• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Listonosh

Holy crap, after reading a few pages of this thread, my head is completely spinning from all the info you guys are sharing. This game is way deeper than I originally imagined it would be. Though, given that it's in the Monster Hunter genre, it's not hard to see why.

How exactly does friending on GAF work? Are we free to add anyone from the front page, or do we have to announce ourselves somehow?

Shengar

Holy crap, after reading a few pages of this thread, my head is completely spinning from all the info you guys are sharing. This game is way deeper than I originally imagined it would be. Though, given that it's in the Monster Hunter genre, it's not hard to see why.

How exactly does friending on GAF work? Are we free to add anyone from the front page, or do we have to announce ourselves somehow?

The Mitama definitely could make some gameplay difference on a same weapon and ultimately your role in a team. For instance, using ATK mitama on Spear with very high precision rate will be redundant since carnage will be completely wasted. High precision spear could make better use with SPD mitama that focused on precision damage increase and weapon gauge faster fill. But there are weapon with zero precision rate and big elemental damage which make ATK mitama more useful. Of course, the playstyle between them will be different on how player approach the bosses.

You can add anyone you want, though some note could make it better. Best if you can involved with the discussion here :)

Scher

Feel free to send a friend request to anyone who has posted their PSN account, and make sure to add a message saying you're from GAF so people know you're not a complete stranger randomly sending a request.

I'm pretty close to done with Defender of the Eye of Truth since I forced myself to do every mission as I unlocked chapters except for 6 and 7. I have like 8 missions left.

Listonosh

The Mitama definitely could make some gameplay difference on a same weapon and ultimately your role in a team. For instance, using ATK mitama on Spear with very high precision rate will be redundant since carnage will be completely wasted. High precision spear could make better use with SPD mitama that focused on precision damage increase and weapon gauge faster fill. But there are weapon with zero precision rate and big elemental damage which make ATK mitama more useful. Of course, the playstyle between them will be different on how player approach the bosses.

You can add anyone you want, though some note could make it better. Best if you can involved with the discussion here :)

Does it make sense to focus on a variety of weapon styles then? I've just been upgrading or crafting new types of longsword, but haven't touched anything else besides that. Figured I might as well be as proficient as I can with one type of weapon than a jack of all trades, though with how you explained it, it seems like switching to different weapons makes sense depending on the team comp.

Feel free to send a friend request to anyone who has posted their PSN account, and make sure to add a message saying you're from GAF so people know you're not a complete stranger randomly sending a request.

Thanks! Will do.

Does it make sense to focus on a variety of weapon styles then? I've just been upgrading or crafting new types of longsword, but haven't touched anything else besides that. Figured I might as well be as proficient as I can with one type of weapon than a jack of all trades, though with how you explained it, it seems like switching to different weapons makes sense depending on the team comp.

I'm well over 100 hours in and I've only used gauntlets after trying out every weapon in the demo.

I've also stuck with Speed mitama for the entire time. My passive skills changed a lot over the last 100 hours, but my active skills have been the same.

Really, just build yourself in a way that makes the weapon you've chosen more fun to you.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
I don't think any reviewer that need to crush any game that pass their way and aren't intrested in the first place are going to stomach fighting a boss monster for 20 mins straight ( if everything goes well ) and this multiples times ( even if it goes a little bit faster afterwards )

In short , you can't make someone who dislike monster hunting having an interest in this game and that's what i felt while reading this review

This reviewer actually gave Monster Hunter 3U a favorable review. Apparently, she's the MH fanatic in IGN but it was a still a very bad review. She was hoping it'd have the "charm" and "goofyness" of MH (I suppose you get this from the Felynes?) but that's beside the whole point of the game.

I apologize. I simply cannot express my dislike toward this reviewer enough.

Anyway, I really like how you can press x after being thrown or pushed down, and it makes your character quickly stand back on its feet like a fu
ckin
g boss.

I'm well over 100 hours in and I've only used gauntlets after trying out every weapon in the demo.

I've also stuck with Speed mitama for the entire time. My passive skills changed a lot over the last 100 hours, but my active skills have been the same.

Really, just build yourself in a way that makes the weapon you've chosen more fun to you.

I did the same. I use Sickle and Chain with Spirit Mitama(s), but I respec a couple of times to get the skills I wanted like Chain, Eruption Stock etc.

This reviewer actually gave Monster Hunter 3U a favorable review. Apparently, she's the MH fanatic in IGN but it was a still a very bad review. She was hoping it'd have the "charm" and "goofyness" of MH (I suppose you get this from the Felynes?) but that's beside the whole point of the game.

I apologize. I simply cannot express my dislike toward this reviewer enough.

Anyway, I really like how you can press x after being thrown or pushed down, and it makes your character quickly stand back on its feet like a fu
ckin
g boss.

If true then it didn't show.
I don't understand why people want other franchises to have a MH feel ?Tokiden ( and soul sacrifice or god eater ) have their own feeligns, their own little things that make them unique.
There is no point in copying Mh ( because the frmula didn't change all that much across the years and there is no point in doing Mh when MH fans can have MH).

Is it so much to ask for a fresh take on the genre ? Many franchises try but it's like nobody has the right idea until Mh does it as well even if it was already there for years on the other franchises.
Toukiden has a lot of right ideas and even if everything isn't great they really nailed in term of skill grind and battle feelign. One game shouldn't go down because it doesn't have MH feelign .. It's not "monster hunter : toukiden" , it's just "Toukiden".

ramyeon

Reviews are subjective guys. Not everyone's gonna feel the same way as you or like the same things as you. I don't agree with the review either but it isn't the end of the world :p

What is terrible is that I've started up classes for University again so I can't play nearly as much as before :(

Reviews are subjective guys. Not everyone's gonna feel the same way as you or like the same things as you. I don't agree with the review either but it isn't the end of the world :p

What is terrible is that I've started up classes for University again so I can't play nearly as much as before :(
Oh come on, Himiko、I've been in class the entire time and I've managed 100 hours! I believe in you!

ramyeon

Oh come on, Himiko、I've been in class the entire time and I've managed 100 hours! I believe in you!
Haha that's quite impressive! I'll have to try and squeeze in some game time. Supposed to be graduating this semester though so I need to watch out, MH3U devoured my life last year and basically killed my grades :p

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member

This is true but I just know for a fact people are now skipping out on the game because of the review. Good thing there is that demo however. I think that demo could have saved lots of people from not getting the game due to badly written reviews.

So have I!! :D If we can do it. so can you! Remember folks, first comes video games, then comes edumacation.

Ogawa-san

I'm only missing 7 entries to complete the slayer records, Eye of Truth mask for 7 bosses. Only way to get it is by breaking all parts and hoping for the best, right?

20 unsuccessful Ex Chthonian kills today, either it dies before I can break everything or I get yet another Shadowflame. I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing it wrong.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
I'm only missing 7 entries to complete the slayer records, Eye of Truth mask for 7 bosses. Only way to get it is by breaking all parts and hoping for the best, right?

20 unsuccessful Ex Chthonian kills today, either it dies before I can break everything or I get yet another Shadowflame. I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing it wrong.

how do you get a Shadowflame? I've been needing to get one and you seem to have too many of them haha.

Maybe you should use a weaker weapon or less AI? The AI don't really prioritize breaking all parts per se..

Seil

how do you get a Shadowflame? I've been needing to get one and you seem to have too many of them haha.

Maybe you should use a weaker weapon or less AI? The AI don't really prioritize breaking all parts per se..

Shadowflame is the rarer material from purifying Chthonian Fiend remains and all break bonuses. Infernal shadowflame is its Ex equivalent. Of course, lower tier items can come from Ex bosses too -.- Nothing like going after horns to get hornbits etc lol.

Scher

I'm a bit curious about the trophy "Defender of the Eye of Truth". I noticed some people were talking about it earlier and there seemed to be mixed ideas on what it actually required. When it says to complete all missions, does it mean only SP mission or both SP and MP missions?

Shengar

Review is definitely subjective, and those who asking for objective are like asking disaster to disappear from this world. Because it's subjective, I'm expect solid argument and fair view on a review, but it seems the majority of reviewers (all media not just game) are quite clueless on fairness and presenting the right argument of their judgement. But yeah, whatevs.
Haha that's quite impressive! I'll have to try and squeeze in some game time. Supposed to be graduating this semester though so I need to watch out, MH3U devoured my life last year and basically killed my grades :p
Hunting action is very dangerous for student. It is like Civilization, but much easier to get trapped to "just one more time" circle. You'll be lucky stopping yourself after three hunts while one hour earlier you said to yourself that it'll be just one hunt.
This just came in the mail. Where do I start? Help.
Yamato training sessions should be a good start to know which weapon is the best for you. Though some weapon can only show its depth by fighting big onis like kusarigama(chain&sickle), dual knives, and bow.
I'm a bit curious about the trophy "Defender of the Eye of Truth". I noticed some people were talking about it earlier and there seemed to be mixed ideas on what it actually required. When it says to complete all missions, does it mean only SP mission or both SP and MP missions?

I got the impression that Laughing Banana already finished all the SP mission, thus I take it that Defender of the Eye of Truth include MP missions as well. But then his further reaction seemed that he have yet to finish all SP missions.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I got the impression that Laughing Banana already finished all the SP mission, thus I take it that Defender of the Eye of Truth include MP missions as well. But then his further reaction seemed that he have yet to finish all SP missions.

No, not even close. I only did what is required to finish all the chapters, not *all* the missions from beginning to end.

Ogawa-san

Shadowflame is the rarer material from purifying Chthonian Fiend remains and all bonuses. Infernal shadowflame is its Ex equivalent. Of course, lower tier items can come from Ex bosses too -.- Nothing like going after horns to get hornbits etc lol.
I'm not even getting Infernal Shadowflame, just regular Shadowflame and also other regular difficulty drops mixed in. This is from P8-1:
Cm2Lkgm.jpg
I don't get it.

Seil

I'm not even getting Infernal Shadowflame, just regular Shadowflame and also other regular difficulty drops mixed in. This is from P8-1:

I don't get it.

Yeah it sucks when that happens =/ Surprised it's happening that much, though. Really wish they would have made the Ex bosses only drop Ex materials.

I don't get it.

It just feels like certain items don't exist in certain people's games. I have tons of Shadowflames, Infernal Shadowflames, but can I get a single Chthnonian Cloak? No. Not a single one in 100+ hours.

Scher

Toukiden's Desire Sensor™ is real.

Farm more Edax hornbits.

It just feels like certain items don't exist in certain people's games. I have tons of Shadowflames, Infernal Shadowflames, but can I get a single Chthnonian Cloak? No. Not a single one in 100+ hours.

At least it's better than MH3U where certain items literally didn't exist in your game if you started it at the wrong time?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah it sucks when that happens =/ Surprised it's happening that much, though. Really wish they would have made the Ex bosses only drop Ex materials.

It really feels like *everything* in this game is designed around grinding. The materials conundrum, the "oh you just destroyed that part but it's not a guarantee that it will drop haha" or its extension, "...even if it's dropping something we have 2 versions of it like horn and hornbit, harharharhar."

The exorbitant amount of money required to upgrade equipment. The extremely exorbitant amount of money required to forge (240.000 being the lowest...) The ineffective EXP gain for Mitama Slot 2 and 3 (and even 1 is debatable). The loss of Mitama if you forge a weapon from it which then you need to find again. The "harharharharhar you beat it but the mitama drop is not a guarantee so you need to keep trying harharharharhar"

Don't forget, "here we go, fight Hell's Warden x 2, Sableblade, and Amaranthine King in one mission, all for your pleasure <3" setup :x Or solo double bosses missions.

ETC ETC ETC.

I have around 5 of those, hahaha.

Farm more Edax hornbits.

At least it's better than MH3U where certain items literally didn't exist in your game if you started it at the wrong time?

Wow, really? Details please! I don't own a Wii U, nor do I plan to get one, but that sounds interesting to me, having sunk 500-ish hours into the original MH3.

Wow, really? Details please! I don't own a Wii U, nor do I plan to get one, but that sounds interesting to me, having sunk 500-ish hours into the original MH3.

there's this dumb shit called charm tables where depending on the time your character was created you could/couldn't get certain charm drops and stuff. certain charm tables were better for certain classes because of the skills being so weapon dependent for their effectiveness

It's really, really stupid and I didn't even bother trying to get a good charm table. worked out in the end since I used a good variety of weapons. hammer still da best

Scher

Others have kind of answered it already, but they didn't mention probably one of the worst parts about charm tables.

Certain charm tables were considered "cursed" because they had significantly less charms (I want to say 200 as opposed to 20000 or something like that) and a couple of these "cursed" charm tables were also associated with no rust shard drops.

Shengar

Who the fucking think charm table is a good idea. It's like you won't be able to receive Minamoto no Yoshitsune because you started on the wrong day and clueless about it. That's a whole new level on RNG screwed.

That's the absolutely horrendous charm table. Don't even know why it's in there in the first place.

there's this dumb shit called charm tables where depending on the time your character was created you could/couldn't get certain charm drops and stuff. certain charm tables were better for certain classes because of the skills being so weapon dependent for their effectiveness

It's really, really stupid and I didn't even bother trying to get a good charm table. worked out in the end since I used a good variety of weapons. hammer still da best

Others have kind of answered it already, but they didn't mention probably one of the worst parts about charm tables.

Certain charm tables were considered "cursed" because they had significantly less charms (I want to say 200 as opposed to 20000 or something like that) and a couple of these "cursed" charm tables were also associated with no rust shard drops.

Ohhh yeah, I do know about this, because they existed in MHP3rdG, as well, on psp. God that was awful.

Who the fucking think charm table is a good idea. It's like you won't be able to receive Minamoto no Yoshitsune because you started on the wrong day and clueless about it. That's a whole new level on RNG screwed.

There's a lot of stupid shit in MH, but charm tables definitely take the shit cake.

Still one of the best series in gaming. Just wish Capcom gave it a chance to live in America.

what in the world is this nonsense T_T
so what's a good time to start the game?

WHAT? ><

Before I started MH3U, I used the gamefaqs time table and a stop watch to find the right time to get the table that I want. It's THAT dumb. But oh well, back to Toukiden....

What's up with Sableblade? He's not that bad. I used Nagi, Hayatori and Fugaku as AI companions in that mission.

Before I started MH3U, I used the gamefaqs time table and a stop watch to find the right time to get the table that I want. It's THAT dumb. But oh well, back to Toukiden....

What's up with Sableblade? He's not that bad. I used Nagi, Hayatori and Fugaku as AI companions in that mission.

Yeah, honestly, I was disappointed with Sableblade since first run at Nightblade weeks ago was probably one of the most difficult besides Bladewing. Though now I can also solo Frostwing no issues so it's just an experience thing.

Oh, speaking of experience, I wanted to ask if any other gauntlet users were taking advantage of Gauntlets' ability to dodge offset (to borrow a term from Bayonetta).

Explanation of Dodge Offset for the unfamiliar:

You start a combo and you dodge before the end of it. If you start attacking immediately after your dodge ends, you pick the combo back up from where you left off without starting over.

So for example:

Square(20 damage [25 if from sprinting])->
Square(10 damage)->
Square(10 damage)->
Dodge->
Square still leads to Gauntlets' strongest normal punch, which is 25 damage, but FIFTY whole damage if the previous three punches were timed perfectly as per the gauntlets' timing mechanic.

Unlike Bayonetta though, you can't dodge multiple times in a row between attacks. You only get the one, but it's more than enough (in my experience) to quickly get out of an attack and then punish with my strongest punch or with the triangle flaming punch that hits multiple targets, or whatever you feel like.

And I don't mean you can only dodge once per combo, by the way. I just mean once in a row.

So you could actually do:

Square->
Dodge->
Square->
Dodge->
Square->
Dodge->
Square

and see the gauntlets' full combo.

I'm not sure if the other weapons allow dodge offsetting, but I thought it was really cool of Tecmo Koei to work this into a hunting genre game.

Sorry I didn't have this in my previous primer on gauntlets. I only realized I could do it around last week and I've been experimenting ever since.

Scher

Oh, speaking of experience, I wanted to ask if any other gauntlet users were taking advantage of Gauntlets' ability to dodge offset (to borrow a term from Bayonetta).

