• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
1) Hold R when you start a charging skill and you can let go of the attack button. So, hold square, hold R, let go of square and now you can aim with the right stick.

2) Hitting L while aiming a charge move lets you lock on to the part you're aiming at. So you can go into a square attack, aim at the horns, hit L and lock onto the horns. I often start battles off this way, actually. Throw a pursuit and eruption at the horns to get them either out of the way or get them red at least =p

3) You can also dodge while in a charge skill. This is useful both for evading and for repositioning. Boss decided to step away just out of your fully charged curse range? Dodge toward them!

As for how I actually play... For trash mobs I usually get in their face and use 2x triangle point-blank because it's about the same as a fully charged square if all 5 arrows hit. For bosses, strategy is usually to curse at least 2 parts, preferably 3+ then unload homing arrows(circle) because it has great explosion damage and fills the weapon gauge nicely. 3x triangle should be used extremely sparingly(if at all). It looks pretty but it's really weak, its primary value is chain explosions, but homing arrow barrages dish out significantly more damage. If you're focusing down one part, fully charged square is useful as it's piercing, so you can shoot straight through the boss to that pesky part he keeps turning away from you.

I figured those out as I was going against a sableblade except for that first point. Didn't know you could do that. Looks convinient! Another thing though, as far as marks go, do more marks on one body part cause more damage when they explode? Also, the instruction manual says that setting off marks with a fully charged square. It also states that setting them off with 3x triangle is indeed weaker, but nothing about using circle to set them off. Also can you tell me the difference between the yellow circles when using the homing arrows vs the red circles? And how to activate either? Also, does a fully charged square do more damage than a long raged fully charged square?

I found the 3x triangle useful when a grinder is diving out the ground to catch him in a stun position.

Edit: I apologize for the double post.

Seil

I figured those out as I was going against a sableblade except for that first point. Didn't know you could do that. Looks convinient! Another thing though, as far as marks go, do more marks on one body part cause more damage when they explode? Also, the instruction manual says that setting off marks with a fully charged square. It also states that setting them off with 3x triangle is indeed weaker, but nothing about using circle to set them off. Also can you tell me the difference between the yellow circles when using the homing arrows vs the red circles? And how to activate either? Also, does a fully charged square do more damage than a long raged fully charged square?

I found the 3x triangle useful when a grinder is diving out the ground to catch him in a stun position.

Edit: I apologize for the double post.

I don't think marks stack, but I could be wrong. As for how they work, each attack has a different damage value for the explosion. When triangle blows one up, it's about as strong as an uncharged square's explosion. Fully charged square is the highest explosion damage(~4x what triangle causes). Circle is one tier below the fully charged square(~3x triangle's explosion), faster to unleash and can be used on many marks at once. Square can trigger multiple if it pierces them all but that requires extra positioning - plus sometimes parts can't be lined up.

A barrage of homing arrows with multiple curse marks can go a long way toward filling your weapon gauge as well.

3x Triangle's rain of arrows hit for pitiful amounts of damage. The initial arrow hits about half an uncharged square and the following rain, if every arrow hits, is just above an uncharged square. 2x Triangle actually deals more damage if they all hit. The value of 3x is that it lets you set off chain explosions reliably, but I really do prefer homing arrow for that.

Edit: Oh, right, also the yellow and red marks are related to range and damage. If they're yellow, you're too far and won't deal full damage(not sure how that affects explosions). Red means you're in range. The arrows for yellow marks are pitiful looking while with red marks they're large, red/orange shots of fury haha.

Damage diminishes with range, how much I don't know. I'd say if you're in range for a curse lob(about the same for red homing arrows) you're probably dealing full damage with everything, including square. But that's just assumption.

Edit2: Also, if you have a red mark set, it's going to behave as such even if they move to yellow range.

Edit3: About grinders, I actually usually lock on and start up a square soon after he dives. If he's coming at me, I run to the side + dodge and release the arrow. It can also hit far away if you time it and if he does his high jump to the sky, square's great for that too.

MH3U pretty much doesn't have a story other than "something something monsters go kill them". It's the same events that happen in Tri plus some more "kill all monsters".

The best kind of story.

And key components of the game aren't even locked behind it!

For more specific numbers: someone linked this post a while ago, damage per move for each weapon type translated from a japanese wiki.

Glad it was of some use. Reading that thread is what made me understand that the gauntlets' punch spam with circle isn't just for show. With attack speed boosts and the ability to shrug off attacks with my speed build, I can pump out way more damage than I should be able to with just circle.

Yep I cleared all the missions before it too. Aiming for completion. I was using the bow and it was getting me farther than just relying on my gauntlets (which is my main)

For anyone else doing this mission I recommend just speed killing each boss. Destroy one part, and focus on it. Other than fainting too much, your primary enemy is the time that you have. Since there are 1 boss per area, you only have 15 mins per boss. Also, as people have mentioned, choosing hayatori, hatsuho and nagi should give you three people on the first boss (which is a damned pyrogrinder which is annoying given the little space you have to work with)

For what it's worth, I still had 30 minutes left when I got to Sableblade. Pyrogrinder took 15 minutes, Bloodhunter took a little under 10, and Skyshredder was around 5.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Four Horseman is such, such, such a pain to do, especially since there are fights against the upgraded version of two the most annoying types of enemies ever, Skyshredder and Pyrogrinder. Sableblade is annoying too, as is Bloodhunter.

Thankfully I picked Hatsuho, Nagi, and Hayatori. The first two fights are me with Hatsuho and Hayatori, and they were such a pain in the arse to complete (makes me appreciate Nagi *THAT* much more...)

Amazingly though, managed to break all parts of Skyshredder and Sableblade... didn't expect that.

Anyways, a funny thing happened when I played with a bunch of strangers last night. I teamed up with perhaps two of the most hyperactive Toukiden players ever, hahaha. They use characters named Hayate and Hyouka (IIRC), and both of them used Gauntlets with ATK Mitama. I've gone into three fights with them together in tow and they fought with SUCH a reckless abandon I could not help but to be amused and entertained, hahaha.

The highlight of the night definitely came when we fought Frostwing along with another Bow character. The bow guy only sniped from afar, no cursed shot or anything, just shot and shot and shot and occasional SPT attack, which is funny, and both Hayate and Hyouka relentlessly, and I do mean relentlessly pounded the Frostwing's leg again and again and again and again and again and again. I stayed nearby to provide cursed shots explosion + occasional SPT attack and Destroyer shots.

The poor bastard didn't even had a chance to regenerate its wings as it fell over and over and over and over and over and over again due to Hayate and Hyouka pounded its legs mercilessly. Fell, get up, broken legs, fell again, squirming, back up, broken legs again, fell again, over and over and over again. Once it managed to get up and before it has a chance to regenerate its wings, I sniped its legs with Destroyer and it fell again, hahaha, and the merciless pounding continues on and on and on until it finally died.

That's probably the most amusing and entertaining fight I've ever had in my entire Toukiden history, hahaha. And the fact that they were being liberal with emoticons brighten my day (or night, as it were) too, hahaha. As a bonus, I got Blue Down too as a drop, something that I've been wanting for ages! Fantastic stuff.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh such a good memory. Makes me appreciate Gauntlet users that much more.

Speaking of, the save file game clock tells me I've managed to secure 96 hours of gameplay... that must have been a lie... I don't remember playing that much.....................

Oh Toukiden..how I have forsaken thee over the weekend. I just picked it up and played it...got the part I needed to complete my Cimmerian Armor AND the Mitama I wanted from him (Saito Dosan). It must be the game's way of enticing me to come back...

So now, I'm using Kagetoki, Sakamoto Otome and Saito Dosan as my mitama. Lotsa crit and focus gain on crit...can stay in air indefinitely (almost).

Thinking of farming that unique mitama skill that gives extra crit for sickle....anyone used that before?

Ogawa-san

The highlight of the night definitely came when we fought Frostwing along with another Bow character. The bow guy only sniped from afar, no cursed shot or anything, just shot and shot and shot and occasional SPT attack, which is funny, and both Hayate and Hyouka relentlessly, and I do mean relentlessly pounded the Frostwing's leg again and again and again and again and again and again. I stayed nearby to provide cursed shots explosion + occasional SPT attack and Destroyer shots.
I think I played with that bow char once, standing so far I couldn't even see without panning the camera around. I checked the records and s/he had almost 150h played and rank 9 gear, so it's not someone clueless but sticking around for easy drops without doing any work.

That turned me off from playing with randoms, actually. PTSD after years of WoW and people afking in LFD/BGs, I guess...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I think I played with that bow char once, standing so far I couldn't even see without panning the camera around. I checked the records and s/he had almost 150h played and rank 9 gear, so it's not someone clueless but sticking around for easy drops without doing any work.

That turned me off from playing with randoms, actually. PTSD after years of WoW and people afking in LFD/BGs, I guess...

Hahaha I wonder what's up with that guy, really. He's standing like so far away and only supplied normal/charged shots over and over and over again, with occasional Fountains and such.

It amused me, to be honest, but on the hindsight, he's probably just looking for easy drops without working for it, huh.

When I'm looking for fastest kills I always join rooms with other gauntlet users.

....but then I find out that they're terrible at the gauntlets' timing gimmick.

I think Scher is the only good gauntlet player I've met (but I haven't played with any other gauntlet using GAFfers).

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
It amused me, to be honest, but on the hindsight, he's probably just looking for easy drops without working for it, huh.

He might have been doing something else while playing. I watched the last 5 seasons of Dexter while playing Toukiden :x

When I'm looking for fastest kills I always join rooms with other gauntlet users.

....but then I find out that they're terrible at the gauntlets' timing gimmick.

I think Scher is the only good gauntlet player I've met (but I haven't played with any other gauntlet using GAFfers).

Hey, I'm a gauntlet user D: Don't know what's considered "good" when it comes to the crit hit timing mechanic. I don't think we've played though due to my dumb school internet. Hopefully we can play together next week, during spring break.

Hey, I'm a gauntlet user D: Don't know what's considered "good" when it comes to the crit hit timing mechanic. I don't think we've played though due to my dumb school internet. Hopefully we can play together next week, during spring break.

The gauntlets' square combo loops into itself with no recovery time/pausing infinitely if you continuously hit the timing right.

The randoms I've played with could never keep a combo going past the 4th hit, so while I can't see whether or not they have the blue crit flashes, I know that they're not consistent if the combo doesn't loop into itself.

But yeah, you and I haven't played together. We definitely should.

wilflare

met any good Sword players?
lol. I've beginning to avoid most bosses now :X
and still deal good damage... how I hope I could break parts as easy as the Gauntlet folks though.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
The gauntlets' square combo loops into itself with no recovery time/pausing infinitely if you continuously hit the timing right.

The randoms I've played with could never keep a combo going past the 4th hit, so while I can't see whether or not they have the blue crit flashes, I know that they're not consistent if the combo doesn't loop into itself.

But yeah, you and I haven't played together. We definitely should.

Oh yes. I think that was discussed in this forum before. In that case I'm by no means "good" at the timing mechanic. I consider myself to be good at timing things, but I haven't been able to comfortably determine what the sweet spot is for that crit. I usually just get the 3/4 but i usually end up doing a S S S T(hold) combo cause it highlights more than 1 part, making the monster more often than not glowing orange throughout the battle.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
met any good Sword players?
lol. I've beginning to avoid most bosses now :X
and still deal good damage... how I hope I could break parts as easy as the Gauntlet folks though.

A good gauntlet user is one that never drops crit hits!

Y'know, we all should try playing together sometimes, seeing as we are in the same timezones.

I am at chapter 7 SP phase 10-7 MP right now. What about you folks?

At the end of the first post, there's this screencap:

AgjUeOF.png

I can't believe I missed this. Thanks.

How long do people take to kill bosses in early chapters ?
I'm doing windshredder in 15 or so minutes so i'm wondering if it's normal time for chapter 2 or 3 or am i doing something wrong ?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I haven't been online yet with this game and so far only focusing on the single player story mode... mistake?

If you someday want to play MP with folks, yeah.

Just choose Single Player on the MP stone. It is basically same as SP only set in MP world so you can upgrade your phases and can play with more people without strangling them down because people are tied to the one with the lowest phases.

How long do people take to kill bosses in early chapters ?
I'm doing windshredder in 15 or so minutes so i'm wondering if it's normal time for chapter 2 or 3 or am i doing something wrong ?

Sounds about right, especially if you play with AIs.

Playing with skilled people can considerably cut down the time though.

RalchAC

I'm probably in phase 4 or something like that. I can't play during night now...Diablo 3's got my soul (again).

I'm at the same phase as you then. But your "night" is my 7 AM so it's gonna be hard. If there is some time we both can play together just say it :)

can you run into lower level enemies in later stages? i have a few quests for killing things i don't encounter anymore, like pale flying things. they have a different color at my current level.

i'm in chap. 4 currently. taking my time. some of you have rushed to the end in days :p

Wow, that IGN review is pure shit. I feel ashamed I even bothered giving it a click. This is like putting a 6 to every single MMO because World of Warcraft is bigger or putting it to every single sandbox game out there because GTA has a bigger budget. It certainly looks like she started playing the game convinced she was going to get bored and never really tried to enjoy it.

