• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a shit storm.

EvilMario said:
Yeah, this is pretty pathetic on the west end and downtown. Media is still playing it up as the end times though.
I dunno. I watched Citytv for a few minutes earlier, and they seemed pretty calm about it all, like they actually realized they'd look foolish if they pretended otherwise. Of course, I didn't watch CP24, but I imagine they were locked in some bunker overdramaticizing the whole thing.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
lunarworks said:
What a shit storm.

I dunno. I watched Citytv for a few minutes earlier, and they seemed pretty calm about it all, like they actually realized they'd look foolish if they pretended otherwise. Of course, I didn't watch CP24, but I imagine they were locked in some bunker overdramaticizing the whole thing.

I'm just judging by the papers headlines earlier; no cable for me. ;)

The Sun has adjusted their headline though: Snowmaggedon? More like Snowverkill

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Eff it I'm still staying home. If HR didn't send out an email yesterday I probably would have gone.

Takuan

Took me less time to get to work than usual thanks to emptier highways. And I'm in earlier than usual by a good 45 minutes. Thanks, blizzard!

Takuan said:
Took me less time to get to work than usual thanks to emptier highways. And I'm in earlier than usual by a good 45 minutes. Thanks, blizzard!

Is there anything blizzard doesn't get right?

All the schools in Toronto are closed.

What nonsense.

I hate to pull out the "when I was a kid" line, but when I was a kid I had to ride my bike to school in twice this amount of snow, in active blizzard conditions.

The bar has been set low.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
lunarworks said:

What nonsense.

I hate to pull out the "when I was a kid" line, but when I was a kid I had to ride my bike to school in twice this amount of snow, in active blizzard conditions.

I didn't have far to walk when I was a kid. I lived a block away from my school. :)

Takuan

lunarworks said:

What nonsense.

Yup. I've definitely gone to school in far worse weather. It's not even snowing now in my area.

I just checked if UofT's site... all campuses EXCEPT St. George are closed. Raw deal. :lol

Takuan

will52 said:
30cm isn't a lot of snow anyways. The last few days have been slow for news, so this storm got a lot of hype.
I don't think we even got 30cm. Canadian winters have been weaksauce for the past decade.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
will52 said:
30cm isn't a lot of snow anyways. The last few days have been slow for news, so this storm got a lot of hype.

30cm, when we actually receive that amount in one night, it's quite a bit of snow for the area. We're not the Prairie's. We don't have 50cm+ snow storms multiple times throughout a winter. Hell, we're not even Barrie, who receives 30cm storms plenty.

Not only that, but I don't trust Toronto drivers with 5cm on the roads. Or streetcars for that matter.

Also, you guys are pretty funny with your 'back in my day' outlooks. Lest you forget 2007-2008 was the snowiest year on record.

EvilMario said:
Also, you guys are pretty funny with your 'back in my day' outlooks. Lest you forget 2007-2008 was the snowiest year on record.
Did they cancel school in the winter of 2007-2008?

According to The Star, no. School hasn't been canceled since 1999.

So what was your point again? Or are you just finding a way to use the "Oh you're so funny, Grampa" retort.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
lunarworks said:

So what was your point again? Or are you just finding a way to use the "Oh you're so funny, Grampa" retort.

I'm not saying they were right to cancel everything today; it's way blown out of proportion. Cancelling during a couple of snowstorms in 2008 and 2004 would have made much more sense. Not every winter can be the blizzard of 1999, but a lot of people in Toronto seem to think 'Man, back when I was growing up, we had real snow every winter. 30cm? I spit on that'. When it's just not the case.

I hear it every single winter. In person, and online.

EvilMario said:
Not every winter can be the blizzard of 1999, but a lot of people in Toronto seem to think 'Man, back when I was growing up, we had real snow every winter. 30cm? I spit on that'. When it's just not the case.

I hear it every single winter. In person, and online.
Ready my post. Did I say that? No, I just said that we went to school through much worse than this joke of a storm.

But back to the blizzard of '99... that was something. I had to work at the movie theatre that day. All the buses were canceled, and I couldn't ride my bike, but they still wanted me to come in for noon. So I walked, which took over an hour. Right after I got there they noticed that no one was coming to see a movie... so they closed for the day and sent us all right back home.

What a bunch of morons those managers were. It was no surprise the theatre shut down a few months after I quit.

Helmholtz

Ugh, I have to hand in an assignment today otherwise I'd have taken the day off.
This storm did not live up to the hype.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, weak-sauce storm. But that's to be expected, the ones that are always hyped are the ones that have the least amounts, and the ones that come out of no where are the ones with more.

Crazylegs

I live just down the 401 in London. We were under a Blizzard Warning last night. 25-35cm of snow and 4+ hours of 40+kmh winds. Accordingly, the city was prepared to shut down - buses, schools, etc.

The blizzard never came, of course, but the elementary/secondary schools shut down anyways. So now I'm at work pretty much by myself since everyone with younger kids had to stay home with them today. My kids are older, dammit.

At least I got GAF to keep me company! :)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Apparently it's the same situation in New York, but with even less snow. Media is still harping on about it though.

Lard

Banned
lunarworks said:

What nonsense.

Agreed. This was a normal day where I grew up.

Deep River

whitehawk

Banned
lunarworks said:

In 2008 I was sent home halfway throw the day. Sort of a snow day.

Dyno

Yup, the storm today was completely snowverated.

What I think happened is that everyone was hyping up the storm and people got it set in their mind that tomorrow was going to be a snow day to the point that when it didn't happen they just acted like it did.

So the schools got closed and half the people at my work took a vacation day. If you wanted to go skating at City Hall it's actually a nice day for it and you would have the rink mostly to yourself.

In the last half hour it's gone from a very light snowfall to big chunky flakes constantly coming down. So maybe it'll live up to the expectations after all.

Nah.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
whitehawk said:
In 2008 I was sent home halfway throw the day. Sort of a snow day.
Half days are horrible for parents with small children since they have to scramble to get home. Closing the school for the whole day is much better for everyone.

jcutner

highway wasn't too bad, noticed some black ice around ajax though which could have been nasty... traffic was at a chokepoint due to a few accidents in a row

I finally checked out Snakes & Lattes last Saturday evening, after stumbling upon it by accident, and it was quite impressive. The place was PACKED. Not a seat free anywhere, except for a reserved table.

I'm planning on going back sometime. You can call ahead and reserve a table.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
lunarworks said:
I finally checked out Snakes & Lattes last Saturday evening, after stumbling upon it by accident, and it was quite impressive. The place was PACKED. Not a seat free anywhere, except for a reserved table.

I'm planning on going back sometime. You can call ahead and reserve a table.

I pass by it all the time, but have yet to stop in. Maybe if our friends are in town, my wife and I will stop by with them and play a few rounds of 'something'. Good to hear it's worth it, and that I need to call for a reservation.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:
I pass by it all the time, but have yet to stop in. Maybe if our friends are in town, my wife and I will stop by with them and play a few rounds of 'something'. Good to hear it's worth it, and that I need to call for a reservation.
I'm there quite a bit myself. Might have seen you, who knows? Maybe I'll grab a random guy on the street next time and yell, 'IS THAT YOU, EM?' :D

Also, how about a request, mario?

Job search resources in the OP?

Figure anyone coming here is going to be in the same boat as a lot of us. Would be nice to help each other out. I've become frustrated going at this alone.

I'd like to hear what other Torontonians did or used to get a job. 'I got lucky' is getting old...
:'(

So I went to Ryerson, and after attending one class, I decided to marvel the beauty of the snow.

Took the photo of Banksy's mark in Toronto.

DdgLg.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
I'm there quite a bit myself. Might have seen you, who knows? Maybe I'll grab a random guy on the street next time and yell, 'IS THAT YOU, EM?' :D

Also, how about a request, mario?

Job search resources in the OP?

Figure anyone coming here is going to be in the same boat as a lot of us. Would be nice to help each other out. I've become frustrated going at this alone.

I'd like to hear what other Torontonians did or used to get a job. 'I got lucky' is getting old...
:'(

A few of them in the OP. I messaged you with a PM though; answer it, damn it! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom