• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimz

will52 said:
Anyone have any great valentines day ideas, in or around Toronto?

Need something original because she doesn't want to do the old wine and dine. She wanted to see the Tim Burton thing at the Lightbox, but of course it isn't open on mondays. lol. So back to the drawing board.
This Sunday, me and my friends are gonna have a soul music night at this shisha cafe on Bathurst and College! we are just gonna play some chill music! and that place's decoration is really beautiful! if you are interest i can give you the link to the event page!

Willectro

Banned
gimz said:
This Sunday, me and my friends are gonna have a soul music night at this shisha cafe on Bathurst and College! we are just gonna play some chill music! and that place's decoration is really beautiful! if you are interest i can give you the link to the event page!

We like rockabilly/psychobilly music. Will we like this soul music?

Zzoram

EvilMario said:
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...not-coming-back-to-ontario-mcguinty-says?bn=1

If there's one thing I miss from the States, it's the cheaper booze, and the wider selection. Very nanny state that the government has to regulate these prices to help the general idiot.

Making beer less accessible to the poor people who suffer the most from alcoholism isn't a bad thing. I'm sure middle-class families are able to pay the extra $2 for 24-beers today compared to costs 5 years ago.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Zzoram said:
Making beer less accessible to the poor people who suffer the most from alcoholism isn't a bad thing. I'm sure middle-class families are able to pay the extra $2 for 24-beers today compared to costs 5 years ago.

I'm talking about alcohol in general when you compare it to say, the States. I see plenty of homeless boozers around the city. The price won't stop them. It is a poor way to attempt to deal with a problem, while making the price rise for a Crown owned business.

Draff

lunarworks said:
I just don't see the point. It feels out of place. The base of the CN Tower doesn't seem like an ideal spot for an aquarium.

Agreed. An aquarium built at a redeveloped Ontario Place, overlooking Lake Ontario would be amazing.

I pray that the fact it's a Ripley's aquarium means it won't come with tacky wax figures and 3D movie rides.

gimz

will52 said:
We like rockabilly/psychobilly music. Will we like this soul music?
well depends...
here is a taste of what kind of soul we will be spinning
Isley Brothers - Living for the love of you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMdBs7uTLHw
or something little more up temple
Marvin Gaye - How Sweet is it to be love by you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8i-cdjCL48

its not exactly the same kind of music you like, but its nice to have a change of pace once a while, and listen to some sweet soul for valentines day :D

Draff said:
Agreed. An aquarium built at a redeveloped Ontario Place, overlooking Lake Ontario would be amazing.

I pray that the fact it's a Ripley's aquarium means it won't come with tacky wax figures and 3D movie rides.

As much as I adore the exhibition grounds/Ontario place (I walk my dog there everyday) building an aquarium there would be financial suicide.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
crazy monkey said:
we need better sports team for hockey and basketball. we suxk.

I haven't been paying attention lately, but what's the situation with the Predators? Did Balsillie give up? I know the Sabres and Leafs were fighting hard to keep them out of Hamilton, and then the NHL was blocking his purchase because he intended to move them to said city (or Kitchener-Waterloo).

Canada in general could use another basketball team, but I'm not sure what city would support it. Vancouver's support was up and down, but they had the worst record in the league for something like 4 years in a row to start off. Ouch. Haha.

Larger issue in this city might be who OWNS these sports franchises.

Dyno

Fuzzy said:
My favourite news piece from today because of the picture.

Group fails to convince judge pot smoking a religious right

416_CP24_church_universe.jpg

You know, I've got to give it up one of these days. I just don't like where it's heading.

a176

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Politicians are fooling themselves if they think they'll save anywhere near the amount of money they will all the while workers will make less money and be able to spend less money in this city.

I'm down the street at Finch. :)

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/655607

boo fucking hoo, i have to work 4 days a week! i get paid more money than most people, with bonuses, but i want more! raise the taxes so i can get paid more or else ill strike! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhmbulance!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
As their union has said though, those garbage workers are guaranteed a job with the city, even if their work is outsourced. So now they'll be paid $25/h+ for another unskilled taste.

lol, 18 sick days per year, that are bankable. Jesus Christ.

a176

Banned
Dear TekSavvy Customer,

Because of your support and participation in reaching out to the
various MPs and the Minister of Industry we're pleased to announce
that the March 1st UBB implementation date has been suspended indefinitely.

Teksavvy, in the face of bell and rogers, has now upped both DSL and Cable caps to 300 GB !

Show your support for the small guy!

a176 said:
Teksavvy, in the face of bell and rogers, has now upped both DSL and Cable caps to 300 GB !

Show your support for the small guy!
Our Rogers contract is up in April. (I dunno how we got on a contract.)

We're so ditching them. I will actually say to the person on the phone "No counter-offer you can possibly give us will be good enough, so don't even bother."

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
lunarworks said:

We're so ditching them. I will actually say to the person on the phone "No counter-offer you can possibly give us will be good enough, so don't even bother."
contract in a year for me. i also don't remember signing a contract, w/e, i am gonna end this shit when my contract ends.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
" The city hall was seen in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Contagion" as one of the possible destinations of an alien portal."

Bwahah.

a176

Banned
lunarworks said:

if u have the better choice bundle (get a discount based on how many rogers services u have), then u have a contract with them for that.

when i called,

"im switching to teksavvy"
"sorry to hear that, perhaps there is something we can offer you"
"can you offer me $35/month with 200gb cap?"
"no sorry we cannot offer that"
"goodbye!"

a176 said:
if u have the better choice bundle (get a discount based on how many rogers services u have), then u have a contract with them for that.

when i called,

"im switching to teksavvy"
"sorry to hear that, perhaps there is something we can offer you"
"can you offer me $35/month with 200gb cap?"
"no sorry we cannot offer that"
"goodbye!"
I joined teksavvy cable a long time ago and my conversation basically went like that. The dude was thinking for a short while as if he was gonna offer anything remotely close, and then he even said maybe he should get that (the teksavvy offer) lol. Good times.

cbox

Fuzzy said:
I guess that's why it was so good.

I said that exact same thing on the subway this morning haha

edit: I wonder if Pizza and a coke was on their menu? /terriblejoke

YakiSOBA

I might be moved to Markham for work in the summer... Suggestion time!

I don't see many apartments in Markham, only condos ($1300+/month) or "renovated" basements that you can rent.

Anyone from Markham here that can give me a more accurate depiction of housing there right now? I'll probably start looking in May.

Thanks! :D

Snakeyes

Khao San Road (326 Adelaide St W) has the best Thai food in the city. Sukhotai (274 Parliament St), which is the same chef's previous restaurant is excellent as well, and cheaper to boot.

Azih

YakiSOBA said:

I don't see many apartments in Markham, only condos ($1300+/month) or "renovated" basements that you can rent.

Anyone from Markham here that can give me a more accurate depiction of housing there right now? I'll probably start looking in May.

Markham is pretty suburban heavy though there are a lot of high rises going up there lately so condos or renovated basements might be your best bet. You could get something in the north end of Scarborough or North York bordering Markham for much cheaper though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
YakiSOBA said:

Check craigslist for apartments in Markham. You might walk around where you'll be working too, and see if there are any 'for rent' signs around. As the poster above me said, Markham has a lot of sprawl (which means a gazillion new homeowners trying to rent out their shitty basements). However, the old town is pretty nice and you can find some decent apartment rentals if you give yourself time.

I personally hate basement apartments, and they're rarely up to code in the city.

Your other option is to rent in an area with more apartments, and commute in. GO Train/Buses go to Markham pretty frequently, but you may not enjoy the commute and associated cost with it. However, if you want to live downtown, while working in the 'burbs, it's an option.

I find Markham a bit expensive, and you might actually have better value down in Toronto.

dudeworld

YakiSOBA said:

Try this site.
http://www.realtor.ca/index.aspx?cul=1

I remember that quite well. It's just surprising when you hear "Toronto" pronounced the local way on US television.

In other news, Rob Ford and his brother think the mayor should have veto power over all council decisions. Bullshit. Power-hungry people like Rob Ford are exactly why Mayor Miller shot down the "mayor's veto" idea when the Stronger City of Toronto Act was being developed a few years back. He could have used that veto himself, sure, but he also didn't want some fat-ass conservative coming into power and having a blank cheque to tear down the city.

Azih said:
I don't think McGuinty would allow that in any case.

Tim Hudak though.........
Please don't scare me. The idea of a Conservative triple-threat government is terrifying right now. Municipal, Provincial, and Federal all working together to move us backwards.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
i've been scouring google for the answer to this and i thought i'd try my luck by asking in this thread before calling up the canadian embassy or something:

basically, when we're in toronto next month (me, my husband, in-laws) we plan to drive down to niagara falls and cross over to the USA to shop at the outlet mall there.

now i know that there's value limits as to what you can bring back into canada with you duty-free, but i am assuming this only applies to canadian residents? if we show the border patrol that we are all swiss residents, will we be exempt from those rules? i'm assuming so, but i'm not totally sure, so i thought i'd ask here if anyone knows more...

cloudwalking said:
i've been scouring google for the answer to this and i thought i'd try my luck by asking in this thread before calling up the canadian embassy or something:

basically, when we're in toronto next month (me, my husband, in-laws) we plan to drive down to niagara falls and cross over to the USA to shop at the outlet mall there.

now i know that there's value limits as to what you can bring back into canada with you duty-free, but i am assuming this only applies to canadian residents? if we show the border patrol that we are all swiss residents, will we be exempt from those rules? i'm assuming so, but i'm not totally sure, so i thought i'd ask here if anyone knows more...

$500 is the limit, sadly. You have to pay a certain percent for everything else over.

Of course, you don't have to show it *wink wink*. If you're driving, they'll ask how much value do you have. Just say "under $500". They won't bug you, usually.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
shagg_187 said:
$500 is the limit, sadly. You have to pay a certain percent for everything else over.

Of course, you don't have to show it *wink wink*. If you're driving, they'll ask how much value do you have. Just say "under $500". They won't bug you, usually.

$500 is actually more than i expected! i'm assuming that's $500 per vehicle right, or is it per person? anyway, should be fine either way :) thank you for the information!

BlogTO and Toronto are both reporting that The Green Room has reopened.

This makes me very happy.

However, they also say they changed decor. It's more brightly lit, and there's no more christmas lights... :/

Zzoram

lunarworks said:
Please don't scare me. The idea of a Conservative triple-threat government is terrifying right now. Municipal, Provincial, and Federal all working together to move us backwards.

Oh boy, they'll push so hard to make us into all the crappy parts of the US.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
cloudwalking said:

I really depends on how long you are on the US side. Take at look at the CBSA website for details. If you declare small items 'I just bought a few pairs of pants' they'll rarely check you. And even if you get pulled over to secondary, they'll likely give you the chance to claim once more. In case you were withholding a bit.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/new-neuf/advisory-avis/2007-09-28-eng.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom