• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

ramyeon

Dunno, maybe by pursuing a more hectic gameplay they are chasing after more stable framerate performance and thus they must sacrifice other areas to achieve it such as graphical showcase?

Though perhaps I am talking out of my ass here, hahaha.
There is definitely no excuse as to why Soul Sacrifice should look as bad as it does. They seem to have improved it slightly in Delta but of course there's not a whole lot they could improve while using the same assets I suppose.

Can't really comment on Y's since it's not out here.

And yeah, it's hardly that much faster than Toukiden. It's not even running in native resolution.

Dunno, maybe by pursuing a more hectic gameplay they are chasing after more stable framerate performance and thus they must sacrifice other areas to achieve it such as graphical showcase?

Though perhaps I am talking out of my ass here, hahaha.

Doesn't explain why Ys is sub-native res and sub-30fps. Some studios are technically competent and some aren't. Dynasty Warriors Next (same dev as Toukiden) looks great at native res and it was a launch title. I'm pretty sure Toukiden holds it's framerate better than SS while being rendered at a higher res and the action on screen is about the same. SS was just not a very well made game from a technical standpoint.

kiriin

There is definitely no excuse as to why Soul Sacrifice should look as bad as it does. They seem to have improved it slightly in Delta but of course there's not a whole lot they could improve while using the same assets I suppose.

And yeah, it's hardly that much faster than Toukiden. It's not even running in native resolution.

What is Y's? :p

It suffer from nasty frame drop when you have 5+ monster rendered on screen with particle effects flying off.

Ryuukan

Soul sac was a quick cash-in for Inafune to shit out something that would (but didn't) sell vitas in Japan. There's not much of a reason to compare it to Toukiden. It's like comparing apples to mediocre games.

jgmo870

Banned

There's a lot more going on in SS than in Toukiden; multiple golems, stationary and moving, on screen, launching multiple projectiles, using things like the jack-o-lantern, stopping enemies from moving entirely, etc.all at the same time. And the areas aren't compartmentalized like Toukiden's although they're not that big to begin with.

I've gone from "I hope this MH clone turns out okay" to "this is pretty fun" to "wow, this is actually a really good demo" to "DAY ONE"

Anyone solo'ing with the bow? I loved playing ranged support in MH but it became pretty tough (for my skill level, I suppose) to solo G-ranks with a bowgun/bow.

I am loving the fists. Pretty much like MH's hammer with blocking added in.

ZeroAKA

Soul sac was a quick cash-in for Inafune to shit out something that would (but didn't) sell vitas in Japan. There's not much of a reason to compare it to Toukiden. It's like comparing apples to mediocre games.
The endless Monster Hunter vs Soul Sacrifice debate, now featuring Toukiden. :/

What kind of quests are there in the game? For example, are there quests in which you fight two or more bosses at once?

Shiina

The endless Monster Hunter vs Soul Sacrifice debate, now featuring Toukiden. :/

What kind of quests are there in the game? For example, are there quests in which you fight two or more bosses at once?

The (first) Japanese demo had a fight against two Manhunters and an Ogre (the one from that intro battle). They appeared one after the other but they were on a timer so if you didn't kill one of them in time, another one would appear.

Shengar

I definitely had no issues there. I really, truly, am a little confused as to why it just hasn't clicked (yet? I do have it free from PS+ as well now, I Gamefly'd it initially for a few weeks) with me.

On one hand, I think it could be how stupid it makes me feel? What should I be keeping, upgrading, fusing, DOING?! I see the same criticism lobbed at MH all the time and I get it. I just feel lost so far. On the other it could be the actual fields of battle feeling so small. Again... MH has SMALLER areas, but they are linked to create an illusion of larger areas. So yeah, like I said, I see all these things as things that I came to absolutely love in MH as it became my absolute favorite series out there, yet I cannot seem to hit that point where SS clicks with me. I kinda hate it.
After playing Toukiden and MonHun, SS is pretty different take hunting action genre. It doesn't work on the same like afromention titles did on how the weapon work. They seem pretty focused on very fast paced boss battle sequence. I think SS put more emphasis on the "action" than the "hunting" here. If it doesn't click you, don't push it I say.
Soul Sacrifice doesn't seem that much faster than Toukiden, really.
Wyvern, Valkyrie, even Kraken and Leviathan attack frame says otherwise.
Doesn't explain why Ys is sub-native res and sub-30fps. Some studios are technically competent and some aren't. Dynasty Warriors Next (same dev as Toukiden) looks great at native res and it was a launch title. I'm pretty sure Toukiden holds it's framerate better than SS while being rendered at a higher res and the action on screen is about the same. SS was just not a very well made game from a technical standpoint.

Omega Force have used the same engine for almost one generation, so it's not strange thing they can manage to gain such graphical fideility on their Vita games. And just like you said, some developer are more competent on developing the gameplay design than putting it into stable perfomance.

Nags

Banned
Chill out, their comment wasn't harming anyone. Wasn't even half as bad as all the port begging comments.

Goddamn what the fuck is up your ass? So angry over a post that was completely inoffensive.

Chill out dude. He was interested enough on the game to buy a Vita for it. At least he's not port begging.

Fine, fine sorry. I read too much into shit sometimes.
I thought it was a backhanded comment. Guess I was wrong.
I'll leave the thread for being a bad sport.

killatopak

Gold Member
Fine, fine sorry. I read too much into shit sometimes.
I thought it was a backhanded comment. Guess I was wrong.
I'll leave the thread for being a bad sport.

Nah dude. Stay. Nobody is forcing you out. We need all the slayers we can get. :D

Does anybody have a list of where to find all mitamas in the full game?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This
and every other
game needs romance!

Such pretty art for everyone, especially the girls :3

Too bad this game doesn't have any romance element in it.......

killatopak

Gold Member
This
and every other
game needs romance!

Oh you and your romance fetish.

BTW I got dibs on Oka.
---
Okay, I'm gonna be making a spreadsheet to show where to find all the mitamas hopefully later today.

JimPanzer

hmm while danganronpa on amazon germany is delivered on release-day it's not stated for toukiden. order anyway and hope?

RalchAC

This
and every other
game needs romance!

So no fuckable characters? They lied?

I'm out.

Wow at that hate... It's ok if you didn't like Soul Sacrifice, you're probably right saying it was a rushed for a March release and they probably didn't optimize stuff all that well. But saying it's a shitty cash-in it's going to far. That's not a fact.

Textures are shit, that's sure. And it's not native res. It probably looks like shit on a Vita TV. But imo it looks decent enough on Vita's 5" screen, it's different, fast and cool. It would have been better if they spent more time optimizing the game, but Soul Sacrifice is a game with a lot of effects and other happening at the same time. Especially if you play online co-op with other 3 players. Spells look rather good (especially fire, which looks like shit in most Vita games) and that was probably their priority. Instead of dumping them down for getting a solid fps they decided to lower resolution and textures.

It's pretty? No. But it's perfectly playable and a nice game. Story is pretty solid and engaging, even if they decided to use a "cheap" format. It's not a 10 game, but it's a solid 7,5-8 game.

Delta will be more of the same. But SS2 could look quite better.

killatopak

Gold Member
How much will it cost to buy Toukiden in the NA PSN store?

It's really hard to go physical when $50 codes costs 40$ here.

Kinda enjoyed the game for what it was, but the weapon movesets are so limited and the enemies in the demo were basically just practice dummies that hardly even fought back, boss included. Crafting system is very basic as well.

Might pick it up when it's on sale later, it's trying to be monster hunter but failing on various fronts.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Kinda enjoyed the game for what it was, but the weapon movesets are so limited and the enemies in the demo were basically just practice dummies that hardly even fought back, boss included. Crafting system is very basic as well.

Might pick it up when it's on sale later, it's trying to be monster hunter but failing on various fronts.

For whatever its worth, many say that the full game is very different than the demo, but I guess if the demo doesn't grab you it'll be very difficult to assure you that.

What? Seriously, what kind of black magic are you guys employed there? $50 cost as around $64 here ;__;

Fucked up, ain't it. But no other way and I wanna fill up my 64 GB too.

Bloody bollocks is what it is.

ramyeon

For whatever its worth, many say that the full game is very different than the demo, but I guess if the demo doesn't grab you it'll be very difficult to assure you that.
I am pretty sure that was misunderstood. It was an idea taken from someone's blog post about Toukiden and they had only played the first Japanese demo before the full retail version. The first demo in Japan was like a beta test and a lot of stuff changed based on feedback.

The demo we got is fairly representative of what the game will be like.

maouvin

How much will it cost to buy Toukiden in the NA PSN store?

It's really hard to go physical when $50 codes costs 40$ here.

$39.99. I doubt it'll get dat 10% off for digital. If it does, all the better.

$50 for $40 is badass. Can you make infinite money reselling them?

ramyeon

still undecided. this or dangan first? i only have time for one. aaaaaaaaaaaah.
The online community for this will be at it's best in the first month or two. After that it'll become less active I'd imagine. Danganronpa will be the same game whether you play it right away or later on down the line.

yea, i was thinking the same about the online before. guess i'll decide after my next demo run.

the face of my guy in game looks a lil weird, like he's smiling all the time. he looks neutral in the creator.

killatopak

Gold Member
$39.99. I doubt it'll get dat 10% off for digital. If it does, all the better.

$50 for $40 is badass. Can you make infinite money reselling them?

I could if I want to but I doubt someone will buy it from me for $50 when they can just go to a retail store and avoid the hassle.

I could if I want to but I doubt someone will buy it from me for $50 when they can just go to a retail store and avoid the hassle.

That being said, as a grown ass man, I would gladly pay $10 extra not to go into a GameStop Day 1 & get hassled by a dudebro for the latest COD preorder ultra-elite reward points that I'm clearly missing out on.

Only issue is the degree to which we're all chomping at the bit on Day 1 & what time (if at all) they update the PSN Store with digi-availability in North America... As much as a hassle as I find GS to be, at least you know at 10AM they'll have what you want (granted you put $5 down in advance).

DC1

Oh you and your romance fetish.

BTW I got dibs on Oka.
---
Okay, I'm gonna be making a spreadsheet to show where to find all the mitamas hopefully later today.

Thanks. I was under the impression that some of the later ones were randomly acquired.

killatopak

Gold Member
Thanks. I was under the impression that some of the later ones were randomly acquired.

You can know who to kill and where to find them but it doesn't change the fact the it's still a chance based drop especially for the end game mitamas.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I haven't been following the game much...

What are the armor/character customization options? Do you create a character and that is your look for the game? Do you get new armors like Monster hunter? Does your character level up/increase stats/etc? And are there different weapon skins within the categories (so multiple different looking long swords or bows?)

Edit: Also, is this good enough playing single player only? Or is it really supposed to be a multiplayer game? (I was able to play through and enjoy a lot of MH single only for comparison)

killatopak

Gold Member
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I haven't been following the game much...

What are the armor/character customization options? Do you create a character and that is your look for the game? Do you get new armors like Monster hunter? Does your character level up/increase stats/etc? And are there different weapon skins within the categories (so multiple different looking long swords or bows?)

You can create a custom character which will be your character for the whole game. You also don't level up. You increase stats by upgrading and crafting new weapons and armors just like Monster Hunter. There is a fine line between this and MH. That is the Mitamas.

You can play solo all the way. There are online missions but you can still have the same group of NPCs in the main game to come with you so solo play is very doable albeit slower than playing with actual people.

You can create a custom character which will be your character for the whole game. You also don't level up. You increase stats by upgrading and crafting new weapons and armors just like Monster Hunter. There is a fine line between this and MH. That is the Mitamas.

You can play solo all the way. There are online missions but you can still have the same group of NPCs in the main game to come with you so solo play is very doable albeit slower than playing with actual people.

Thanks! Game ordered

DC1

You can know who to kill and where to find them but it doesn't change the fact the it's still a chance based drop especially for the end game mitamas.

Ha!
Understood. Looking forward to the list and a big thinks in regards to your effort to document the 200. :)

Hold on, this game comes out next Friday in EU? Why did I think it was out tomorrow???!?!?

*flips table*
Lol, I had the same problem. Was planning to leave a little early from work tomorrow to pick it up, only to now realize it's still a week away...

Guess I'll play some more MH3U in the meantime.

Here's a few shots of my character from the demo.
2014-02-06-072113_zpsebae2936.jpg~original

2014-02-06-073630_zps363af58d.jpg~original

2014-02-06-102350_zps403f0d3d.jpg~original

2014-02-06-103049_zps8e1a6cff.jpg~original

-Digits-

I can't wait for this game. It's gonna be murder on my backlog but screw it. Sucks that I'll have to wait 'till the 14th to get it but I'm getting a sweet deal on the physical so I'll just suffer the extra three days.

I just found out about this and downloaded the demo from the PS Store.

God damn, it looks very pretty!

Might get it day one, just need some more time with the demo.

Top Bottom