• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

What I usually do (starting as Leonceur) is blitz the Skulltakers. You can beat them on turn 2 with your starting stack and raze their settlement. That handles the Greenskin incursions. Then I sit back and play defensive for a while, making buddies with Lyonesse and Artois. If I can get military alliances from them I make a second stack of mostly peasant troops (hold the good stuff back to guard against Marienburg) and start doing some expeditions against Mousillon.

Ideally you want to research the tech that lets you confederate with Artois and Lyonesse ASAP. That'll give you the income and peasant surplus you need to start going on the offensive against Marienburg, the Beastmen/Wood Elves, or anyone else you feel like fighting.

Also fighting the Norscans is pretty easy money early on, if you just stick to raiding and sacking the closest areas.

Alright, thanks. I will try that tomorrow!

karnage10

Banned
Sändersson;231283577 said:
Nice, but how on earth did you manage that? =P
I think my army is something like: durthu, branchwraith(hero), 7 glade guard, 2 tree kin, 6 small trees, 4 wild ryders. I'm not sure of the numbers but the units were those.
With that army i can beat the AI 1 on 1 and posibly 2 on 1 (depending if they have Heavy cavalry or not)
my battle strategy is basically an inverted V; I send durthu alone to gather quite amount of enemy groups and have 2 archer groups firing towards that mass; the rest of the archers focus fires on the enemy ranged cavalry troops; the 2 tree kin are to stop the enemy strongest units; On a perfect battle durthu + 2 treekins should be able to stop half the enemy army; the small trees move to either protect the archers, flank or reinforce the tree kins; the wild riders flank the enemy and rout ranged infantry and artillery then charges the rear guard of the engaged troops and hopefully start a chain rout.
On hard I feel the auto-resolve is completely broken because i normally win fights that the enemy supposedly has like 3/4 of the bar without heavy losses. I normally say there is hope as long as my archers have arrows.
On the campaign side i normally go after either crocked moon or karak norn (basecally i go after the one that controls the province capital.) then i defeat the other ones. With the north secured, i quickly march against estalia; the key to beat estalia is to fight a battle that the AI think it is going to win; as long as you are fighting an open fielded battle you should be able to beat 2 armies at the same time with the WE. After having estalia, you should be able to afford a 2nd small army to support your main army. Those 2 then meet on tilea and bring it down.

Personally i think orion is a tad easier then durthu because less factions attack orion when compared to durthu.
You should save amber to build the tree as fast as possible.Once it is at tier 3 you can confederate and have a much stable home base.

Violet_0

Banned
Get the tree to level 3 to get the ability to confederate other WE factions.
I manage to get the amber by wiping out estalia, tilea, parravon and crocked moon. Estalia and tilea are great targets at the beginning of the game because they don't have allies.
I don't know what is the best strategy when co-oping with empire, however i would wipe crocked moon and karak norn, then either aid the empire player to get to akendorf and then press against GS/Dwarfs or go after norzca.

yeah, I got the tree to level 3, confederated with everyone and now we took over all of Bretonnia and are preparing for Chaos. We still need to take/destroy 40 more settlements and need about twice our army sizes for the win cons, so I'll guess we have to go after the dwarfs/orcs next

manfestival

yeah, I got the tree to level 3, confederated with everyone and now we took over all of Bretonnia and are preparing for Chaos. We still need to take/destroy 40 more settlements and need about twice our army sizes for the win cons, so I'll guess we have to go after the dwarfs/orcs next
Leave the dwarves alone. They are just trying to reclaim their lands :(

I just got this is the Humble Monthly bundle. Was a bit apprehensive cos I'm more interested in historical stuff (although I like Warhammer but more 40K) but I had to get it at that price. I own every single TW game except Rome II and Napoleon so you could say I'm a veteran of the series, although I'm terrible at it. How does this stack up to recent ones like Attila?

karnage10

Banned
I just got this is the Humble Monthly bundle. Was a bit apprehensive cos I'm more interested in historical stuff (although I like Warhammer but more 40K) but I had to get it at that price. I own every single TW game except Rome II and Napoleon so you could say I'm a veteran of the series, although I'm terrible at it. How does this stack up to recent ones like Attila?

For me the best total wars are medieval 2, warhammer and attila. The main reason i like medieval 2 is because it has really nice ideas even through you kinda have to fight the wonky mechanics of the game. The main reason I like attila is because of both the battle AI and the way huns work make the game feel like total war survival game.

