• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us cancelling all Amiibo orders, including LUCARIO (their exclusive)

ChrisD

Couldn't remember why he was so popular haha. Forgot all about the movie. That is probably one of the key reasons. :p

Sorcerer

They won't have mainstream popularity at this rate but I guess that's the goal. What else can Nintendo do given the size of the Wii U's install base?

The reason why anyone is talking about Amiibos is because there are figures that are hard to find. Nintendo doesn't have an Infinity/Skylander game that would draw people into buying these things.

Besides they are already considering ideas for cheaper version of Amiibos (cards having the same function) for people who miss out on these figures. So keeping them limited for the niche hardcore/collector's market may be the best course of action.

I have a funny feeling Nintendo is going to screw with us when it comes to the cards and the mini-amibo's.

They will package them in packs and bags and what you get will be completely random.

Belive!!!

Nintendo never makes things easy for their fans.

He's a character in Smash Bros, therefore, amiibo.

If you're asking why he's in Smash Bros, he was put in Brawl (and carried over to 4) as he was one of the most popular Pokemon at the time, coming hot off the heels of Diamond and Pearl just a year earlier.

He was pretty much made just to be in Smash. That's why they put him the movie to make him popular.

Videoneon

It's not possible to view this as anything other than a complete mess. Retailer exclusives, underproduction, poor communication. G freaking G's

An update from Toys R Us:

Toys R Us said:
Dear NAME,

We are reaching out today regarding the recent cancellation that has occurred with your online order(s). Unfortunately, there was a processing error that caused your order(s) to cancel. Legally, we cannot reinstate your order(s) however we are working to put a process in place that will allow you to purchase these items within the week. We will be reaching out to you as soon as we have specifics and appreciate your patience and understanding.

We sincerely apologize for this cancellation and the inconvenience it has caused and will be in touch shortly.

Sincerely,
The Customer Service Team
Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com

Lucario

I ordered a Lucario on one email address & the rest of my amiibos on another.

Got this email regarding the Lucario:

We are reaching out today regarding the recent cancellation that has occurred with your online order, #(numbers). Unfortunately, there was a processing error that caused your order to erroneously cancel. However, we want you to know that your order has been reinstated.

We thank you for your patience as we work to remedy this situation.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sincerely,

And the same email posted above for everything else.

Somnid

Just got the Toy 'R Us email too. So because I reordered I might get 2, if so I'll sell one back to any gaffers who want it.

Lucario

Early orders for Pit and Lucario are being reinstated automatically. Everything else is going to be covered in a follow-up email.

I'm guessing they only sent the email I posted for orders they have enough day 1 stock for, and everything else will arrive a bit late, but still get filled eventually.

I ordered a Lucario on one email address & the rest of my amiibos on another.

Got this email regarding the Lucario:

And the same email posted above for everything else.
Mine was only a Lucario, wonder why I couldn't have my order reinstated? Maybe because I used PayPal?

Deft Beck

I predict that the figures will always be annoying to get while the cards that Miyamoto mentioned will be available in greater quantities.

Lernaean

Banned
Nintendo this, Nintendo that, Nintendo hates money. I just wonder how many more fuckups need to happen untill you NA brethren realize it's all about retailer underestimating the Nintendo product potential and constantly fuckin up. If you lived in Europe or Asia there wouldn't be any of these problems.
Additionaly i went to pick up my wave 2 preorder yesterday from the local shop. They had restocked both waves, with many pieces of all Amiibos, Fox, WFT, Villager, you name it. There is no shortage, NA retailers are thicker than two planks of wood.

sd28821

Nintendo this, Nintendo that, Nintendo hates money. I just wonder how many more fuckups need to happen untill you NA brethren realize it's all about retailer underestimating the Nintendo product potential and constantly fuckin up. If you lived in Europe or Asia there wouldn't be any of these problems.
Additionaly i went to pick up my wave 2 preorder yesterday from the local shop. They had restocked both waves, with many pieces of all Amiibos, Fox, WFT, Villager, you name it. There is no shortage, NA retailers are thicker than two planks of wood.

nope i this case its both Nintendo and retailers that are at fault.

Lernaean

Banned
nope i this case its both Nintendo and retailers that are at fault.

Ok, let's pretend that i agree. Please elaborate, how come every retailer outside of NA doesn't sell out before they even release, and even when they sell out, they restock immediately, even those that your retailers are fast and eager to declare discontinued?

MicH

No shortage? Amazon UK flat out cancelled my Little Mac pre-order because they apparently "wouldn't get mote" literally the day he released. Look at the ridiculous prices he's going for now. And just because restocks do happen doesn't mean that there are no shortage issues. Kirby was impossible to find in Europe for the first few weeks

Lernaean

Banned
No shortage? Amazon UK flat out cancelled my Little Mac pre-order because they apparently "wouldn't get mote" literally the day he released. Look at the ridiculous prices he's going for now. And just because restocks do happen doesn't mean that there are no shortage issues. Kirby was impossible to find in Europe for the first few weeks

I'm sorry for your preorder, but as i said yesterday i saw them all in store, and i mean a dozen Macs an Kirbys. The figures are there, if retailers haven't ordered enough to meet demand, i'm sorry but it's their fault.
But whatever happens, the whole issue will be settled during the next two waves as retailers might actually manage to predict demand and do better, at the other hand, NA retailers flat out announcing that certain figures are discontinued as an excuse because they didn't order enough to meet demand is not only ridiculous, it's also unprofessional.

sd28821

Ok, let's pretend that i agree. Please elaborate, how come every retailer outside of NA doesn't sell out before they even release, and even when they sell out, they restock immediately, even those that your retailers are fast and eager to declare discontinued?

communication would be the big one since people don't know when a figure may be discontinued,restocked etc. every thing else is rather minor in my eyes.

Lernaean

Banned
communication would be the big one since people don't know when a figure may be discontinued,restocked etc. every thing else is rather minor in my eyes.

Communication by whom? By Nintendo? Because i could swear i read about a NoA employee flat out saying that they are not discontinued, but people chose to believe the ridiculous claims of certain retailers.
And i'm sorry, but Nintendo has so obligation to be on Twitter or Facebook on a daily basis informing about restocks. That's the retailer's job, and they actually have to inform you when you ask about it.

bumpkin

Just got the follow-up email too...

Dear xxxxxxxx,

We are reaching out today regarding the recent cancellation that has occurred with your online order, #xxxxxxxxxx. Unfortunately, there was a processing error that caused your order to erroneously cancel. However, we want you to know that your order has been reinstated.

We thank you for your patience as we work to remedy this situation.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sincerely,
I went on and placed an order on eBay after they posted there, so now I have two on the way? Guess we'll see. I'll help out a fellow GAF'er if I end up with a duplicate.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So does your state have different laws, or is the legal issue something they made up to cover the fact they don't have enough to reinstate everyone's orders?

Fox Mulder

NoA sucks but there's also been a US west coast dock strike this holiday. This has led to retailers having to cancel preorders.

I ordered lucario on TRU's eBay store and it says it's expected to ship today by 10AM. Fingers crossed.

So does your state have different laws, or is the legal issue something they made up to cover the fact they don't have enough to reinstate everyone's orders?
I called to ask why there were two separate emails going out, and why people were having their orders reinstated who ordered days after I did. Got no helpful explanation, went up the chain to supervisors too. At this point I just hope the follow-up email is sufficient, but the way this has been bungled I'm not hopeful. I have an Amazon.FR order and an eBay order (but only want one figurine) so worse comes to worse I have contingency. This whole thing has been frustrating, though. Now I know why I went most of my life not caring about dumb little tchotchkes.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I called to ask why there were two separate emails going out, and why people were having their orders reinstated who ordered days after I did. Got no helpful explanation, went up the chain to supervisors too. At this point I just hope the follow-up email is sufficient, but the way this has been bungled I'm not hopeful. I have an Amazon.FR order and an eBay order (but only want one figurine) so worse comes to worse I have contingency. This whole thing has been frustrating, though. Now I know why I went most of my life not caring about dumb little tchotchkes.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Pre-ordered right away, through card NOT Paypal, and still haven't received an email yet :/

I'll continue to update the thread with any details as I get them. You didn't get any email at all? I got one that said we can't reinstate your order for legal reasons (OK?) and I paid with PayPal.

ClearData

I'm not sure if this is related but two days ago I received an email that two of my preorders had been canceled for two PS4 games. A few days later they sent an apology email imploring me to resubmit my preorder and that it was a system glitch.

I found it coincidental that this occurred during this holiday and Amiibo madness. Anyone have a similar issue?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'll continue to update the thread with any details as I get them. You didn't get any email at all? I got one that said we can't reinstate your order for legal reasons (OK?) and I paid with PayPal.

No email at all yet :/ I guess I don't know where I even stand.

Toys R Us has made good, please check your email. In fact, my new order is $5 cheaper than my previous order, and they're giving [presumably] PayPal people the opportunity to purchase a ton more Amiibos than they originally did. I only rebought Lucario but I'm sure others won't be so... restrained.

Toys R Us said:
Dear NAME,

As a follow up to the email we sent you a few days ago, we are reaching out regarding your recent amiibo presell order cancellation and to provide you with information on how to repurchase.

As you may already know, amiibo product is in high demand. To make sure that we give you the first opportunity to purchase these items prior to our returning them to our general online inventory for others to buy, we are providing you with links to each item’s product page. For technical reasons, these product pages will show the retail price of the item as being $999.99, but we will provide you with an online only, one-time use code that, when entered, will adjust the price back to the regular retail price. In addition, while we initially offered the amiibo items at $13.99, we’re happy to extend to you a discounted price of $10.99 because of the inconvenience

To redeem the code, please follow these simple instructions:

1. Click on the link(s) below to the view the amiibo items you wish to repurchase and add the item(s) to you cart
* Please note, to ensure that everyone has an opportunity to repurchase their items, we have limited the quantity you may purchase for each item. Quantity limits are listed below by each link.
2. Proceed to checkout once you have the item(s) you wish to repurchase in your cart
3. Apply the promotion code in the promotional code field during your checkout process and select ‘apply’
4. The discount will be applied to your order and you can proceed to the payment screens

Some important things to note: This promotional code can only be used for one order and it is only valid towards the amiibo items listed below. This offer expires Monday, December 29, 2014 at 11:59 pm EST, at which time the items will be made available to the general public pending availability. These items are still considered presell items and will not ship until the manufacturer's street date.

Please use this code: REMOVED

These Amiibo items will only be accessible at Toysrus.com through the links below.

LINKS REMOVED

Bowser amiibo– Purchase Limit: 2

Captain Falcon amiibo– Purchase Limit: 1

Lucario amiibo– Purchase Limit: 2

Mega Man amiibo– Purchase Limit: 2

Pit amiibo– Purchase Limit: 1

Sheik amiibo– Purchase Limit: 2

Sonic amiibo– Purchase Limit: 1

Toon Link amibbo – Purchase Limit: 2

King Dedede amiibo– Purchase Limit: 1
* Note: A separate communication will be sent within the next day to those customers who purchased this item with additional information

Ike amiibo– Purchase Limit: 1
* Note: A separate communication will be sent in January to those customers who purchased this item with additional information

If you have any questions regarding your order please contact our Customer Service team at 1-800-869-7787.

Once again, we sincerely apologize for the cancellation of your presell order and the inconvenience it has caused. We are doing our best to make this right for our customers and appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, still no email for me :( I hope I will get one sometime this week, or else I'll have to contact them again.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I did a chat live yesterday and they said more emails were going out, but maybe they were just referring to these ones. Boo.

Top Bottom