• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us - Buy 2 Get 1 free game sale (October 11th-17th)

Edeuinu said:
Nope, we're basically putting $15 down for 3 copies of U2 mainly just to hold them. Then on Tuesday we're going in, and then just spitting the remaining $105 between the 3 of us.

That sounds good to me. I'll go in after work and preorder then. I may actually do the same thing you did and go in with some friends and get multiple copies of Uncharted 2.

Edeuinu

Yeah I mean I can prob find 3 $60 games but don't feel like dropping $120 right now. Plus by the time I get to play them all, they'll most likely drop or I can buy used.

Good luck!

robut said:
Can I pre-order games at a local Toys R Us? For example, U2, Brutal Legend and Fallout 3 goty and pick them up on Tuesday?

I'm not sure if they do preorders on all games but they do it on some. They typically have a section, usually at the register, where they have cards with upcoming games which serve as preorder cards. So assuming they have cards for each of those games, you can do it.

Marty Chinn said:
I'm not sure if they do preorders on all games but they do it on some. They typically have a section, usually at the register, where they have cards with upcoming games which serve as preorder cards. So assuming they have cards for each of those games, you can do it.

Cool, thanks. I'll hit them up on Sunday and see what I can do.

Firestorm

Concept17 said:
Nah. The demo didn't entertain me much gameplay wise. I don't doubt that it gets better later on in the game, but I like games that jump right into it, as DS seems to do. I prefer something a bit more challenging.
:mad:

Edeuinu said:
Yeah I mean I can prob find 3 $60 games but don't feel like dropping $120 right now. Plus by the time I get to play them all, they'll most likely drop or I can buy used.

Good luck!

I always am confused by people who think they have to find three $60 games to take advantage of these deals. You are always better off just finding three games you WANT even if it is one $60, one $30 and one $20. In my opinion, for example, Brutal Legend ($60), Fable: Game of the Year ($30), and Mass Effect ($20) is, for example, just about the best deal you could find if you don't own those three games. It doesn't matter if you are "only" getting a $20 game for free. Buying lesser games just because they cost more or because they are newer makes no sense.

EternalGamer said:
I always am confused by people who think they have to find three $60 games to take advantage of these deals. You are always better off just finding three games you WANT even if it is one $60, one $30 and one $20. In my opinion, for example, Brutal Legend ($60), Fable: Game of the Year ($30), and Mass Effect ($20) is, for example, just about the best deal you could find if you don't own those three games. It doesn't matter if you are "only" getting a $20 game for free. Buying lesser games just because they cost more or because they are newer makes no sense.

Well most people do it becuase its a great deal and the potential for another sale/markdown isnt likely for a long time. I remeber waiting almost two years for God of War 2 to get a $20 price. So if a game like Mass Effect is 20 and Uncharted2 is 60Uncharted most likely wont have as a good deal as that in a long time, while you can get Mass Effect at twenty anytime you want afterwords. Of course if you WANT Mass Effect at twenty great but what if you want Uncharted a little too. Wouldn't it be better to take that one FIRST and get the cheap one later.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Ugh! I just came back from my local TRU, the same one that I usually go to every year for this sale to scope out what they had ahead of time and possibly pre-purchase 3 games so that I don't have to get up early on Sunday and they didn't have a damn thing! The only game they had that I was interested in was Infamous. I asked about Uncharted 2 and the rep told me there is a very good chance they won't be getting it next week. They don't carry Demon's Souls which I knew going in, but they also don't carry Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 either.

I'm very disappointed. In previous years I've managed to hold off on buying new releases and pillage TRU during this sale but it doesn't look like that's happening this year. I suppose it couldn't last forever.

I ended up taking advantage of the 20% off + $10 off + free shipping deal they have right now. I ordered Uncharted 2 + Infamous and Tekken 6 + Ratchet & Clank: ACIT so all was not lost. I'm buying Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Demon's Souls somewhere else this weekend though. Fun times ahead!

EternalGamer said:

Because the deal gets you essentially up to a third off of each of the games you buy and that's only if you get games of the same price. The deal gets worse if you don't maximize your discounts.

If you buy a $60 game and a $30 game and get a $20 game, why even bother with the deal since you can get things cheaper elsewhere? In that scenario, you are only getting about 18% off each game, so you essentially paid $49, $24.50, and $16 for each of the games. Then you have to pay tax on that.

That alone pretty much makes it more expensive than Amazon's every day price plus you're forced to buy three games. That's why if you're going to use the deal, it's best to maximize it otherwise there is very little point to it.

Zoink

You USAnians are so lucky. This is our equivalent in the UK:

8610018228587200.jpg

RBH

Some clarification on Demon's Souls from a TRU employee:

sren9 said:
Demon's Soul is not considered an A,B, or C title. It is a D. What this means is only the top 100 stores in the company(bassed on software sales) may carry it. Also there is no gift card offer with Uncharted 2. Lastly, if the store has any of the old wii points cards, xbox live cards, or xbox subscription bundles they will work with the B2G1 on accessories. They are considered inventory so they will work.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6380960&postcount=891

Also, here's the ad scan from prim4444 on CAG:

img002.jpg

RBH

Crisis said:
If I use the "buy one, get one 50% off" thing in this thread to order two games that ship on different days would I have to wait until the second game shipped to get both games?
From what I've read, they don't ship together.

BSsBrolly

Banned
My plan, buy Uncharted 2 and 2 random full priced games. Then I'll take the 2 random games and return them to walmart. Boom, Uncharted 2 for free.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
BSsBrolly said:
My plan, buy Uncharted 2 and 2 random full priced games. Then I'll take the 2 random games and return them to walmart. Boom, Uncharted 2 for free.
Woo! Fraud made fun and easy!

olimpia84

BSsBrolly said:

You're my hero. Can I get your autograph?

Dartastic

BSsBrolly said:

What state do you live in? Walmarts near me have the worst return policies... I was just going to get a random game and try returning it for Demon's Souls.

RBH

BSsBrolly said:
Cool story bro.

Might have considered Forza 3 and Brutal Legend and something else but the former is beyond the deal window. But then on most individual game nowadays there tend to be deals to work with via Amazon, Newegg, etc. Having done these sales before I know I'd rather spend maybe $90 after discounts on two I really want than $120 just to say I got a third for "free" that I didn't really want anyway.

RBH

IronFistedChampion said:
What about games that came out before the sale started (i.e. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2), will those count as well?
Of course. The sale is for ALL released games, provided they're in-stock.

BSsBrolly said:

Brilliant plan. You must have the cunning and guile of a master criminal. Any openings for henchmen in your organization?

IronFistedChampion said:
What about games that came out before the sale started (i.e. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2), will those count as well?

Yep. One year I chose to do 3 games that had recently price dropped to $30 each.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Edeuinu said:

Good luck!

That is where I am at. It's a great deal, but it's 120 bucks and not sure I will actually play the 3 games at once. I am already playing the hell out of Live and Madden. I have Forza pre-ordered and the Uncharted 2 hype is getting to me.

Drek

I'm up for an Uncharted 2, Brutal Legends, Demon Souls purchase, assuming I can get Best Buy to price match.

Dartastic said:
What state do you live in? Walmarts near me have the worst return policies... I was just going to get a random game and try returning it for Demon's Souls.
I've done this before since Toys R Us and Walmart are literally next door to each other in my town. It really depends on your luck of the draw in regards to who you get at the return desk. If you're denied, come back some other time, and if there's someone else manning the desk, try again. I believe the official Walmart rules are that you can only return 3 unopened items without receipt in a year (They write down your ID#). I remember using this to get Final Fantasy VI Advance and Bully.

This year, I think I'll pick up Layton 2, Kingdom Hearts DS, and Mario & Luigi. No return shenanigans this time.

Hopefully I can get Uncharted 2 and 2 copies of Brutal Legend, one for PS3 and 360. Then I'll sell the 360 version and buy Demon's Souls.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm not getting the discount.
I've got LBP GotY Edition, Katamari Forever, and Spyborgs in my cart, but nothing.

:(

Top Bottom