want to go to a GameStop, when there's a Future Shop, Best Buy, and a couple of indie game shops within walking distance.

Dyno

Flash said:

You seriously need to look into Techsavvy dude.

EDIT: Beaten by a man who knows.

Roto13

added_time said:
Game shack is awesome!

What is your take on Game Centre at Yonge and Charles? Is it any good?
I didn't even know Game Shack existed. I'll have to check it out. Maybe I'll take a walk down there tomorrow if it's nice out. :p

Game Centre is great. Except for checking out GameStop the other day for their new-store dirt-cheap last gen games, I shop at Game Centre for used games exclusively. Even a lot of their new games are cheaper than other places.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
There was some other game store...near the ROM between Eaton's and Spadina along Dundas that also closed. I don't remember them offering any good, but I guess it's just another nail in the coffin for mom and pop game stores.

Simply put, they may be nicer and more knowledgeable, but I don't need their expertise for gaming crap, I got my own. I'm in it for the price and convenience, which, unfortunately, Gamestop/EB/Futureshop/Bestbuy offer.

Though I will spread the love of videogamesplus.ca

edit: aw FUCK...should've taken my own advice and gotten my 3DS bundle from them. Fast shipping, screen protector, launch game for 299? fucking EB Games....

Brinbe

Yeah, I saw that new gamestop this past weekend when I was walking home from the Jays game... kinda puzzled like y'all since there was one right in the EC...

Anyway, luckily I only live five mins from Game Centre. Definitely the best store in the city.

Kuro Madoushi said:
There was some other game store...near the ROM between Eaton's and Spadina along Dundas that also closed. I don't remember them offering any good, but I guess it's just another nail in the coffin for mom and pop game stores.

Simply put, they may be nicer and more knowledgeable, but I don't need their expertise for gaming crap, I got my own. I'm in it for the price and convenience, which, unfortunately, Gamestop/EB/Futureshop/Bestbuy offer.

I don't see Game Centre, Game Shack, A&C Games, Video Games Plus or Gamerama closing up anytime soon. Even though I don't like Gamerama, they've managed to stay open despite an EB being located right above them. I actually prefer the EB in this case... *shrugs*.

Game Centre is fantastic. My favourite game store in the entire city.

There are other mom & pop stores scattered around the city as well. One at Dufferin and Bloor is kind of hidden and there is another near Roncesvalle. In fact, I think there is a mom & pop store for every Gamestop/EB that I know.

Roto13

Kuro Madoushi said:

edit: aw FUCK...should've taken my own advice and gotten my 3DS bundle from them. Fast shipping, screen protector, launch game for 299? fucking EB Games....
Are you talking about A & C Games? I never got around to checking that place out, but they post their inventory on their website and it looked pretty freaking huge. I didn't realized it had closed down. EDIT: Oh, wait, that wouldn't be A & C. Nevermind.

Also, GameStop/EB/etc. cheaper than Game Centre? Are you high?

Roto13 said:
Are you talking about A & C Games? I never got around to checking that place out, but they post their inventory on their website and it looked pretty freaking huge. I didn't realized it had closed down. EDIT: Oh, wait, that wouldn't be A & C. Nevermind.

Also, GameStop/EB/etc. cheaper than Game Centre? Are you high?

Yeah, Game Centre tends to be at least $5 cheaper on everything and they have a great used selection. Going to check them out after work. Might finally grab Pilotwings for my 3DS.

Kuro Madoushi said:

Gamestop/EB? Convenience? Maybe. Price? No way.

What I like about indie shops, besides the friendliness and knowledge, is the selection. You're more likely to find less common games and accessories in those places. They're typically run by enthusiasts, so they cater to enthusiasts. Plus, their pricing on used games is, on average, much better.

Really, though, what's a bigger threat to these shops is eBay. Dorks would prefer not to leave their house to go in search of games they can't find on a quick visit to a corporate store.

Roto13

I'll tell you one indie game store that deserves to close. B. Zone. It's just down the street from Game Centre and the prices are completely dumb. I went in there on Boxing Day and their sale prices were basically what you'd find even at places like EB and GameStop on a regular day. I've never seen a customer in there and I don't know how they manage to stay open. They must be selling drugs in the back or something.

