• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

I love me some total war. Bad AI or not... But the UI is killing it for me. The lack of family trees is something I loved from previous games and wanted expanded, but I see they've practically gutted it from the game as well. Only had a quick go off the campaign so I'll reserve judgement but can't believe I'm contemplating reinstalling the older games on release day. Need to calm down and play it done more lol.

Yeah, I've only done the prologue and started to scratch the surface of the campaign but I really don't get why they got rid of the family tree stuff. How they added to that system in Shogun 2 was one of my favorite parts of that game. Really odd how they got rid of that.

The UI is really odd too. Its like they took the nice aspect of Shogun 2 in making the UI icons somewhat period appropriate but the actual design of the UI is atrocious. Big step back from Shogun 2.

Probably the worst first impression I've gotten from a total war game.
I'd have to agree. And I liked Empire at launch. This period of history is probably one of my favorites but coming off of Shogun 2, this seems like a step back in a lot of odd ways, with simple things like the UI.

At least I got the game running somewhat smoothly again. It seems alt tabbing kills the game's performance on my PC.

Lach

I'm quite happy with the performance though I have quite strong pc. Most things on extreme and I get an average of 40fps during battles. Looks quite well apart from zombie soldiers which seems to be mostly a problem of low texture and weird shadowing.

My rig:
i7 2600K @ 4,8 GHz
1600 MB Ram
GTX 770 (slightly oc'd with Asus GPU Teak)

Load times are ok even without ssd...

Kainazzo

There isn't any SLI support yet? Thank god, I thought it was chugging along even with 2x 780s. An 80% boost will definitely help things, hopefully on top of a driver update.

valouris

It seems alt tabbing kills the game's performance on my PC.

This. I too noticed this, it pretty much kills performance. When I first started the game I was very surprised at my performance, and after an alt-tab it quickly went downhill. There may be other things that could cause this during gameplay..

Herne

So much for my pre-game plan to build an economic empire and hit Rome from a place of strength. I got destroyed early on normal difficulty, started again on easy and still every faction declares war on me, refuses to trade with me, and so on. I only have about five turns or so before Rome declares and then the next few turns are desperate struggles followed by every other faction declaring war and my being destroyed or giving up. Five years of game time and it's all over, while Rome parades it's many generals and admirals all over the Mediterranean for which they can pay through some inexplicable economic might.

I'm quite disappointed in the game, not just because of the difficulty (it warns Carthage is hard, which is fair enough), but because of so many little things, most of which I can't articulate about right now. The absurd unit panel that gives no useful information at all. The lack of details throughout the UI. The retarded garrison system.

Just so very disappointed.

Inversive

Any suggestions for building a desktop for Rome 2 from the ground up, to play on extreme settings? Thanks!

I would advise waiting until they actually optimize the game first. I should be able to play on ultra/extreme but instead i'm on medium with an extremely 'laggy' campaign map.

I would advise waiting until they actually optimize the game first. I should be able to play on ultra/extreme but instead i'm on medium with an extremely 'laggy' campaign map.

best suggestion is to wait until a performance patch comes out as the current cards aren't maxing this game at the moment

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=600246 then post there when/if you need more advise.

Thanks, will hold fire until they've patched it then!

Yeah, same here. Siege battles are the worst.

I can only hope CA and Nvidia will have some first fixes in a matter of days.

The retarded garrison system.

What's wrong with the garrison system? It's too early to say for sure, but I feel like this is the best solution they came up with yet.

Inversive

What's wrong with the garrison system? It's too early to say for sure, but I feel like this is the best solution they came up with yet.

What card do you have? It seems to me like people with 600-700 series have the most trouble. Mine is a 760.

Herne

Don't you think it would've been better if we had some sort of control over it? Decide where our income goes - say on having a bigger garrison for our cities? Because when I'm being swarmed by the enemy and I'm desperately fighting them off, the tiny amount of troops that remain in the cities have no chance at all against the monster armies the AI is fielding.

RulkezX

Is teh texture thing a universal problem ?

Performance wise the game is fine on my 560ti and 2500k OC @4.4 , but it looks like a PS2 game with the mega shitty textures....

Kainazzo

Don't you think it would've been better if we had some sort of control over it? Decide where our income goes - say on having a bigger garrison for our cities? Because when I'm being swarmed by the enemy and I'm desperately fighting them off, the tiny amount of troops that remain in the cities have no chance at all against the monster armies the AI is fielding.

You don't even need to worry about huge armies. Five times now Lilybaeum has been retaken by Carthage with just a single general, on a BOAT. Garrison forces need to replenish after conquest, so I have 1 velites and 2 mobs vs. 24 guys on a boat. The velites take them down to ~15, and then the general proceeds to kill everyone.

This game Carthage already has fleets of 1-ship navies and as many general-only armies. I can't leave any new city alone because a general will come and single-handily take it. I have to wonder if the AI's trying to cheat CA's new system.

Herne

You don't even need to worry about huge armies. Five times now Lilybaeum has been retaken by Carthage with just a single general, on a BOAT. Garrison forces need to replenish after conquest, so I have 1 velites and 2 mobs vs. 24 guys on a boat. The velites take them down to ~15, and then the general proceeds to kill everyone.

This game Carthage already has fleets of 1-ship navies and as many general-only armies. I can't leave any new city alone because a general will come and single-handily take it. I have to wonder if the AI's trying to cheat CA's new system.

That made me laugh, I have to admit. But yeah, it seems the new AI is screwy... nobody will trade, nobody will ally despite fighting the same enemies and having good relations, factions running around with many more generals than I could support... sigh. I thought we'd be getting something more advanced than before, where the AI doesn't immediately get the best of everything, but apparently not.

Pinktaco

what the hell.. do we get a morale penalty when playing on hard setting? I'm playing as suebi and my first battle against the enemy is pretty much impossible for me to win. Slingers are usually 100% useless. I've tried with them 3 times now and they usually never kill much. I then decided to go full spear levy (19 units of spear). I had an army of 3000 soldiers versus.. something less (like 2600 soldiers or so) and yet my guys flee the battle at any given moment. They are so hard to keep in line even when they outnumber the enemy.

I really dunno what to do because the starting army isn't enough, recruiting more (which I've done so far) means the enemy will also get more. Alternatively I can always try and research to swordsmen, but that'll take time :(

I realize the barbarians might have a worse morale than other factions, but when I'm fighting other barbarians it should be the same, which is why I'm wondering if the enemy either get a morale buff on hard or I get a penalty.

What is sad is that Suebi is considered "easy" and I've played Rome 1, Medieval 2, Empire and Shogun 2 so the I'm not exactly new to the game <.<

Azulsky

There isn't any SLI support yet? Thank god, I thought it was chugging along even with 2x 780s. An 80% boost will definitely help things, hopefully on top of a driver update.

I got zero improvement on the benchmark

Mostly the fact that it isnt picked up by Geforce experience was telling that they just havent released a driver yet.

Inversive

what the hell.. do we get a morale penalty when playing on hard setting? I'm playing as suebi and my first battle against the enemy is pretty much impossible for me to win. Slingers are usually 100% useless. I've tried with them 3 times now and they usually never kill much. I then decided to go full spear levy (19 units of spear). I had an army of 3000 soldiers versus.. something less (like 2600 soldiers or so) and yet my guys flee the battle at any given moment. They are so hard to keep in line even when they outnumber the enemy.

I really dunno what to do because the starting army isn't enough, recruiting more (which I've done so far) means the enemy will also get more. Alternatively I can always try and research to swordsmen, but that'll take time :(

I realize the barbarians might have a worse morale than other factions, but when I'm fighting other barbarians it should be the same, which is why I'm wondering if the enemy either get a morale buff on hard or I get a penalty.

What is sad is that Suebi is considered "easy" and I've played Rome 1, Medieval 2, Empire and Shogun 2 so the I'm not exactly new to the game <.<
I'm playing Rome on hard and i've seen an entire battle line of enemy troops start wavering the exact second my Hastati charged (and make contact obviously). I guess the morale system is as borked as everything else?

Herne

I hear you. I've been playing the other games on VH/VH for years now, this is the first game I've played on easy and been destroyed in about five years worth of game time. Something is very wrong somewhere.

I'm shocked to see there is no SLI support.

Nvidia usually has its act together when it comes to getting SLI support ready for launch.

Any word on when this is coming? They need a SLI profile STAT!!!!!

Pinktaco

I'm playing Rome on hard and i've seen an entire battle line of enemy troops start wavering the exact second my Hastati charged (and make contact obviously). I guess the morale system is as borked as everything else?

That makes zero sense lol. I'll keep trying, but if I cannot even beat the first tribe I'm against it's going to be a struggle <.<

Azulsky

mkenyon

Banned
I'm shocked to see there is no SLI support.

Nvidia usually has its act together when it comes to getting SLI support ready for launch.

Any word on when this is coming? They need a SLI profile STAT!!!!!
You can make custom SLI profiles.

*edit*

Also, this is exactly what we are talking about when we tell people to avoid SLI that don't enjoy tinkering with settings :p

Azulsky

*edit*

Also, this is exactly what we are talking about when we tell people to avoid SLI that don't enjoy tinkering with settings :p

I didn't have time this morning to get into it. I was doing that whole bit still half asleep trying to down a cup of coffee.

Probably my first thing to do when I get home.

Martian

Weird that so many of you have problems with the difficulty settings.
I always play on easy and in every game before shogun2 i could actually win. In Shogun 2 I got my ass kicked even on easy.
Now its a lot easier on the lowest difficulty IMHO

Sethos

Banned
Suuuuuuuuure.

Sethos, what settings are you using to force SLI? I assume you are, anyway.

None, running it out-of-the-box.

On another note, what the fuck is up with that AI? We've played like 15 custom battles now in every scenario and they are piss easy. We started with Normal and it got too easy. Moved up to Hard and not much happened and then Very Hard. I'm not kidding, two of the scenarios I was just standing still and my friend took out two armies and won the game ... on Very Hard.

What the fuck?

Their playstyle is so pathetic.

What card do you have? It seems to me like people with 600-700 series have the most trouble. Mine is a 760.

I have a 660. There is no way I should have to use the predefined medium setting to get more than 30 fps.

I am not sure I get your point. Are you not aware that in addition to the "automatic" garrisons spawned by buildings, you are always free to leave armies in cities? Sure, those unity are not free of upkeep like the garrisons are, but that has always been the case for exceptionally large garrisons throughout the series.

Why did they need to "innovate" with the UI? Shogun 2's UI was spot on, if they would have just skinned that for the "roman"-era it would have worked just fine.
So in order to "innovate" they moved the info panel to the left edge of the screen.. why? You press an icon in the middle of the screen and instead of having all the information right there, you have to pan your gaze all the way to the left. I really don't get it.. how could they've missed this, it's like they've hired a beginner to do the UI... really annoying..

Zafir

Good heavens. I jumped straight into coop campaign with a friend and the turn swapping takes FOREVER. There's just so many "Factions" to go through. I thought Shogun 2 was bad for it, but this makes Shogun 2 look quick.

Hope single player is quicker for it...

Herne

I am not sure I get your point. Are you not aware that in addition to the "automatic" garrisons spawned by buildings, you are always free to leave armies in cities? Sure, those unity are not free of upkeep like the garrisons are, but that has always been the case for exceptionally large garrisons throughout the series.

I am, but playing as a major faction such as Carthage I need my armies out in the field if I'm going to make any dent in the enemy or defend my overseas territories. But because of the high difficulty, even on the easiest setting, the enemy is running around with more generals and admirals than I can support. I can support three armies in my current game - one is in Sicily, one is in southern Italy, and the other is in Carthage. How then to defend Karalis, Qart'Hadasht? I can defend Lilybaeum or Syracuse with the Sicilian army, but not both.

So wouldn't it have been so much better to be able to specify and allocate troops to garrison my cities, instead of relying on the tiny amount of crap troops the game gives you? And I suppose you could say, what is my army doing in Italy when it could be defending Karalis... well, I have to attack at some point to make a dent in my opponent's armour, don't I? I can't be defending all the time.

*edit*

Yeah, SLI was NOT a good way to go being more of a novice at these things.

I've learned my lesson.

From now on I am sticking with a single GPU solution.

Kainazzo

I've learned my lesson.

Wouldn't get rid of your current SLI setup, I'm sure nVidia will have it out soon. I hope >_>.

Multiple GPUs can be awesome when everything works; it's pretty much a straight 80% boost across the board. It's also way more expensive, power/space hungry, and complicated versus a single GPU. Plus: microstutter. In an ideal world, I'd stick with the single GPU. Part of me is hoping that Windows gaming will pull an Amiga and come to an end (and onto a new OS), so I'll be able to build a single machine that plays them all well, forever.

Martian

Im pleasantly surprised at the amount of TW players on Gaf. I knew the series were growing, but looking at the speed of this thread it looks like it has a lot of fans!

I've learned my lesson.

Well, at the time of purchasing my cards (680 SLI), the Titan wasn't announced and the cost of a 690 was far greater than the two 680's, even for the performance boost it gave. It just wasn't worth the price.