I've noticed the offset a couple of times, but I've never really thought to try and take advantage of it. I normally don't dodge unless I'm trying to get away from stuff, so normally I'm too far away from something to hit it after I've dodged. I normally prefer to just block if I'm going to stay up close.

I've noticed the offset a couple of times, but I've never really thought to try and take advantage of it. I normally don't dodge unless I'm trying to get away from stuff, so normally I'm too far away from something to hit it after I've dodged. I normally prefer to just block if I'm going to stay up close.

I see. Well, you're built like a crazy awesome tank so I totally understand. I know I said my build from a few days ago was final but I recently found out about Kojiro Sasaki (speed type mitama from Dreadhalf in an Age of War mission).

I currently have Toyotomi Hideyoshi with:

Agility+ (Dual)
Vigor (Time+10s)
Vigor+ (Nimble)

I want to get Kojiro Sasaki with:

Agility+ (Dual)
Vigor+ (Nimble)
Evasion (lengthens invulnerability frames of the dodge)

I just tested it with a Space mitama named Ikkyu since he gets evasion at level 2, and not only is the increase significant, but it applies to the gauntlets' dash on top of the regular roll. 10 seconds more vigor is nice, but I think I'd be able to exploit even more openings if I could dash through simple attacks/shockwaves and continue attacking without wasting one of my charges of Agility+(Dual).

My one annoyance with my build is that my reflexes/muscle memory tell me to GUARD simple attacks I see coming, but even if I block the attack successfully, it eats one of my Agility charges if I have the skill active, which sucks. So if I had evasion, I could get myself to dash through the easy attacks, which (I also tested), doesn't eat one of my active agilities.

5 Abyssal Fiends, 4 rosaries. Now if only I had golden skulls x.x Cerberus can drop them, right?

Yes, quite frequently, I think.

Seil

Yes, quite frequently, I think.

Mmk, cool. I've only fought him 3 times. Gotten haku sacs, short foot and light sprites but not golden skulls yet so wasn't sure.

Also drops perpetual vacuums, so helpful for the upgrade too I suppose. Guess I have a lot of Cerberus ahead of me haha. Easy boss and lots of haku, so no complaints I suppose.

Mmk, cool. I've only fought him 3 times. Gotten haku sacs, short foot and light sprites but not golden skulls yet so wasn't sure.

Also drops perpetual vacuums, so helpful for the upgrade too I suppose. Guess I have a lot of Cerberus ahead of me haha. Easy boss and lots of haku, so no complaints I suppose.

For what it's worth, I've only killed 2 shadow souls (outside the training) and they've only dropped Light sprites for me, but I somehow have 3 Golden Skulls.

I've fought Cerberus twice, myself.

Edit: But definitely don't take that to mean anything since I somehow have never gotten a Chthnonian Cloak in 100+ hours and Laughing Banana has 5.

Scher

I just tested it with a Space mitama named Ikkyu since he gets evasion at level 2, and not only is the increase significant, but it applies to the gauntlets' dash on top of the regular roll. 10 seconds more vigor is nice, but I think I'd be able to exploit even more openings if I could dash through simple attacks/shockwaves and continue attacking without wasting one of my charges of Agility+(Dual).

My one annoyance with my build is that my reflexes/muscle memory tell me to GUARD simple attacks I see coming, but even if I block the attack successfully, it eats one of my Agility charges if I have the skill active, which sucks. So if I had evasion, I could get myself to dash through the easy attacks, which (I also tested), doesn't eat one of my active agilities.

I'm not really sure of the best way to ask, but about how significant is the increase in i-frames? Would you say double or triple what you normally would have? I'm mostly curious so as to have kind of a frame of reference. Also, that really sucks the blocking still eats up one of your charges, but I guess that's understandable since blocking only reduces damage as opposed to completely negating it.

Also, I feel safe in saying I've completed singleplayer!

M6OKGKvl.jpg

Did that last mission on and off over the past hour while studying. It was a lot easier than I was expecting it to be. Although, since I asked about it before, the Defender of the Eye of Truth trophy does not unlock with all SP missions complete, so it looks like I still have plenty of MP to do.

Top Bottom