• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

All this Beastmen talk got me to play one more Beastmen campaign before the hammer goes down on the Wood Elves. I must make them pay in their current form; just won't be the same after the patch.
question about beastmen.

I am playing the vanilla game without any DLC at all. Are the beastmen that are roaming around different from the DLC ones, or does the DLC just allow me to play as that faction?

I think in the Beastmen's case the DLC just unlocks them and adds the minicampaign. For Chaos, without the DLC they have a reduced unit roster.

Twinduct

Honestly confused with some of the talk of future plans. Sometimes it sounds like some of the new Races/ map enhancements will come from an expansion and other times they're talking about it as if it's TW:W2.

All this Beastmen talk got me to play one more Beastmen campaign before the hammer goes down on the Wood Elves. I must make them pay in their current form; just won't be the same after the patch.

I think in the Beastmen's case the DLC just unlocks them and adds the minicampaign. For Chaos, without the DLC they have a reduced unit roster.

so those huge cow beast things are still in the vanilla game, i just cant use them?

Violet_0

Banned
Honestly confused with some of the talk of future plans. Sometimes it sounds like some of the new Races/ map enhancements will come from an expansion and other times they're talking about it as if it's TW:W2.

they have two standalone expansion planned that can be combined with the base game to make one huge single campaign map. The new races (main armies in the tabletop game with their own army book) will probably be part of the expansions from now on, smaller sub-factions that use existing mechanics and don't have a lot of unique units can be expected from dlc
so those huge cow beast things are still in the vanilla game, i just cant use them?
dunno if the minotaurs are in the vanilla game but you can't play with beastmen without the dlc anyway

I just started another attempt at the vampire campaign and so far they're super easy, lol. 7 cities by turn 13, strong economy, units regenerate fully in 1-2 turns, revives give you an instant army and quick access to graveguards

I've FINALLY got an Empire campaign that's going well, lol. I've got Reikland and Tabacland completely locked down, I've subjugated Marienburg (though the actual city is held by the Brets, the faction lives on in a Middenland province for... some reason), Ostland, and Hochland. I've picked up the Bretonnian province immediately southwest of Reikland, and I'm gearing up for a smackdown of the VC. Chaos is nowhere to be seen, even though I'm pushing up on turn 60. Making 5k gold per turn with 2 full armies. Life is good.

danthefan

So I bought this as part of the Humble Bundle.

Just wondering if any of the DLC is particularly essential? Do they change the balance of the game or just give additional factions/races to play?

karnage10

Banned
question about beastmen.

I am playing the vanilla game without any DLC at all. Are the beastmen that are roaming around different from the DLC ones, or does the DLC just allow me to play as that faction?

the DLC added those beastmen around. At launch there were no beastmen at all.
Paying for DLC basically either unlocks a faction + mini-campaign or new LL+ new units+RoR.
In short, only buy the DLC if you want to use that faction.

So I bought this as part of the Humble Bundle.

Just wondering if any of the DLC is particularly essential? Do they change the balance of the game or just give additional factions/races to play?

The AI always as access to DLC units and factions (the only exception is the WoC faction, which has a more limited roster without the DLC).
Buying the DLC either gives you a new faction+minicampaign or gives you 2 LL+ 5-6 units + RoR (special reskinned units with new abilities).

danthefan

The AI always as access to DLC units and factions (the only exception is the WoC faction, which has a more limited roster without the DLC).
Buying the DLC either gives you a new faction+minicampaign or gives you 2 LL+ 5-6 units + RoR (special reskinned units with new abilities).

Cool thanks. It seemed very expensive so definitely going to wait for a sale then.

I also got the game on humble. I'm on turn 70 enjoying the game so far. At first I thought the campaign map was huge... but in reality it's tiny, one of the smaller grand campaign maps in a total war game maybe? Everything seems squashed together.

I'm playing as empire.

I also got the game on humble. I'm on turn 70 enjoying the game so far. At first I thought the campaign map was huge... but in reality it's tiny, one of the smaller grand campaign maps in a total war game maybe? Everything seems squashed together.

I'm playing as empire.

I would say it's close to it. I think some of the campaign maps from Kingdoms might be smaller.

Nere

There was a stream from pc gamer weekender where CA showed how the Bretonnia will be like, they look amazing.

Here is the summary:
- They will be split into 3 factions each led by its own legendary lord.
- You can confederate to get all legendary lords.
- They have a new mechanic called chivalry the more honorable you are (not break diplomacies) and the more battles you win the more chivalry you get.
- You do not need to conquer everyone to win, when you get max chivalry you will get a final quest battle where you can choose to go either on the chaos wastes or in the badlands where you will need to defeat a hard enemy if you do you win the campaign.
- They greatly expanded the rooster with more units than the tabletop, the units are split into 3 parts: knights of course, peasants and religious fanatics.
- The most interesting unit is a skeleton of a dead knight who is carried around in the battlefield by peasants to boost the morale of the army.
- There is a cap on how many peasants you can have after you cross the cap you will have economic debuffs.
- The green knight exists but you will be able to call him limited times in the campaign (3 times for 15 turns each time you call him) once you reach high chivalry rank, he will provide buffs to your entire faction although they didn't specify what exactly he will do.
- Btw Total War won the makewarnotlove so we will get Isabella as the free legendary lord.

All these sound amazing and CA did a great job even though this is a free DLC really can't wait seems like it will be one of the best factions. Here is the stream skipped to right where the Total War stuff are if you want to watch it: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/123214458?t=03h16m19s

This one. I was a warhammer newb, now I know all about Sigmar, the elector counts, and cool shit like that

I went down the wiki black hole... the histories are dense. smh.

Same here. Adding High Elves seems to be TW:W2 because the current campaign map isnt big enough hold an Island an ocean away.

I've FINALLY got an Empire campaign that's going well, lol. I've got Reikland and Tabacland completely locked down, I've subjugated Marienburg (though the actual city is held by the Brets, the faction lives on in a Middenland province for... some reason), Ostland, and Hochland. I've picked up the Bretonnian province immediately southwest of Reikland, and I'm gearing up for a smackdown of the VC. Chaos is nowhere to be seen, even though I'm pushing up on turn 60. Making 5k gold per turn with 2 full armies. Life is good.

Thats where it starts falling apart. Well for my playthrough that is. Wood Elves begin their attacks on you. Beastmen start appearing. VC start corrupting land that causes public order issues. And only 2 armies to hold together a wide empire that takes 4-5 turns to get from corner to corner.

I went down the wiki black hole... the histories are dense. smh.

Same here. Adding High Elves seems to be TW:W2 because the current campaign map isnt big enough hold an Island an ocean away.

Thats where it starts falling apart. Well for my playthrough that is. Wood Elves begin their attacks on you. Beastmen start appearing. VC start corrupting land that causes public order issues. And only 2 armies to hold together a wide empire that takes 4-5 turns to get from corner to corner.

Actually, not so much! Took it to the VC with a gusto, taking West Sylvania from them before Chaos forced me to refocus. WE were causing problems, but I crushed Orion's army after he decided laying siege to a settlement with a full defensive structure and Franz' entire army in it was a good idea; they sued for peace a couple turns later. I *think* I beat down the first Chaos incursion as well, or at least, I got a popup about floods receding and all the Varg started running back north.* Just need to save Nordland from the Norsca now. Added a third half-size army commanded by Balthazar Gelt to play defense in the home provinces. Still making more than 3k gold per turn and looking forward to colonizing the settlements sacked by Chaos. Turn 99 and life is good.

*Man, that was a tough battle. Raced Franz into position on top of a city with embarrassingly weak defenses, backed up by a full Hochland army (so glad I subjugated them, that was a lifesaver). Across the field, a full Varg army and three (!) chaos armies at around 1/3-1/2 strength. They go after the Hochlanders to start, which means I'm playing reinforcement, which is a pain because I've got all the good artillery. Took nearly 20 minutes to wear them down, but I ended up wounding all of their lords and killing most all of their guys, which I guess was enough.Fuck Hellcannons, btw. Unbreakable artillery what kind of bs is that.

And I've gotta figure out a better way to use Franz now that he's got Deathwing, because his performance was kind of embarrassing.

Violet_0

Banned
have to re-load an earlier save because the #1, #2 and #4 factions decided to gank up on me at the same time

that's 4 full stacks of WE and Dwarfs respectively and 2 stacks of Empire troops, turn 85. I wasn't even aggressive, they declared war on me. The south of me is completely in the hands of WE (of course) and Dwarfs. Fighting the dwarfen faction is just not worth it, they conferate in a heartbeat. Repeat that a few times and take into consideration their ridicules economy, their super safe location and the fact that greenskins are completely outclassed by them and you are in for a world of pain

have to re-load an earlier save because the #1, #2 and #4 factions decided to gank up on me at the same time

that's 4 full stacks of WE and Dwarfs respectively and 2 stacks of Empire troops, turn 85. I wasn't even aggressive, they declared war on me. The South of me is completely in the hands of WE (of course) and Dwarfs. Fighting the dwarfen faction is just not worth it, they conferate in a heartbeat. Repeat that a few times and take into consideration their ridicules economy, their super safe location and the fact that greenskins are completely outclassed by them and you are in for a world of pain

The greenskins thing is actually kind of a problem for me; they've been so thoroughly contained, I don't think I've even seen a Greenskin army anywhere near my turf in something like 50 turns? Makes completing the Ghal Maraz quest that much more annoying :/

Violet_0

Banned
The greenskins thing is actually kind of a problem for me; they've been so thoroughly contained, I don't think I've even seen a Greenskin army anywhere near my turf in something like 50 turns? Makes completing the Ghal Maraz quest that much more annoying :/

the faction balance on the campaign map just ain't that great at the moment, it seems
Dwarfes can get to 20+ cities in no time and get alot of gold from their passive income buildings, same with the Chaos Elves Wood Elves. Both start at a safe spot in a corner of the map - well, Dwarfes need to clean up the underpowered Orks first - and snowball like crazy. At least in the games I've played, the greenskins could never beat the Dwarfes

Twinduct

they have two standalone expansion planned that can be combined with the base game to make one huge single campaign map. The new races (main armies in the tabletop game with their own army book) will probably be part of the expansions from now on, smaller sub-factions that use existing mechanics and don't have a lot of unique units can be expected from dlc

Ok cool thanks,
Looking forward to them fleshing out the existing races & getting more sub factions up and running. Kislev can't happen soon enough.

patapuf

Finally beat the empire campaign. conquering all of bretonia first and then burning the wood elves to the ground gave me the economic boost i needed. i never fell below 5k Gold/turn and below 10k Gold reserves again. confederating with the surviving empire factions and then crushing the VC was easy. The dwarves loved me and Chaos (and the vampires) was doing me a favor killing everything east of Reikland. By turn 160 i had 6 Generals running around and still plenty of gold to spare and Archon proved no match for my two armies + the one of my dwarven brethrens.

I had a captain giving +3 experince to all my new stacks, which was a huge boost to the strenght of my cheap troops.

Twinduct

How exactly are they making the campaign map larger?

No Idea, but if the DLC leaks were true it should expand the western side to include Ulthuan (Dark Elves etc). And to the south with parts of the Southlands (Tomb Kings etc).

Although not sure if these will be landmass added via Expansions or through a second entry.

karnage10

Banned

I'm playing as empire.

Yup, it is one of the smallest TW to date, hopefully DLC and the next expansions add to that.

Actually, not so much! Took it to the VC with a gusto, taking West Sylvania from them before Chaos forced me to refocus. WE were causing problems, but I crushed Orion's army after he decided laying siege to a settlement with a full defensive structure and Franz' entire army in it was a good idea; they sued for peace a couple turns later. I *think* I beat down the first Chaos incursion as well, or at least, I got a popup about floods receding and all the Varg started running back north.* Just need to save Nordland from the Norsca now. Added a third half-size army commanded by Balthazar Gelt to play defense in the home provinces. Still making more than 3k gold per turn and looking forward to colonizing the settlements sacked by Chaos. Turn 99 and life is good.

*Man, that was a tough battle. Raced Franz into position on top of a city with embarrassingly weak defenses, backed up by a full Hochland army (so glad I subjugated them, that was a lifesaver). Across the field, a full Varg army and three (!) chaos armies at around 1/3-1/2 strength. They go after the Hochlanders to start, which means I'm playing reinforcement, which is a pain because I've got all the good artillery. Took nearly 20 minutes to wear them down, but I ended up wounding all of their lords and killing most all of their guys, which I guess was enough.Fuck Hellcannons, btw. Unbreakable artillery what kind of bs is that.

And I've gotta figure out a better way to use Franz now that he's got Deathwing, because his performance was kind of embarrassing.

Franz with deathwing is really powerfull, specially if you "waste" a few points in both weapon damage and HP; I normally use franz to defeat the strongest enemy unit, as long as he isn't ganked up by 2 or 3 untis with anti large and AP he can probably beat those groups.

the faction balance on the campaign map just ain't that great at the moment, it seems
Dwarfes can get to 20+ cities in no time and get alot of gold from their passive income buildings, same with the Chaos Elves Wood Elves. Both start at a safe spot in a corner of the map - well, Dwarfes need to clean up the underpowered Orks first - and snowball like crazy. At least in the games I've played, the greenskins could never beat the Dwarfes

I completely agree with this and i hope the patch that is coming makes the game "more" vanilla. In vanilla it felt more random which factions grew bigger, currently WE, dwarfs and VC will, almost always, be the biggest faction around.
I just wish CA was a more like paradox and talked more about the changes they were going to do. For those that don't know, paradox has a weakly post on their forums about new mechanics or reworking of old mechanics.

How exactly are they making the campaign map larger?

we currently don't know specifics but CA said that warhammer total war would be a trilogy. Each game will have a different campaign map and be stand-alone, however if you have at least 2 games you can play on the fusion of both games.
According no the russian datamine The plan was for the warhammer game 1 to be complete with the release of brettonia. The 2nd game would have HE,DE and lizardmen as main races. Skaven, tomb kings would be DLC for this game. Game 3 would be about 4 factions of chaos and would have chaos dwarves and ogre kingdoms as DLC.
If you zoom out on the map you can clearly see the size it should have by the end of game 3.
Now since CA said their scope increased because of total warhammer's success i think what will happen is that everyone gets the map expansion but you can only play on it if you own 2nd game. I think the 2nd game will have HE,DE, lizardmen and skaven; skaven being the faction that bridges both games, CA could have 2 subfactions of skaven where one starts in new world and the other stars in the old world.

Dwarves win purely on economy, just like the Wood Elves. The moment they get Mount Gunbad (through confederation, most likely) they will have the economy to begin assimilating Greenskin lands, and once they establish the sea trade route by the Border Princes, their wealth will only grow. The fracutred Greenskins don't waaagh enough to snowball in any meaningful capacity, and will be exterminated as the Dwarves outnumber them.

The only genuine threat to Dwarves is the Chaos Invasion Baersonlings from the South, and even then it's mostly superficial damage (losing some worthless provinces).

As to fixing it and making them competitive? The Dwarves either need more threats in the Northern mountains to split their focus, like some horde Greenskin events, or an additional Greenskin faction in the Southeast that crushes the nearby Dwarves, unites with the Greenskins and gives the Dwarves an even fight.

Part of the problem is that AI Dwarves, like AI Wood Elves, ignore their unique mechanic: grudges. On this note, I don't think it's a coincidence that the two AI-led factions that straight-up ignore their faction mechanics are among the worst tuned in the game.

The AI really doesn't handle hidden armies well... the Wood Elves kept throwing an army into the Vaults to conquer Zarakzil, and got ambushed by my Beastmen every. single. time. They lost 60% of their armies and gave me the perfect opportunity to march on their forest and burn it to the ground.

Along the way there's two things I've noticed that are kind of weird: Brayherds don't leave behind corruption totems, and the Wood Elf forest cannot get them at all(by the player). Lame.

Oh, and the secret reveleation I had with Beastmen is: go all-in on siege holdout reductions. Wood Elf forests settlements lose supplies in 1 turn, and walled human territories in 3 or so. It's craaazy.

Not sure it's been mentionned but free VC Legendary Lord being added next week, Isabella Von Carstein. http://store.steampowered.com/app/455041

She should also come with the change that makes her and Vlad both a different faction than Mannfred/Kemmler that start just to the west, so that's nice. Hope they keep reworking old LLs to new starting positions/new factions, makes it more fun.

Oh, I didn't realise Vlad was getting spun off, too. Also didn't know about the Vampire hero focus--that's really exciting.

Making them two full-fledged factions will do wonders for the undead being a force in the Grand Campaign. I was so dearly hoping for playable Mousillon just because Vampires and their corruption are almost nonexistant outside of Sylvania. (The most I've ever seen VCs do is expand North and get annihilated by Chaos.) With a split focus they may be able to actually expand somewhere now, with VCs going North to Kislev and Isabella going West and South.

Also opens the door for some interesting confederations and civil wars, which were completely insignificant previously.

karnage10

Banned
Oh, I didn't realise Vlad was getting spun off, too. Also didn't know about the Vampire hero focus--that's really exciting.

Making them two full-fledged factions will do wonders for the undead being a force in the Grand Campaign. I was so dearly hoping for playable Mousillon just because Vampires and their corruption are almost nonexistant outside of Sylvania. (The most I've ever seen VCs do is expand North and get annihilated by Chaos.) With a split focus they may be able to actually expand somewhere now, with VCs going North to Kislev and Isabella going West and South.

Also opens the door for some interesting confederations and civil wars, which were completely insignificant previously.

With VC getting confederations it measn that the red duke will be playable in grand campaign for the first time. Now when playing as VC everyone should send an agent to get knowledge of mousilion.
Hopefully there will be a Lord pack to add RoR to brettonia and subfactions for empire.

For those waiting for discounts on the DLC, bundlestars has most DLC discounted for -15%. I'm not sure if that will convert anyone waiting.

Crushed what was left of Chaos on Imperial lands once Franz picked himself up and took out the VC with my second main army... they'd been tussling with the Dwarves, so it was an easy few autobattles to take their towns and what was left of their last army. Back up to 4.5k income with 2 full armies and one mostly-full, though those first two are filled with lower tier units. Need to get around to upgrading to Greatswords and whatnot.

Now I guess my priority is to colonize the provinces Chaos sacked and do the Reikland Runefang quest. Fill out my econ buildings, get my armies upgraded, maybe confed with Wissenland for the Nuln Foundry... geez, lot on the plate.

Violet_0

Banned
my VC campaign is turning into a super-long grind even though I pretty much won already. Had a few battles at the Border Princes capitol with a lot of Dwarfen stacks that the AI mismanaged, then Chaos appeared so I made peace with them and rode into the already empty north (I dunno what happened there, but I found it in that state long before Chaos even became a factor) to intercept Archaon. Now I capture all the ruins including most of the neighboring Reikland provinces that I didn't already have, Empire was weak the entire game so Altdorf is pretty much mine already. Even the WE which were #1 military power when the Chaos invasion began somehow fell far behind and are no longer a problem

unfortunately I have to elminate the Dwarfes, who are the current leading power. Certainly doable, but it will take forever with their 30+ cities. And then I still have to hold 20 provinces ...

my problem with the grand campaign is that the late game is very tedious. Every battle is done with auto-resolve and the army compositions are boring anyway, just full stacks of the superunits. If you have a working economy, you pretty much already know that the game is over but the campaign objectives force you to play another 100 turns. It's the same issue I have with my Dwarfen campaign, it's just going through the motions at this point

some observations: the secret of playing VC is apparenly to get a number of core provinces (I expanded east up to and including Wissenland, and a foothold in the Border Princes territory to fight the dwarfes), max those out and then wait for Chaos so you can pick up the rest of the now ownerless provinces in the aftermath. In the meantime you can tear down the more easily accessible Dwarfen cities surrounding you for lots of extra income, but going any further into the mountains as VC is generally a huge pain because their army movement is just super bad and they can't outheal the attrition

my general and necromancer both blew themselves up pretty much at the start of the last couple battles with overcast spells even with miscast reduction and everything. Like, this happened 4-5 times now. Until now they only ever lost 1/2 of their health, which normally isn't a problem with the various passive health regen auras in your army

oh, I lost one of my generals and heroes fighting Archaon and they're not coming back, which really sucks. How can you tell if they have been wounded or perma-killed?

Is there a way to give AI allies like the dwarves control of a ruin that Empire can't occupy? Razed The crooked moon settlements early in my campaign and the Dwarves don't seem to want to take it.

Also, what race can take WE, Northmen settlements? Utteryly decimated the WE in my playthru, and all that land/settlements seems a waste to leave like that.

Only Legendary Lords (the ones you can choose from the main menu) can resist death, being wounded instead. It's best to have your primary armies led by them because of AI assassinate spam, and just use regular Lords for situations where you need an auxiliary army, or temporary Lord.

The thing with LL's is, after the first one there are special requirements to recruit them. Like off the top of my head, Dwarves' Ungrim Ironfist requires conquering Karak Kadrin. It can be a little weird.

I can't help but wonder if they'll eventually give most LL's a unique start. Ungrim for example seems primed to start in Karak Kadrin. Letting each LL lead their own factions will lead to more varied games, and reward diplomacy vs. conquering, as everyone is forced to confederate if they want extra Legendary Lords. Then you could thrown in factions with no such restrictions, like VCs, who could just re-raise LL's.

And yeah, VC's long victory is insane. The Southwestern provinces are turns away from any area VCs can replenish in, which makes it this giant, slow march through their lands as the leading Lord gets progressively weaker, being unable to heal. It's a bit of a meatgrinder, because you absolutely cannot stop fighting or the Dwarves will just reconquer everything.

Last VC game, I just settled for a short victory.
Is there a way to give AI allies like the dwarves control of a ruin that Empire can't occupy? Razed The crooked moon settlements early in my campaign and the Dwarves don't seem to want to take it.

Also, what race can take WE, Northmen settlements? Utteryly decimated the WE in my playthru, and all that land/settlements seems a waste to leave like that.
Wood Elves can take Norsca settlements IIRC, and player-led Chaos can technically control Norsca settlements through conquering and then vassalizing. Only Wood Elves can conquer their forest settlements.

And no, there's no transferring ownership or anything. AI can be picky about how it expands, depending on their traits and stuff. There are times you'll see huge swathes of ruined settlements, and other times when nothing is left unclaimed. Dwarves in particular are really bad about taking the Western mountains (unless through confederation), for example.

For the VC long campaign, you want to move around in raiding stance(removes attrition) and have vampires embedded in the armies for healing and abuse healing at the end of battles when stuff is fleeing with whatever points of magic you have, just group all your units in the middle the aoe heal. You can also keep raising armies with your high endgame economy and spread out so you can cover all the south areas faster. Stuff with a bunch of skeletons/graveguards just to take undefended settlements and what not and using raise dead to get back zombies/skeletons and keep moving around like that.

It takes a stupid long time though, it does on most races really, the long campaign stuff tends to be a fairly pointless grind a lot of the time.

karnage10

Banned
my VC campaign is turning into a super-long grind even though I pretty much won already. Had a few battles at the Border Princes capitol with a lot of Dwarfen stacks that the AI mismanaged, then Chaos appeared so I made peace with them and rode into the already empty north (I dunno what happened there, but I found it in that state long before Chaos even became a factor) to intercept Archaon. Now I capture all the ruins including most of the neighboring Reikland provinces that I didn't already have, Empire was weak the entire game so Altdorf is pretty much mine already. Even the WE which were #1 military power when the Chaos invasion began somehow fell far behind and are no longer a problem

unfortunately I have to elminate the Dwarfes, who are the current leading power. Certainly doable, but it will take forever with their 30+ cities. And then I still have to hold 20 provinces ...

my problem with the grand campaign is that the late game is very tedious. Every battle is done with auto-resolve and the army compositions are boring anyway, just full stacks of the superunits. If you have a working economy, you pretty much already know that the game is over but the campaign objectives force you to play another 100 turns. It's the same issue I have with my Dwarfen campaign, it's just going through the motions at this point

some observations: the secret of playing VC is apparenly to get a number of core provinces (I expanded east up to and including Wissenland, and a foothold in the Border Princes territory to fight the dwarfes), max those out and then wait for Chaos so you can pick up the rest of the now ownerless provinces in the aftermath. In the meantime you can tear down the more easily accessible Dwarfen cities surrounding you for lots of extra income, but going any further into the mountains as VC is generally a huge pain because their army movement is just super bad and they can't outheal the attrition

my general and necromancer both blew themselves up pretty much at the start of the last couple battles with overcast spells even with miscast reduction and everything. Like, this happened 4-5 times now. Until now they only ever lost 1/2 of their health, which normally isn't a problem with the various passive health regen auras in your army

oh, I lost one of my generals and heroes fighting Archaon and they're not coming back, which really sucks. How can you tell if they have been wounded or perma-killed?

LL cannot be killed, so those are always wounded. If a Lord dies in battle he is dead for the rest of the campaign; Lords can be wounded (and sometimes killed) by agents.
To see if your Lord is wounded open the forces tab on the upper right corner; there it will show all Lord you recruited and are not being used.
For your info, your complain about grinding the campaign is a problem that almost every strategy game has, in total war it is very prominent because the campaign is normally predictable once you understand the mechanics. For me warhammer really shines here because you can just switch faction and it feels very differently, while in past total wars the major changes were the starting position.

One way to make the long victory easier as VC is to help the GS. If you managed to get akendorf near the dwarves, you should raze the nearby provicne and the capital of the dwarves. If you do it soon enough the GS should manage to destroy the dwarves.

I'd really enjoy if you could ask the AI to attack ruins like enemy settlements, that said there is a reason the AI doesn't colonize much, and that is to not annoy the player. Think about it in this way, most objectives are kill X faction and the AI cheats on the money, that means they could walk around a few weak armies colonizing ruins instead of attacking you which would make the objective a nightmare. Imagine destroying the world as chaos if every AI faction went around colonizing a lot; imagine destroying the dwarves as VC when the dwarves would be colonizing their lost settlements.
There is obviously room to balance the re-settlement process for the AI; for example WE rarely recolonize their forests, the GS/dwarves settlements near empire/WE and near norzca are rarely resettled by any faction. I also think during peace the AI should always resettle cities in provinces they control.

Huh, just had Varg declare war on Chaos while I'm allied to them as Beastmen. Never seen that before.

*shrug* I'll blame it on the Wood Elves. Everything is their fault, in the end.

Violet_0

Banned
huh, I forgot that I can actually do the minor victory conditions. Destroy Empire and get a couple more provinces, I think this would only take me a couple more turns

new Bretonnia trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60WQUG3XW3M
it's pretty hype

also, I freaking love the pilgrims
jjkktol7a.jpg

I hope they eventually put some of the DLC on sale.. Wood elves look awesome

Wood elves are a lot of fun. I tend to use a lot of ranged units in my setups regardless of race. The range and power of their archer units make them a perfect match for my strategy. Their cavalry is nothing to sneeze at either.

Oh, innocent Bretonnia, locked in an eternal conflict with the Vampire Counts... of Mousillon. You have so much to learn, and so much more to fear.

Although, their ingenuity, making a horse out of men, has gotta be straight from the real Vampire Count's playbook.
Why did I come into this thread.....only gone and got it off Humble Bundle now.... damn you all

Ha

At least it was only $12. Some of us (i.e. myself) paid a loooot more than that.

I really love that they're adding the new factions to the grand campaign for free. The only guys I really want to play are Empire, Brets, and eventually Tomb Kings and Lizard men, so when they release, say, wood elves and the map gets bigger and more complex for free its just great.

Bretonnia looks ace.

Are there other human factions besides them that they might add?

Bretonnia seems to be based on French knights, and Empire (germanic holy roman empire).

Are there other major human factions they could add to the game?

Bretonnia looks ace.

Are there other human factions besides them that they might add?

Bretonnia seems to be based on French knights, and Empire (germanic holy roman empire).

Are there other major human factions they could add to the game?
Kislev and the Border Princes might be diverse enough to warrant playability, but Brets and the Empire are the big ones AFAIK. Unless they go over the mountains... Isn't that where the China analogies is supposed to be? I know they never got much love on the tabletop.

I hope they eventually put some of the DLC on sale.. Wood elves look awesome

It's only 15%, but all the dlc is currently on sale at Bundlestars. This is effectively the same discount you can get at Humblebundle if you're subbed to the monthly bundle where you get 10% off and can get another 5% back into your Humble wallet. Yeah, I know, not a big sale but... it's something.

Top Bottom