The frustrating problem I'm having with PC gaming is the fact that regardless of how powerful your rig is...a poorly optimised game (Rome II) will render it unplayable. I dream of a day when you spend your ludicrous amounts to build a rig...then just turn it on and crank every game to Ultra with max AA...and get 70+ FPS with zero hiccup or drops.

I am, but playing as a major faction such as Carthage I need my armies out in the field if I'm going to make any dent in the enemy or defend my overseas territories. But because of the high difficulty, even on the easiest setting, the enemy is running around with more generals and admirals than I can support. I can support three armies in my current game - one is in Sicily, one is in southern Italy, and the other is in Carthage. How then to defend Karalis, Qart'Hadasht? I can defend Lilybaeum or Syracuse with the Sicilian army, but not both.

So wouldn't it have been so much better to be able to specify and allocate troops to garrison my cities, instead of relying on the tiny amount of crap troops the game gives you? And I suppose you could say, what is my army doing in Italy when it could be defending Karalis... well, I have to attack at some point to make a dent in my opponent's armour, don't I? I can't be defending all the time.

I see your problem, but I don't think it's a fault of the garrison system.

Not sure if you played the previous games of the series, but leaving large garrisons in all of your cities would cripple your offense in pretty much every iteration. While Rome II limits the amount of generals/admirals and thereby the amount of armies you can field, there has always been a stress on a balance between defense and offense due to upkeep costs. With the old system, every unit that exceeded the default garrison size had a negative effect on your income. Which is why leaving large garrisons always lead to a weak offense.

I've only played for a few hours (naturally) and only as Rome, but I feel like for most parts of the map it is now significantly easier to effectively protect most of your cities by blocking passages with offensive, advancing armies. I actually felt like there was less need of strong garrison than with previous games. That said, I would not be surprised if Rome was just the easiest starting point and Carthage the hardest in the game. I play on Hard and Rome was incredibly easy to start with. I am ~40 turns in and considering to start a new campaign on Legendary, because I am already filthy rich. Maybe you should try another faction and get more comfortable with the game before revisiting Carthage.

Gaz_RB

Sparta is just as awesome as I thought it would be.

I'm starting to get used to the technical problems to the point where it's not bothering me. Still looking forward to a fix in the future, but I fear it will come after GTA V, and my time playing this game will be limited after September 17th

Just recruited Leonidas and have a bromance brewing with Athens.

Gonna unite Greece and kill Rome.

DrBo42

Sparta is just as awesome as I thought it would be.

I'm starting to get used to the technical problems to the point where it's not bothering me. Still looking forward to a fix in the future, but I fear it will come after GTA V, and my time playing this game will be limited after September 17th

Just recruited Leonidas and have a bromance brewing with Athens.

Gonna unite Greece and kill Rome.

Athens wanted almost 3000 gold from me to ally. Athenai was razed as a result. Athens' days are numbered.

Gaz_RB

Athens wanted almost 3000 gold from me to ally. Athenai was razed as a result. Athens' days are numbered.

Yeah Athens is kind of a greedy bitch. Need a bro to fight Macedonia with though.

Finally getting to that point where the token Total War one more turn addiction is kicking in. They made a pretty bad UI but it's fine once you get over the learning curve of where everything is. Still think they changed too much from Shogun 2 though. That game was Total War perfection. Hopefully with some patches and mods we'll have this up to snuff in no time.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Hell I cant figure out what to do in the first battle of the prologue! I keep losing, not sure why. After I take out the seige engines I start towards the city. The advisor guy keeps telling me to cross the shallow part of the river and aid the city.... so I enter the city but then what? I have sent units to all the capture points, I have sent units to consul, I have tried moving all around the city and tried attacking the enemy units on the bridge. No matter what I do I get yelled at for not aiding Capua and then it tells me the Consul has died and its game over (even though the consul is sitting in the middle of the city untouched.) I've tried like 5 different times. What am I supposed to be doing?

Gaz_RB

Hell I cant figure out what to do in the first battle of the prologue! I keep losing, not sure why. After I take out the seige engines I start towards the city. The advisor guy keeps telling me to cross the shallow part of the river and aid the city.... so I enter the city but then what? I have sent units to all the capture points, I have sent units to consul, I have tried moving all around the city and tried attacking the enemy units on the bridge. No matter what I do I get yelled at for not aiding Capua and then it tells me the Consul has died and its game over (even though the consul is sitting in the middle of the city untouched.) I've tried like 5 different times. What am I supposed to be doing?

The prologue is a mess. I just skipped it and jumped into a campaign. It's way too buggy right now

Top Bottom