• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2011 Official Thread (July 2-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a stage!

You have to hand it to Andy Schleck, that was the greatest attack we have seen in YEARS in the tour. Attacking at 60KM out on a stage with THREEE Hour Categorie climbs... absolutely bonkers!

But Evans keeps in the hunt and what about Thomas Voekcler, what a performance! The things the Maillot Jaune can do to a man!

Literally cannot wait until tomorrow now.

Pachael

Zakath said:
Great ITT from Evans.

MVPs for today:
1. Andy for his fantastic attack
2. Cadel for the fantastic fightback by dragging the chain for ~8km to fightback to only 2:15 down on Andy
3. Thomas (Vockler) for following and keeping the bloody yellow.

Wow, tomorrow will be a hoot.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Both Schlecks and Evans will fight for GC. Contador is finished, Voeckler is not good at TT...

Wow, Contador is toast. I didn't really believe the apologist "oh he's just biding his time!!" stuff, but at this point he's going to have to battle just to finish in the top 5, much less make the podium.

Andy should be allowed to whine if he's going to do this sort of thing a day or two later.

Leonsito

Elfforkusu said:
Wow, Contador is toast. I didn't really believe the apologist "oh he's just biding his time!!" stuff, but at this point he's going to have to battle just to finish in the top 5, much less make the podium.

Andy should be allowed to whine if he's going to do this sort of thing a day or two later.

Contador always said that he likes to attack everyday he can, if he doesn't attack he's not fit, it's very clear in that regard.

Fantastic climb by Evans btw, he cut more than two minutes with Andy.

Pachael

Leonsito said:
Andy attack reminds me of Landis one in 2006, doping apart.

It was funny watching the SBS feed with the commentators going (wow, I haven't seen an attack like that in the modern Tour), and all I can think of is the ~10 minutes or so Landis got back in one of the stages a few years back.*

*Again, doping aside.

RustyO

Pachael said:
MVPs for today:
1. Andy for his fantastic attack
2. Cadel for the fantastic fightback by dragging the chain for ~8km to fightback to only 2:15 down on Andy
3. Thomas (Vockler) for following and keeping the bloody yellow.

Yep, I like this.

Pachael said:
Wow, tomorrow will be a hoot.

Alpe d'Huez will be great.

Imagine Frank will attack, and see what the reactions are.

froliq

What a show! This years tour got really good after the first week like I hoped for.

Here's hoping for another spectacular stage tomorrow.

RustyO said:
Alpe d'Huez will be great.

Imagine Frank will attack, and see what the reactions are.

I agree. The great thing about the Leopard Trek team is that they have a plan B. Even if Andy has burnt himself out, Frank will have conserved energy to make an attack himself, and he is a previous winner at Alpe d'huez.

Evans is the superior time trialer to the Schlecks, but after 3 consecutive days in the Alps, it is really hard to nail it in a time trial. It reminds me of many years ago when Tony Romminger beat Miguel Indurain in the last time trial, and that was all because he had hurt him so much in the mountains in the days running up to the trial, that Indurain (who was probably the greatest time trialer of all time) could not rise to the challenge.

Regardless, the tour organisers should be congratulated for an epic tour this year. Last year's was so boring and a complete anti-climax. This year has had some great stages and hopefully, it will have a really close finish.

Kabouter

What a stage!
Voeckler is a legend!
And as much as I hate his arrogance, in attacking so early, taking so much risk, Andy Schleck definitely deserves a tour win more than Cadel Evans. Guessing Frank Schleck will attack tomorrow.

rithvikgv

Neo Member
Awesome ride from Andy. Just hope he hasn't burned out his legs for tomorrow. How much do you think he needs to keep Evans at bay in the time trial?

Kabouter

rithvikgv said:
Awesome ride from Andy. Just hope he hasn't burned out his legs for tomorrow. How much do you think he needs to keep Evans at bay in the time trial?
A minute, maybe two should do it. Late time trial like that tends to even things out, and the people who proved strongest in the mountains always do really well.

guidop

Tomorrow pretty much comes down to Cadel's legs and his team. I see Frank Schleck doing a Sastre on Cadel tomorrow with his team no where in sight.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Awesome ride by Andy. He wound me up two days ago, but today he finally made a move that mattered. This what everyone wanted from the Schlecks for the last few years. So now hopefully they can show this type of grit in the future going forward.

Cadel really shone in that chase. Great to see Thomas hang on to the yellow jersey. I expect Frank to attack tomorrow.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Modane Valfréjus Alpe-d’Huez - 109.5 km

Km 26.5 - Col du Télégraphe (1 566 m) - 11.9 km climb to 7.1 % - Category 1
Km 48.5 - Col du Galibier (2 556m) - 16.7 km climb to 6.8 % - Category H
Km 109.5 - Alpe d'Huez (1 850 m) - 13.8 km climb to 7.9 % - Category H

PROFILKMS.gif

olore

Wow, what an effort by Andy, Cadel and the Maillot Jaune. Balls to the wall racing.

Does anyone have a link to a website that streams tomorrows stage to Alpe d`Huez?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
What a stage. I wouldn't mind seeing Voeckler winning the Tour but I know he'll probably crack tomorrow :(

How long has it been since a Frenchman won? 20-30 years?

Kabouter

speedpop said:
What a stage. I wouldn't mind seeing Voeckler winning the Tour but I know he'll probably crack tomorrow :(

How long has it been since a Frenchman won? 20-30 years?
Hinault's fifth, and final, win was in 1985.
Hasn't been a Luxembourgois winner since Charly Gaul's win in 1958 though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Everything on the line then. Evans seems to be in the most comfortable position due to his better ability with TTs but we've all seen him lose out on those stages in the past few years due to the presence of yellow.

Omikron

Evans really just needs to keep Voeckler + Schlecks within 1-2min range and you would think he would get them in the TT, but you never know...

He certainly powered up that climb to limit the time lost for sure.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Missed the first week or so, but I'm really pulling for Voeckler to win at this point. Dude has been fighting back every attack and has been racing like a champ out there (though he really owes Evans quite a bit for saving him today).

What a monster effort from Cadel Evans on that final ascent too.

Any of the 3 heroes of today's stage would have to be considered very deserving Tour winners at this point.

Kafel

Banned
Those running scums next to the cyclists are annoying AND dangerous.

If only one had the idea to run next to Contador, dressed like a waiter with a steak in a plate ... It would be way more clever than showing us their asses.

Going to be a great day of cycling. Short, but brutal stage. Can't believe they're on the attack already, but Contador has to do something. We'll see if he can survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom