• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us cancelling all Amiibo orders, including LUCARIO (their exclusive)

Davey Cakes

The Mega Man I re-preordered this morning has gone into processing. Maybe the order will actually hold for the February release date.

rjinaz

So glad I decided to skip the whole Amiibo thing. I was really excited when they were announced but this type of stuff is beyond ridiculous.

Agreed, I for one am done now wish I had never started. I'm just glad Shulk was early so I can bail out. I think I'll try to get my hands on a duck hunt dog if I can preorder from Amazon but that's it for me.

Popnbake

I'm a bit confused by the emotional responses here. First, scalpers purchased the inventory so Nintendo did sell that portion of their inventory. Whether or not the scalpers benefit seems irrelevant in the broader discussion of how this is impacting Nintendo. Note, I'm not talking about the customer. That's another issue.

Second, this isn't Nintendo's first rodeo trickling hot product into retailers. Back when Link's Adventure and Super Mario Bros. 2 were the hot christmas item, Nintendo strategically managed inventory so that they didn't oversupply. This resulted in customers driving to nearby cities and standing in line to get the software. Not only did this create excitement and brand awareness, it got Nintendo a lot of press. What's happening now? Nintendo gets an article in Wired and the USA Today. Seems to be working.

That works if Nintendo plans on relaunching those sold out Amiibos like Rosalina and WFT.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/1...d-in-limited-quantities-collectors-take-heed/

As store shelf space is limited, some amiibo will remain stocked on the shelves as staple choices while some will be limited-time offers which will cede their positions to new ones once they are sold out.

But there's a lot more Smash characters that have yet to be released and Iwata has given the impression that once one sells out, that's it for their availability to make room for the next wave.

Update from Amazon UK

Little Mac arrived literally minutes ago. Ordered 21 Nov, only one ordered from W2, rec'd em yesterday morning confirming it was sent.

Good luck to everyone.

Seik

Banned
Shit like that is really frustrating, it got me livid yesterday trying to find Luigi/Diddy in three freaking stores to be greeted with the same ''Sorry they all sold out this morning'' shit of an answer.

I know, I know, that's how toys work and shit. But holy crap, try to at least suffice for the LAUNCH DAY demand, IDK...

I'm kinda sad I fell for it because I'm getting more frustration than fun collecting these so far.

Vdragoon

you guys don't know anything... this is all to manufacture hype! and if you can't see it you're a console warrior/fanboy!

Sorcerer

Obviously Nintendo loves the attention from this and is doing this bullshit on purpose.

I think the same with the gamecube adapters.

Notice Iwata told everyone before amiboos were out get your ass to the store because some are limited.

Great Iwata, send scalpers to the stores and fuck your customers.

You don't fucking do that to your fanbase.

Even if you know stuff is limited run, shut your mouth unless of course an item is expressly limited edtion and is labeled as such.

On the phone with Guest Relations, here's what they told me:

A memo is coming from corporate; Toys R Us will be contacting all people directly who were affected by this with an explanation and a way to hopefully make it right.

There is "an issue with the manufacturer and the supply." Lucario is heavily backordered and they apparently took way too many preorders of it. Since they don't have a restock date on the item, they're blanket canceling orders. The rep expects it to take a month or so for another shipment (so mid-March), and he also said people will likely have to place another order if their order was canceled. Details on all of this should be in the personal email that is coming from corporate, all of the reps have info on this "memo" on their desks as they've been fielding dozens of calls about the cancellations.

They're scrambling and panicking, the agent I spoke to was clearly frazzled. So there you all go. I guess that's something... It's all probably not true but who knows.

Obviously Nintendo loves the attention from this and is doing this bullshit on purpose.

I think the same with the gamecube adapters.

I've been saying this for a while.

The sheer amount of crazy things happening with this isn't coincidental. This was all engineered.

Sorcerer

The popularity of these Amibos doesn't seem to correlate with the install base of the Wii-U.

Is this just scalpers hoarding?

Why do i have a feeling after January this stuff is going to be sitting on shelves collecting dust?

Give me a well done Zero Suit Samus and I'm out with these things.

The popularity of these Amibos doesn't seem to correlate with the install base of the Wii-U.

Why do i have a feeling after January this stuff is going to be sitting on shelves collecting dust?

Never underestimate the buying power of parents with children. It's Nintendo's key to success all these years.

TheGrue

People keep saying this, but you can want a figure even if you never intend to use it with WiiU (or in the future, 3DS). It makes for a pricey figure, but Nintendo fans (I include myself in this) aren't always the most rational people. I just like having little versions of my old friends hanging around (I do own a WiiU and 3DS.

thefit

Heads up Target just cancelled my Capt Falco pre order. They will be unable to ship. I have a feeling the same thing is going to happen with Rosalina.

The problem with these limited supply type things, in form of toys especially, is that employees at the store have access before anyone else and will buy them for themselves or inquiring friends and families. Certain characters may never even see the floor at certain locations. And managers are just as bad at hoarding these type of things or worse don't even care.

Preoders certainly help mitigate that, but I think Retailers are cancelling orders because they know how next to impossible it is to track these items and promise fulfillments. I am amazed they took preorders at all given this type of product has never had preorders. So now we go back to store employees being people's biggest obstacle.

