• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

cripterion

Damn, those shots looks amazing dude. What specs do you have?

By the way: I would recommend Shogun 2 and then Empire (shogun 2 is somewhat more related to Rome 2) and I am not such a fan of Empire, but it's definitively worth playing.

Mark Strong making comments about my general being in danger is pretty damn cool as well. I like the actor and the fact that he is giving me advice is even better

Except when you're playing the Gauls and you still have roman advisors :p

Why upgrading building adds misery ? I have a lot of trouble growing an economy because everything builds misery and unhappiness ... I don't want my people to riot against me

There are some weird things I've just noticed.
If I sometimes click on an enemy fleet the frame rate drops from 45fps to 14fps. When I click off it it goes back up. As usual with a TW game the fleets seem to have issues. The battles generally run fine. So far it's that's the only weird thing I've noticed.

I'm not sure I like the tints sometimes used in the batlles. Maybe they signify a time of day or weather condition?

Kainazzo

I'm not sure I like the tints sometimes used in the batlles. Maybe they signify a time of day or weather condition?

I hope there's a future mod that removes the tint. I understand the atmosphere it can add, but taking it out of Fallout 3/New Vegas made them both look significantly better.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There are some weird things I've just noticed.
If I sometimes click on an enemy fleet the frame rate drops from 45fps to 14fps. When I click off it it goes back up. As usual with a TW game the fleets seem to have issues. The battles generally run fine. So far it's that's the only weird thing I've noticed.

I have that issue clicking on any unit in the campaign map. I'll be holding a steady 30 fps, click on a unit, and it drops to 11-12 fps.

Something is very wrong.

Sethos

Banned
I really should look into that. I keep hearing about it, but I have no idea what it does. Fixes tint, apparently. To Google!

Well, doesn't exactly remove tint per say but it's a tool to adjust colours, brightness, saturation, sharpness, grain, vignetting etc. so you could add some saturation, boost the colours to power through the tint. Quite a few people use SweetFX in tinted games to add some colours and counteract the tint.

Man, maybe I think I'm remembering why I've ended up getting every other Total War game at launch. Got Shogun 2 about a year after launch and it was great. Just playing through the prologue now and wow the performance is rough.

That and whoever designed this massive UI needs to have their heads checked. I like the art style for the unit cards and stuff but this isn't an Ipad game- they could make the UI a bit smaller, wow.

Got to play a quick skirmish before work and this shit was awesome. I never played Rome before but I played Shogun and loved that. I didn't realize I was playing on extreme settings at first but it surprisingly ran pretty well for me but when I ran the benchmark on it it said i was getting an average of 23fps lol!! I'm playing on Very High settings now and am getting between 30-40fps. My rig is aging but it still runs most games pretty well

Here be my specs

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
CPU Speed: 3.8 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Operating System: Windows 8 64 bit
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

Inversive

So i'm sending my spy around checking shit out when I see that the AI is completely retarded when it comes to army composition, this is kinda game breaking imo.

http://imgur.com/a/e7YYi that's right, 17 slingers in one of those armies. Instead of composing their armies of mostly melee infantry they are having 1/2 of their forces as slingers. Unmodded shogun 2 has a similar problem but with archers. In other words CA is just very inept.

Apologies for all the negative posts but I feel extremely let down. I built a PC mostly for this game and people with worse rigs are reporting they can play it smoothly too... /weeps

Hystzen

So i'm sending my spy around checking shit out when I see that the AI is completely retarded when it comes to army composition, this is kinda game breaking imo.

http://imgur.com/a/e7YYi that's right, 17 slingers in one of those armies. Instead of composing their armies of mostly melee infantry they are having 1/2 of their forces as slingers. Unmodded shogun 2 has a similar problem but with archers. In other words CA is just very inept.

Apologies for all the negative posts but I feel extremely let down. I built a PC mostly for this game and people with worse rigs are reporting they can play it smoothly too... /weeps

Even modded Shogun 2 the AI loves them archers it just a odd thing that always happens.
What difficulty you rolling with I doubt it affect the outcome just curious

It seems like those with Nvidia GPUs are not running this game well as opposed to those with AMD GPUs. Is that the case?

Seems like it.

My CPU isn't great at this point to be sure (overclocked X4 955) but my 760 should handle this fine. I can run Shogun 2 at highest settings perfectly fine.

There is definitely something seriously wrong with the game or drivers. I was running the Prologue and even turning things down to low it was a stuttering slideshow. Something is wrong.

Kainazzo

I've abused this to the point where I was completely unprepared when I finally fought a properly composed army. I was used to using 3 Hastati to take out 10 slingers. Reminds me of early Civ V and the AA guns the AI would spam.

There wouldn't be a way to view the encyclopedia online, would there? Need my stats fix at work >_<.

Inversive

Even modded Shogun 2 the AI loves them archers it just a odd thing that always happens.
What difficulty you rolling with I doubt it affect the outcome just curious

Well Darthmod in my experience fixed it (it was even in mod overview that he'd worked on it). I'm playing on Hard. Could just be the Barbarian factions also, i've not explored anywhere else really.

Pinktaco

Can't seperate army...

This seems to be a common problem people have lol..

If you want to seperate your armies you'll have to ride up with a second general and take out the units you no longer want with you.

They've specifically done this so we'd see more large armies and not a ton of random seperate units on the campaign map.

How do you deal with deasease ? I didn't got how but my entire army is smoking a green plague and I have no indication of what it does I don't want to get near a city as I have no idea how to deal with that

Cigol

I love me some total war. Bad AI or not... But the UI is killing it for me. The lack of family trees is something I loved from previous games and wanted expanded, but I see they've practically gutted it from the game as well. Only had a quick go off the campaign so I'll reserve judgement but can't believe I'm contemplating reinstalling the older games on release day. Need to calm down and play it done more lol.

Battles are amazing though. The ui still gets in the way and isn't very helpful, and the camera cuts aren't seamless which is annoying, but all the pretties nearly make up for it.

Probably the worst first impression I've gotten from a total war game.

I have that issue clicking on any unit in the campaign map. I'll be holding a steady 30 fps, click on a unit, and it drops to 11-12 fps.

Something is very wrong.
Exact same thing happened in previous total war games. Probably you only notice it now as the engine seems more erratic and less optimised.

Hmm. There's a rebel army in Sardinia that is being blockaded by Carthage, I think. Anyway, I landed an army but they can't attack. I guess because they're under seige by Carthage, but only by ships, no army, unless it's a marine landing?

How do you deal with deasease ? I didn't got how but my entire army is smoking a green plague and I have no indication of what it does I don't want to get near a city as I have no idea how to deal with that

In old games plague meant that your army was more or less done for (I never found a way to save them and always used them for suicide attacks on my enemies).

It always started from a city and you had to remove the garrison before the city healed a few turns later. So yeah, unless you can find a way to cure them (there may not be), consider them lost and don't take them near to the city.

TheTrain

Someone finished prologue?
After the conquest of Bovanium there is a cutscene and game send me on the main menu', but the prologue do not result finished.
Astonishing btw.

Liha

Banned
Someone finished prologue?
After the conquest of Bovanium there is a cutscene and game send me on the main menu', but the prologue do not result finished.
Astonishing btw.

I had the same problem, I played the last battle once again and it worked.

TheTrain

Here some 1080p screen, nearly maxed out

214950_2013-09-03_000b9uat.png

214950_2013-09-03_000p0u9f.png

214950_2013-09-03_0009ju8e.png

214950_2013-09-03_000j9uub.png

214950_2013-09-03_000g0upg.png

214950_2013-09-03_000twum9.png

214950_2013-09-03_0002quaa.png

214950_2013-09-03_000rnuad.png

KugelBlitz

Neo Member
I was saddened to find there are only 4 historical battles, however for what Rome's historical battles lack in quantity they sure make up for in quality, for I found them to be rather enjoyable! However they also seem to be rather easy, even on Legendary.

Which brings me onto my question; I have completed all the historical battles on legendary, and all of them apart from Teutoburg show that I have done so, is everyone else experiencing this; or is it just me?

The first time I completed Teutoburg, I thought it wasn't counted due to the fact I only made it out with 2/3 eagles, so I attempted it again and eventually got 3/3, yet it still didn't count it.

Kayhan

Anyone else have trouble with flickering textures?

Its like the they update/load too slow.......

Pics unrelated.

Martian

Hmm, the achievements are not that hard. I mostly see things that I will get in a full playthrough, I want more achievements that make you play the game in a different way.

I remember Napoleon having an achievement of winning a battle using only light infantry and artillery, and winning a campaign sponsoring your enemies with gold.

Ah well, if those are the biggest problems:p

Herne

I really wish they'd let us control our garrisons. Can't seperate units from a general, fair enough. But, playing as Carthage, I have to deal with Rome, Syracuse and multiple barbarian factions, and all three of my armies are constantly busy. Big surprise, the enemy brings an army to one of my cities and I can do shit about it. Would it be so hard to let us have a large garrison force and not rely on the pithy little amount of troops that the game gives us?

Sigh.

Paskil

Thread title is amazing! I'm going to have to give this a shot at one point since I haven't played the first. Would a 4GB 760GTX be able to handle everything on max? I have a feeling I'm going to SLI at some point prior to Witcher 3 release, and I suppose, why not for this game if it will help. I watched a few videos for the first game and the scope of battles, along with the level of detail is pretty incredible.

Azulsky

It seems like those with Nvidia GPUs are not running this game well as opposed to those with AMD GPUs. Is that the case?

Yes at least until Nvidia releases a patch. Currently Geforce Experience does not even detect the game and there is no SLI scaling.

Same thing happened with Shogun.

Top Bottom