• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Holy fuck, what awesome news.

More studios should do this, just make the film and announce it after its done. FUCKING legit.

Until Star Wars TFA, Cloverfield was the only movie that had me anticipating it like no other. I would watch the trailer every single day. I would analyze the trailer and look for clues. I have no idea why I did that looking back now, the movie isn't that great and I haven't seen it since, but I find it crazy how JJ was behind both.

I feel like the marketing had more of that stuff in it than the actual film. There's not really much going on in the movie in terms of mystery - shit's just happening and the characters have to deal with it. That's not a bad thing by any means, but boy howdy it really felt like the film completely disappeared after its release. Maybe I've just been in the wrong places, but compared to say... I dunno, Blair Witch or some other cult open-ended movie, discussion pretty much died after it came out. There wasn't much to analyze - again, not a bad thing for a movie to do, but I definitely walked away feeling like there wasn't much payoff for all the initial sleight of hand.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm going to miss the handheld perspective though. That's what made the first movie work as well as it did, give it a sense of scale and intensity since you were there in the middle of it all, as this monster towers over you and everything is just destruction and chaos
You can do all of that without the ridiculous conceit of narcissistic special snowflakes running around with a camera believing their experience needs to be recorded for historical posterity.

Children of Men is a classic example of keeping the camera grounded and with the characters' POV in mind nearly the entire film. No need for found footage shaky cam.

Dingotech

What a surprise! I only just rewatched Cloverfield recently.

I'm thinking for sure the whole movie takes place down in the bunker, just building tension the whole time.

Rembrandt

Banned
Man, I didn't realize this many people liked Cloverfield.

Same. I remember it getting some hate around the internet for a while. I'm glad people see how good this movie is.

Abrams is having a good year.

how was Super 8?

It's a shame found footage got over saturated really quickly. Led to some interesting concepts and variations of old themes.

You can do all of that without the ridiculous conceit of narcissistic special snowflakes running around with a camera believing experience needs to be recorded for historical posterity.

...is your problem with the movie, or people who film a lot of stuff?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Same. I remember it getting some hate around the internet for a while. I'm glad people see how good this movie is.

Abrams is having a good year.

how was Super 8?
I really liked it, but I'm gonna admit, it's got a certain problem Star Wars TFA has but doubled that given it's kind of a homage.

Now I'm going back to Cloverfield Clues again.

I'm already lost.

it's one of those movies that makes you want to do detective work, thats why i appreciate it.

I like what someone said, it does look like their in a bunker so it could be that the world is infested by infected humans/parasites.

t hicks

Banned
I've already watched the trailer like 15 times.

And the fact that it's already done/coming out IN TWO MONTHS!!!

I'm way too hyped right now, here's hoping we get some good ARG stuff as well, loved that stuff for the 1st movie...

HYPE

ultrazilla

Cloverfield haters can suck my balls. One of the most awesome experiences I've had at the theaters. Day 1 for the sequel.

Haters gonna Hate.

CLOVERFIELD IS BACK BABY!!!

]
cA84QBY.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
...is your problem with the movie, or people who film a lot of stuff?
Both?

The only found footage movie I've ever liked was Europa Report because it had a sensible explanation for the footage existing. It didn't rely on people stupidly and constantly endangering themselves further by focusing on filming their life or death experiences. Makes complete sense for a huge space mission in the future to be littered with cameras recording everything.

Anyone who's trying to survive a giant monster attack and runs to get batteries and keeps stopping to do man on the street interviews with his friends to ask how they're coping with the deaths of other friends deserves to die themselves, way faster than this movie allowed. Put the fucking camera down!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
It's a shame found footage got over saturated really quickly. Led to some interesting concepts and variations of old themes.

It was too cheap to make them, so they got run into the ground quickly.

There was a good "use the nightvision camera mode to hide the shitty CGI" drinking game with found footage movies though.

Tansut

Holy shit! I fuckin' loved the first Cloverfield.

In this day and age of information being seemingly impossible to keep secret, I'm flabbergasted that an entire movie like this was made without anything leaking out.

So excited for this.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. How does an entire movie get made and no one finds out.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
They filmed it while filming Star Wars The Force Awakens. LMAO.

JJ is the master magician. Diversion. Interference. Slight of hand. Haha I love it!

Plot twist: JJ Abrams is actually Stanley Kubrick pulling one of the most dedicated art performances commenting on Hollywood of all time.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Both?

The only found footage movie I've ever liked was Europa Report because it had a sensible explanation for the footage existing. It didn't rely on people stupidly and constantly endangering themselves further by focusing on filming their life or death experiences. Makes complete sense for a huge space mission in the future to be littered with cameras recording everything.

Anyone who's trying to survive a giant monster attack and runs to get batteries and keeps stopping to do man on the street interviews with his friends to ask how they're coping with the deaths of other friends deserves to die themselves, way faster than this movie allowed. Put the fucking camera down!

That's merely your opinion, some might want their last moments chronicled.

Flipyap

That trailer is really good. I have high hopes for this, even though I liked the first movie a lot less than I was expecting to going into it. It's funny to think how terrified and intrigued I was by that original trailer, but going back to it, it really hasn't aged well in my opinion. The sounds in particular are so, so goofy, especially the way they're mixed.

Still, there was something powerful about the mystery and tone when this first happened, so I'm kinda curious to see if this movie is good. That trailer is great.
The monster sounds? I love them. It sounds sort of like a sad whale cry, which fits the idea that it's just a terrified deep sea creature, not some malicious nuclear demon dinosaur hellbent on destruction.
I never found the monster itself to be very scary, but it sure was a fascinating creature.

PR_rambo

Banned
OUTTA FUCKIN NOWHERE

CLOVERFIELD FANS REPRESENT

Releasing so close to BvS tho? Yikes...

YASSS, Cloverqueen SLAYYYYYY TUMBLR ETC

Wow I enjoyed the fuck out of the original, I'd given up on a sequel ever happening, yet there it is. And its out in two months, wow.

Kevin Garnett was right, anything is possible.

Now do the right thing, unveil the whale monster.

AND MAKE NEW MYSPACE PAGES FOR THE CHARACTERS!

How did this not leak

How

It's JJ Abrams.

If Quentin Tarantino tried this shit, he'd call a sequel Loving Nine or something, and immediately after writing the title someone would leak "Hateful Eight sequel in development" to everyone

JJ knows how to keep a secret

adj_noun

Ha! People are already posting again at the old Cloverfield unforum.

The madness never left. It just went dormant for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom