• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have a date tomorrow. I need a good spot in the downtown area to take a girl for coffee. This is an okCupid meeting so I'm not doing the dinner/drinks thing just yet, obviously, but I'd still like to take her some place nice.

I usually go to the Annex but the coffee shops in that area can be packed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Draff

DoctorWho said:
So, I have a date tomorrow. I need a good spot in the downtown area to take a girl for coffee. This is an okCupid meeting so I'm not doing the dinner/drinks thing just yet, obviously, but I'd still like to take her some place nice.

I usually go to the Annex but the coffee shops in that area can be packed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Bulldog, darkhorse...

dantehemi

going downtown with the girlfriend tomorrow and we both want to try dim sum for the first time, can any of my fellow toronto gaf-ers suggest some places for me?

Firestorm

wtf there is a starbucks inside the sears?
and they make their frappuccinos with bagged milk?

HOW IS THIS THE SAME COUNTRY?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else like "mother's dumplings" at Spadina and College?

Best chinese dumplings in town! (and in this city - that is really saying something!)

Cheap too. Super recommended.

We should have a Toronto Neogaf meet up. I'm an international student and would like to make some like minded friends.

Would anyone be interested in this?

FairyD

SirIgbyCeaser said:
We should have a Toronto Neogaf meet up. I'm an international student and would like to make some like minded friends.

I'm up for it.

also... must not quote avatar.

Willectro

Banned
SirIgbyCeaser said:

I would be down. Toronto-Gaf had a meet up several months ago. I don't think many people attended because of poor planning / short notice.

Just wanted to interject with some poli-gaf here.. anyone have a list of Ford's accomplishments as mayor up until now? I'm trying to find something cohesive on google/wiki but there is little to no organized information on this.

Apoc29

dragonfart28 said:
Just wanted to interject with some poli-gaf here.. anyone have a list of Ford's accomplishments as mayor up until now? I'm trying to find something cohesive on google/wiki but there is little to no organized information on this.
FfFba.jpg

Roto13

dragonfart28 said:
He's a homophobic, gravy-swilling redneck who managed to get elected mayor of a cosmopolitan city in a civilized country. That's a pretty big accomplishment right there.

dragonfart28 said:

He's managed to get the Gravy Train up and running again, asking the province for even more money. Despite the fact he said he wouldn't until he got the city's finances in order.

will52 said:
I would be down. Toronto-Gaf had a meet up several months ago. I don't think many people attended because of poor planning / short notice.

Yeah, it was literally a few days notice, on a very very bad day. A month notice would be awesome!

Firestorm

SirIgbyCeaser said:

If you guys do a weekend and I'm free, I'd be up for it. Would need to get to Bay & Dundas bus terminal at 11pm though.

explodet

Draff said:
If you want a nice *cheap* bowl of udon, curry or hayashi rice, I highly recommend Manpuku Modern Japanese Eatery at Village by the Grange (University Ave. and Dundas St.). If you order the noodles, make sure to order double the noodles for an extra $1.25 - definitely worth it!
I remembered this post and decided to try something new outside my usual lunch haunts, so I gave it a shot. Nice atmosphere, great prices, the curry was more sweet than spicy for me, but that's not a bad thing. Didn't get the extra noodles as I'm trying not to overeat.

Thanks for the recommendation, if their takoyaki is really good I might have just found one of my new favorite lunch places.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
can anyone recommend a good sit-down chinese restaurant? any price range. my father-in-law likes chinese food but it's hard to come by authentic stuff in switzerland. needless to say, i think he needs to try the real deal.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
cloudwalking said:
can anyone recommend a good sit-down chinese restaurant? any price range. my father-in-law likes chinese food but it's hard to come by authentic stuff in switzerland. needless to say, i think he needs to try the real deal.
i cant think of a posh real-deal chinese restaurant. if you want the real deal then kom jug yuen and new ho king are chinatown/spadina favorites. if you want aesthetics and room then spring rolls is nice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cloudwalking said:
Depends what you mean by "real deal". The "better" places only serve Chinese-Canadian stuff or stuff that's easy on the palate.

The smaller places in Chinatown will due things like bittermelon and congee and whatnot, for what I think are fairly reasonable prices.

Canova

Banned
dragonfart28 said:

TTC can no longer strike, that's no. 1 accomplishment

firehawk12

Subete no aware
canova said:
TTC can no longer strike, that's no. 1 accomplishment
Yes, but as we've seen with the other non-strike unions, wages go up. I think police pensions cost more than the active police force at this point?

It's all relative I suppose. Either way you end up paying for it.

Joule

added_time said:
Anyone else like "mother's dumplings" at Spadina and College?

Best chinese dumplings in town! (and in this city - that is really saying something!)

Cheap too. Super recommended.

Yeah they're a pretty good dumpling house. I haven't been since they moved to Spadina and College though.

The place near what used to be the Bright Pearl Seafood restaurant on Spadina is also pretty good.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What are the rules on TTC striking now? Specifically.

In other regions essential services, like transit, only have to operate during peak hours (ie; 9-6 weekdays). And can shut down service other times.

Canova

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Yes, but as we've seen with the other non-strike unions, wages go up. I think police pensions cost more than the active police force at this point?

It's all relative I suppose. Either way you end up paying for it.

this time the service is guaranteed, no more strike threat bullshit by the union

garbage is next

EvilMario said:

In other regions essential services, like transit, only have to operate during peak hours (ie; 9-6 weekdays). And can shut down service other times.

no more strikes

I've got a date with a girl this Thursday in the King and Liberty Village area. Can anyone recommend a good/quiet bar in that area?

Thanks

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EvilMario said:

1st rule of TTC striking is...if you don't get what you want you strike.
2nd rule of TTC striking is...if you think you'll get what you want you strike for more

I recall more strkes with the TTC than averted strikes. I simply don't feel they negotiate in good faith.

Oppo

The Toronto hate makes me a bit sad. I get why people think that way (well, sorta) but it really is one-sided in my experience. I've lived in a few different Canadian cities, been to most of the big ones, and I can't help but notice that Toronto really doesn't talk about the rest of Canada the way people often talk about Toronto. I'm quite happy to call it my home, I find the complaints quite petty. (I grew up in a rural area too so it's not like I'm a city kid.)

I will add that I am a TTC rider and Zipcar user, I don't own a car (after trying it for a year I gave it up) and I think this saves me tons of stress and money.

DoctorWho – I'd do Liberty Bistro for dinner, maybe Academy of Spherical Arts around the corner for drinks?

PortTwo said:
The Toronto hate makes me a bit sad. I get why people think that way (well, sorta) but it really is one-sided in my experience. I've lived in a few different Canadian cities, been to most of the big ones, and I can't help but notice that Toronto really doesn't talk about the rest of Canada the way people often talk about Toronto. I'm quite happy to call it my home, I find the complaints quite petty. (I grew up in a rural area too so it's not like I'm a city kid.)

I will add that I am a TTC rider and Zipcar user, I don't own a car (after trying it for a year I gave it up) and I think this saves me tons of stress and money.

DoctorWho – I'd do Liberty Bistro for dinner, maybe Academy of Spherical Arts around the corner for drinks?

Thanks for the tips.

PortTwo said:
The Toronto hate makes me a bit sad. I get why people think that way (well, sorta) but it really is one-sided in my experience. I've lived in a few different Canadian cities, been to most of the big ones, and I can't help but notice that Toronto really doesn't talk about the rest of Canada the way people often talk about Toronto.

I noticed it too. I travel all over for work and couldn't believe the stuff people were saying to me in some parts of Canada. Most people here seem to like the other cities in Canada so I don't get the beef really. A lot of the stuff I heard in Calgary and Edmonton seemed to be the most venomous.

The one place that seems to grudgingly respect Toronto seems to be Montreal. I didn't get a lot of hate any time I've been there (aside from some English language stuff.. but nothing about Toronto)

Who knows, though? This is just anecdotal experience so I can't be sure what most people think.

RS4-

I've lived in Saskatoon for a bit a few years ago and...yeah I don't ever want to go back. I've lived in North York, Scarborough and Markham though for a fair bit so I'm used to taking public transit and putting up with all their nonsense.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I think it's just the effect of being the 'big city' in Canada. Toronto is in the news a lot, and it can grow tiresome to hear if you're from B.C.

Toronto doesn't ooze the arrogance of a NYC, or LA (which is why San Francisco hates LA), so I don't want to go as far as saying it's because of attitude. In general, I find the 'we're superior' attitude more in Vancouver and Montreal, who constantly have to point out why they're better.

EvilMario said:
I think it's just the effect of being the 'big city' in Canada. Toronto is in the news a lot, and it can grow tiresome to hear if you're from B.C.

Toronto doesn't ooze the arrogance of a NYC, or LA (which is why San Francisco hates LA), so I don't want to go as far as saying it's because of attitude. In general, I find the 'we're superior' attitude more in Vancouver and Montreal, who constantly have to point out why they're better.

That's the thing about Toronto, we know we're better, we just don't have to advertise it :p

And if the Leafs play with the same intensity next season, the other cities will hate us even more (especially Ottawa, dear God, do they hate us).

typo said:
That's the thing about Toronto, we know we're better, we just don't have to advertise it :p

And if the Leafs play with the same intensity next season, the other cities will hate us even more (especially Ottawa, dear God, do they hate us).

Ottawa hates us because if you ask some Americans, they'll tell you Toronto is the capital of Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom