• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Shengar

So why are dancing now lol
Forget cerberus, better make some progress first. I'm gonna stick with Abyssal Armor for a while.

Seil

sometimes people online are just called slayer, at other times they have a name. is there an anonymity toggle or something else?

Like, people actually having their names not show sometimes? Or just people in general sometimes being called Slayer? Because I'm pretty sure Slayer is the default name at character creation so maybe they just didn't input a different one?

Edit: ninja'd again lol...

Scher

Well, considering the plethora of issues we're experiencing, I think I might just go ahead and call it a night. Thanks a lot for playing! Sorry we couldn't get some more missions in.

ramyeon

Welp, my first time encounter with not all player ready error :(
Haha consider yourself lucky if that's your first time seeing it.
Well, considering the plethora of issues we're experiencing, I think I might just go ahead and call it a night. Thanks a lot for playing! Sorry we couldn't get some more missions in.
No worries! We did get quite a lot done regardless. Hopefully next time we can get started on making some progress through Phase 9!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am phase 10-5 now and the missions gets more and more absurd.....

Also, people playing Reg3 version are defaulted to the Slayer name as well when playing with Reg1 players.

Scher

Cbi7xbZl.jpg

Well, that was a terribly unfun mission. I guess now all I need to do is beat The Age of Demons and I can consider singleplayer complete. I'm not looking forward to fighting two turtles in one fight, though.

JimPanzer

Cbi7xbZl.jpg

Well, that was a terribly unfun mission. I guess now all I need to do is beat The Age of Demons and I can consider singleplayer complete. I'm not looking forward to fighting two turtles in one fight, though.

died on the last mission with the last boss at 5% health :( one hour wasted

Shengar

Cbi7xbZl.jpg

Age of Demon is easy as you started with ally from the get go. If I'm not trying to break all part, I might've finished it under 50 minutes. But Four Horsemen is different matter. You start solo against a frikkin Pyrogrinder. I still don't know which is the best weapon to fight against it, but If I managed to kill it under 15 minutes, the rest should be easy.

Kaji

Finished all single bar the two last what's, looking to power multiplayer to get up, how viable are using the npcs, what phase does it get difficult?

Ogawa-san

If you take Hatsuho/Hayatori/Nagi for Four Hourseman you'll have three people for Pyrogrinder and four for the rest. Makes it pretty trivial.

Finished all single bar the two last what's, looking to power multiplayer to get up, how viable are using the npcs, what phase does it get difficult?
NPCs are fine. Time-sensitive missions can be hit or miss since they might focus on small oni instead, but still possible.

Multi makes everything easier/faster, of course.

raphanum

I read the review by IGN (yuck, I know) but after also having played the demo, I cannot believe for a second that the reviewer spent any meaningful amount of time playing it. She doesn't see the game for its own merits, rather she continuously compares it to monster hunter.

It usually feels lazy to explain a game by pointing at another one, but Toukiden copies the fundamentals of its inspiration - Monster Hunter, namely - so well that the comparison is unavoidable.

She admits it's lazy and does it anyway. Smh.

Have any of you had any grievances with the game thus far? I've got $50 to spend on PSN, so I'll be purchasing it now.

Jindrael

Banned
I read the review by IGN (yuck, I know) but after also having played the demo, I cannot believe for a second that the reviewer spent any meaningful amount of time playing it. She doesn't see the game for its own merits, rather she continuously compares it to monster hunter.

Have any of you had any grievances with the game thus far? I've got $50 to spend on PSN, so I'll be purchasing it now.

I read that a few people have problems with joining multiplayer games but after some time it usually works fine.

Other than that, personally I'm really happy with the purchase, I still have lots of stuff to do and have already put ~50 hours in the game.
If you like hunting games, you can't really go wrong with Toukiden imo.

Shengar

If you take Hatsuho/Hayatori/Nagi for Four Hourseman you'll have three people for Pyrogrinder and four for the rest. Makes it pretty trivial.
Wo, really? So different NPCs have different starting point then? Starting with 3 slayer definitely makes thing easier.

I think comparison in itself is not bad, and since Monster Hunter is widely popular and mostly dubbed as the genre definer (though ). The problem happened when people just make lazy comparison (like she did I reckon, have yet to read the view and don't have the will to) by just name dropping and dismiss every strong point that the other hunting action game have. Lazy comparison wouldn't get us nowhere, especially on games where each installment (usually) have massive tweaks and improvement on the core gameplay. Comparing Toukiden plainly with Monster Hunter is stupid, and by mean stupid is when they don't acknowledge that the former is still in 1st Generation while the later already hit 3rd Generation (4th in Japan) with portable spin-offs.

Honestly I want to read someone makes comparison between Toukiden and 1st Generation Monster Hunter. I would done it myself if I ever actually played the first Monster Hunter not just watching my brother playing it.

My grievance so far is the bad netcode which is make it so hard to play online with others.

wilflare

Chapter 5 is annoying
it's just boss fights after boss fights

but that also makes it my favorite chapter.. lol for some strange reason...
after getting my Cthnonian set, the boss fights are very manageable now. I don't even need the prayer stones :O (sometimes)

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member

I go to IGN a lot too and I just hate her reviews all around. Ever since she gave Wonderful 101 a bad review, I never trusted her opinions. She complains about the dumbest things and I just know to brace myself for dissapointment when Keza is the reviewer; it's just terrible. I believe she even said that the story in Toukiden isn't as compelling as in MH >.< I know it is just one person's opinion, but it's just a shame people will miss out on this game just because of a bad review.

The only grievance I've had is with multiplayer, but that's mostly due to my internet in college. When I'm at home, I rarely have problems. Other then that the only main issue is just how multiplayer is set up. It'd be cool if it'd let you craft new weapons and armor while staying in the multiplayer lobby, and also communication to other players in your lobby is very limited. If there will be indeed a Toukiden 2, I cannot wait to see how it improves.

Edit: Anyway, here's a random question: What happens if two players start a Vitality skill in the same spot? Do people regain health twice as fast?

Ogawa-san

Any SPT users using "SPT Master (Devote)" and think it's worth it? "Increases the effectiveness of Skills, but makes it harder to fill the Spirit Gauge", but I noticed no improvement on Eruption's damage which would be the easiest to notice, and heals aren't any bigger either. Also, the charge increase makes renewal pretty much required since it takes almost 10s to fully charge.

I may have ruined my lv9 Lady Shizuka by sticking it along Knowledge 3 & 4... And the lv10 skill "Fountain+ (Surprise)" that I could use erase it is kind of useless.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
Question for avid bow users: I'm starting to shift into bow using, and I was wondering how do you play?

I read the instruction manual on the use of marks and chain reactions and stuff, but I just can't get the targetting right. I've accidentally targetted arms and stuff, specific body parts, but I don't know how to do it. I wan't to be able to target horns and stuff, but I can't get it to do it. It is also kind of difficult to move around, charge your bow, and aim at the same time. The only way I've been able to do this is with the right handed "hook" method, with my index finger holding square, and thumb on the right stick. Is this how you do it?

Seil

Any SPT users using "SPT Master (Devote)" and think it's worth it? "Increases the effectiveness of Skills, but makes it harder to fill the Spirit Gauge", but I noticed no improvement on Eruption's damage which would be the easiest to notice, and heals aren't any bigger either. Also, the charge increase makes renewal pretty much required since it takes almost 10s to fully charge.

I may have ruined my lv9 Lady Shizuka by sticking it along Knowledge 3 & 4... And the lv10 skill "Fountain+ (Surprise)" that I could use erase it is kind of useless.

I passed over it because I don't really want to slow down charge times even for a boost in power(unless it was massive). My build could definitely use some tuning, though. Right now it's just a couple Knowledge 3's, some pursuit boosts, devour + renewal, faster charge and an extra eruption cast that I never get to use(wasting a slot x.x).

I love the devour + renewal combo far too much to let go of it, though. So that's staying no matter what I do when it comes to SPT. I should probably look at my options again as the last time I did so was just after finishing chapter 5.

Question for avid bow users: I'm starting to shift into bow using, and I was wondering how do you play?

I read the instruction manual on the use of marks and chain reactions and stuff, but I just can't get the targetting right. I've accidentally targetted arms and stuff, specific body parts, but I don't know how to do it. I wan't to be able to target horns and stuff, but I can't get it to do it. It is also kind of difficult to move around, charge your bow, and aim at the same time. The only way I've been able to do this is with the right handed "hook" method, with my index finger holding square, and thumb on the right stick. Is this how you do it?

1) Hold R when you start a charging skill and you can let go of the attack button. So, hold square, hold R, let go of square and now you can aim with the right stick.

2) Hitting L while aiming a charge move lets you lock on to the part you're aiming at. So you can go into a square attack, aim at the horns, hit L and lock onto the horns. I often start battles off this way, actually. Throw a pursuit and eruption at the horns to get them either out of the way or get them red at least =p

3) You can also dodge while in a charge skill. This is useful both for evading and for repositioning. Boss decided to step away just out of your fully charged curse range? Dodge toward them!

As for how I actually play... For trash mobs I usually get in their face and use 2x triangle point-blank because it's about the same as a fully charged square if all 5 arrows hit. For bosses, strategy is usually to curse at least 2 parts, preferably 3+ then unload homing arrows(circle) because it has great explosion damage and fills the weapon gauge nicely. 3x triangle should be used extremely sparingly(if at all). It looks pretty but it's really weak, its primary value is chain explosions, but homing arrow barrages dish out significantly more damage. If you're focusing down one part, fully charged square is useful as it's piercing, so you can shoot straight through the boss to that pesky part he keeps turning away from you.

RalchAC

Wow, that IGN review is pure shit. I feel ashamed I even bothered giving it a click. This is like putting a 6 to every single MMO because World of Warcraft is bigger or putting it to every single sandbox game out there because GTA has a bigger budget. It certainly looks like she started playing the game convinced she was going to get bored and never really tried to enjoy it.

And, is Toukiden story really that bad and generic? I know it is not the best thing ever, but hunting games aren't usually storydriven so it wasn't a selling point for me. I'm finding it quite enjoyable so far, it's interesting enough and the characters in general are nice and likeable.

Wow, that IGN review is pure shit. I feel ashamed I even bothered giving it a click. This is like putting a 6 to every single MMO because World of Warcraft is bigger or putting it to every single sandbox game out there because GTA has a bigger budget. It certainly looks like she started playing the game convinced she was going to get bored and never really tried to enjoy it.

And, is Toukiden story really that bad and generic? I know it is not the best thing ever, but hunting games aren't usually storydriven so it wasn't a selling point for me. I'm finding it quite enjoyable so far, it's interesting enough and the characters in general are nice and likeable.

The plot is serviceable, especially considering hunting genre games (besides Soul Sacrifice) have really never had plots (or had awful ones).

But I definitely wouldn't say the story is fantastic or anything like that. I do like a lot of the characters though, and in this type of game, that really should be more than enough.

I have several thousand hours across every Monster Hunter game besides the Wii U and 3DS one, and I can't really say there's a single character I "liked" besides my randomly named Felynes.

Seil

So, just unlocked and did these missions:

oiP7Hvh.jpg

Feels good, man.

Grats! I just reached and defeated the Abyssal Fiend for the first time lol. Just over 15 mins with AI. And, surprisingly, broke and purified everything first try. Don't expect that to be the case with future AI outings though since they love to be hit by those regen attacks normally x.x

It's a perfect example of why I stopped reading most reviews ages ago, really. On the note of the story, I actually enjoyed it. Especially for a hunting game haha. Does MH even have a story to compare to? Is that something that happened after the move to Nintendo? Because I haven't played one since then x.x As far as I remember it was "Oh hey, you're a hunter, oh no there's a big flying monster attacking. Go kill it" and then just a stream of missions.

There's plenty to set Toukiden apart from MH from the fact it's faster paced, the whole Mitama system and so on. Games like Toukiden and God Eater appeal to me more generally than traditional MH due to the pace. MH is deeper in terms of the survival, gathering and well, "hunting" feeling, but I generally prefer the gameplay offered by the games it inspired.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member

oiP7Hvh.jpg

Feels good, man.

UGHHADKLGASKHG I was doing the four horsemen mission and everything was going well. I was on the second boss, when all of a sudden I got an error that made me close the game >.< I failed the mission like 4 times and this one was actually going well D: Bad luck today :(

UGHHADKLGASKHG I was doing the four horsemen mission and everything was going well. I was on the second boss, when all of a sudden I got an error that made me close the game >.< I failed the mission like 4 times and this one was actually going well D: Bad luck today :(

Ouch, man. Would it have been your first clear of it?

RalchAC

The plot is serviceable, especially considering hunting genre games (besides Soul Sacrifice) have really never had plots (or had awful ones).

But I definitely wouldn't say the story is fantastic or anything like that. I do like a lot of the characters though, and in this type of game, that really should be more than enough.

Yes, those are exactly my feelings. The plot if good enough, characters are likeable, and that's enough. I found Soul Sacrifice story really good, I liked a lot the ending, but we're talking about Toukiden here :)

It's a perfect example of why I stopped reading most reviews ages ago, really. On the note of the story, I actually enjoyed it. Especially for a hunting game haha. Does MH even have a story to compare to? Is that something that happened after the move to Nintendo? Because I haven't played one since then x.x As far as I remember it was "Oh hey, you're a hunter, oh no there's a big flying monster attacking. Go kill it" and then just a stream of missions.

I think MH doesn't have a story, I think Stfuppercut has played 3 Ultimate, we could ask him. I don't usually care about reviews either, I generally know if I'm going to like a game before purchasing (demos + videos + time spent here on GAF). But that doesn't change the fact that some people may avoid the game because the review was written by somebody that seemed to forgot how to have fun with a game.

ramyeon

MH has never had a story besides the barebones motivation to upgrade equipment and become a better hunter. It doesn't really need one either imo. The story in Toukiden is pretty standard and kind of rubbish if you ask me, I just skimmed through most of it because much like MH it's only there to propel you through the quests.

The difference between MH and this is the localisation. MH's localisations are usually pretty great. MH3U had some really fantastic script work in there when talking to NPCs etc despite the barebones story. Toukiden doesn't really have that charm.

Scher

oiP7Hvh.jpg

Feels good, man.

Congrats on completing that. Going to give that mission a shot after I finish up the rest of the singleplayer missions. Just did all the solo missions not too long ago, so now I'm left with about 2 more missions besides the final mission. I figure it shouldn't be too difficult to complete, but I'm not looking forward to another almost hour long fight.

I think MH doesn't have a story, I think Stfuppercut has played 3 Ultimate, we could ask him. I don't usually care about reviews either, I generally know if I'm going to like a game before purchasing (demos + videos + time spent here on GAF). But that doesn't change the fact that some people may avoid the game because the review was written by somebody that seemed to forgot how to have fun with a game.

MH3U pretty much doesn't have a story other than "something something monsters go kill them". It's the same events that happen in Tri plus some more "kill all monsters".

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
Ouch, man. Would it have been your first clear of it?

Yep I cleared all the missions before it too. Aiming for completion. I was using the bow and it was getting me farther than just relying on my gauntlets (which is my main)

For anyone else doing this mission I recommend just speed killing each boss. Destroy one part, and focus on it. Other than fainting too much, your primary enemy is the time that you have. Since there are 1 boss per area, you only have 15 mins per boss. Also, as people have mentioned, choosing hayatori, hatsuho and nagi should give you three people on the first boss (which is a damned pyrogrinder which is annoying given the little space you have to work with)

Top Bottom