• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron |OT| Me Grimlock no bozo! Me KING!

Sadist

91cPr.png

General Information

Genre: Third Person shooter
Developers: High Moon Studios (360, PS3) Mercenary Technology (PC)
Publisher: Activision
Release: August 21st 2012 (US) and August 24th (EU)

Plot

This is it: the civil war is taking its toll on Cybertron, the homeworld of the Transformers. After the events of War of Cybertron the planet is dying and Optimus Prime takes drastic measures: he orders all Autobots to flee the planet. However, Megatron and the Decepticons will not allow their mortal enemies to escape. They unleash all their might on the fleeing Autobot forces including a new “combiner” technology. Optimus and his bots make one final stand… with Optimus calling upon one of the most powerful weapons in Autobot history.

Elsewhere, the Decepticon Shockwave always took the role as “caretaker” of the Transformer home planet; he’s searching for ways to save his world. He stumbled upon the ancient Spacebridge technology which can cross time and space. In his search for new worlds thanks to the Spacebridge, he finds energy to restore his world and new life forms. Deadly life forms. Intrigued by his new discovery, he starts experimenting on captured Cybertronians. Some of them are turned into “Insecticons”, but another beast caught his eye: reptiles from a small blue world. These reptile forms could work well on certain captives…

Gameplay and modes

Like its predecessor, Fall of Cybertron (FoC) is a third person shooter and at times a vehicle combat-like game. You will play Autobot and Decepticon missions. All the Autobots and Decepticons can easily switch between their robot and vehicle modes on the battlefield. It makes for interesting combat. This time around, the weapons the Transformers wield can be modified with upgrades for longer range, more firepower or better firing speed. Also new to FoC are unique character abilities. Autobot Jazz for instance uses a grappling hook to reach high places. There are more unique abilities to see and use, but you’ll find out about those when you play the game. Another big difference with its predecessor is that High Moon wanted to spice up the game with different gameplay. For the first time the Dinobots make their debut in a Transformers game. Fan favourite Grimlock doesn´t have a gun, but he can use a shield and sword. These parts of the game focus on melee combat and building up the rage meter. If it´s full, Grimlock transforms into his T-Rex mode and causes some real destruction. And last but not least; for the first time ever, players get to control a combiner. The Decepticon group called the Combaticons will merge into Bruticus; his objective? Destroy all Autobots.

As for the modes available, everyone who loved the co-op campaign will be disappointed because High Moon dropped that feature. Escalation mode (horde mode) returns and as for the multiplayer, there are far more customisation options available while creating your own Autobot or Decepticon. Now you can change the head, arms, torso, legs and wheels. You can still choose from four classes, but three of them have a different name now: Titans (soldiers), Infiltrators (scouts), Destroyers (leaders) and the Scientist.

Characters

While some characters make their return from War of Cybertron, Fall of Cybertron introduces new robots to play as. There are more characters set to appear during the game, but these are the ones confirmed by High Moon Studios:

Decepticons:

- Megatron: The maniacal and ruthless leader of the Decepticons. Free will is just a nuisance.
- Shockwave: Top Decepticon scientist. Cold, cunning and according to him logic is everything.
- Soundwave: Megatron’s most loyal soldier. Great communications expert.
- Starscream: Seeker commander. Wants to overthrow Megatron and become the Decepticon leader.
- Brawl: Loves to shoot at everything that moves. Member of the Combaticons.
- Swindle: Wants to make a profit out of everything. Wartime might be his best friend. Also a member of the Combaticons.
- Vortex: Despicable interrogator. Even fellow Decepticons hate his methods. Combaticon member.
- Bruticus: When the five Combaticons merge they form Bruticus, a machine of pure destruction. One of Megatron’s biggest weapons.

Autobots:

- Optimus Prime: Leader of the Autobots. A bit new to the job, but they trust him. Strong, capable and caring. “Freedom is the right of every sentient being.”
- Grimlock: Strong, pigheaded and proud; wants his revenge on Shockwave because he transformed him into a monster.
- Bumblebee: Young Autobot with a lot of potential; reliable and fantastic scout.
- Cliffjumper: Laughs in the face of danger. Will fight Decepticons no matter what, even with his bare fists.
- Jazz: One of Prime’s most trusted lieutenants. Keeps his cool during battle and overall a nice bot to hang with.
- Jetfire: More of a scientist than a fighter. He hates Megatron for what he’s done to their homeplanet.
- Perceptor: Top Autobot scientist. Nobody knows about one of his special abilities: he’s an excellent sniper.
- Metroplex: Ancient Cybertronian who hides in the streets of Iacon. Heeds the call of the last Prime.

Media

VGA Cinematic Reveal
E3 2012 trailer
Multiplayer trailer
Launchtrailer

Metroplex Interview
Grimlock Gameplay

s38FN.png

0ex0F.png

HZjIa.png

MQhCk.png

NauMB.png

nfmmF.png

Fsffl.png

IqNxU.png

Links

Official site
Transforming Grimlock: how High Moon saved the Dinobots <<< Awesome read!

Reviews

GameInformer - 9/10
Polygon - 8.5/10
IGN - 8.5
Official Xbox Magazine - 8.5
Gametrailers - 8.4/10
EGM NOW - 8/10
Gamespot - 7/10
Destructoid - 7/10
Gamesradar - 3.5/10
GiantBomb - 3/5

I absolutely loved the first and I will definitely get this one when the time comes. It is just a shame this pretty much releases in the same month as Darksiders 2 and Sleeping Dogs. The competition is fierce.

Zapages

can't wait to play it later today... Its downloading from steam. I wonder if they are going to make a sequel to this game and when are the reviews coming in for it?

Kydd BlaZe

Was wondering where the friggin OT for this was. Thought I was going to have to take matters into my own hands, lol. Better late than never though.

At any rate, I had an absolute blast with the demo. Can't wait for the reviews to start pouring in. I really hope this game does a lot better than War for Cybertron.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Onslaught is in this game surely?

Also is this a staggered release for PC, i still need finish Sleeping Dogs then im jumping on this.
Im hoping to be done by next weekend so then i can have a full weekend of nothing but Transformers goodness.

REV 09

The first was a surprise hit for me, and I keep going back to the demo. Interested in seeing some reviews for this and pc impressions before I buy though.

I hope this game doesn't bomb, especially considering all shit the developers went through with Hasbro to keep the Dinobots in. I'll be getting my copy later today!

Axiom

Really excited to pick this up tomorrow. I'm getting it on PS3 again because my Gold ran out and I really hope this time the online community lasts longer.

The last game was amazing and it's pretty much the only console multiplayer I've enjoyed this entire generation.

Black_Stride

Yes, all the Combaticons are. Indeed, he has a bunch of lines in the demo, and Bruticus is a playable character too (though I don't think Onslaught is, at least in campaign).

Demo?
What the shit theres a demo for this?...Please tell me its on Steam damn Sleeping Dogs has had me not caring about much lately im missing out apparently.

Does anyone know if PAL copies all have english voices?

No english for PAL sorry.

Nah im fucking with you, EU PAL will probably have all the main EU languages, coming from Activision i expect all the languages to be available.
UK PAL sometimes doesnt have all the voices but will have all the subtitles.
What language are you looking for?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If you want co-op healing bitch, I'm your guy

2+ weeks dedicated to this game, and only this game

Will be platinuming the ever living shit out if it

Galdelico

Nah im fucking with you, EU PAL will probably have all the main EU languages, coming from Activision i expect all the languages to be available.
I guess he's asking because non-UK PAL Battle for Cybertron didn't have original english voices... I had to play it in italian (it was decent, but I always prefer original dubs).

Black_Stride

I guess he's asking because non-UK PAL Battle for Cybertron didn't have original english voices... I had to play it in italian (it was decent, but I always prefer original dubs).

What seriously....EU-PAL didnt have english?
Thats shocking, thats probably the first game ive ever heard of this happening actually its kinda scary cuz sometimes i buy EU-PAL cuz they are cheaper.....how did Activision let this happen?

Tizoc

Any chance war for cybertron is gonna be on PSN? Can't find a disc copy in any of the shops I go to =/

ElRenoRaven

Oh crap it's out tomorrow. Shit this snuck up on me. Sadly I will have to wait. It's birthday season for the family. That's the problem when most of your family have Sept, Oct, Nov, and Dec birthdays.

Can't wait to see what everyone thinks though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Slag is true king. He's like the Starscream of Dinobots but actually awesome.

In order of coolness, Soundwave > Slag > Jazz > CliffJumper > Predaking(not in the game) > Grimlock > Ratchet > some other bullshit

Zapages

Steam version will unlock today.

already unlocked since last night and I was playing a few minutes ago. :)

Its story seems like retelling of the Transformers 1 as they are leaving for earth. I did not ready any of the story to avoid spoilers. ^_^ :)

bumpkin

Snarl is true king
Fixed and accompanied with a picture of his awesomeness.

transformers-fall-of-cybertron-snarl__scaled_600.jpg

No, really. Stegosaurus is the best dinosaur form. It was such a buzz-kill hearing that supposedly you can only play as the other dinobots in multiplayer; Grimlock is the only one you play as in the campaign.

monome

No english for PAL sorry.

I'm french, though I only play games with english voices.
I think War PAL copies had tracks for the 5 big european languages, but COD has only one track specific to the country it releases in...
I've browsed to see if any french gaming site said the game had the english track, but so far found nothing probably due to reviews embargos.

I'm hopefull, yet would like to see a confirmation.

hot damn, I thought War was MULTI5...fuck!

Spiderduff

Thanks for that article. Awesome read! Im at work, any reviews out yet? Looking to pick this up on the way home today.

desertdroog

I really wish there would be more Dinobots in this game, but I relish any G1 Transformers action I can get my hands on.

ttocs

I have this coming sometime tomorrow through Gamefly. Really looking forward to playing it after seeing that epic release day trailer.

Bog

Junior Ace
I reluctantly purchased it on Steam last night (full price makes me :(). Tried it this morning, and while it runs well, the lack of graphical options is pretty pathetic. I turned it to Extreme, even though it doesn't tell you what the hell that means.

So, is it better than War for Cybertron's PC version? That one was 30FPS-locked and had no anti-alias. >_> Is that the case with this as well? Any major issues, slowdowns, etc? The PC version was supposedly handled by another studio this time.

So what are their DLC plans?

This as well. Being locked out of DLC because I chose the PC version was NOT fun in WFC. >_>

Bog

Junior Ace
So, is it better than War for Cybertron's PC version? That one was 30FPS-locked and had no anti-alias. >_> Is that the case with this as well? Any major issues, slowdowns, etc? The PC version was supposedly handled by another studio this time.

This as well. Being locked out of DLC because I chose the PC version was NOT fun in WFC. >_>

It's a smooth 60fps on "Extra" graphics for me (according to Fraps). No clue how to access my G1 costume for Prime, though.

Top Bottom