And, is Toukiden story really that bad and generic? I know it is not the best thing ever, but hunting games aren't usually storydriven so it wasn't a selling point for me. I'm finding it quite enjoyable so far, it's interesting enough and the characters in general are nice and likeable.

I don't think any reviewer that need to crush any game that pass their way and aren't intrested in the first place are going to stomach fighting a boss monster for 20 mins straight ( if everything goes well ) and this multiples times ( even if it goes a little bit faster afterwards )

In short , you can't make someone who dislike monster hunting having an interest in this game and that's what i felt while reading this review

Shengar

Four Horsemen is fun and frustating at the same time. It's frustating because the trash mob waste your agility away and somehow the bosses have their attack radar on you nearly all the fucking time. It's fun because the very limited skills (just realized that I actually could go back to starting zone and pray after I entered Sableblade zone) cast keep me on the edge all the time. Oni onslaught is harder for me since you have to solo a fricking Frostwing.

Puru

Luck mitama are pretty fun, i was honestly surprised.
It even gives a purpose to the existence of trash mob kinda like soul sacrifice.

Shengar

Luck mitama are pretty fun, i was honestly surprised.
It even gives a purpose to the existence of trash mob kinda like soul sacrifice.

It's pretty useful for multiple boss fight, makes all other player can use their skill without fear of getting exhausted too early.

Ogawa-san

On unlikely/underused mitama, I'm kinda having fun with SPC. I'm leveling one while I grind away mitamas, and warp is pretty nice for moving around quickly without wasting focus or getting away from some attack at the last second. Paradox also holds in place some annoying fast moving bosses like Sableblade. Probably not a shredder because they suck more than a paradox can handle.

Damage-wise it doesn't hold a candle to SPT of course, but it's good utility.
Oni onslaught is harder for me since you have to solo a fricking Frostwing.
And a harrowhalf afterwards. At least it's not at the same time, unlike Bloodhunter and Skyshredder.

Shengar

And a harrowhalf afterwards. At least it's not at the same time, unlike Bloodhunter and Skyshredder.

It's basically a damage magnet, if you still have all the skills, not exhausting all of it (including prayer stone in the area) on the Frostwing alone. I deliberately died so I can pray in the starting area so I can make the process a whole lot easier.

So the mission is Bloodhunter and Skyshredder at the same time? Fucking wow how am I to beat them

Ogawa-san

So the mission is Bloodhunter and Skyshredder at the same time? Fucking wow how am I to beat them
The Skyshredder seems to come in after 10min, whether you killed the Bloodhunter or not. So chances are you'll have both together for some time.

There will be trampling.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Fuck that double boss solo crap. It's already a pain in the ass having double bosses on four member parties, solo is just bloody absurd.

Shengar

Fuck that double boss solo crap. It's already a pain in the ass having double bosses on four member parties, solo is just bloody absurd.

Double Knives is great for soloing if you can focus on part of their body. I'm still can't decide which one is the best setup between ATK and SPD, both focus on maximizing precision damage, for that solo missions.

Kensuke

Ugh, grinding Sableblades for them tails.

Also finally hit the 500 item cap. The quest for the upgrade is nowhere in sight though, I'm only at chapter 4 in the SP. Having to sell items after every mission is getting old.

Shengar

I went into oni onslaught not knowing what would happen. that was fun. that frostwing has way less health than normal though.
Same here lol
I took that mission, expecting there will be solo against boss but I don't expected it to be a Frostwing. But I just went by, and managed to do it.
Ugh, grinding Sableblades for them tails.

Also finally hit the 500 item cap. The quest for the upgrade is nowhere in sight though, I'm only at chapter 4 in the SP. Having to sell items after every mission is getting old.

Have you received a mission where Tatara asked you for 3 Edax Hornbits? Also you could sold ancient coin and other item on the same category except soil to make some room.

Kensuke

Have you received a mission where Tatara asked you for 3 Edax Hornbits? Also you could sold ancient coin and other item on the same category except soil to make some room.

Not yet, even though I already have a bunch of edax hornbits. I think I need to progress SP a bit more for it to unlock.

Already sold all items that are only useful for money. Oh well, hopefully I won't need avaricious claws or more red clay for quests.

Kensuke

Can't seem to get Large Dragon Tails. Killed 7 Sableblades, only got 1. Need 4. Getting some nasty Monster Hunter flashbacks.

Top Bottom