• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Presco

Kraftwerk said:
I have let my hair grow over winter. Now I'm looking for a good place to get my hair cut. Someone recommended House of Lords.

What say you Toronto-Gaf?

If you're still looking...Blood and Bandages is a great little place. It's on College just west of Ossington. Old school and tiny. Highly recommended.

Dyno

added_time said:
It's just the Metropolitan area of the city of Toronto. Every city has a metro area.. like New York or Chicago or wherever. It's a basic dense city surrounded by suburbs and less dense smaller cities that are linked economically and socially with the main central city. The growth of the cities in the GTA is definitely linked to the growth of Toronto. Think of all the people that drive into the main city to work for example.

more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_area

So comutting lies at its heart. Downtown Toronto is surrounded by suburban areas and former cities (North York, Scarborough, Etobicoke, East York) and there is commuting amongst those regions but in twenty years of work I've never met anyone who lives in Oshawa and commutes into Toronto. That would be a crazy drive every day and hardly efficient. It just seems like a very old fashioned idea what with all the density that's occurred.

Dyno

Presco said:
If you're still looking...Blood and Bandages is a great little place. It's on College just west of Ossington. Old school and tiny. Highly recommended.

If you're downtown then I recommend the Terminal Barbershop on Bay St. just north of Dundas. It's been there for nearly 100 years and it's still an older than old-school place for men's hair care. The barbers are all masters and they shave as well, which is a treat you shouldn't miss.

It's a rare man experience that's mostly disappeared from our society.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
whitehawk said:
I got accepted to University of Toronto :)
Good luck!

Though from one UofT Grad to a freshman, let me tell you to not only make full use of what they offer you, but to also make sure you're going into it with a plan.

If you NEED a class to complete your degree, bitch, complain, whine, moan, petition, get your parents involved ANYTHING! UofT is fucking stupid when it comes to registration and the use of their retarded ROSI system. I had to wait two years to get into a class I needed and when I asked some freshmen how the fuck they got in, all I got was "my dad complained"

Depending on what stream you're in "humanities, social science, sciences" make sure you get the required crap out of the way first. My major was English, so I had to take a social science course and science course as well. Definitely get that out of the way.

Also depending on what you're taking, I also might suggest taking 4 classes a year and maybe one in the summer. I took 5 a year for two years and was utterly burnt out. Taking 4 and one in the summer for my last two years helped immensely.

Schedule a meeting with one of your college's reps and do whatever you can to hammer out a scholarship/funding/bursary/etc. A big regret of mine is knowing I could've had a big chunk of tuition and expenses covered had I bothered to arse myself to talk and push them. My friend, whose family was on welfare, had a ton of support from UofT in terms of money. And they even 'forgave' him the rest of the amount owed. So he's 30 with no tuition and working as an accountant with a designation (forgot which) in an oil company.

Me? I wanted to go to teacher's college. Unless you want to teach science, math, or French, I recommend you...don't :p

Firestorm

Dyno said:
I really don't understand what binds these places together. If we share no government, infrastructure, education, or other social services then what does GTA even mean? Is it just an empty saying because there is nothing that places like Oshawa and Halton Hills share. They even call those areas "Duram Region" and "Halton Region" as if they are entities to themselves.

What purpose does that Greater Toronto Area moniker provide?
"What can I easily access via public transportation" is how i think of the Metro Vancouver / GVR name. Maybe same for GTA

Dyno

Firestorm said:
"What can I easily access via public transportation" is how i think of the Metro Vancouver / GVR name. Maybe same for GTA

Yeah it could be as simple as where VIA rail winds up going. Not really a tie that binds though.

Roto13

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Seems like the point of the protest is going way over your heads, guys.
Certainly not nearly as far as the point of the comment (and just how much value it holds in the first place) is going over the sluts' heads.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Roto13 said:
Certainly not nearly as far as the point of the comment (and just how much value it holds in the first place) is going over the sluts' heads.
There was already a whole thread about how obnoxious and useless the comment was to begin with.

Roto13

SpeedingUptoStop said:
There was already a whole thread about how obnoxious and useless the comment was to begin with.
Yes, I remember. It was also about how stupid it was to be outraged by it, and how it's not insensible to take precautions to reduce how much of a target you are for crimes, even if the criminal is always at fault.

Dyno said:
So comutting lies at its heart. Downtown Toronto is surrounded by suburban areas and former cities (North York, Scarborough, Etobicoke, East York) and there is commuting amongst those regions but in twenty years of work I've never met anyone who lives in Oshawa and commutes into Toronto. That would be a crazy drive every day and hardly efficient. It just seems like a very old fashioned idea what with all the density that's occurred.
Really? I know lots. And those who commute in from Hamilton, Kitchener, and Barrie. While you may think that it's old-fashioned, the practice has been growing over the past few decades given the popularity of suburbs as living hubs.

And given GO Transit's ridership, I'd say there's about a hundred thousand people commuting in using GO every day. Plus the ...how many millions? Of rides on the TTC? If even a quarter of those come from the far reaches, then there's a substantial number commuting in. And then there's drivers...

Consider also that housing prices in the 416 are substantially higher per square foot than in the 905, and the services that are offered by Durham, York, Peel, and Halton regions (et al) and their counties/towns within that the City of Toronto proper isn't able to offer to the same standard because of the differences in the tax base, and the differences in socioeconomic status. Also remember: it wasn't the GTA that had a massive garbage strike, it was just Toronto.

So commuting in from the burbs or surrounding areas isn't so antiquated, and is in fact more practical for many families than living south of Steeles, west of Rouge, and east of the 427.

Blackhead

Redarse
Are there recommendations for Toronto related apps on iOS, BB OS, webOS, WP7 and Android in this thread?

Listed the mobile OS in order of relevance to me

Firestorm

Actually, Blackberry apps useful for visitors to Toronto would be cool for me too. Preferably direct DL from a mobile site rather than App World.

TTC Declared an Essential Service

Transit strikes have been banned in Toronto.

Queen's Park voted 68-9 in favor of the Essential Services Bill on Tuesday.

The bill makes good on a campaign promise by Mayor Rob Ford.

Ford had wanted the bill to be passed into law before the union contract expires tomorrow, but needed provincial approval.

Supporters say transit strikes in Toronto cost the city an estimated $50 million a day.

Critics, however, say the legislation will cost taxpayers more in the long run because contract disputes will go to arbitration and be resolved with bigger raises.

In the wake of Wednesday's vote New Democrat Peter Kormos, whose party voted against the bill, told CP24 the legislation is a "full frontal attack on democracy,".

Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 113 president Bob Kinnear said he'd continue to fight the legislation.

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110330/110330_ttc/20110330/?hub=CP24Home

firehawk12 said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/03/31/ford-mcguinty-transit659.html

Meanwhile, McGuinty government to spend 8.4 billion on an Eglinton subway line.

Jesus, this city is descending into madness.

I preferred Transit City as it would serve much more of the citizens (especially in poor areas) but at this point they need to start building ANYTHING right away.
The city is growing very quickly and if they don't start building new transit lines somewhere to ease the congestion (on subways and roads) then it's gonna get really ugly soon.

My biggest worry is that this Eglinton line gets started and then the Conservatives win the upcoming election and axe the funding for it just like they did last time when Mike Harris was elected.

This plan isn't ideal but at least it's something. Now go start building it right fucking now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
God, I hope this plan is cancelled by someone. That would be sweet justice. :lol

At this point, they might as well give everyone a car with that 8.4 billion because that's about how cost effective this plan will be.

Presco

Charred Greyface said:
Are there recommendations for Toronto related apps on iOS, BB OS, webOS, WP7 and Android in this thread?

Listed the mobile OS in order of relevance to me

A few I use on iOS:

The Best of Toronto

AroundMe (works for any city)

TTCNavigator

firehawk12 said:
God, I hope this plan is cancelled by someone. That would be sweet justice.

The problem with cancelling every bad plan though is that it makes nothing happen. I would rather get any new subway/streetcar lines than nothing.
Nothing is exactly what we will get if this is cancelled... it's not like if this is cancelled then something better will be built in place of it. Nothing will be.

I would say any subway / streetcar would help at this point even if it's not at all the best option (which this clearly isn't)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What's that saying? Cutting off your own nose in order to spite your face? Yeah, it's a solution, but if everyone agrees that it provides shitty service and is a waste of money, why would we do this?

And of course, this just gives everyone outside of Toronto more reason to hate the city. :p

firehawk12 said:
What's that saying? Cutting off your own nose in order to spite your face?

Yeah, I think I'm not really in disagreement with you about the actual plan.. I just know how the 3 levels of government never play nice with each other so I've learned that when it comes to transit, it's best to take what you can get and run!

The really stupid thing about this plan is that they could save billions of dollars just by making the parts of Eglinton that aren't downtown above ground instead of tunneled.
But Rob Ford is a fucking goof that only thinks about how an above ground rail will block his precious car.

imDwiU.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Really, the TTC union did this to themselves.

I'm all for fighting for your rights and striking when things are unfair.

BUT WHEN YOU STRIKE EVERY SINGLE MOTHER FUCKING TIME?!

I agree you shouldn't be working when you're not even sure what you're going to get in terms of pay and benefits, but I don't see pay or benefits going 'down'. It's usually a matter of how much increase in pay you're going to get. Is it REALLY that unreasonable to ask you to work the current contract while another one is being hammered out in good faith? This is why I always felt the union acted disingenuously.

Contract done. Give us a better contract or else.
How about this instead?
No.
Time's running out, how about this?
FUCK YOU STRIKE TIME ASSHOLES!

Since discussion seems to have moved over from the Ford vs. Smitherman thread, I guess I should post this here...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/03/31/toronto-lrt-penalties524.html

Toronto is currently on the hook for at least $49 million for cancelling the Transit City light rail plan, says the head the regional transportation agency tasked with implementing Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's new transit plan.

That outlay is likely to rise, said Bruce McQuaig, the CEO of Metrolinx. The city would have to pay for any penalties incurred for breaking or altering contracts secured in the previous Transit City plan, he confirmed.

"$49 million is what would be known at this point in time and then there would be additions based on how the discussions go with some of the suppliers," he told reporters Thursday.

Part of that figure includes the $8 to 9 million committed to planning the now cancelled Finch Avenue West light rail line, he said.

Respect for taxpayer dollars, right here.

added_time said:
The really stupid thing about this plan is that they could save billions of dollars just by making the parts of Eglinton that aren't downtown above ground instead of tunneled.
But Rob Ford is a fucking goof that only thinks about how an above ground rail will block his precious car.

imDwiU.jpg

Woah, woah, woah, hold the bulldozer there. The LRT at Eglinton absolutely has to be underground -- it's too tight as it is, a rail in both directions would make it infinitely worse than St. Clair.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Really, the TTC union did this to themselves.

I'm all for fighting for your rights and striking when things are unfair.

BUT WHEN YOU STRIKE EVERY SINGLE MOTHER FUCKING TIME?!

I agree you shouldn't be working when you're not even sure what you're going to get in terms of pay and benefits, but I don't see pay or benefits going 'down'. It's usually a matter of how much increase in pay you're going to get. Is it REALLY that unreasonable to ask you to work the current contract while another one is being hammered out in good faith? This is why I always felt the union acted disingenuously.

Contract done. Give us a better contract or else.
How about this instead?
No.
Time's running out, how about this?
FUCK YOU STRIKE TIME ASSHOLES!
Now that they're an essential service as classified by law, they can milk the city and management for even more money in pay raises every time their contracts come up for renewal.

How d'you like your strikes now?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
added_time said:
Yeah, I think I'm not really in disagreement with you about the actual plan.. I just know how the 3 levels of government never play nice with each other so I've learned that when it comes to transit, it's best to take what you can get and run!

imDwiU.jpg
Someone commented that Toronto is the only city in the world where the public transit strategy is planned around putting more cars on the street and it's so fucking true. I hate this city sometimes.

BladeWorker said:
Now that they're an essential service as classified by law, they can milk the city and management for even more money in pay raises every time their contracts come up for renewal.

How d'you like your strikes now?
Yup. In the long term, wages and benefits will go up because negotiators tend to send with unions who do not have the ability to strike. Just look at the police budget.

typo said:
Woah, woah, woah, hold the bulldozer there. The LRT at Eglinton absolutely has to be underground -- it's too tight as it is, a rail in both directions would make it infinitely worse than St. Clair.

The Eglinton LRT was always going to be underground all the way from Jane Street in the west to Laird in the East. But out in the far reaches of Scarborough/Etobicoke it was to be above ground since it is far less busy out there. That was the original plan.

So the only thing that changed in this new stupid Ford plan is now the least busy stretches (west of Jane and east of Laird) are also to be underground which doubles the cost of the line and makes it so we can't afford to build anything other than this one line.

added_time said:
The Eglinton LRT was always going to be underground all the way from Jane Street in the west to Laird in the East. But out in the far reaches of Scarborough/Etobicoke it was to be above ground since it is far less busy out there. That was the original plan.

So the only thing that changed in this new stupid Ford plan is now the least busy stretches (west of Jane and east of Laird) are also to be underground which doubles the cost of the line and makes it so we can't afford to build anything other than this one line.

Okay, you made me panic for a second.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kuro Madoushi said:
Eh, one would think that if this benefited the ttc that much, they wouldn't be complaining about this.
No union wants their rights curbed. Besides, work to rule is just as bad a strike - you must have remembered the crappiness of all the teacher strike actions way back when.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
added_time said:

Yes. The Eglinton LRT was perfect, and Transit City was actually something. Jane LRT would have been pretty critical for a neighborhood where families that don't make $80k per year can actually afford a house with a yard.

They better start digging the Eglinton portion right now because if Ontario has a new (Conservative) Premier soon, it could easily be scrapped. And we've already filled in an Eglinton Subway once.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
firehawk12 said:
No union wants their rights curbed. Besides, work to rule is just as bad a strike - you must have remembered the crappiness of all the teacher strike actions way back when.
Pfft, you were there too, you tell me. Though I think the teachers were unethical by bringing politics into the classroom.

I still think anyone should be able to strike, but again the TTC hasn't shown a willingness to negotiate in good faith.

EvilMario said:
Yes. The Eglinton LRT was perfect, and Transit City was actually something. Jane LRT would have been pretty critical for a neighborhood where families that don't make $80k per year can actually afford a house with a yard.

They better start digging the Eglinton portion right now because if Ontario has a new (Conservative) Premier soon, it could easily be scrapped. And we've already filled in an Eglinton Subway once.
The St. Clair experience with LRT under the TransitCity plan was a failure for every mom and pop shop along the central strip. There was no planning whatsoever for the traffic disruption along the corridor that still exists today, no means of economic recovery, and in the meantime, the highest friggen business taxes in ...well...pretty much the entire country, while the construction of the above-ground LRT completely disabled the ability of prospective customers to get around. Now, the strip between Bathurst and Dufferin looks pretty much like shit, and there's now graffiti all over the place, people chucking garbage out their front doors, and a generally skeezy feeling, particularly in the Oakwood-Winona block. Residents on the north side have complained that they feel cut off from the south, and south from north.

Don't get me wrong, I vastly prefer streetcars over bus routes. But don't kid yourself, LRT is not perfect and TransitCity failed local businesses. Subways are definitely more expensive, but you need fewer of them because they accommodate more people, they last longer, and once constructed do not obstruct traffic.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
BladeWorker said:
The St. Clair experience with LRT under the TransitCity plan was a failure for every mom and pop shop along the central strip. There was no planning whatsoever for the traffic disruption along the corridor that still exists today, no means of economic recovery, and in the meantime, the highest friggen business taxes in ...well...pretty much the entire country, while the construction of the above-ground LRT completely disabled the ability of prospective customers to get around. Now, the strip between Bathurst and Dufferin looks pretty much like shit, and there's now graffiti all over the place, people chucking garbage out their front doors, and a generally skeezy feeling, particularly in the Oakwood-Winona block. Residents on the north side have complained that they feel cut off from the south, and south from north.

Don't get me wrong, I vastly prefer streetcars over bus routes. But don't kid yourself, LRT is not perfect and TransitCity failed local businesses. Subways are definitely more expensive, but you need fewer of them because they accommodate more people, they last longer, and once constructed do not obstruct traffic.

They can not reach nearly the number of people LRT can though. A subway along Eglinton, as in the original plan makes sense, in the high density areas.. and Eglinton being a mess to drive on as it is. But why extend the streetcar to underground, even in wider, less populated areas of Eglinton where riding above ground would be no issue?

Jane LRT being converted to a subway would be pretty laughable, considering the neighborhood. It would be like running a subway up Roncesvalles. It might be preferable to drivers, but the cost for a short stretch that benefits greatly from streetcars would be silly. The neighborhood could really benefit from it. Ideally, streetcars would be like Spadina, where they would have a barrier and right of way.

St Clair had its own issues, as I'm sure Transit City would have many themselves, and as I'm sure the Eglinton LRT and new Scarborough Subway extension will too. The city is pretty horrible about handing out contracts, and the TTC is pretty horrible about on any project from station renovation to laying down new tracks.

St Clair and Roncesvalles projects have been pretty big nightmares for business, and people living in the areas, but in the long run it will benefit both neighborhoods. It's simple communication that is the biggest issue. TTC and the City are horrible at letting anyone know what is going on.

And don't kid yourself at St Clair being run into the ground solely on the streetcar. The street from the loop on the west end all the way down to Bathurst has always been a pretty big dump. I lived at Oakwood/Vaughan, so don't play it off as if the streetcar is inviting trouble into the neighborhood. It might not revitalize it in 5 years, but it will eventually help the neighborhood by attracting business and selling houses.

Derwind

Currently I live in Ottawa but I'm from Toronto....can I still be a member of Toronto-gaf?

My credentials: Lived in Toronto since forever, hate the leafs(only liked them when Matt Sundin was on the team, I don't get too excited about Hockey unless its the playoffs and even then....:shrug), hate the Raptors but still root for them(weird I know), don't watch baseball, WEST SIDE REPRESENT(ETOBICOKE BABY!!!), I used speakers corner once(when we still had it)........umm.....anyone on Gaf go to Silverthorn C.I.?...forget that question, I rather not know....

Oh and I miss Toronto...Ottawa is extremely boring....sorry Ottawa-Gaf....

Derwind

added_time said:
Why not move back then?

(and sure you can still be an honorary Torontonian)

Well I go to school here. Believe me, once I graduate I'll be gone quicker than you can say "Ottawa Senators Suck!!"....=)

Oppo

I've lived in Toronto most of my life at this point but I did a stint in Ottawa as well. It's nice along the canals, and godly if you like to cycle, but definitely missing a downtown "scene", especially if you are spoiled by Toronto. Unless you are a foodie.

One thing I do miss about Ottawa is how they set up Sparks St. in the summer with all the outdoor stuff and close off the cars from the street, we need something like that in Kensington or around City Hall or thereabouts.

Azih

Even though the new plan is much worse than Transit City (and the subway expansion portion isn't even PAID FOR) I'll take it. Once construction starts I don't think it would be that hard to extend it as it needs to (Eglinton CrossTown can go on to airport as well as hopefully connect to Square One in Mississauga, major cars off the road if those two things happen). Getting half way there is better than not doing anything like the last TWO FREAKING DECADES.

Azih said:
Getting half way there is better than not doing anything like the last TWO FREAKING DECADES.

This is exactly what I've been saying. It's not even close to ideal but we've done nothing for too long. We need to get started on anything right away.

