• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us cancelling all Amiibo orders, including LUCARIO (their exclusive)

This has been exploding in the Amiibo thread and seemed like it warranted its own. Last night a ton of us received the following email from Toys R Us:
Toys R Us said:
Dear ME:

Thank you for shopping at Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com.

Unfortunately, we were unable to fulfill your order number ########. As a result, your order has been cancelled.

Here is a summary of your cancelled order:

Item#: 20213890
Description: amiibo #11
Quantity/Price: 1 @ $13.99

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding. Thank you again and hurry back soon to see what's new at Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com!

Sincerely,

The Guest Service Team
Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com
The order above was for Lucario, I placed it on 11/20 which I believe was the day it went up on their site. Many other people have been posting that their orders for other Amiibos have also been canceled, both preorders and in-stock items. This morning Lucario went back up for a short time again; some people were able to place new orders though there are rumors that those will be canceled again. This Amiibo mess is really on a whole new level; at this point not even preorders for EXCLUSIVE figures are safe. I spent an hour with their "guest services team" at 3AM last night to try to get some answers; I plan to do the same today. Hopefully this thread gains some traction and we get some real responses. If this happened to you, let's commiserate.

UPDATE:
An idea on what to do if you got bit:
What I ended up doing, and this has been twice now, is going through a European Amazon to order the exclusives. I bought Rosalina and Lucario at Amazon.FR. It's a little more expensive, but maybe about $10 all-told (with shipping). Worth it for the piece of mind. You can even log in with your American account, shouldn't have any issues. Just remember to hit that little Chrome translate button if you get lost (you are using Chrome, right?!).

An update from Toys R Us:
On the phone with Guest Relations, here's what they told me:

A memo is coming from corporate; Toys R Us will be contacting all people directly who were affected by this with an explanation and a way to hopefully make it right.

There is "an issue with the manufacturer and the supply." Lucario is heavily backordered and they apparently took way too many preorders of it. Since they don't have a restock date on the item, they're blanket canceling orders. The rep expects it to take a month or so for another shipment (so mid-March), and he also said people will likely have to place another order if their order was canceled. Details on all of this should be in the personal email that is coming from corporate, all of the reps have info on this "memo" on their desks as they've been fielding dozens of calls about the cancellations.

They're scrambling and panicking, the agent I spoke to was clearly frazzled. So there you all go. I guess that's something... It's all probably not true but who knows.

More news as it develops.

Update 2, 12/21:
An update from Toys R Us:

Toys R Us said:
Dear NAME,

We are reaching out today regarding the recent cancellation that has occurred with your online order(s). Unfortunately, there was a processing error that caused your order(s) to cancel. Legally, we cannot reinstate your order(s) however we are working to put a process in place that will allow you to purchase these items within the week. We will be reaching out to you as soon as we have specifics and appreciate your patience and understanding.

We sincerely apologize for this cancellation and the inconvenience it has caused and will be in touch shortly.

Sincerely,
The Customer Service Team

HOPEFULLY FINAL EDIT, 12/24/14:
Toys R Us has made good, please check your email. In fact, my new order is $5 cheaper than my previous order, and they're giving [presumably] PayPal people the opportunity to purchase a ton more Amiibos than they originally did. I only rebought Lucario but I'm sure others won't be so... restrained.

Toys R Us said:
Dear NAME,

As a follow up to the email we sent you a few days ago, we are reaching out regarding your recent amiibo presell order cancellation and to provide you with information on how to repurchase.

As you may already know, amiibo product is in high demand. To make sure that we give you the first opportunity to purchase these items prior to our returning them to our general online inventory for others to buy, we are providing you with links to each item’s product page. For technical reasons, these product pages will show the retail price of the item as being $999.99, but we will provide you with an online only, one-time use code that, when entered, will adjust the price back to the regular retail price. In addition, while we initially offered the amiibo items at $13.99, we’re happy to extend to you a discounted price of $10.99 because of the inconvenience

To redeem the code, please follow these simple instructions:

1. Click on the link(s) below to the view the amiibo items you wish to repurchase and add the item(s) to you cart
* Please note, to ensure that everyone has an opportunity to repurchase their items, we have limited the quantity you may purchase for each item. Quantity limits are listed below by each link.
2. Proceed to checkout once you have the item(s) you wish to repurchase in your cart
3. Apply the promotion code in the promotional code field during your checkout process and select ‘apply’
4. The discount will be applied to your order and you can proceed to the payment screens

Some important things to note: This promotional code can only be used for one order and it is only valid towards the amiibo items listed below. This offer expires Monday, December 29, 2014 at 11:59 pm EST, at which time the items will be made available to the general public pending availability. These items are still considered presell items and will not ship until the manufacturer's street date.