For me warhamer is one of the best total war; the main reason is that each faction plays very differently from each other, here are some examples:
-vampire counts units don't rout instead they crumble (they lose HP instead of fleeing); this faction also has no ranged units but has acces to flying units which can "bypass" the normal line
- Greenskins have low morale but consecutive victories awards them with free armies, they have very low city income gaining their money in battle/raiding/sacking. They have acces to some amazing beasts like a giant heavaly armoured spider and a giant.
- Empire, jack of all trades master of none; the most "vanilla" faction.
- Dwarfs, they have no cavalry but have the best ranged units in the game; heavy damage artillery , helicopters and a very armoured line make this the best hold and shoot them army.
- brettonia, some of the best cavalry in the game with a line composed of peasants;

My main problems with warhammer is that the battles are too quick which means i'm playing on slow motion most of the time. The campaign is also "dumbed" down which means that you will spend more time in battles and not deciding if you want industry or a sanitation/food building.

kamspy

Is there a mod that will let me scale the UI past 100%? I'm playing from the couch and would love a way to make it bigger other than running the whole game at 1600x900.

Lister

Banned
Is there a mod that will let me scale the UI past 100%? I'm playing from the couch and would love a way to make it bigger other than running the whole game at 1600x900.

There's a UI scaler built in. Are you saying you've got it maxed and it's sitll not enough?

kamspy

There's a UI scaler built in. Are you saying you've got it maxed and it's sitll not enough?

Yeah, I'm playing from the couch. Very doable in the past for me with RTS, just turn to 720 or 900p and enjoy the mechanics.

It's just the Workshop support and that UI scaler bar gave me hope of being able to enlarge everything and keep the game at native 1080p.

karnage10

Banned
Is anyone playing with the von carnstein faction? if yes did you manage to confederate with the VC?
On very hard i "had" to destroy VC and can't find a way to confederate. As VC i can easily conf with the von carnstein.
From my experience for a confederation to occur, the major factor needed is if the AI "feels" like is losing a war.

I am absolutely addicted to this game. Installed it on first march and already have 47 hours clocked o_O

This game is pretty good! I feel like its getting better and better with all the new content.
If you need any help feel free to post here (or add me if you want a quicker conversation)

barybll

Banned
That happens at the start. You need to be careful when you send your army out at the start of the campaign.

To remove the bretonnia debuff at the start of a campaign, you have to eradicate the orc faction that starts at marienburg's side on the mountains
Honestly, it is not a bad debuff, actually it is very good, since it allows you to farm revolts.

I would only recommend pursuing removal of the debuff if you are playing louen since that allows maintenance of an occupied marienburg

Not sure if the new patch changed anything, but on Very Hard you really have to be planning ahead for any successful confederations, regardless of faction. You need to be both VERY friendly with them (allied, etc) and have an extreme military advantage over them (generally meaning, their armies have been annihilated for some reason) to have any chance at confederation. It's really difficult, and bribes gifts are required. On this difficulty, it's much, much easier to just conquer them vs. confederating.

On lower difficulties confederation requirements much more reasonable, but not nearly as necessary. It's weird.

Not sure if the new patch changed anything, but on Very Hard you really have to be planning ahead for any successful confederations, regardless of faction. You need to be both VERY friendly with them (allied, etc) and have an extreme military advantage over them (generally meaning, their armies have been annihilated for some reason) to have any chance at confederation. It's really difficult, and bribes gifts are required. On this difficulty, it's much, much easier to just conquer them vs. confederating.

On lower difficulties confederation requirements much more reasonable, but not nearly as necessary. It's weird.

Diplomacy is a little obscure in TW

iirc some dev said that it's easier to confederate if you're not a defensive or military ally

go figure

Lister

Banned
Diplomacy is a little obscure in TW

iirc some dev said that it's easier to confederate if you're not a defensive or military ally

go figure

That makes some sense. Why confederate with a partner, that's a downgrade in status. But the game should surface this reasoning.

Noaloha

I'm also having a bit of a problem with confederation, but for me it isn't that I can't get the faction into green, it's simply that the option isn't there to select.

I'm playing the default Dwarf campaign with Thorgrim Grudgebearer and I want territory owned by Belegar Ironhammer (the new, I think, lord that has the special campaign to retake Karak Eight Peaks?). I'd prefer not to go to war with them, both for roleplay purposes and that they're allied with Empire and Brettonnia.

I have the Vassal option, but the confederate option is simply absent. Ironhammer's details even state that he prefers confederating, highlighted here bottom right(the 'Underdog' trait).

Is there something I'm missing? only thing I can think of is that the 'my strength vs their strength' bar, which is way in my favour, isn't accounting for Belegar's allies. So maybe he's too secure for confederation. But would that stop the actual button itself from displaying?

20170315134439_1o1sjb.jpg

Noaloha

Do you have the DLC?

I'm not sure you can confederate (and play ad) Belegar if you don't

I don't have the DLC that lets you select Belegar's campaign, no. Shit. I bet that's it.

Edit: felt a bit gamey, but I was able to take the province I needed by rushing my longtime ally kins' fortress with two stacks, breaking aaaall the treaties and feeling very ashamed, then peacing out with them afterwards all in the same turn.

Yeah I don't think you can confederate with DLC characters you don't own. Or at least, you shouldn't.

e.g. I ended up with an Arch Lector (normally accessible through Grim & Grave DLC) through confederation and the moment he was wounded via assassination, I could no longer use him. Couldn't re-rcruit, dismiss, or do anything with him; it was like he didn't exist.(Though was still on the UI taking up a slot, grr!)

Ol' James Rodzinner is the Arch Lector in question:

I don't have the DLC that lets you select Belegar's campaign, no. Shit. I bet that's it.

Edit: felt a bit gamey, but I was able to take the province I needed by rushing my longtime ally kins' fortress with two stacks, breaking aaaall the treaties and feeling very ashamed, then peacing out with them afterwards all in the same turn.

you have diplomatic penalties if you break treaties

it's all summed in your reputation (steadfast etc)

again, diplomacy is vague at best so yeah

whats the point of this betonnia faction? It just isn't fun to play. Lots of stupid mechanics for the sake of being different. You can't field large armies even when you control lots of provinces due to shitty income generation and peasant mechanics.

stupid allies don't even attack your target and good luck trying to kill that undead guy.

Nere

So apparently CA is going to EGX Rezzed at the end of this month and they said that we should look out for it to see what is coming out for the total war Warhammer series. According to a 4chan leak the next game is going to be released with the high elves, dark elves, lizardmen and skaven take it with a grain of salt: http://i.4cdn.org/vg/1489599934688.png

Violet_0

Banned
whats the point of this betonnia faction? It just isn't fun to play. Lots of stupid mechanics for the sake of being different. You can't field large armies even when you control lots of provinces due to shitty income generation and peasant mechanics.

stupid allies don't even attack your target and good luck trying to kill that undead guy.

I like them

I'm on turn 130 as Carcassonne and just confederated with Bretonnia, making my collection of Bretonnian provinces complete. The peasant mechanic wasn't much a problem - delete the cheap units after confederating, also well Carcassone gets a number of extra peasant slots - the Orc invasions at the beginning are actually welcome since you can farm them easily, as someone else mentioned in an earlier post, you don't even really want extra control. Aside from Estallia and the occasional Beastmen horde, I couldn't really go to war with anyone anyway. It's true though that their economy was pretty bad before I got Bordeleaux and Marienburg and their harbors

the victory condition can be met pretty easily, I already unlocked the final battle a couple of turns ago

e: say, what's the trick to disengaging cavalary safetly after a charge? I have player over a hundred hours and still haven't quite figured that out, some units always get stuck in melee
e2: I just read that Middelheim (in custom battles) is missing a bunch of Sigmar/Altheim units that the Empire has access to. Like the Sigmar priest, for example - Middenland has Ulric priests in the TT. So yeah, expect them to be DLC at some point, there's a good chance it will even be the "Old Friend" one

Violet_0

Banned
got king and the warlord and chaos

they're a bit over 5 euros each so that seems fair enough

finished my Carcassonne campaign, final battle was fun

Violet_0

Banned
I did the same thing when Archaeon was reborn and wounding him was my last victory condition

yeah, the endgame is stupid and unnecessarily long for most factions. I much prefer a final battle after reaching a certain condition like what the Brets have

Violet_0

Banned
I've been running some AI vs AI custom battles lately and one thing I noticed is that giants overperform consistently. They really seem to counter pretty much anything you throw at them

also, the goblin army I made is the reigning and undefeated champion, suprisingly

I've been running some AI vs AI custom battles lately and one thing I noticed is that giants overperform consistently. They really seem to counter pretty much anything you throw at them

also, the goblin army I made is the reigning and undefeated champion, suprisingly
Giants are utterly dominant barring specific countermeasures like Luminarchs or Steam Tanks. That Ork subfaction that starts with a giant is crazy easy to overperform with.

Violet_0

Banned
Giants are utterly dominant barring specific countermeasures like Luminarchs or Steam Tanks. That Ork subfaction that starts with a giant is crazy easy to overperform with.

steam tanks is a good suggestion, crazy expensive but they can just drive away when engaged in melee by the giant and will eventually kill them. Monster-sized lords like Ancient Treeman or Suneater are pretty similar in stats and can sort of 1v1 them, might actually lose slightly in a straight duel though. I read that pegasi knights are highly effective against the big monsters, halberd demigriffin knights are supposedly good too but I believe they'd take a lot of damage as well - I'm gonna test it later. Ranged infantry and artillery will kill a giant when given enough time, of course, but they are good against anything else too if you can protect them

in melee, it seems like the only way to beat a giant is to kill everything else around them first and then surround them with infantry, lord and heroes

e: okay, so pegasi knights, royal pegasi knights and halberd demigriffin knights lose with the giant at roughly 50% health. Durthu, Suneater and ancient treeman are pretty evenly matched with a giant not using any abilities, whoever manages to chain-trigger the stagger animation of their opponent wins. Two banshees managed to make a giant run but both were wiped out in doing so
I'm starting to think there are really no 1v1 melee counters versus giants, heh

Palmer_v1

I usually focus fire them with archers/artillery. I can break their morale before they get into melee a lot of the time.

tried empire campaign again and by turn 30 every time I pushed out to expand I would have beastmen razing my cities. Have I just been unlucky here? a new tribe was popping up every 5 turns.

I usually focus fire them with archers/artillery. I can break their morale before they get into melee a lot of the time.

You can do it with more basic armor-piercing archers and artillery, but then the rest of the enemy line slams into you totally fresh because if you're doing that you're not wearing down their Chosen or Boyz or what have you.

Violet_0

Banned
tried empire campaign again and by turn 30 every time I pushed out to expand I would have beastmen razing my cities. Have I just been unlucky here? a new tribe was popping up every 5 turns.

if you have enough military power the beastman will usually ignore you. Also, building walls is a good deterrend as well unless they've got a big army

in my Carcassone campaign, one of the Beastman army spawn points was close by and they'd pop up again every 20 turns or so - it's quite annoying, really. One of my armies existed for the specific purpose of eliminating them again whenever they showed up, but like I said it seems like they won't attack you anyway if you're too powerful

Empire needs walls everywhere because of their Norsca problem as much as anything. Their territory gets way too huge--you need every defense you can muster.

Violet_0

Banned
You can do it with more basic armor-piercing archers and artillery, but then the rest of the enemy line slams into you totally fresh because if you're doing that you're not wearing down their Chosen or Boyz or what have you.

elite cavalry and infantry are usually a much more tempting target for artillery since they lose combat efficency when fired upon and are easier to hit, and giants/monster don't take that much damage from most artillery weapons anyway. Knights hate cannons!

I play with the Steel Faith mod and it gives all tier three settlements walls so it's much easier to defend them. Garrisons are stronger as well.

BibiMaghoo

I have a bug in my game, no matter what race I play as, and it is doing my head in.

When I deselect or sometimes select things, the map will randomly jump to a point in the sea. I have googled one other person that had the same issue, but no solution.

Has anyone else had this and is there a fix?

4Tran

There's a countdown out there for the announcement of the second Total War: Warhammer game on March 31: https://comingsoon.totalwar.com

This looks a lot like a jungle and an Aztec-like temple. If true, this will mean Lustria and the Lizardmen with the other factions probably being Skaven, Dark Elves, and High Elves. It's pretty much what most of us expect, but it's interesting to see how CA is going to execute it.

There's a countdown out there for the announcement of the second Total War: Warhammer game on March 31: https://comingsoon.totalwar.com

This looks a lot like a jungle and an Aztec-like temple. If true, this will mean Lustria and the Lizardmen with the other factions probably being Skaven, Dark Elves, and High Elves. It's pretty much what most of us expect, but it's interesting to see how CA is going to execute it.

I'd expect them to buff up the naval features and combat so Lizardmen actually end up getting involved in the Old World's shenanigans.

4Tran

I'd expect them to buff up the naval features and combat so Lizardmen actually end up getting involved in the Old World's shenanigans.
How likely is it that the High Elves will make it in? That's really the only race I am dying to play.
If it really is Lustria it's very likely. CA has already said that Game 2 will have 4 factions in it, and the four that would be clustered around Lustria would be Lizardmen, Skaven, Dark Elves, and High Elves. Besides, the Elves are among the sexiest factions, so it'd make a lot of sense to put them into the next game. And with them, it would provide a good reason to focus more on naval movement and maybe combat.

Violet_0

Banned
How likely is it that the High Elves will make it in? That's really the only race I am dying to play.

very likely, I'd say. People like elves for some stupid reason

there's a rumor that Estalia could be a pre-order faction (new world expedition, conquistadors)

Top Bottom