Derwind

Azih said:
Even though the new plan is much worse than Transit City (and the subway expansion portion isn't even PAID FOR) I'll take it. Once construction starts I don't think it would be that hard to extend it as it needs to (Eglinton CrossTown can go on to airport as well as hopefully connect to Square One in Mississauga, major cars off the road if those two things happen). Getting half way there is better than not doing anything like the last TWO FREAKING DECADES.

Didn't they say they were going to merge the Toronto & Mississauga transit together? Its been a while but has that happened yet??

I lived right on mill road so pretty much Mississauga was a stones throw and I hated having a TTC bus pass and then having to pay Mississauga fairs when it connected all the way to Islington station.

The subway line extending to Square One would be really good. This is something I would never have dreamed of, make it happen people!!!!!!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
added_time said:
This is exactly what I've been saying. It's not even close to ideal but we've done nothing for too long. We need to get started on anything right away.

I wonder if Ford will somehow drag his feet on this, hoping that a new Premier will cancel it.

Derwind said:
Didn't they say they were going to merge the Toronto & Mississauga transit together? Its been a while but has that happened yet??

I lived right on mill road so pretty much Mississauga was a stones throw and I hated having a TTC bus pass and then having to pay Mississauga fairs when it connected all the way to Islington station.

The subway line extending to Square One would be really good. This is something I would never have dreamed of, make it happen people!!!!!!

Well, the Eglinton LRT (at least originally) goes all the way to the airport. While it's by no means cutting through the heart of Mississauga, it does extend into it. Ideally, the subway would extend to Hurontario, meeting up with the planned Light Rail Mississauga is going to run. In a perfect world..

Azih

EvilMario said:
I wonder if Ford will somehow drag his feet on this, hoping that a new Premier will cancel it.
Nah, the Eglinton LRT is now all underground so it's all good (I think that's why the portion to the airport was cancelled it would have been above ground so OH NOES WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CARS). Ford doesn't hate transit so much as he's virulently against anything that could ever impede someone in a car be it bicyclists, street cars, LRTs, people...

The sad part is that building above ground is cheaper and would get far more people better service, especially for the poor bastards on the Finch bus, but the Finch line is dead.

The lol part is that the 4 billion for Sheppard subway expansion hasn't been paid for at all and it's all on the city to provide. I read a story on the Metro about how Ford claimed that pricetag might go down in a 'competitive marketplace'. bahahahahaha

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Azih said:
Nah, the Eglinton LRT is now all underground so it's all good (I think that's why the portion to the airport was cancelled it would have been above ground so OH NOES WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CARS). Ford doesn't hate transit so much as he's virulently against anything that could ever impede someone in a car be it bicyclists, street cars, LRTs, people...

The sad part is that building above ground is cheaper and would get far more people better service, especially for the poor bastards on the Finch bus, but the Finch line is dead.

The lol part is that the 4 billion for Sheppard subway expansion hasn't been paid for at all and it's all on the city to provide. I read a story on the Metro about how Ford claimed that pricetag might go down in a 'competitive marketplace'. bahahahahaha

You think Ford wouldn't enjoy talking the province into using the money to fund the Sheppard extension if he could?

Azih

EvilMario said:
You think Ford wouldn't enjoy talking the province into using the money to fund the Sheppard extension if he could?
I don't think Ford cares if it's Eglinton or Sheppard as long as the transit is underground as it now is.

Now that Ford has succeeded in getting the Eglinton line 100% buried, he's setting his sights on burying the Gardiner Expressway.

There's a $20 Billion project if I've ever seen one. Where's he going to find that money?

char

Neo Member
PortTwo said:
One thing I do miss about Ottawa is how they set up Sparks St. in the summer with all the outdoor stuff and close off the cars from the street, we need something like that in Kensington or around City Hall or thereabouts.

beginning in may or june, the last sunday of every month is car-free in kensington

234345725_1528f9ff18_o.jpg

explodet

SomeDude said:
I'm sorry if this offends, but is canada "cultureless" and "soulless"?
I'm sorry if this offends, but is your mother ... naw, I'm just kidding.

Canada cultureless? No frickin' way.
Is Toronto cultureless? Eh, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom