• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania Turbo |OT| It's Turbo Time!

antitrop

It wouldn't be a Trackmania game if everything was clear and normal as far as what version you need and how to buy it.

Ya, this is clearly my first Trackmania game, but I've been a long-time listener of the Giant Bombcast, so I've always known it was "made by crazy people". :p

Repo Man

Long-time Trackmania fan, but I'm skipping this one.

It's a shame, because Lagoon is a ton of fun and I'd love to see what I and my friends could come up with using it, but the game's been dumbed down so much. The editor controls on PC are pretty much straight ported from the console version, which are absolutely horrid. No real advanced options available (ghost blocks and such), no mediatracker, car customization is also terribly simplified, no horns, no custom dedicated servers.
The rooms and level sharing are great, but everything else sucks ass.

I get what you're saying to a degree, I was heavily into TM Sunrise and then United ( and the Forever update ). I used to spend a lot of time on dedicated community servers with their own custom soundtracks and some crazy as fuck tracks where people would just at times spin around and talk shit but I think times change and so does TM, especially now that its on consoles.

I haven't played the game yet as I missed the beta and PC release is tomorrow but the lack of media tracker is probably fully down to the console release, I used to have a quick go at the Gran Turismo games online on the PS3 and you couldn't use custom soundtracks on online mode and I'm guessing its because someone might be blasting Barbie Girl through their mic or maybe something with potentially offensive lyrics, thus bumping up the games age rating or leaving a back door open for a potential lawsuit thanks to said language or some copyright infringement BS. Don't know how things are nowadays on the PS4.

But in its core, even if I haven't played it yet and I've only seen videos and such, I think this is still shaping up to be a proper TM game in all of its arcadey crazyness and while I confess that some of the more advanced features of the older titles may have added that extra bit of flair to community servers and creations I think in the end its just that, a bit of extra flair which would be welcomed but not sorely missed. But hey like I said, I haven't played the game yet, I'll dive into it tomorrow morning and my opinion might change entirely. At the moment I'm going by what I've seen and it all looks like full on Trackmania to me.

legbone

oh yeah, i forgot i have my 15 from that promotion that was going on when the division launched. i may end up picking this up yet. woo hoo!

oh, i hate to hear that. that's a big negative in my book.

Mine too

I'm all for a game challenging its players and making them want to achieve gold, platinum, etc. medals. Replay value is great, and this genre is aided immensely by it.

However, not being able to beat the game unless you get all golds is fucking bullshit.

Should be going for green anyways.

We always are. Some people just aren't amazing at these types of games.

Mechazawa

Those are all sort of side mechanics though, no? The core trackmania here (the driving and the levels) are GREAT, and IMO that's what really matters. But suit yourself...

The heart and soul of Trackmania has always been the custom community levels. Nadeo's official stuff, in my experience, has always been pretty mundane and I've rarely, if ever, seen them come up in the servers for stuff like vanilla Stadium or T2. I imagine currently that's what Turbo's online is filled with.

We're not going to really see how bright Turbo shines until we see what kind of impact the lack of player hosted servers/limitations of the track editor has on the community's ability to build and properly curate really strong tracks. I'm personally much more worried about the curating aspect than the level building part.

gotta make a custom soundtrack for this, the music is okay, but restarting after every reset is awful.
Yeah I wish it would keep going as long as you're staying on the same track.

Also I think it's strange that you can't keep selecting Improve when you get a medal, instead you have to pick silver/gold medal ghosts. I would rather keep racing against myself to get better.

Hackbert

i have a weird problem. started the preloaded game and now it says i have to unlock it still? but the transaction of the buy is in my psn account avaiable.. any ideas? my gf downloaded the beta today again to play, cause she didnt know the deadline was over....

sneaky77

i have a weird problem. started the preloaded game and now it says i have to unlock it still? but the transaction of the buy is in my psn account avaiable.. any ideas? my gf downloaded the beta today again to play, cause she didnt know the deadline was over....

are you sure you didn't download the demo? If you hit unlock, does it tell you to pay again?

Hackbert

yes it does. but sony got the money and the game is online listed under transactions and in my library...
na the demo is labeled as beta in EU afaik

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
yes it does. but sony got the money and the game is online listed under transactions and in my library...
na the demo is labeled as beta in EU afaik

Same for me, I only have acces to the demo even if I bought the game and preloaded it.

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
mh okay so the error is on their side. hopefully it sorts itself out. my first digital preorder and now that... not happy at all

Yeah, it seems to be on their end. It's weird. On the list page of the psn store, the symbol of the bought stuff is on the item but it doesn't have the text, and on the details page it both says "bought" and "add to the cart"...

Fox Mulder

Dirt tracks with that buggy can fucking die in a fire... Shit is not fun. At all. All other three areas are amazing.

Use the dpad on dirt tracks. Far less twitchy.

I appreciate the varying handling styles, but wish the campaign let you just bang out stadium from white to black without having to hop between the others for example.

I get in a groove only to have to get in a new car when I finish a chunk of a series.

FDC1

Same for me in France. Preordered and preloaded the game, it seems it's just the demo and it asks me to buy the game again. Thanks SCEE.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Same for me, I only have acces to the demo even if I bought the game and preloaded it.

Same for me in France. Preordered and preloaded the game, it seems it's just the demo and it asks me to buy the game again. Thanks SCEE.
Same here, had it pre-ordered for 35EUR, but the game wants me to buy it again in-game for 39EUR.

Edit: The official forums have several topics on the pre-order / unlock problems: http://forums.ubi.com/forumdisplay.php/884-General-Discussion

Same here, I'm sure they'll sort it out soon.

I did come 30th in an online race playing remotely from my phone with touch screen controls though.

So are you meant to use analog or the d-pad? I don't want to learn this the wrong way and screw myself later.

EDIT: Also, on the main menu screen, what does that emblem represent in the top left corner, because it changes every so often.

EDIT 2: Also, I changed my "mascot" to something besides an 8-ball, but I still have an 8-ball on my ticker.

EDIT 3: is there a way to NOT have a ghost when replaying a level? So annoying.

RAWRferal

Dirt tracks with that buggy can fucking die in a fire... Shit is not fun. At all. All other three areas are amazing.

This.

But what a great game. Never played a Trackmania before and I'm having a whale of a time! Feel like there's so much to sink my teeth into as well, great package.

Fox Mulder

What the hell does "Use Joker (Bronze X2)" mean? Where is the instruction manual? Where is any of this explained?

you earn a joker by completing the required amount of the lower medals. If you can't earn gold, just get enough silvers on that track to progress with a joker gold medal.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Wait, does the intro change depending on the time of day? The first bit was dark (it's 10:30 pm) now

Repo Man

Bah, bit of a downer. It's the 24th but on the PC I still gotta wait till 5pm UK time untill the game unlocks meanwhile the console guys seem to be already playing. Ah well, got lots to do and play anyways while waiting.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
As someone that would place trackmania top 5 as far as franchises, this fits me like a glove. Going to work now with less than 3 hours of sleep, lol.

This is becoming unhealthy. I'm up again. I'm going to have to go on a TM blackout tomorrow.

whiteape

I have the same problem, game keeps saying i have the trial and when i press activate the full version i have to buy it again. Preordered last week.

Top Bottom