• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

Pinktaco

Okay this is disappointing. I was really hyped for this game, even to the point of bootcamping my MacBook Pro so I could run it. But reading all these comments seems to indicate it's a buggy mess that is still in need of QA. No matter how much I want to play something I can't support developers who take the p*ss with buggy code and for that reason I'm out.

Works fine for me. Sure there are a few FPS issues on the campaign map but overall I'm not seeing any issues. Other than perhaps the game not looking like what I expected.

You make it sounds as if it's completely unplayable which is't not.

Martian

Trying out a few different games. Even though the game plays like ass on my shitty laptop, Im having a blast! I love seeing the campaign map.

Yet to play a battle, because Im afraid my laptop will die

Next up: a look at the Iceni

Shahadan

Every time I buy these things and everytime I feel overwhelmed and confused and want to quit two hours in. I should correct this weird habit.

Ceebs

So I left home this morning moving the install over to my SSD. Any noticeable change in loading times for this game?

Kainazzo

Holy crap, this game is fun! Only got 2 hours of sleep last night, and all I can think of here at work is how to win that fight vs. Syracuse >_<. Playing as Rome, but I took a look at Parthia too, which'll be my next faction. No wonder Parthia's listed as "hard", I was at war with the whole East on the first turn! Only complaints:

-Encyclopedia appears to have online images. You can go into the game directory and click "robots.txt" to use the encyclopedia in your browser off-line, but no images. If the servers ever go down, it'll be crippled. Shogun 2 had the entire encyclopedia off-line.
-Same graphics problems, I wonder if 3 GB just isn't enough at 1920x1200. Should be; does forcing unlimited memory really fix it?

I've gotten around the problem of transferring troops by creating a "taxi general" whose sole purpose is to ferry soldiers around. I'll eventually make a network of them as my empire grows. It feels cheap though. Lastly, while the graphics are currently a downgrade from Shogun 2, the load times are not. Everything only takes a few seconds, it's awesome!

Hrothgar

The game runs pretty decent on very high/ultra on my machine, loading times are pretty quick (no SSD). Considering this PC is almost 3 years old, I can live with it.

A few things so far:
- AA is a blurry mess, which made it an easy decision to turn off and gain some extra performance.
- Selecting agents or armies on the campaign map drops my FPS by 10-20. What's up with that? You just get a bloody overlay!

Martian

Could anyone with a non sucking PC tell me what results the "large battle" option gives, in custom battles I mean?

Referably post a picture of your army in the field:)

Okay this is disappointing. I was really hyped for this game, even to the point of bootcamping my MacBook Pro so I could run it. But reading all these comments seems to indicate it's a buggy mess that is still in need of QA. No matter how much I want to play something I can't support developers who take the p*ss with buggy code and for that reason I'm out.

Most, if not all (??) Total War games have been buggy at launch. I think most people who love Total War, even though they can bitch about the AI and unoptimization problems, still love these games for the unprecendented experience they offer. There basically is no alternative to these sorts of games.

Also, I wouldn't read some impressions on people and then conclude something. Try the game for yourself.

Only issue I've had so far is frame rate drops when I have particle effect above High. For some reason that hurts my FPS a lot. Generally I've had no issues, but I do have a 780 and a i7@4.2ghz and 8GB DDR3@2400mhz so not exactly average, but not uber powerful either. And this is at extreme except for the Particle effects. Everything else on too like DoF etc.
Is there no DX9/DX11 option like with Shogun 2 or did it choose DX11 by default? Maybe I didn't see the option?
As for the game I like it being more streamlined; things are easier to find and manage. But it would'nt surprise me if some complain about it being too streamlined! Personally I love it!

DTKT

Most, if not all (??) Total War games have been buggy at launch. I think most people who love Total War, even though they can bitch about the AI and unoptimization problems, still love these games for the unprecendented experience they offer. There basically is no alternative to these sorts of games.

Also, I wouldn't read some impressions on people and then conclude something. Try the game for yourself.

It doesn't mean you have to buy it right now. With Rome 2, I'd wait a few weeks for the drivers, textures and AI issues to be "solved".

Martian

What's your rig?

Its a laptop:

Intel i5-450m
Geforce GT 450m
4 gig ram

Even though the campaign runs badly, the battles (or at least the few custom ones i just did) run better than Shogun's

So I think the campaign is fixable by patches (given the fact that I think that they specs for campaign are the same as those for battles)

Dmax3901

Can we get some more impressions from people with somewhat aging rigs? I haven't installed yet and wonder if I should wait for a patch. For reference I have an overclocked Core 2 Q6600, 8 gigs RAM, a 7200 hdd, and a Radeon 4870 1GB. Hoping to get around 30 fps on 1600x1200 using medium-ish settings.

Seems most complaints/disappointment so far are from people expecting a 1080p/Ultra experience on newer cards.

I have a 1gb 6950, i5 2500k and 8gb ram and it runs pretty bad. I don't seem to be having any trouble with the campaign map but everywhere else I'm lucky to break an even 30fps.

Martian

Sorry for posting so much, but I am pretty amazed at what CA has done for lower gaming systems.

The custom battles i have played so far have been a joy (a tad too easy but still)
I can even use double/triple the speed and play it bearably.
When the fighting begins I can even zoom in and enjoy the fighting
I play on lowest settings (apart from the unit sized set to medium).

For the record: the reason I could never play Shogun 2 battles, was because my FPS would drop to about 1 when zooming in or speeding up.

By the way: the sound gets screwed up when the game is working hard though, but Id rather have that than huge performance issues.

IvorB

never experienced a Total War game at launch before huh?

it always rough at start then patches clean it up

Check back for winter sale. Should have some extra DLC too.

If it is still worse then previous games by then, well, I don't know what to tell you then...

Thanks for the advice. I've only bought Total War: Rome a while back. I really loved it A LOT but the graphics were just too rough. I couldn't really see what was happening. So I was really hyped for this new one as there is something about the whole Roman period that really intrigues me so I haven't played any of the other ones. Maybe I'll check back in a while. Didn't know they were known to be buggy.

How would you propose I do that? Buy it first to see how buggy it is?.

NyMartin

Banned
I have a lenovo y500 laptop

i7 3630QM ivy bridge
16 gb ram
dual Nvidia 750m

how do you think it'll run? I dont think this game supports sli which scares me

I have a 1gb 6950, i5 2500k and 8gb ram and it runs pretty bad. I don't seem to be having any trouble with the campaign map but everywhere else I'm lucky to break an even 30fps.

Thanks, hopefully a patch will help your performance. I tend to autoresolve a lot of my battles so I'm thinking I'll be ok.

Dmax3901

So I quit the prologue just after taking Salernum, then when I go continue campaign it loaded just before that battle, so I played it through a gain and when I clicked continue it took me to the main menu :/

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Anyone know what the red skull over the city means?

epV6fwB.jpg

Czigga

man the steam forums are going crazy with salt, and the official forums are down. Devs gonna have a busy few weeks ahead methinks

Giran

This is messed up. I'm laying siege on this city from the west, the enemy sends another army as reinforcements from behind my army, also from the west. Obviously the reinforcements attack my siege force while the defenders join them. At this point it's a regular battle where you defend. If the same situation happened in Shogun 2, your army would just be sandwiched between the two enemy armies but in Rome 2 both armies are just added to the same pool to form a huge ass army. Why would you do that, CA? Anyway, despite that I still would've managed to turn things around because of my missile superiority but lost thanks to losing the single command point on the map. WHY are there command points in a battle that isn't a siege? Fuck that.

Anyone know what the red skull over the city means?

Your city doesn't have enough food.

Martian

I only get the option to Quit Battle, which tells me I will lose my progress. Is that what you mean?

Hmm, thats weird. In previous TW games you could just quit a battle after you won it. Maybe they need to patch this? Perhaps its just a typo, so make sure in a custom battle before using it in the campaign

Vitor711

Sorry for posting so much, but I am pretty amazed at what CA has done for lower gaming systems.

The custom battles i have played so far have been a joy (a tad too easy but still)
I can even use double/triple the speed and play it bearably.
When the fighting begins I can even zoom in and enjoy the fighting
I play on lowest settings (apart from the unit sized set to medium).

For the record: the reason I could never play Shogun 2 battles, was because my FPS would drop to about 1 when zooming in or speeding up.

By the way: the sound gets screwed up when the game is working hard though, but Id rather have that than huge performance issues.

That's reassuring to hear. I've got a 680m (which is basically comparable to a 660ti) and was a little worried that I'd even be able to run it after seeing a few online benchmarks and knowing how poorly Empire and Shogun performed on mobile GPUs at launch.

I know that I'll have a much easier time running it than you but I had similar issues with Shogun 2 so I'm hopeful to see that things have improved for me also.

Shantom

Hmm, thats weird. In previous TW games you could just quit a battle after you won it. Maybe they need to patch this? Perhaps its just a typo, so make sure in a custom battle before using it in the campaign

I'm currently in a campaign battle so I don't want to start hitting buttons right now :)

I need to vent somewhere, so here goes: this battle has certainly been the most frustating one I've had, mainly due to it being my first defensive battle, I lost it before due to, after taking out 3/4s of the enemy force, my control point being taken by a single unit. Having control points in a non-siege battle is just awful, especially because of the speed of defeat. Then after reloading an earlier save and doing the battle again, I rout the enemy, win the battle, choose to continue as always, hunt down everyone I can see, but then the battle doesn't end, so after taking units all over the map and finding nothing, I thought I'd just let time run out. It's been at 0:00 for quite a while now, and, as I've said, I can't find a way to exit the battle manually. Having already been in this battle for ages, I don't want to just quit the thing and see what happens.

JoV

This is messed up. I'm laying siege on this city from the west, the enemy sends another army as reinforcements from behind my army, also from the west. Obviously the reinforcements attack my siege force while the defenders join them. At this point it's a regular battle where you defend. If the same situation happened in Shogun 2, your army would just be sandwiched between the two enemy armies but in Rome 2 both armies are just added to the same pool to form a huge ass army. Why would you do that, CA?

Really? That is pretty dumb. Even the original Rome did that properly. Maneuvering your force into a position where they would be able to enter the city and assist in the defense was a great tactic. At least there should be two distinct armies attacking from separate directions.

Very strange if they have removed that. It was one of the only really challenging strategic scenarios in the game.

cazosozey

I'm currently in a campaign battle so I don't want to start hitting buttons right now :)

I rout the enemy, win the battle, choose to continue as always, hunt down everyone I can see, but then the battle doesn't end, so after taking units all over the map and finding nothing, I thought I'd just let time run out. It's been at 0:00 for quite a while now, and, as I've said, I can't find a way to exit the battle manually. Having already been in this battle for ages, I don't want to just quit the thing and see what happens.

Unfortunately I've had this happen in shogun 2, where a single routed enemy will get stuck in the games geometry (those damn bridges on some castle maps) causing the game to not complete.

Sounds like it may be another reload man, sorry.

Herne

What's really irritating me is the apparent lack of information on troops during battle. Despite this whopping great big panel at the bottom of the screen, I can't see how many troops are left to each unit, what they are doing or what their morale is. To do this, I have to hover the mouse over each unit, which is just a waste of time. Honestly, who at CA thought this was a good idea?

Shantom

Unfortunately I've had this happen in shogun 2, where a single routed enemy will get stuck in the games geometry (those damn bridges on some castle maps) causing the game to not complete.

Sounds like it may be another reload man, sorry.

Happily not!

About 80 minutes into this battle with a time limit of 40 minutes, an enemy ship appears from nowhere, pulls up to shore, and a full unit of spearmen pour out. Since my army is scattered to every corner of the map looking for enemies that have run into trees, I am quite unprepared for this, so I am frantically pulling units from everywhere and trying to get back to my flag (which is still a stupid idea BTW) when I realise that the enemy is already broken, and is fleeing. Finally, a chance for murder! My entire force converge on them, rip them to pieces and the battle is finished after 104 minutes. Afterwards, I kill my captives. Fuck those guys.

butts

I've had this preordered for weeks but it sounds like it might be smart to wait for a few weeks for bugs to get ironed out - which TW game would be better to play in the meantime, Empire or Shogun 2? I own both but haven't really played either much at all.

Hystzen

Thanks for the advice. I've only bought Total War: Rome a while back. I really loved it A LOT but the graphics were just too rough. I couldn't really see what was happening. So I was really hyped for this new one as there is something about the whole Roman period that really intrigues me so I haven't played any of the other ones. Maybe I'll check back in a while. Didn't know they were known to be buggy.

Even Rome 1 was not great until 1.6 patch arrived, if you really having problems just wait until about november/december. It should be ironed out by then but could be sooner depends how fast patches are released, driver updates and of course mods that help.

The gameplay still solid just got cope with the quirks

Martian

Damn, those shots looks amazing dude. What specs do you have?

By the way: I would recommend Shogun 2 and then Empire (shogun 2 is somewhat more related to Rome 2) and I am not such a fan of Empire, but it's definitively worth playing.

Mark Strong making comments about my general being in danger is pretty damn cool as well. I like the actor and the fact that he is giving me advice is even better

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I loveeed the prologue missions. I have to admit that I'm new to this series but I don't think the learning curve is as high as some of the reviews mentioned. The only problem I have is with the framerate but it isn't unplayable.

fantomena

Im running the game on these settings. Sometimes FPS drop, but very impressive for a Total War launch game since they are used to be better polished with patches after release.

E35793E0995B06F73C1F909F5AC30CA2F4F1B4D9

Sethos

Banned
Im running the games on these settings. It runs very smooth. Sometimes FPS drop, but very impressive for a total war launch game.

E35793E0995B06F73C1F909F5AC30CA2F4F1B4D9

Very smoothed on maxed out, lolyeah. Even with vegetation alpha.

I think the word "smooth" needs a definition here.

I've haven't played this yet even though I have it good to go but why do most of these screenshots look like they need AA really, really bad? There are so many jaggies!

Top Bottom