Please use this code: REMOVED

These Amiibo items will only be accessible at Toysrus.com through the links below.

LINKS REMOVED

Bowser amiibo– Purchase Limit: 2

Captain Falcon amiibo– Purchase Limit: 1

Lucario amiibo– Purchase Limit: 2

Mega Man amiibo– Purchase Limit: 2

Pit amiibo– Purchase Limit: 1

Sheik amiibo– Purchase Limit: 2

Sonic amiibo– Purchase Limit: 1

Toon Link amibbo – Purchase Limit: 2

King Dedede amiibo– Purchase Limit: 1
* Note: A separate communication will be sent within the next day to those customers who purchased this item with additional information

Ike amiibo– Purchase Limit: 1
* Note: A separate communication will be sent in January to those customers who purchased this item with additional information

If you have any questions regarding your order please contact our Customer Service team at 1-800-869-7787.

Once again, we sincerely apologize for the cancellation of your presell order and the inconvenience it has caused. We are doing our best to make this right for our customers and appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
The Customer Service Team

mindtwang

Neo Member
Toys R Us cancelled my Lucario amiibo but what upset me even more was that Target also cancelled Pit, Diddy Kong, Little Mac & Captain Falcon.

Pre-ordering is useless! What a mess!

I ordered the Wii Fit Trainer and Villager about two or three weeks ago. WFT fulfilled no problem but the Villager was delayed. I was actually genuinely shocked the Villager got fulfilled at all and got it last night.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nintendo really needs to kill the limited quantities bullshit, and release a fuckton of these things so it puts an end to the insanity. Only then will the people that actually want them, get them without having to compete with scalping pricks.

TRU cancelled my pit. Luckily got a Falcon and Lucario pre order out of it though. New rumor is all orders will be cancelled AGAIN according to someone's post after speaking to customer service.

Hugstable

Banned
Not just at Toysrus, but this whole Amiibo thing has been a mess. I think I read that even Best Buy had been canceling a few orders. This whole thing is just being handled horribly and I gave up on it, I feel it's gonna be impossible to even just go for my favorites at thia point.

Nintendo really needs to kill the limited quantities bullshit, and release a fuckton of these things so it puts an end to the insanity. Only then will the people that actually want them, get them without having to compete with scalping pricks.

Yeah its dumb to see companies still going this route, just like Sony did with the 20th Anniversary PS4, all it does is supply scalpers

I get canceling orders, but killing exclusive preorders doesn't make any sense to me. There is no where else to get it, what are we supposed to do? What's the point of preordering an item for that preorder to get canceled? They're the only ones getting this figurine, they need to know the stock and they need to be able to take the right amount of orders. To blanket cancel all of them makes no sense. Guest Services told me they didn't have a confirmed release date for the figure any more so they had to cancel all the orders; it's clear they were reaching and had no actual information. It's just so shady.

jonno394

Yeah its dumb to see companies still going this route, just like Sony did with the 20th Anniversary PS4, all it does is supply scalpers

It's not dumb, it guarantees a sell out for Nintendo. We can only hypothesise as to what effect having abundant supplies of all characters would have, but what we know for sure is that people are panic buying, scalpers are jumping in on the act and thus Nintendo are selling out all they are producing, which I'm sure they're more than happy with.

edit -as a business model this is great for Nintendo. As a consumer it sucks but then I doubt Nintendo will care (until the bubble bursts)

So how long before amiibo fans rush to the stores and buy two or three copies of each toy?

Nintendo laughing and skipping to the bank.

It's not dumb, it guarantees a sell out for Nintendo. We can only hypothesise as to what effect having abundant supplies of all characters would have, but what we know for sure is that people are panic buying, scalpers are jumping in on the act and thus Nintendo are selling out all they are producing, which I'm sure they're more than happy with.

I really doubt that preorders of a exclusive being cancelled is a planned at all.

So how long before amiibo fans rush to the stores and buy two or three copies of each toy?

Implying that the fan is going to find anything more than Mario, Pikachu and Link.

This is all pretty funny to me actually. I know in a years time, most of, if not all these figures will likely be pretty easy to get for reasonable prices.

I think it'd be better for them if they had stock to fulfill demand? Unless they're the ones selling them on eBay for 3 to 10 times the cost.
Though I wouldn't put it past them. Haha. I think NOA hates its fans.

LAA

I'm just glad UK isnt getting retailer exclusive amiibos...as of yet at least. Seems Shulk is everywhere, which I'm happy about as hes definitely an amiibo I want.
If this has happened because of scalpers, hopefully they won't be able to buy them out as fast I guess this time, just unfortunate real customers were involved too.

Mknzy

I reserved a Lucario in store last night, still no cancelation email or anything like that...here is hoping that I won't get one.

jonno394

And I bet you that retailers are not exactly happy to not be even able to sell you the product.

Well I assume they already have sold the product, just in numbers of whatever limited amount they received.....(all via pre-orders) so you know, they've already made their money

emb

I think it'd be better for them if they had stock to fulfill demand? Unless they're the ones selling them on eBay for 3 to 10 times the cost.
Though I wouldn't put it past them. Haha. I think NOA hates its fans.
Long term yeah, it would be better to have stock for everyone that wants to buy them. Given the demand, it might also have been better to price them a dollar higher or something.

But the discontinuation of the initial three, that whole fiasco, probably helped Nintendo a lot actually. Legitimate consumers know that the chance to get a given amiibo can end with no warning whatsoever; they know if they want an amiibo that's not Mario, they need to buy as soon as they see it. Then you have the people wanted to make a quick buck on it too, making sure the stock evaporates that much more quickly.

bumpkin

WTF! Mine is cancelled too. :(

EDIT: And the motherfuckers didn't even give me back the $5 Rewards credit I used towards it!

Long term yeah, it would be better to have stock for everyone that wants to buy them.

But the discontinuation of the initial three, that whole fiasco, probably helped Nintendo a lot actually. Legitimate consumers know that the chance to get a given amiibo can end with no warning whatsoever; they know if they want an amiibo that's not Mario, they need to buy as soon as they see it. Then you have the people wanted to make a quick buck on it too, making sure the stock evaporates that much more quickly.

Stop with that.

You can't even pre order without even knowing if is not going to be cancelled.

How do you know? Do you have a crystal ball?

Just a hunch. It's pretty clear these figures are much more popular than Nintendo was anticipating, even the characters they thought wouldn't be at all. Nintendo's bottom line is super important to them right now, and if there is an opportunity to make more of these figures and improve that, I don't think they are really in a position where turning their noses up at that is a good idea at all. Amiibo will become plentiful in the not too distant future, just you wait and see.

emb

Stop with that.

You can't even pre order without even knowing if is not going to be cancelled.
True. I don't understand why Nintendo or Toys R Us is having this much trouble handling pre orders. They still have a few months to get more product as needed, and if they do have a hard limit, I see no reason they would have accepted too many pre orders in the first place. The situation here is dumb and confusing.

What I ended up doing, and this has been twice now, is going through a European Amazon to order the exclusives. I bought Rosalina and Lucario at Amazon.FR. It's a little more expensive, but maybe about $10 all-told (with shipping). Worth it for the piece of mind. You can even log in with your American account, shouldn't have any issues. Just remember to hit that little Chrome translate button if you get lost (you are using Chrome, right?!).

The Lamp

Is ToysRUs in bad financial trouble or something? Or do we just have no idea why this happened? Will Lucario be offered elsewhere or we don't know yet?

If Amiibo are too stressful to shop for, just stop caring about plastic figurines that don't do anything meaningful for your game.

jonno394

Nintendo really seems to have something against money lately.

Nintendo are making money. I don't get this "Nintendo hates money". Part of the reason they are selling so well is because of the limited quantities. There is no guarantee that if the figures were all readily available that the current demand/thirst people have for them would still exist. The fact that people know they are now limited and will go OOP is driving the craze that we currently are witnessing.

Having larger print runs would cost money, getting returned stock from retailers when new waves come out would cost money. As it stands Nintendo are selling out pretty much everything they make due to the fact everything is rare as hell.

So let me get this right. They cancelled all of the pre-orders last night only to re-list many of the amiibo's on their site this morning?

Yeah, but is the packaging in English?

helium121

Banned
The people saying this is great for Nintendo's business couldn't be more wrong. I bought 5 of the first wave with intentions of buying all Amiibos going forward. As I realized I wasn't going ot be able to complete a full set I gave up on them.

Money that I had set aside to buy other Amiibos went to buying PS4 games during BestBuy's Buy 2 get 1. That is money that Nintendo will never get from me.

They simply weren't ready and it's the right thing to call them out but we shouldn't expect 50+ amiibos in every store because the space is limited.

Top Bottom