I'd say this was the brain child of the guy who ran marketing for PizzaHut, seems about that level of stupidity.
Funny though hiw there doesn't seem to be this mad grab for them outside if the USA.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

A memo is coming from corporate; Toys R Us will be contacting all people directly who were affected by this with an explanation and a way to hopefully make it right.
Well I was gonna hit up the TRU near my workplace with the email printouts to see about getting something else for 40% off, but maybe I'll wait it out a bit. Going into TRU just before Christmas wasn't really appealing anyhow.

Peltz

Nintendo created an absolute monster with Amiibos. I honestly did not see any of this coming.

Could you imagine if they did this last gen with their much larger install base?

Just when you think they're in a sales malaise, they come up with another hit product. Based purely on their business practices, they really are a fascinating case study.

Monocle

Yep, my order for Ike was canceled last night. I really hope Gamestop honors my pre-order.

I'm just glad Toys R Us shipped my Little Mac when they did.

Sorcerer

Nintendo created an absolute monster with Amiibos. I honestly did not see any of this coming.

Could you imagine if they did this last gen with their much larger install base?

Just when you think they're in a sales malaise, they come up with another hit product. Based purely on their business practices, they really are a fascinating case study.

Let the dust settle first.

Releasing anything in the middle of a holiday is not a true reflection of its popularity.

Remember how hard Wii U's were to find that first X-mas?

I'm not saying Amiboo's don't have legs to stand on but it is too soon to tell.

Long term I wonder how well they will do. They seem more like a collector's item than an accessory to use with games. I imagine a lot of the purchasers don't even own a Wii U. So that could pose a problem when the novelty wears off and the function of them becomes more apparent to buyers and thusly less appealing.

So much for the "if you want one so much just pre-order it!" bullshit some people on GAF were spouting out when others were complaining about the limited availability of Amiibos and Gamecube Adapters.

Glad I don't care for Amiibos because this is garbage.

Popnbake

That's because their headlines have little
to do with the gaming system.

You aren't reading stories of stores having their entire Amiibo products selling out. Just the ones Nintendo restricted supply on.

MGrant

All I know is that if I am unable to secure the eventual Ness Amiibo, I will do unforgivable things. Already got burned on the Wii Fit Trainer one; never again.

Slermy

Bah, My Lucario was also canceled. He's the only one I ordered from Toys R Us.

My other wave 3 pre-orders at various other retailers seem to be holding for now.

Just updated the OP with new developments that have been posted throughout the thread, but figured I'd ask again. Has anyone who ordered Lucario through Toys R Us NOT had their order canceled? If it's still open, when did you order? I placed mine on 11/20, which I believe was the day the figurine went up.

Official Target Rosalina Statement:

http://www.amiiboinquirer.com/2014/12/19/targets-official-statement-on-rosalina/

If you didn't get one. It's over for now.

So this is awesome. Gamestops are getting their Pits in today but the employees are snatching them up and putting them on hold. Much like Target and TRU, these things are not even hitting the floor.
Well done, Nintendo. Well done.

They're not creating artificial shortages, you silly conspiracy theorists. The problem is the lack of shelf space.
lol

aagckoAl.jpg

Makonero

All I know is that if I am unable to secure the eventual Ness Amiibo, I will do unforgivable things. Already got burned on the Wii Fit Trainer one; never again.

Ness is the only one I want.

Unless they release Lucas.

GIVE ME LUCAS NINTENDO

Much as I would almost love that to kill the hype and so that I can just stroll into stores to get what I want, with about a handful more games coming with this functionality, I doubt it. After all, we're just in the Smash Bros Collection so far! :(

I feel for you guys who want specific amiibo and can't get them and it is too bad scalpers are making it difficult for people. That said I understand why Nintendo would make less than projected or actual demand. They may have been super conservative on purpose knowing they were making far less than what was needed or they may have legitimately underestimated. Either way I would say it is much better to have a product that people are having a hard time getting than making so many that you end up with tons of unsold stock in the bargain bin. That does not help the public perception of the desirability of your product. Amiibo hype is great for Nintendo. Better to have pent up demand that they can supply over time than 30 unsold Marths on the shelf of every store coming to the clearance aisle near you (this assumes that they haven't actually discontinued Marth or insert hard to find amiibo here). Nintendo has to be careful and not burn customers though. Hopefully now that they see that the thirst is real they will increase production so that everyone who wants a particular amiibo can get one from a store at msrp.

samn

This bullshit has made up my mind. I'm not buying any Amiibos. It's just too much hassle over bits of plastic.

bumpkin

There is "an issue with the manufacturer and the supply." Lucario is heavily backordered and they apparently took way too many preorders of it. Since they don't have a restock date on the item, they're blanket canceling orders. The rep expects it to take a month or so for another shipment (so mid-March), and he also said people will likely have to place another order if their order was canceled. Details on all of this should be in the personal email that is coming from corporate, all of the reps have info on this "memo" on their desks as they've been fielding dozens of calls about the cancellations.

They're scrambling and panicking, the agent I spoke to was clearly frazzled. So there you all go. I guess that's something... It's all probably not true but who knows.
Well, after I realized my online preorder was canned, I had my wife go to the actual TRU store in town and do an in-store preorder for Lucario. I wonder if they're giving shipment priority to in-store ones. I'd think they wouldn't have let her do the preorder if they weren't getting any or were out of their initial allotment.

jwhit28

These things have to be many more times successful than Nintendo planned for. Is it the same way in Japan? Have they talked about N3DS games getting Amiibos yet?

ghibli99

I bought a Yoshi at launch, but all of this shortage garbage has me not wanting to buy any more. Hopefully this gets sorted out next year.

Top Bottom