Roto13 said:
I'll tell you one indie game store that deserves to close. B. Zone. It's just down the street from Game Centre and the prices are completely dumb. I went in there on Boxing Day and their sale prices were basically what you'd find even at places like EB and GameStop on a regular day. I've never seen a customer in there and I don't know how they manage to stay open. They must be selling drugs in the back or something.

I hate going in there because no one else is in there. It's just me and the sales person standing right there. I hate places where I constantly feel like I'm being watched.

Roto13

DoctorWho said:
I hate going in there because no one else is in there. It's just me and the sales person standing right there. I hate places where I constantly feel like I'm being watched.
Ha ha ha ha, I know exactly what you mean. xP I feel the same way in there.

Anyone listen to the Fan 590? I wish they would take this Andrew Krystal guy off the air. He has some of the worst topics ever.

His current topic: Do men/women reporters get turned on when doing interviews in the dressing room?

Firestorm

lunarworks said:
Gamestop/EB? Convenience? Maybe. Price? No way.

What I like about indie shops, besides the friendliness and knowledge, is the selection. You're more likely to find less common games and accessories in those places. They're typically run by enthusiasts, so they cater to enthusiasts. Plus, their pricing on used games is, on average, much better.

Really, though, what's a bigger threat to these shops is eBay. Dorks would prefer not to leave their house to go in search of games they can't find on a quick visit to a corporate store.
EB Games is where I was getting my games at 25% - 50% off on day 1. Not to mention their free rentals with gaming guarantees. They have unbeatable prices if you shop smart.

Roto13

Firestorm said:
EB Games is where I was getting my games at 25% - 50% off on day 1. Not to mention their free rentals with gaming guarantees. They have unbeatable prices if you shop smart.
How? With trade-ins? That's not shopping smart. Those are a ripoff.

Roto13 said:

Actually, the power trades are incredible deals if you know what you're doing. I've traded games in 1 for 1 and he's absolutely right about gaming guarantees too. If you know what you're doing, EB/Gamestop can be a great place to shop.

DevelopmentArrested said:
lol @ shopping anywhere for games in Toronto other than Game Centre.

Flea Markets are better. Early release, $5-10 dollars cheaper plus no tax. Used games for newer releases are $30-$40 used as opposed to just $5 dollars cheaper than regular price.

Firestorm

Roto13 said:
How are they a rip-off? 80% of the games I've traded in have probably been at a higher price than I bought them at and most of them were around the same or more than I could have got on Craigslist but without any of the hassle. EB Games is convenient and cheap if you're a smart shopper.

Was just in game centre. Got 4 streetpasses a ssfiv fight and they had dragon quest ix for $20. Plus all of their 3ds games are $5 cheaper.

Magnus

The power trades and gaming guarantees are the best deals, hands down. People gotta take their Gamestop Hate Blinders off and realize they can reap great things from their ridiculous trade programs.

Roto13

I like how Pizza Pizza here is like Starbucks or Blenz in Vancouver. They're on every other corner downtown. :p

The view from Winston Churchill Park:

imBd8E.jpg

I ♥ Toronto

added_time said:

imBd8E.jpg

I ♥ Toronto

Is that the view from the East Side of the city? Despite being born in Scarborough, I've never spent much time on the East Side. I'm all West Side.

DoctorWho said:
Is that the view from the East Side of the city? Despite being born in Scarborough, I've never spent much time on the East Side. I'm all West Side.

I was born in Scarborough too! (moved to the Annex now though)

This park is at St.Clair and Spadina so it's slightly west.

Firestorm

I was in Scarborough last Saturday. So many goddamn Tamil people. Was scary. Not used to being amongst my kind. Need some kinda Chinese area to feel more at home.

added_time said:

imBd8E.jpg

I ♥ Toronto

DoctorWho said:

Facepalm.gif!

Remember, the CN tower stands always closer to the lake compared to the rest of the skyline of the city. And the Lake is ALWAYS on the SOUTH of the city...so seriously, not to sound like a jack ass but it's not hard to tell where photos like these are taken from.

cool pic BTW.

Roto13 said:
I like how Pizza Pizza here is like Starbucks or Blenz in Vancouver. They're on every other corner downtown. :p

I hate Pizza Pizza, I wouldn't touch that shit with a ten foot pole, Pizza Nova, or Amatos on the other hand....

Derwind

I have some really excellent pictures of Toronto from 2008-09 but its on my Micro SD and I can't find the adapter. T_T

I mean for being amateurish photo's, they are pretty darn good I must say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom