• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

Kislev and the Border Princes might be diverse enough to warrant playability, but Brets and the Empire are the big ones AFAIK. Unless they go over the mountains... Isn't that where the China analogies is supposed to be? I know they never got much love on the tabletop.
Not a lot of information on the Cathay.

Violet_0

Banned
Although, their ingenuity, making a horse out of men, has gotta be straight from the real Vampire Count's playbook.

they pretty much worship the knights, which is why they are carrying around a dead dude and all his belongings into the battlefield
http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99810203010_BretonnianGrailReliquae01.jpg

the peasants are the lowiest of the lowest, shitstained and treated as expendable by the nobility. All those knights in shining armor, chivalry nonsense and their fancy castles are a facade, Bretonnia is a just a somewhat exaggerated version of a typical medieval society. As always, there aren't really any actual good guys in Warhammer
Are there other human factions besides them that they might add?

Bretonnia seems to be based on French knights, and Empire (germanic holy roman empire).
Middenheim (already in the game, but not currently playable/no unique units yet) are a subfaction of the Empire that has a old-Germanic theme. Kislev, also Empire, which is heavily inspired by Russian military. Araby, with strong Arabian influences obviously, but they never really had their own army list iirc. Cathay, Asia-themed, barely anything is known about them, they are located in a far-away region in the east. Tilea, a merchant city-state modeled after Genua, employs various mercenary armies. The Border Princes, tiny poverty-ridden settlements at the edge of the Empire ruled over mostly by local robber barons. And the Chaos barbarians/vikings in the north, of course. But Empire and Bretonnia are the main ones, only they got regular army books

im glad i got this game for 12 dollars so cant really complain but I really do not agree or like their DLC practices.

Chaos cut from the game even though it was ready for launch + not many starting factions.

Middenheim actually makes a lot of sense for an Empire subfaction. Toddbringer is already in, and they have some special buildings in that region IIRC.

Edit: They worship Ulric instead of Sigmar, with some different buildings because of it. That's what I was thinking of.

Middenheim actually makes a lot of sense for an Empire subfaction. Toddbringer is already in, and they have some special buildings in that region IIRC.

Plus, they're supposed to be your big early game rivals playing as Empire. Making Todbringer a proper LL leading a subfaction makes a lot of sense.

Violet_0

Banned

Edit: They worship Ulric instead of Sigmar, with some different buildings because of it. That's what I was thinking of.

and they only have about three unique units that would all be reskins anyway - greathammer knights, greathammer infantry and Ulric priests. It wouln't require much effort for a quick DLC. Kislev would be a bit more work, but they're also standard Empire troops for the most part

going to try my hand on the map editor now, the current selection of battle maps is rather disappointing. I didn't play TW: Empire much aside from custom battles but they used to have large cities and villages to fight in, something I really miss in this game. Too bad these don't work in the campaign

and they only have about three unique units that would all be reskins anyway - greathammer knights, greathammer infantry and Ulric priests. It wouln't require much effort for a quick DLC. Kislev would be a bit more work, but they're also standard Empire troops for the most part

going to try my hand on the map editor now, the current selection of battle maps is rather disappointing. I didn't play TW: Empire much aside from custom battles but they used to have large cities and villages to fight in, something I really miss in this game. Too bad these don't work in the campaign

They actually will work in the campaign, once they patch whatever. You can kinda fiddle with stuff atm to make it work but they'll officially add support soon(or maybe it's already done, I saw a video on it like a week ago). Obviously still need to download mods/activate them but then you can set your custom maps to certain regions on the world map and they'll open when the conditions are fulfilled(either all the time, or like only if one of the army is chaos/vc and stuff like that, looks pretty cool).

Originally they "couldn't do it" but since some modders figured how to do it, they apparently decided to copy that so everyone can do it after they update the builder(it might be tied to the patch coming next week with Bret).

Violet_0

Banned
They actually will work in the campaign, once they patch whatever. You can kinda fiddle with stuff atm to make it work but they'll officially add support soon(or maybe it's already done, I saw a video on it like a week ago). Obviously still need to download mods/activate them but then you can set your custom maps to certain regions on the world map and they'll open when the conditions are fulfilled(either all the time, or like only if one of the army is chaos/vc and stuff like that, looks pretty cool).

Originally they "couldn't do it" but since some modders figured how to do it, they apparently decided to copy that so everyone can do it after they update the builder(it might be tied to the patch coming next week with Bret).

oh cool, thanks
so, is it possible to make scripted scenario battles in the editor as well?

In my current Beastmen campaign I haven't fought a single battle manually so far, at turn ~125.

Getting Heroic Victories as Bretonnia is going to be an uphill climb for me...

[Super Late Edit]
Huh. So you can get Bretonnia a day early (27th) if you log into Total War Access, CA's new forum, on the 27th.

Also, Isabella von Carstein is part of the free content plans. They slotted her presuming they'd win the MWNL campaign, which means that the only thing left is the mysterious "Old Friend."
ss_c542b48cf73baf429bcd01ad68a602d20436fc3e.jpg

karnage10

Banned
im glad i got this game for 12 dollars so cant really complain but I really do not agree or like their DLC practices.

Chaos cut from the game even though it was ready for launch + not many starting factions.

tbf i kinda wish chaos wasn't playable, of all the factions it feels incredibly tacked on on the campaign side. You don't behave like the everchosen at all, you behave more like an opportunist bastard that never fights.
I also feel that most DLC is worth the price if you are using it, the new factions feel very different (however the mini campaigns are as disappointing as ever) and the Lord packs add a lot of variety to old factions (the new Lords and RoR bring a lot of new strategies), i was also happy that the blood pack added new animations instead of just painting the models.
Just like with paradox games, DLC feel worthwhile to use and also fuel some free content. I get that for those just joining in it feels a lot of money for 1 game but the truth is you don't need to buy the DLC; just like with paradox you only buy the DLC if you want to expand the game. For some people, the base game + free content will be enough.
I much prefer this model of business instead of discarding a good game that can still be upgraded for a sequel that changes too much.

In my current Beastmen campaign I haven't fought a single battle manually so far, at turn ~125.

Getting Heroic Victories as Bretonnia is going to be an uphill climb for me...

[Super Late Edit]
Huh. So you can get Bretonnia a day early (27th) if you log into Total War Access, CA's new forum, on the 27th.

Also, Isabella von Carstein is part of the free content plans. They slotted her presuming they'd win the MWNL campaign, which means that the only thing left is the mysterious "Old Friend."

Keeping my hopes up that we still get at least 2 LL for empire, 1 LL for WE, 2 LL for brettonia, 1 LL for dwarf, 1 LL for GS and RoR for brettonia. A bit less hopefull for kislev but i'd enjoy that.

Nere

Okey so for a long time now I have been playing with a better AI mod from the workshop and today I decided to deactivate it and play an Empire game without it. The game is really a cakewalk. I got declared war 3 times on 100 turns and only the wood elves actually sent an army against me. After turn 70 on which I had dominated the surrounding area I decided to attack one of the bretonnia kingdoms which was 13th in strength rank. They were holding around 7 cities so I thought they will provide a challenge, so guess how many armies they had ..... 0 literally 0 armies they didn't even try to defend themselves. After seeing this I quit and deleted the save and won't deactivate the mod again. I suggest to all to try a better AI mod, it makes the game way more interesting and challenging. I was playing on very hard by the way.

Okey so for a long time now I have been playing with a better AI mod from the workshop and today I decided to deactivate it and play an Empire game without it. The game is really a cakewalk. I got declared war 3 times on 100 turns and only the wood elves actually sent an army against me. After turn 70 on which I had dominated the surrounding area I decided to attack one of the bretonnia kingdoms which was 13th in strength rank. They were holding around 7 cities so I thought they will provide a challenge, so guess how many armies they had ..... 0 literally 0 armies they didn't even try to defend themselves. After seeing this I quit and deleted the save and won't deactivate the mod again. I suggest to all to try a better AI mod, it makes the game way more interesting and challenging. I was playing on very hard by the way.

Well that's bizarre. I'm on normal and spent way more time dealing with enemies than you seemed to.

lol the bigger the strength is the weaker they are. Ever wonder why the player is usually rank 1 ? Because you have the most armies lol.

Is there an issue with downloading the free dlc?

Whenever I click it in my steam it just opens up the splash page to launch the game, and clicking it from in the game it pops up a 'do you have steam installed?' question and even if I click yes, it does nothing

karnage10

Banned
Is there an issue with downloading the free dlc?

Whenever I click it in my steam it just opens up the splash page to launch the game, and clicking it from in the game it pops up a 'do you have steam installed?' question and even if I click yes, it does nothing

the DLc should be added the momment you press the download button, you don't need to say that you have steam installed. to confirm you have the DLC installed just sellect the game and it should say what DLC you have or you can right-click ->properties -> DLC tab.
I heard rumors that if you are using steam family sharing you can't use the free DLC.

This is really weird and it never happened to me. I also play on VH and the AI mostly works (chaos and beastmen are the only factions that derp a bit). You suere you had no more mods installed?
that said total war is not a hard game if you have patience and a good understanding of your forces.

karnage10

Banned
Patch notes released here
Here is the bonus patch notes which details the changes in spells and abilities.

For those that don't want to read everything here is what i consider major changes:
  • Reduced the accuracy of the Campaign AI assessment of player movement extents to improve game balance on lower difficulty settings.
  • Siege towers/Gates are now working correctly in a Marienberg siege battle.
  • Added 2 more defensive siege battle maps for the Wood Elves faction, also available in Custom Battle Mode.
  • More replay desynchronizations have been fixed.
  • reworked cost and effects of most spells
  • black coach damage buff + abilities can now stack.
  • Changed Wood Elves campaign behaviour to be isolationist with occasional bursts of aggression, better reflecting the lore.

here is what i consider minor but important for my immersion:
  • Improved Khazrak’s attack animations in battle when mounted on his Beast Chariot.
  • The Gorebull's Axe will no longer be misaligned to his hand when swapping between some animations in battle.
  • Post-battle stats are now available for second/ally enemies on the post-battle loading screens.
  • The Red Duke can no longer gain titles after his name.
  • buffs for GS savage units

Llyranor

Yeah, you really can't beat 12$. Doubt it will be cheaper than that anytime soon.

Afaik, Bretonnia is just free-LC, not a time-limited thing.

Do you even need to download any of these free-LCs (like individual free Lords), or are they automatically added/patched in?

The free ones in the store need to be manually downloaded, but some were also patched directly into the game.
Months? It's $12 right now, with other games included on Humble Monthly. Not gonna get a better deal than that anytime soon.

Any year soon, you mean.

Still shook that it happened at all...

Update: Chaos proper finally showed up in the form of Archaon and that Ever-Watchful guy. Suffered a real bad loss to the latter one which chewed up a pair of armies, but after that the AI's strategic weakness got put on display; rather than blitzing to my now-undefended nearby provinces, they dicked around, sieging and unsieging a nearby Nordland port and finishing off Kislev, which gave me the time I needed to march up my third pre-upgrade army (I was holding Franz and one more back in Reikland to fully upgrade) and rally the other Imperial province into the area. Archaon tried to solo siege Wolfsmund, and I took the opportunity to crush the life out of him. Didn't even have to fight it manually, one autobattle and he was done. AI needs to learn when to fold 'em. Assassinated the Ever-Watchful a couple turns later too, and crushed what was left of his army.

Meanwhile, in the South, I got roped into the Dwarves' wars against the Wood Elves and the border princes for some goddamn stupid reason, and the Elves marched into Wissenland, so that slowed down my army building. Trapped and destroyed Durthu, but for some misbegotten reason Orion decided the smart play was to run over to Western Sylvania so I gotta put out that fire at some point. Wish he'd just accept my damn peace offer. He stopped fighting the Dwarves, just go away and let me handle what's left of Chaos.

ElyrionX

Been wanting to start a new campaign since last week but held back because of the incoming patch. Can't wait to get back TO THE ELECTOR COUNTS.

Coming of Witcher 3 it feels Bretonnia is Toussaint Knights. I really like it :D
Right now I am on turn 62 - I play as Bordeaux and I finally destroy Mousillion. It took hours and had to do the petty thing of doing a hard load two times because they start with two 20/20 armies.

I am trying to make the other Bretonnia human factions vassals so we can destroy the elfs and the beast men. But the others don't want to be my vassals:( we are in military alliances and they have a high favor towards me but no avail.

I like these faction leaders, but one thing I miss from older Total War games is the ability to marry off. The family trees. and them having kids that come off age and rivalries. It is really noticeable and missing from Bretonnia because it has that whole aspect with chivalry, knighthood, princesses and so on.

The personalized experiences of marrying off your princesses and generals as diplomatic tools also gave you a lot of individualized experiences.

Jesus these dlc factions just are not fun to play at all.. Someone please tell me how can you survive with bretonnia? Im playing at very hard and its just impossible to survive past the 30th turn.

First you have a problem with the faction that inhabits Marienburg and the orks in the mountains. If you go for the human faction first, you just cant beat it head on. Its impossible. If you go marching to Marienburg you get your ass handed to you. And even if you could win you would have zero armies left for the incoming uprisings and the full orc stack heading your way.

If you decide to go for the orcs instead you have like 5 turns to wipe them out because by then there are one or two full stack armies marching to your capital (which you cant win because you cant access any better units.)

The only way I could survive the first 10 turns (and this works everytime) is to settle Gorssel. Then the human faction in Marienburg accepts your peace treaty. Which still leaves the uprisings and orcs.... Also you will always lose Gorssel because of the incoming uprising (at this point there are two uprisings incoming, one in your capitol and one will come to Gorssel when you leave to defend your capitol.) I literally wasted like 10 turns fighting against two uprisings while I tried to get closer to the orc capital. Your capitol gets like -20 control per turn.

In my last game by some weird stroke of luck Nordland offered to help wipe the orcs for some money. Obviously I accepted and the orcs were gone. Couple of turns later skaeling attacked with two full stack armies and I just quit.

These weird restrictions on how many armies you can have are just ridiculous. Not only do you have only bad units (the peasants), you cant even have more than one full stack (I cant really even have a full stack without the income debuff because there is no way I can settle and defend like two more cities with one army.) Its just not enough when everyone strolls around you with atleast two armies. I have similiar problems with all the dlc factions except the new vampires which I havent tried yet.

Sorry for long post and any advice is greatly appriciated. xD

Violet_0

Banned
I'm playing a co-op WE/Empire campaign as Durthu and it's a bit of a struggle as well. You can only really get gold from the other WE factions cities but every single one of them is too strong at the start (garrisons), and they actually grow faster than you as well. At least in co-op. My role right now is mainly being an enabler for the Empire. I can't even really go pillaging because they need the cities we conquer intact. We're winning, but I only have one real city and no damn gold despite putting everything into economy

I'm playing a co-op WE/Empire campaign as Durthu and it's a bit of a struggle as well. You can only really get gold from the other WE factions cities but every single one of them is too strong at the start (garrisons), and they actually grow faster than you as well. At least in co-op. My role right now is mainly being an enabler for the Empire. I can't even really go pillaging because they need the cities we conquer intact. We're winning, but I only have one real city and no damn gold despite putting everything into economy

I won the Welf campaign by basically bribing the dwarfs for like 20 rounds to get a military alliance with them. I was able to secure some money from sacking border princess's and tilea's capitol.

It was the most boring game I have ever played. The whole game was just hoping that none of my neighbours would walk in with 3 armies to destroy everything I have (which they could have done almost at any point in the game so I was alive just because the AI decided to let me live.) Only places I was able to settle were my fellow wood elf's capitols (I got lucky since they decided to leave and once the coast was clear I made a surprice attack.)

But yeah, it was just waiting for one faction to get big enough. Once that happens you need to sack a capitol or two to get loads of cash with which to bribe them to agree to a military alliance and game won.

Violet_0

Banned
Sändersson;231278835 said:
I won the Welf campaign by basically bribing the dwarfs for like 20 rounds to get a military alliance with them. I was able to secure some money from sacking border princess's and tilea's capitol.

It was the most boring game I have ever played. The whole game was just hoping that none of my neighbours would walk in with 3 armies to destroy everything I have (which they could have done almost at any point in the game so I was alive just because the AI decided to let me live.) Only places I was able to settle were my fellow wood elf's capitols (I got lucky since they decided to leave and once the coast was clear I made a surprice attack.)

But yeah, it was just waiting for one faction to get big enough. Once that happens you need to sack a capitol or two to get loads of cash with which to bribe them to agree to a military alliance and game won.

one nice/maybe not so nice thing about WE is that the tier 1 units are pretty much as good as most of their late game stuff, aside from treekins/ancients/dragons/riders. The archers pretty all much perform the same and their special melee elven units aren't generally much better than Lord-army and Branchwraith buffed dryads (though they deal a bit more damage). So with Durthu, a bunch of archers and dryads and a few treekins you already have a pretty respectable army

Sändersson;231274927 said:
Jesus these dlc factions just are not fun to play at all.. Someone please tell me how can you survive with bretonnia? Im playing at very hard and its just impossible to survive past the 30th turn.

Sorry for long post and any advice is greatly appriciated. xD

What I usually do (starting as Leonceur) is blitz the Skulltakers. You can beat them on turn 2 with your starting stack and raze their settlement. That handles the Greenskin incursions. Then I sit back and play defensive for a while, making buddies with Lyonesse and Artois. If I can get military alliances from them I make a second stack of mostly peasant troops (hold the good stuff back to guard against Marienburg) and start doing some expeditions against Mousillon.

Ideally you want to research the tech that lets you confederate with Artois and Lyonesse ASAP. That'll give you the income and peasant surplus you need to start going on the offensive against Marienburg, the Beastmen/Wood Elves, or anyone else you feel like fighting.

Also fighting the Norscans is pretty easy money early on, if you just stick to raiding and sacking the closest areas.

karnage10

Banned

Get the tree to level 3 to get the ability to confederate other WE factions.
I manage to get the amber by wiping out estalia, tilea, parravon and crocked moon. Estalia and tilea are great targets at the beginning of the game because they don't have allies.
I don't know what is the best strategy when co-oping with empire, however i would wipe crocked moon and karak norn, then either aid the empire player to get to akendorf and then press against GS/Dwarfs or go after norzca.

one nice/maybe not so nice thing about WE is that the tier 1 units are pretty much as good as most of their late game stuff, aside from treekins/ancients/dragons/riders. The archers pretty all much perform the same and their special melee elven units aren't generally much better than Lord-army and Branchwraith buffed dryads (though they deal a bit more damage). So with Durthu, a bunch of archers and dryads and a few treekins you already have a pretty respectable army

I think most of the wood elf units were awesome and I really enjoyed the battles. 1v1 that is. :p

Top Bottom