• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us - Buy 2 Get 1 free game sale (October 11th-17th)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I picked up NHL 10, NBA Live 10, and Mario Kart Wii (for my daughter's b-day). Good deal! Thanks, again for the heads up.

njr

So far I bought:

Uncharted 2
Resident Evil 5
Bioshock 2
L4D2

I'm just gonna count L4D2 as the "free" game since I am essentially getting 4 games for the price of 3. Best way I could justify the purchase. :D

Mejilan said:
I'm not trying to "game" the system. The deal is SUPPOSED to exclude preorders.

On a whim, I tried swapping out Spyborgs for Magna Carta 2 (which is only up for preorder at the moment). It should have caused the deal to fail, resulting in full price for all three items. Instead, the system accepted Magna Carta 2, and gave me the now cheapest Katamari for free.

Since I got that to work, I figured I'd post about, and that's when everyone else started experimenting with preorders.

Oh okay. I never can tell when gaffers aren't trying to exploit these special deals. I remember seeing someone talking about making and canceling five different pre-orders just to get 40 bucks off a 60-dollar game by using dozens of different little policy loopholes.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I can't really think of 3 games at the moment. :/ Guess I'll hold off for now.
I'm gunning for Batman AA, Bayonetta & Bioshock 2. Just try an tell me you don't want any of those. If you already have Batman AA switch out for something else, maybe Brutal Legend?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The Blue Jihad said:
Oh okay. I never can tell when gaffers aren't trying to exploit these special deals. I remember seeing someone talking about making and canceling five different pre-orders just to get 40 bucks off a 60-dollar game by using dozens of different little policy loopholes.

I think you're thinking of Constanza, and the dick-moves he admitted to pulling off in one of the Amazon/ECA discount code threads. This is pretty much nothing like that. Hell, for what it's worth, the two preorders I snuck into my orders both release this week anyway, during this promotion. All I'm doing is ordering them a bit earlier, before everything else I want sells out!

Mejilan said:
I'm not trying to "game" the system. The deal is SUPPOSED to exclude preorders.
On a whim, I tried swapping out Spyborgs for Magna Carta 2 (which is only up for preorder at the moment). It should have caused the deal to fail, resulting in full price for all three items. Instead, the system accepted Magna Carta 2, and gave me the now cheapest Katamari for free.

Since I got that to work, I figured I'd post about, and that's when everyone else started experimenting with preorders. I personally put in two different sets of orders, each with one preorder in the mix. Both orders went through without a hitch.

It's not really "gaming" the system because I'm not ripping TRU off. I'm still buying 2 games at full price and getting the 3rd game free, I'm just using games that really aren't supposed to apply. But the monetary value of my order isn't really changing. Hell, if anything, because I got Magna Carta 2 to work in the three-way pairing, they got $10 more from me than they would have had the preorder caused the deal to fail, and had I stuck it out with Spyborgs! *shrugs*

If I can get this to work with Tekken 6 instead of Halo ODST I would be eternally grateful.

Right now I have

Operation Flashpoint
Brutal Legend
Halo ODST
GTA Episodes

for $161.95. Using the promotional code, that's $146.95 with free shipping, for 4 games that would generally cost me $220.

Plywood said:
I'm gunning for Batman AA, Bayonetta & Bioshock 2. Just try an tell me you don't want any of those. If you already have Batman AA switch out for something else, maybe Brutal Legend?

Already have Batman, Bioshock is so far off I'm assuming there will be a deal near it's release even if I wait. The rest I want are sequels of the original I haven't gotten yet like uncharted and the such. I'm still going through the pages but nothing jumps out yet. Any DS Games someone recommends? Only thing I've gotten for that lately was the new mario and luigi game.

MoogPaul

It seems the "931081" promotional code for 15 off of 150 works when the order should total over 150. So three games, with one of them free, comes out to 120ish, you can still use that code.

I got Batman, Uncharted 2 and Magna Carta 2. I'll prob hit this up again when I get paid on Monday.

MoogPaul

MikeE21286 said:
uhh......

In the sense that 3 games should total over 150 dollars but with the buy 2 get 1 free deal it only comes out to 120ish. You are still allowed to use the 15 off of 150 code even though the total is under 150 dollars.

Phoenix's Rage

Neo Member
Got Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend (360), and Bayonetta (360). No shipping cost. Total of $115.

Still interested in getting Little Big Planet: GOTY Edition, NBA 2K10,...and [undecided].

Ken Masters said:
I really feel like Toys R Us is going to hold out on releasing Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend next week

They've got them both listed on their website with a 13th ship date so if the store pulled a dick move then just order them online on Tuesday.

MoogPaul said:
In the sense that 3 games should total over 150 dollars but with the buy 2 get 1 free deal it only comes out to 120ish. You are still allowed to use the 15 off of 150 code even though the total is under 150 dollars.

in my experience when you used the $15 off $150 code when purchasing 3 games for $120, what the system would do is add $5 to your free game, thus only giving you $10 off anyways, which you could receive buy just using the $10 off $75 code.

Shurs

Spooks said:
So if I order Uncharted 2 online today what are the chances of me getting it on the 13th?

I'd say they lie somewhere between not likely and impossible. If they use USPS, it won'e move today or tomorrow, which is Columbus Day. UPS and FedEx will be operating as they normally do.

SOLDIER

Couple of questions.

1. Does Afrika work with the B2G1 sale? Is TRU confirmed to be carrying it?

2. Is there a way to place these orders online, then pick up the games at the nearest store? If not, how long does it usually take to ship the games?

3. Is there a way to use the $10 coupon in-store? Or is it online only?

Spooks said:
So if I order Uncharted 2 online today what are the chances of me getting it on the 13th?

It's my understanding that you can't order it today and get the deal, you have to wait until it releases on Tuesday and is therefore in stock.

storybook77 said:
It's my understanding that you can't order it today and get the deal, you have to wait until it releases on Tuesday and is therefore in stock.

No, you can preorder some and still get the deal. There has already been a list of ones that work.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
so those hoping for the Uncharted 2 + Brutal Legend combo must wait until the thirteenth.

THIS SUCKS!!

Kodiak said:
so those hoping for the Uncharted 2 + Brutal Legend combo must wait until the thirteenth.

THIS SUCKS!!

Those both work right now, as others have said. I ordered those and LBP and it worked fine. They just ship when they're released.

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Yeah, and it's probably gonna suck even more if the online store crashes in the middle of the night.

Kodiak said:

THIS SUCKS!!

STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION. Those both work right now, read the thread (it's on the previous page) about what preorder games work and which don't.

RBH

SOLDIER said:
Couple of questions.

1. Does Afrika work with the B2G1 sale? Is TRU confirmed to be carrying it?

2. Is there a way to place these orders online, then pick up the games at the nearest store? If not, how long does it usually take to ship the games?

3. Is there a way to use the $10 coupon in-store? Or is it online only?
1. It's not listed on their website. Best bet is to call your local TRU to see if it's available in-store.

2. No in-stock pickup is available. Shipping depends on which option you choose, but standard should take a little over a week.

3. Online only.

DaFish

This may or may not have been answered...

Does Ratchet and Clank Future Crack in Time work are a pre-order to add as one of the games?

RBH

DaFish said:
This may or may not have been answered...

Does Ratchet and Clank Future Crack in Time work are a pre-order to add as one of the games?
The list of pre-orders that work and don't work are listed in the OP.

SOLDIER

RBH said:
1. It's not listed on their website. Best bet is to call your local TRU to see if it's available in-store.

2. No in-stock pickup is available. Shipping depends on which option you choose, but standard should take a little over a week.

3. Online only.

Well damn, that's a problem. I need Afrika to be available, because I've been given the approval to review it (I'm reimbursed), and I need to include it with the B2G1 to justify getting three games for the price of one.

Demon's Souls is another option, but I haven't heard anyone managing to find it in a TRU store. I was hoping Afrika would be more mainstream.

Belfast

I'm really having a hard time with the 3rd game. Uncharted and Brutal Legends are a no-brainer, but I'd really rather not have to wait on a pre-order to be released, and I almost feel like I'm wasting money on an older game, because I'm not entirely sure I want them.

I've considered RE5, but I also kind of want to wait for the Alternate Version coming out next year.

bluehat9

I wonder if they'll actually put Uncharted 2 out on the shelves in-store this week. In the last couple of these sales, the two TRUs by me seem to just not restock anything (new or old games or accessories) until the next week. It's like whatever is out Sunday morning at the start is all that they are selling for the week. I remember going on a Friday and seeing a totally empty electronics section and then out of curiosity going in on Sunday and seeing all the games available again.

This may be considered somewhat shady by some, but if people are worried about not getting uncharted 2 in the mail fast enough or on launch day, there is somewhat of a fix.

Just buy Uncharted 2 through the b2g1 on TRU.com and then the day it comes out go and buy it at Best Buy or EB or wherever you can find it on launch day and keep your receipt. Then when you get your copy from TRU.com in the mail just return that copy to the store you bought your copy on launch day.

MikeE21286 said:
This may be considered somewhat shady by some, but if people are worried about not getting uncharted 2 in the mail fast enough or on launch day, there is somewhat of a fix.

Just buy Uncharted 2 through the b2g1 on TRU.com and then the day it comes out go and buy it at Best Buy or EB or wherever you can find it on launch day and keep your receipt. Then when you get your copy from TRU.com in the mail just return that copy to the store you bought your copy on launch day.

I really like this idea.

Morts

bluehat9 said:
I wonder if they'll actually put Uncharted 2 out on the shelves in-store this week. In the last couple of these sales, the two TRUs by me seem to just not restock anything (new or old games or accessories) until the next week. It's like whatever is out Sunday morning at the start is all that they are selling for the week. I remember going on a Friday and seeing a totally empty electronics section and then out of curiosity going in on Sunday and seeing all the games available again.

I didn't see Uncharted 2 in the Sunday ad this today, so I'm suddenly rather fearful about this.

Shurs

MikeE21286 said:

Is there any possible way for this plan to backfire?

Shurs said:
Is there any possible way for this plan to backfire?

I can't see how as the return policy for Best Buy is pretty solid and as long as there weren't any distinguishing stickers that are impossible to remove then no.

Shurs

MikeE21286 said:

11t30k7.jpg

I love you.

I guess not all games have free shipping? It's charging me for shipping...

The site is being really weird... It's charging me for shipping when I thought someone said it was free and if I use the $15 off code it goes from making the third game free to making it $5. Anyone know why it's not playing nice?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I guess not all games have free shipping? It's charging me for shipping...

The site is being really weird... It's charging me for shipping when I thought someone said it was free and if I use the $15 off code it goes from making the third game free to making it $5. Anyone know why it's not playing nice?

Is your order at least $150 or more?

If not then it will only give you the $10 discount and you might as well use the $10 off $75 code

Top Bottom