• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Ogawa-san

Not that he's are a great pick anyway... Hayatori never leaves my group because everything he does is handy plus he does seem to like to climb to upper parts, Ibuki blocks rushes fairly often, Oka is a decent tank and Nagi is a decent healer.

Meanwhile Fugaku dempsey rolls air all the time and Hatsuho never leaves the ground. Meh.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
And there I thought I was the only one. He's gotten pretty stupid over time.

I always take Hayatori, Nagi, and Oka mostly because of their skills. Hayatori cause of the trap he can set on occasion, for free damage, and also the purple field that he sets up mostly when purifying objects and the puncture ability he uses a lot.

Nagi, cause she's pretty good at using the Panacea skill sometimes when you're near death and the Vitality skill is also useful, not to mention her bow even goes for the hard to reach body parts at times, but thats a gamble, however more likely to get those horns than someone like Fugaku.

And Oka finally cause of her barrier skill, which is not much but it does matter sometimes when the enemy is trashing about and you need to be revived, or to purify a part.

I've been taking Oka, Nagi, and Hatsuho, because I like the idea of having 3 vixens wrecking house with me :D

Nagi is great for healing, sure, but I like the extra bow. As far as the rest of them, I'd prefer to build my female relationships first *cough* and then work on dudebro-ing it up. Fugaku was a pick for a while, because of his defense lowering attacks, but meh, like I think the 'roids started getting to his brain. Oka never seems to drop any sort of barrier, and Hatsuho always seems to be quicker to rivive. I will start taking others in to battle, for the reasons you all use. Will see how it all goes.

On those "kill X many trash mobs in this time limit" missions, I have always taken Oka.

injurai

Banned
I've only been playing the demo but I'm having a hard time getting into it. I really love the art and aesthetic, especially the OST. But the combat and mechanics just are grooving with me. Feels like mmo grind and fetch quests so far.

I've only been playing the demo but I'm having a hard time getting into it. I really love the art and aesthetic, especially the OST. But the combat and mechanics just are grooving with me. Feels like mmo grind and fetch quests so far.

Is this first hunting game you played? ;) That's how they are designed.

injurai

Banned
Is this first hunting game you played? ;) That's how they are designed.

It is. I like the idea of being issues missions and such. Gameplay from various hunting games has always intrigued me.

I think the thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is just where does the game part come in. From what I can see there are no combos, all the tools I have been given don't really have any applications yet. I'm just going through the motions of spamming attacks.

For how much tutorial dialog there has been, there has been zero depth to the combat so far.

Seil

It is. I like the idea of being issues missions and such. Gameplay from various hunting games has always intrigued me.

I think the thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is just where does the game part come in. From what I can see there are no combos, all the tools I have been given don't really have any applications yet. I'm just going through the motions of spamming attacks.

For how much tutorial dialog there has been, there has been zero depth to the combat so far.

Zero depth? ._.

Gauntlets have a timing mechanic that allows them to guarantee criticals with their standard punch. Their triangle lets them weaken areas of the target. Their circle is an attack that builds up to a huge finale so long as they can maintain it til the end.

Swords have a ton of combo potential with their square and triangle attacks. Their circle lets them target a part, beat it to hell with other attacks, sheathe the blade and unleash a large burst of damage.

Knives are simple in terms of attack choices, but they can climb large oni, so there's that.

Kusarigama let you go aerial and provide both mid-range and melee attack choices.

Bows require a lot of management to get the most out of them as you have to deal with cursed arrows, deciding which of your other attacks to use in a given situation, positioning, aiming etc.

Spears are pretty straightforward but you've got combo potential, ability to aim at parts, ability to use a counter to charges etc.

And that's just weapon mechanics, not even touching on all of the Mitama skills and ability combinations... Even players using the same weapon and Mitama type can have different playstyles due to their builds.

That said, the demo only has one large oni fight, right?(I actually never played the demo x.x) So, the Manhunter will be the only indication of how bosses play out, despite being easy. And taking down bosses is the real focus of these types of games(Well, that and farming items to make new stuff to take down bosses haha). Weapon mechanics really mean little when it comes to the grunts, because they're just gonna die fast no matter what you do.

Just picked this up. I'm in chapter 2 of the story and phase 2 of the online stuff. This is my first hunting game since the first MH back on the PS2, so I'm trying to get back on the wagon :)

Hope to play with some of you soon!

injurai

Banned
Honest question, what kind of depth you're expecting? The demo is quite representative on how the game will played at very basic level.

I got to the point where you can do the weapons trainer. Which drastically improved the combat experience. They throw you into the game explain all the supporting systems, but tell you nothing about the core combat. So I was failing to see how the game had any real depth. I'm really starting to enjoy it now... may end up buying this.

I take it there are more maps and areas beyond what's in the demo?

Damn, I've been waiting for someone to join my room for some Bladewing hunt for quite a while, but no dice. Is anyone up to it? I made a room called "bladewing", 5-5, no password.

Shengar

I got to the point where you can do the weapons trainer. Which drastically improved the combat experience. They throw you into the game explain all the supporting systems, but tell you nothing about the core combat. So I was failing to see how the game had any real depth. I'm really starting to enjoy it now... may end up buying this.

I take it there are more maps and areas beyond what's in the demo?
So you haven't got the weapon training mission before, which explains your notion of the game not having any depth. Well, that usually the problem that many hunting action game had; the lack of weapon training arena. Thank goodness Toukiden have one, despite it miss some weapon moves in the training section.

Yes there five more areas beyond the demo, so there are six areas in total.
Damn, I've been waiting for someone to join my room for some Bladewing hunt for quite a while, but no dice. Is anyone up to it? I made a room called "bladewing", 5-5, no password.

I would like to join, but I don't have my modem with me right now :(

So you haven't got the weapon training mission before, which explains your notion of the game not having any depth. Well, that usually the problem that many hunting action game had; the lack of weapon training arena. Thank goodness Toukiden have one, despite it miss some weapon moves in the training section.

Yes there five more areas beyond the demo, so there are six areas in total.

I would like to join, but I don't have my modem with me right now :(

=/
Well, I'll hit the sack, then. PM me if you can some other day at around this time; I'd love to get some GAF company =]

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member

I think the depth really comes in with the mitamas.

Building your own set up to suit the way you want to play is basically Toukiden's bread and butter.

injurai

Banned
I think the depth really comes in with the mitamas.

Building your own set up to suit the way you want to play is basically Toukiden's bread and butter.

It's my first hunting game so I don't really know what to look for, or what is out there. I struggled to get into the MH3U demo on the 3DS, but Toukiden seems right up my ally in terms of the world and controls. Just feels really great, characters are neat.

Now that I understand combos, the combat is less monotonous. I've still yet to really feel the power of mitamas. Not sure how long the demo is, I only have two. I never find myself needing them in battle. But I can see them being vital to boss encounters.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
It's my first hunting game so I don't really know what to look for, or what is out there. I struggled to get into the MH3U demo on the 3DS, but Toukiden seems right up my ally in terms of the world and controls. Just feels really great, characters are neat.

Now that I understand combos, the combat is less monotonous. I've still yet to really feel the power of mitamas. Not sure how long the demo is, I only have two. I never find myself needing them in battle. But I can see them being vital to boss encounters.

I currently have 92 mitamas. The art style for each "card" is great too, along with their bios or whatever, and it kinda reminds me of Pokemon, in that you're collecting all these neat "warrior souls."

I think the demo leaves out a few of the battle styles. There is Attack, Defense, Speed, Healing, Spirit, Deceit, Space, and Luck. Each type has their different skills (except for recovery which heals you; they all have it) and their own little kinks with purification, too.

For example with the healing mitama as a main, you can land an attack on your ally to heal them of their ailments. If you land an attack on your enemy from behind while having a deceit mitama equipped improves your chances of a precision strike. With the attack mitama equip you recover focus faster while purifying, and with the defense mitama you get this little "shield" which you can refill simply by purifying after it has been emptied. And with the space mitama you can shorten your allies skill charge times when they're in your area of purification, and with luck, you can restore skills by purification. Along with each of the ones you have set up come passive boosts which are unique in their own and those add another layer and make you think more carefully about how you want to play. I didn't even know these things until i was well into the game, but they sure are neat.

Scher

Alright! Now that I'm done with a test and grading papers, my spring break has pretty much officially begun! Is there anyone that would be interested in doing some multiplayer? Would like to do some phase 9 missions if at all possible.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
Alright! Now that I'm done with a test and grading papers, my spring break has pretty much officially begun! Is there anyone that would be interested in doing some multiplayer? Would like to do some phase 9 missions if at all possible.

I would but every time i try connecting I get an error.

Shengar

I heard MH3U is really bad at introducing the game. After playing it, I understand that it can't have the same demo model like Toukiden where you play first portion of the game that gives you all the basic to do. With that in mind, I'll recommend Toukiden to anyone who want to get into hunting action since it have lower entry barrier than MH.

I currently have 92 mitamas. The art style for each "card" is great too, along with their bios or whatever, and it kinda reminds me of Pokemon, in that you're collecting all these neat "warrior souls."
Reading mitamas bio after you got them is definitely a refreshing experience! At this point, where mitama is rare occurence, I cherished every moment when I got a new one.

We need to beat that time attack missions together sometimes. Only managed to beat Harrowhalf with barely 1 minute left :(
Strange because I swear I usually defeat Dreadhalf under 10 minutes mark.

Scher

We need to beat that time attack missions together sometimes. Only managed to beat Harrowhalf with barely 1 minute left :(
Strange because I swear I usually defeat Dreadhalf under 10 minutes mark.

I'd love to get a group together for the time attack missions sometime. I've only done one of the easier ones, but I have a feeling my build isn't going to kill fast enough unless I really push it.

I just completed Age of Demons in the campaign, and that's it? Thought there'll be 9 chapters...like MP has 9 phases (or more?)

Age of Demons wasn't that bad. The Fourhorsemen was much more difficult for me though.

Time to get back MP phase 4 up to par.

Scher

Alright, I made a room.

Room: gaf
Pass: 1234

Let's see if we can at least get several of them done before you have to leave!

ramyeon

Ahh man I missed the Umbrapod :( probably gonna have to call it a day for me too. I need to do some SP next at some point so I can get the quest to upgrade my materials chest :/ keep having to sell stuff after every mission. Thanks guys!

Scher

Aw, you guys played while I don't have my modem D:
The Blue Oni, Red Oni mission will be like hell if done with NPC.

Which mission is that, exactly? I'm only in the beginning of phase 9, still, so I'm not sure what mission you're talking about. Also, do you have an idea when you'll be getting a modem? I'd be more than happy to help you out and do time trials again when you do. I'm going to have plenty of free time in the upcoming week.

Shengar

Which mission is that, exactly? I'm only in the beginning of phase 9, still, so I'm not sure what mission you're talking about. Also, do you have an idea when you'll be getting a modem? I'd be more than happy to help you out and do time trials again when you do. I'm going to have plenty of free time in the upcoming week.

I should get my modem back tomorrow. Also the mission name is actually Blue and Red Fiend, which I assume as the last mission of Phase 9 before you procceed to phase 10. Like the name suggest, you fight both Cthonian and Abyssal Fiend at the same time.

Arveene

Neo Member
Searched and didn't find anything concrete. I've done the red missions and the last mission on the list I have for phase 2 and haven't unlocked phase 3 yet. Does anyone have a list of key missions to maximize progression speed?

I heard MH3U is really bad at introducing the game. After playing it, I understand that it can't have the same demo model like Toukiden where you play first portion of the game that gives you all the basic to do. With that in mind, I'll recommend Toukiden to anyone who want to get into hunting action since it have lower entry barrier than MH.

More like MH is just bad game which takes itself way too seriously trying to create pseudo-simulator.

krossj

Finished all the single player missions. I don't remember seeing the viper or venom (?) queen's shell explosion move until that single player mission you have to fight them both.

Scher

Finished all the single player missions. I don't remember seeing the viper or venom (?) queen's shell explosion move until that single player mission you have to fight them both.

That was the same for me. Before that point, I had always purified the shell, but I decided not to purify the shell just so I could get through the mission quicker. Was a bit of a surprise to see that it just blows up if you don't purify it.

Shengar

I found another gamchanger thing again today, for me ay least: You can use Destroyer mid air when using dual knives! Before I know this I always thought that Dual Knives Destroyer is kinda shitty for being limited to one limb, hard to aim, and impossibility to hit higher parts. Now I think I can solo Cimmerian King with it instead of Spear. If only SPC Warp skill castable mid air....

Top Bottom